Going without alcohol

4,027 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nevadafoothill
fadskier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tomorrow will be one week without liquor. I kind of challenged myself to go the month of January without...now I am wondering why...I can...I just don't want to.
Mitch Blood Green
fadskier said:

Tomorrow will be one week without liquor. I kind of challenged myself to go the month of January without...now I am wondering why...I can...I just don't want to.

I'll hold you down. Looking at some Belle Glos with dinner tomorrow.
BellCountyBear
Why do that to yourself?
fubar
tommie said:

fadskier said:

I'll hold you down. Looking at some Belle Glos with dinner tomorrow.
With enough Belle Glos, you won't have to hold him down.

That's what somebody told me at least.
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
fadskier
BellCountyBear said:

Why do that to yourself?
I've been drinking three days per week for a few months now...no stress or anything, just love the stuff...thought I should slow it down....but am rethinking that...
bularry
I'm going dry from Jan 2 - 30. Will be the longest stretch I've gone without a drink in several years.

I figured my liver could use the break, I'll save a little money and my wife is trying to lose a few lbs. Hopefully all accomplished by Friday the 31st!
quash
fadskier said:

BellCountyBear said:

Why do that to yourself?
I've been drinking three days per week for a few months now...no stress or anything, just love the stuff...thought I should slow it down....but am rethinking that...
It will be good practice for when your body turns on you and gives you a hangover when you didn't even get a buzz.
fadskier
quash said:

fadskier said:

BellCountyBear said:

Why do that to yourself?
It will be good practice for when your body turns on you and gives you a hangover when you didn't even get a buzz.
Have yet to experience that...
BaylorGuy314
quash said:

fadskier said:

BellCountyBear said:

Why do that to yourself?
Been there.

BUrbon
Intermittent Fasting. That's where it's at folks.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
For circumstances beyond my control. I go 4 months dry, drink beer for a week at Christmas, then another 4 months dry then 3 months of beer and rum. At one point in my life I was a weekend alcoholic. I lost about 50 lpbs over two years on my current schedule.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
fadskier
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

For circumstances beyond my control. I go 4 months dry, drink beer for a week at Christmas, then another 4 months dry then 3 months of beer and rum. At one point in my life I was a weekend alcoholic. I lost about 50 lpbs over two years on my current schedule.
I've gotten down to drinking one night per week.

BTW, I would love to drink with all you guys...no politics allowed.
Bearitto
fadskier said:

It's worth it. Just to prove you can. Personally I sleep better, wake fresher, work better and maintain a healthy weight while eating trash. Add booze and my weight just jumps up.

Good luck!
Keyser Soze

Sort of the same thing caloriewise .....

Similar experience giving up Blue Bell

TenBears
One of my fitness gurus says it's in large part a sugar thing. Booze is sugar and by God your body wants it. Personally my sugar addiction has been unbeatable. I'm 6'1 188 which is OK. But losing those last 10 pounds has been impossible just because sugar has just flat got me.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
fadskier said:

I've gotten down to drinking one night per week.

BTW, I would love to drink with all you guys...no politics allowed.
I will drink with anybody and buy the first round.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Mitch Blood Green
BUrbon said:

Dating married women works better. When her husband comes home you've gotta run and it gets your heart rate up. (You can thank me later).
hustlenflow
tommie said:

BUrbon said:

Dating married women works better. When her husband comes home you've gotta run and it gets your heart rate up. (You can thank me later).
Plus you can't go back to that bar again.
saabing bear
About 38 years ago I realized I had a drinking problem - the more I drank the drunker I got and the drunker I got the more I drank. Had a big stash of booze because I was a buyer and the salesmen brought me presents every Christmas. Finally dumped it all out and our drains ran great for months.

Tee totaled for 12 years. Tried some non alcoholic brews for a while and finally started back with an occasional beer. Haven't had any problems with it since. Crystal meth is enough for me. (JK)
RegentCoverup
saabing bear said:

About 38 years ago I realized I had a drinking problem - the more I drank the drunker I got and the drunker I got the more I drank. Had a big stash of booze because I was a buyer and the salesmen brought me presents every Christmas. Finally dumped it all out and our drains ran great for months.

Tee totaled for 12 years. Tried some non alcoholic brews for a while and finally started back with an occasional beer. Haven't had any problems with it since. Crystal meth is enough for me. (JK)
Good for you. I've known plenty of addicts and I'm happy to applaud and salute any person that embraces their own will power to make a positive difference in their life.

Keep kicking ass.
El Oso
I take a month off every once in awhile if I feel things are getting away from me. I usually drink a few times a week, but if I hit a patch of drinking every night for a month, I will back off. Addiction runs in the family, so I try to monitor addictive things. Last time I did one was November 2019.

I second the intermittent fasting. Down 80+ pounds in 13 months tomorrow morning.
Yogi
I'm a lawyer, so Whiskey is like Gatorade to me.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
william
{ sipping coffee }

{ eating donut }

- BUmma

go bears!!!
quash
I'm a lawyer, and whiskey is like alcohol to me.
TenBears
A world within wine is one I don't want to live in. Happy though to have beer and the hard stuff (except occasionally) in the rear view mirror.
Yogi
quash said:

I'm a lawyer, and whiskey is like alcohol to me.

Whatever works.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
ABC BEAR
I've never drank booze and my last beer was in February, 1986. That only sounds like a long time until I consider how it's been since I've been laid,.
Pecos 45
I enjoy having cocktails with friends. The social aspects of the neighborhood pub, or bar, are cool.

I do not enjoy getting drunk.

But many is the time I go right up to that edge.

(Let everyone drink as much, or less, as they wish.)

“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Pecos 45

I will drink with anybody and buy the first round.
Meet me at George's in the spring.
The second one is on me.

Damn, I need a trip to Waco to feel those college genes one more time.
(It was a better world.)
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Stemperford
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

saabing bear said:

Good for you. I've known plenty of addicts and I'm happy to applaud and salute any person that embraces their own will power to make a positive difference in their life.

Keep kicking ass.
I saw a lot of people addicted to alcohol having a hard time changing their life, but with own will and discipline they changed (well not all but a few). Keep up the positive move dude!

Why is addiction to alcohol easier 'treated' than with of smoking addiction?
nevadafoothill
Being an alcoholic and smoker are both contributory to life-threatening diseases such as cancer. Well for the case of an alcoholic being treated depends on the stage of his dependency. I guess both are critical.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.