Going NIL rate for a top big man in portal....$1.2 million??

1,746 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Big12Fan2024
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We've heard these figures can be inflated for various reasons...but fwiw...that's the ballpark range for a top tier big man I guess.

gobears20
Staff
I bet these former basketball players are so mad, the ones before NIL.
IowaBear
Ballo is a good player. He sure as **** ain't worth 1.2 mill.
bear2be2
gobears20 said:

I bet these former basketball players are so mad, the ones before NIL.
I'm going to be interested to see what happens the first time one of those guys sues for back pay.
TWD 1974
IowaBear said:

If the IRS ever examines the 5013c status of the U of I NIL collective, I don't see how that kind of money for name, image, likeness could be considered a valid business expense. That said, if they start questioning tax exempt status the whole NIL game gets blown up.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
contrario
TWD 1974 said:

IowaBear said:

If the IRS ever examines the 5013c status of the U of I NIL collective, I don't see how that kind of money for name, image, likeness could be considered a valid business expense. That said, if they start questioning tax exempt status the whole NIL game gets blown up.
I don't see how the IRS could ever claim it isn't a valid business expense. If this was out of the norm for NIL money in comparable businesses, I could see the claim, but $1.2 million in NIL is a drop in the bucket compared to what athletes and other celebrities make.
Media Bear
boognish_bear said:

I do. IU throws around NIL like it's candy. Because they can …
Hee-hee, hee. Hee-hee, hee. Woo! -- Michael Jackson
A buppa-ba-ba, buppa-buppa-ba. -- Paula Abdul
Say yah-yah-yah. -- John Mellencamp
Ooh-ooh wee-oo ooh-ooh-ooh. -- Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones
De do-do-do. De da-da-da. Is all I want to say to you. -- Sting (Gordon Sumner)/The Police
Ramidi ma-ma ba-di-ma, ramidi ma-ma ba-din-doe. -- David Draiman/Disturbed
C-c-c-c-come on. -- George Michael
People on streets, ee-da-dee-da-dee-da-dee-da -- Freddie Mercury
parch
What does that number mean? One-year salary? Lump sum? Paid out over X years? Cash and/or equity?

I feel like we have these numbers flung at us constantly with no context.
Osodecentx
parch said:

What does that number mean? One-year salary? Lump sum? Paid out over X years? Cash and/or equity?

I feel like we have these numbers flung at us constantly with no context.

All good questions
Paid by whom, exactly? What entity? It isn't the school
Jbear90
I'm a CPA I have discussed this as well and media never mentions this. There is actually no business purpose for a charity to pay out fees like this. Are these rich donors getting charitable donations from this? IRS will be like they did with ERC credit may take years before they wake up and look at it. And with the schools saying they are not actually paying but you know the schools are obviously telling the donors hey we want this guy Oklahoma is offering 1 million can you beat it.
boykin_spaniel
Nobody knows except the players and people making the payouts. Numbers fly around the web with twitter folks claiming a source close to X player or Y school said Z number. Plenty of reason after a player settles on a school for someone trying to get him more money to release a number to try and see if a school would actually pony up such a hefty sum.

Roach's crystal ball goes to Baylor on 247 and the next trending tweet on the matter is we are offering him around $1.5million.
Fre3dombear
Always curious how the payouts are made like a recurring paycheck ACHd every 2 weeks? Conditional? If they get hurt or transfer what happens to money paid in full or remaining?
Big12Fan2024
Fre3dombear said:

Always curious how the payouts are made like a recurring paycheck ACHd every 2 weeks? Conditional? If they get hurt or transfer what happens to money paid in full or remaining?
I don't know if there is any consistency anywhere. The two I know about from cooperatives involved small payments upfront but the large balance wouldn't be paid until the end of the academic year. Neither of these happened at Baylor though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.