UConn Awaits

2,428 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Big12Bear
IowaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BU at UConn in BE B12 Battle
Big12Fan2024
Is this the annual Baylor drubbing game? This could end up like the Marquette and Michigan St games.
Houston gets it easy again. Butler? Houston is currently projected 1st next year and finished in 1st this year. They should either go to Storrs or host UConn in Houston. We should be hosting Butler, Drew's alma mater.
IvanBear
Just wonderful. Not loving that matchup one bit with the way our front court is trending.
IowaBear
It'll be tough but UConn loses a ton! They have to makeover their entire roster for the most part.
ddminct
You guys are looking at this all wrong. They paired up the 2 coaches that told Kentucky to go take a hike. I look forward to seeing Baylor up here in Connecticut
Big12Fan2024
IowaBear said:

It'll be tough but UConn loses a ton! They have to makeover their entire roster for the most part.
If UConn ends up signing McNeely as expected they will be preseason Top 3 with Kansas and Houston. But both teams will definitely be playing with remade rosters so we will see.
Big12Fan2024
ddminct said:

You guys are looking at this all wrong. They paired up the 2 coaches that told Kentucky to go take a hike. I look forward to seeing Baylor up here in Connecticut
I saw a funny social media post that said it was the battle where the losing coach had to immediately go to Lexington and spend 1 week.
IowaBear
They're losing Castle, Clingman, Spencer, Newton and another put his name in draft but may come back.
No way in hell they'll be as good next year as they were this past season.
Big12Fan2024
IowaBear said:

They're losing Castle, Clingman, Spencer, Newton and another put his name in draft but may come back.
No way in hell they'll be as good next year as they were this past season.

McNeely by himself is a better shooter than anyone on our entire roster and they've basically filled each of those spots with guys who put up similar numbers not to mention they are still in on 3 of the Top 8 rated transfers. Plus, the have the single best X's and O's coach in college basketball bar none. They will be in the conversation for national championship again.

And you say that as if we didn't lose anyone. We basically have a marginal guard returning in Nunn who was erratic the entire season and a gifted offensive, awful defensive gimpy 6th man returning in Love, and still learning turnover prone big in Josh. The rest are new faces just like UConn.
IowaBear
Mcneely hasn't played a college game yet but is magically a better shooter than anyone on our squad.
We should probably just forfeit. UConn has you shaking in your boots for some reason. VJ is and will be a much much better player than Liam as they go through college and the pros.
bear2be2
There's no downside to a game like this. Even if you get killed, no one cares. And if you win it, it's a resume-maker.
BusyTarpDuster2017
bear2be2 said:

There's no downside to a game like this. Even if you get killed, no one cares. And if you win it, it's a resume-maker.
Agreed, except that I think we'd care if we get killed, at least I hope.

It's always good to play the best programs if you want to be the best. We should be welcoming it and not be defeatist about it. Good way to measure ourselves, plus I think top recruits like programs that do that.
bear2be2
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

bear2be2 said:

Agreed, except that I think we'd care if we get killed, at least I hope.

It's always good to play the best programs if you want to be the best. We should be welcoming it and not be defeatist about it. Good way to measure ourselves, plus I think top recruits like programs that do that.
Fans will care. But it won't hurt the perception of your team.

Observers nationally will take it for what it is. An early-season nonconference game.
Fre3dombear
Aren't we supposed to be getting like 3 mega studs that'll put us basically top 5 and rebuilding like most everyone else except houston ?
IvanBear
Fre3dombear said:

Aren't we supposed to be getting like 3 mega studs that'll put us basically top 5 and rebuilding like most everyone else except houston ?

It does not seem like we are in leading contention for anyone of note beyond Roach at this point unless something changes dramatically.
IowaBear
We have no idea. You're just speculating at this point.
Fre3dombear
IvanBear said:

Fre3dombear said:

It does not seem like we are in leading contention for anyone of note beyond Roach at this point unless something changes dramatically.

That's not the official Word from this site
BearlyBeloved
Wow! What a bunch of optimists!
IvanBear
IowaBear said:

We have no idea. You're just speculating at this point.
I'm not saying we're not in contention, I'm saying it's not hard to find on twitter/pay for it sources that as of right now, public consensus is we're not the leading contender. Logic also says if you don't lock them down on the visit or shortly thereafter, chances are good you're no longer the leading contender.

I will say I'm not saying *anyone* I'm saying the two big names linked with us over the weeked. I'm still hopeful Aidoo and Igor come here, but those Arkansas guys think they can money whip him.
historian
We hosted Butler a few years ago. It was a great game.

Mark Vital was a stud.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
It's a great marquee match up. It might even motivate our players to be their best & get better. For the past few years, they always play well against Kansas & Texas, whether at home or in the road. Why should UConn be different. The same is true for every marquee opponent: Butler, Nova, Gonzaga, etc.

I hate that we have to wait months to see how our schedule will shake out. At least some of it will trickle out during that time.
wongobear
Why should we be afraid to play #1. We've been ranked #1 A LOT. If the game is in Storrs, they will be favored, but we will be playing with house money. Sic 'em
Stefano DiMera
And there's no guarantee they'll even be #1 by the time we play them.
parch
historian said:

We hosted Butler a few years ago. It was a great game.

Mark Vital was a stud.
Just doomsdayers. We have tons of huge noncon wins. UCLA, Gonzaga, Villanova (which only scored 36 points), Illinois, Arizona were all top 10 when we beat them, and that's just off the top from the last couple years.
MrGolfguy
Just beat Connecticut!
historian
Good point but here's the record of ranked non conference wins with some corrections:

2022-23: #8 UCLA, #14 Gonzaga
2021-22: #6 Nova
2020-21: #5 Illinois, #18 Nova, #10 Arkansas, #6 Houston, #1 Gonzaga (national title!)
2019-20: #17 Nova, #12 Arizona, #18 Butler
Big12Bear
Bears will get a nice tune-up prior to facing the Huskies at Baha Mar in late November. Tennessee, St John's and UVA are in it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.