Women's Final draws 18.7 million viewers

974 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by MrGolfguy
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
boognish_bear
IowaBear
It'll be interesting to see how significant Clark was to those numbers. I'd be surprised if they don't drop significantly
BUatbirth
IowaBear said:

It'll be interesting to see how significant Clark was to those numbers. I'd be surprised if they don't drop significantly
Yep…thank you Caitlin "the engine" Clark
EvilTroyAndAbed
IowaBear said:

They will. It'll still be great numbers to what they were 5-10 years ago, but I'm thinking without Clark and Reese and those personalities, not as many people will be interested in it. Unless Juju has an incredible personality.
boognish_bear
whitetrash
boognish_bear said:

The 1979 Bird v. Magic NCAA final was the most watched NCAA basketball game in history.

Viewership for the 1980 matchup between Darrell Griffith of Louisville v. Kiki Vandeweghe of UCLA was off by 30-35% from the previous year.
blackie
boognish_bear said:

A factor that is not being mentioned is the timing of the two events and the days on which they were played. The women's game was on Sunday afternoon (hint, hint.....you know the same time slot during which NFL games are played during their season). The men's game didn't start until about 9:00 PM (CST) on a work night. I stopped watching at halftime. The men's tournament games just started too late, especially for those on the east coast. They lost viewers because of the start time without question. If you are fan of one of the teams of course you watched, but casual observers who didn't give a flip as to who won were not going to stay up to see the end.

Perhaps you still would have seen the women having more viewers than men if the games had been at the same time and same slot, but I doubt it. Certainly Clark was an attraction, but if you don't factor in when the games were played they are not even comparing apples to oranges.
MrGolfguy
Caitlin Clark > Zach Edey
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.