Interesting Proposed Housing Development

1,946 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by southtexasbear
boxster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://wacotrib.com/news/local/government-politics/riverway-development-tif-waco-brazos/article_e98eb1f6-f850-11ee-8378-872276c93e01.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Wonder what school district...didn't see it mentioned.
Edmond Bear

I showed that to my wife this morning. We will definitely be keeping an eye on it to see what it looks like as it progresses. Planning to move to Waco in the next few years.
cowboycwr
Looks like it would be Bosqueville ISD.

boxster
cowboycwr said:

That's what I figured.
boxster
Edmond Bear said:

I showed that to my wife this morning. We will definitely be keeping an eye on it to see what it looks like as it progresses. Planning to move to Waco in the next few years.

The closest planned community to downtown in...ever?
southtexasbear
Wow. That's ALOT of homes! Good thing is it looks like it has to keep the natural river frontage due to the flood zone.
Beardown1919
boxster said:

cowboycwr said:

That's what I figured.

That's going to be a huge influx on a small district.
cowboycwr
Beardown1919 said:

boxster said:

cowboycwr said:

That's what I figured.

That's going to be a huge influx on a small district.
And they already had a major concern of an apartment complex that was planned/proposed in their district (not sure if it was approved) that had several hundred apartments in it.

I want to say it was planned for Steinbeck road but don't have the time to look it up right now.
CorsicanaBear
Apartments were planned for Speigelville at 19th and, because they were low income, would have been a problem. This planned development would come with much more in property taxes per student and more involved parents than a low income development. It may have the power to change the district for the better.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Beardown1919
Makes me think, on a smaller scale, how big housing developments around Jarrell really made that district explode overnight. I'm sure there's other examples.
StillNotChuck
southtexasbear said:

Wow. That's ALOT of homes! Good thing is it looks like it has to keep the natural river frontage due to the flood zone.

A lot of houses for that area! And if I remember correctly from the original article the marina will have around 170 boat slips which if it is true is crazy! Even if only a small percentage of them go on the river at once it will drive crazy traffic in the best part of the river. Also will create the need for a no wake zone by the marina on the best part of the river for wake boarding and related activities. I live on the river and between this and the proposed water treatment plant up stream the city is doing its best to negatively impact river. Housing in Waco is needed but the river will be impacted as far as recreational activity. Really bummed.
southtexasbear
Oh man. I totally missed the marina part.

The no wake from Waco drive to the stadium is understandable but brutal
southtexasbear
Edmond Bear
StillNotChuck said:

southtexasbear said:

A lot of houses for that area! And if I remember correctly from the original article the marina will have around 170 boat slips which if it is true is crazy! Even if only a small percentage of them go on the river at once it will drive crazy traffic in the best part of the river. Also will create the need for a no wake zone by the marina on the best part of the river for wake boarding and related activities. I live on the river and between this and the proposed water treatment plant up stream the city is doing its best to negatively impact river. Housing in Waco is needed but the river will be impacted as far as recreational activity. Really bummed.

From the video, it looks like the marina is not directly on the river.
StillNotChuck
But access to the river still seems to be a key part if they are having 170+ boat slips for residents…this will (a) significantly increase traffic on the river and (b) the entrance/exit from the marina will add a no wake zone in the area in the longest and deepest stretch of the river not currently with a no wake zone (at least below the shallows which are 1-2 feet deep max a bit further up river). Still a bummer. Again happy for the housing development but seems like there will be some unintended impacts on the river
BearlyNose
How many pretty pictures have we seen over the last ten years from some developer wanting TIF and never reaching the point of building. Except for some commercial buildings, I cannot think of a residential settlement that has come to fruition in any format where TIF was asked for. At $246k per acre, they are basically asking the district to cover their infrastructure costs without taking any material risk on their part. Seems to me their pockets aren't deep enough to make this development work, or at the least the development will turn out substantially different than the proposed PUD.
cowboycwr
BearlyNose said:

How many pretty pictures have we seen over the last ten years from some developer wanting TIF and never reaching the point of building. Except for some commercial buildings, I cannot think of a residential settlement that has come to fruition in any format where TIF was asked for. At $246k per acre, they are basically asking the district to cover their infrastructure costs without taking any material risk on their part. Seems to me their pockets aren't deep enough to make this development work, or at the least the development will turn out substantially different than the proposed PUD.
Good point.

I would add not just the last 10 years but closer to 15-20. Think of all the river developments proposed before McLane stadium was officially announced.

Not just pretty pictures and drawings but even videos made to show the vision of what was going to be built..... and almost none of it ever even got past that stage.
southtexasbear
TIFF board approved $130m and now going to council for next approval.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.