NBA Draft Sleepers

1,137 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Quinton
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Crawfoso1973
Crawfoso1973
I always thought Bridges' game is much more suited for the NBA than it was for college. He has a very high floor to his game and teams know exactly what they are getting which is a prototypical 3 and D wing. I think he has very high probability of going in the mid to late 2nd round especially since this is a weaker draft.
BigGameBaylorBear
Jalen Bridges is 1 of my top 3 favorite Baylor players of all time, I will be buying his jersey
bear2be2
Crawfoso1973 said:

I always thought Bridges' game is much more suited for the NBA than it was for college. He has a very high floor to his game and teams know exactly what they are getting which is a prototypical 3 and D wing. I think he has very high probability of going in the mid to late 2nd round especially since this is a weaker draft.
His game was well-suited for both IMO. He was our most efficient offensive player last season. He just didn't have the alpha gene necessary to be a star.

But I'm with you. Whoever drafts/signs him will be getting a steal. He's a skilled, jack-of-all trades player who can help some NBA win games. They just have to be smart enough to give him a chance.
Crawfoso1973
bear2be2 said:

Crawfoso1973 said:

His game was well-suited for both IMO. He was our most efficient offensive player last season. He just didn't have the alpha gene necessary to be a star.

But I'm with you. Whoever drafts/signs him will be getting a steal. He's a skilled, jack-of-all trades player who can help some NBA win games. They just have to be smart enough to give him a chance.
Exactly, he is the kind of role player NBA teams covet. He isn't a star and doesn't try to be. At the NBA level they already have stars and high-usage players. They need unselfish, self-aware, high IQ guys like Bridges to complement their stars.
boykin_spaniel
I'm not a big NBA watcher. Can someone who is illuminate why Bridges isn't a late round 1 guy in a weak draft? He's 6'7" maybe a wee more, shoots a trey ball around 40%, free throws in 80s, defends well, will grab boards, will dive for loose balls, will pass to the star/hot hand, seems like a hard worker willing to put the time in, plus teammates seem to respect him. Is it really just his age? Were he 19 would he be a lottery guy?
IvanBear
boykin_spaniel said:

I'm not a big NBA watcher. Can someone who is illuminate why Bridges isn't a late round 1 guy in a weak draft? He's 6'7" maybe a wee more, shoots a trey ball around 40%, free throws in 80s, defends well, will grab boards, will dive for loose balls, will pass to the star/hot hand, seems like a hard worker willing to put the time in, plus teammates seem to respect him. Is it really just his age? Were he 19 would he be a lottery guy?
Age, the inability to turn it on at will, and the fact he was solid not elite. For all his consistency he would also no show offensively when we really really needed him to.
Crawfoso1973
boykin_spaniel said:

Age and perceived lack of upside. For better or worse most teams swing for the fences before taking a boring, safer player like Bridges.
Quinton
boykin_spaniel said:

Thought Bridges was great especially this past season.

But the pro scout knocks would be something like this. Motor runs extremely low at times. He can be weak with the ball and inconsistent ball handling. Has limited court vision. Can be bullied physically when his intensity is running low. Slight build, not as big a negative currently. Defense is good but didn't show great versatility against skilled guards, was solid v textbook wings. Decent but unspectacular athleticism. Above average to solid at many things, special at nothing. Perceived upside is limited.

And if 19 yrs old, yes would be a no doubt lottery pick. But that changes the entire projection. Just age is not the way they view it. Missi (if 24 yrs old) would probably be off the board. It's a big factor when calculating the upside they want.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.