Your Favorite Car You've Ever Owned?

7,461 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by REvansBU71
Bearitto
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's that car you really liked for the time in your life you drove it?

I'm torn between my Mustang and my Dodge Durango. Totally different cars but both great.
Mr. Bearitto was banned by the cowardly site owners because he stated that U.S. battleships should not be named after weak victims like Emmett Till, like Robby suggested. Apparently the site owners want a ship named in their honor some day. ;)
nevadafoothill
Mine is Evo 7
Oldbear83
I had a Dodge Shadow, model year 1989. Surprising agility and very useful, back seat could fold down and provide a lot of space for cargo. and the hatchback was very useful.

Got hit by a drunk driver doing 90 in 1994, despite the impact the cabin held together very well, car was totaled but I escaped any major injury.
curtpenn
My first car was a '65 Impala SS purchased with money saved up from mowing lawns for a long time back in '73. I've tended toward European sports sedans or coupes since my Chevy was stolen and stripped while I was home for Christmas during my Baylor days - couple of BMWs, Volvos, a Saab, Jaguar, etc. Loved them all. Ironically, came back to my first domestic car a couple of years ago and have to say it's probably my favorite ride - another coupe from the General, a 2018 Cadillac ATS with 6-spd manual. Just a whole lot of fun and trouble free so far.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Can't really say I've had a favorite car, but I did enjoy beating the hell out of my F150. Saltwater got it before a thief took it.
OsoCoreyell
1985 GMC Jimmy. Perfect car for Baylor. Loved it, loved it, loved it!
quash
'64 1/2 Mustang, white with white vinyl top, aftermarket a/c on the center floorboard.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
midgett
My first was a Plymouth Valiant. It was a generic family car at the time. I was so glad to move on from it at the time. I'd take it back in a heartbeat today.

I know this is Texas but I really love my 2020 Honda Ridgeline.
Oldbear83
midgett: "I know this is Texas but I really love my 2020 Honda Ridgeline."

Hey, that's almost a pick-up truck, so you're ahead of lots of folks!
william
walked past a new F250 ayer, and thought I'd checkle la precia de....

Shiiitt faaaar, 'migos.

Them sum bucks start at 45k and corre hasta the mid 80s.

Hijole...........

- el BUmma

{ tomando cafe }

{ comiendo pan dulce }

... and me disculpo para the maldicion arriba.

midgett
Oldbear83 said:

Oldbear83
midgett said:

Oldbear83 said:

I kid, I drive a Nissan Frontier now myself.

Booray
Easy. My first. 1967 Mustang.
midgett
Oldbear83 said:

midgett said:

Oldbear83 said:

I kid, I drive a Nissan Frontier now myself.

It was a great line. I'll be using it myself.

What's a bit crazy is I was deciding between a Porsche (hoity toity) and a Honda Ridgeline. Kinda weird. I did my usual and went with practical.

I get 20 mpg, have as much passenger space as my previous midsized SUV, have a modest truck bed and a big storage space in the trunk. Plus, it's size means I can maneuver well. I realize I'm not in a F150 or other testosterone truck but I could not be more pleased.

After riding in my brother's 2018 F250 all weekend moving stuff, it confirmed I didn't want huge. He absolutely needs a big powerful truck. Mine will rarely touch dirt.
BaylorOkie
OsoCoreyell said:

1985 GMC Jimmy. Perfect car for Baylor. Loved it, loved it, loved it!
That's awesome.

I loved my '90 Bronco II that I had for a while at Baylor.
BellCountyBear
I really still love my 2011 BMW 535i with 193,000 miles. Completely dependable, fuel efficient (30mpg hwy) and can do 0-60 in 5.2 when I need it.
Bear8084
Most fun was my 99 Firebird right out of high school. My best car I have owned is my current 2017 VW GTI.
Stranger
I can barely remember them all but the ones I liked the best was a used 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air, tropical turquoise with an India ivory top, 283 cubic inch, 283 hp, power pack. Great car and great car.

A new 1967 Camaro. First year of production. This car was Chevy's answer to the Mustang. It was a much better car than the Mustang.
I'm a Bearbacker
Nguyen One Soon
My current ride is probably my favorite, a 2018 Kia Stinger. Most of my vehicles through the years have practicality driven. I did have a 1980 VW Diesel Pickup that was fun to drive, and got about 50 mpg. Put a camper shell on it and had Sinclair Bedding make a custom mattress for it.
CSIBear
My first car was a 1991 Geo Metro, convertible. Needless to say, it was not my favorite. Had a few rX7s after that and currently drive a Golf GTI as my daily.

In 06 I bought a 2004 GTO. I loved that car. More power than I needed and while heavy it was a blast to drive and sounded great. It was the last car I could completely work on myself. Almost no computers in it. Kinda miss it some days.
midgett
I drove a 1976 Bicentennial edition Chevy Chevette my first two years at Baylor. I also didn't have a date my first two years at Baylor. Coincidence? I think not.

(I was also working 60 hours a week.)
quash
Stranger said:

A new 1967 Camaro. First year of production. This car was Chevy's answer to the Mustang. It was a much better car than the Mustang.
Well shoot. Now we have to fight before we have a beer.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
midgett said:

I drove a 1976 Bicentennial edition Chevy Chevette my first two years at Baylor. I also didn't have a date my first two years at Baylor. Coincidence? I think not.

Ha, in SUB Board we drove a pack of those Easter eggs in the '76 Homecoming parade.
Oldbear83
midgett said:

My dad gave a Chevette to my sister as a graduation gift, with the condition that she had to share it with me until I got my own car. This meant I did a lot of the driving on trips home.

The reason I mention this, is that the Chevette leaves the ground a little, sort of starts a small hop, once you get to 82 mph. My sister was not happy to leave the ground like we were a wingless Cessna trying to reach V1.
curtpenn
BellCountyBear said:

I really still love my 2011 BMW 535i with 193,000 miles. Completely dependable, fuel efficient (30mpg hwy) and can do 0-60 in 5.2 when I need it.
Treated myself a number of years ago to a 2009 528i. Loved that car until around 60,000 miles. By 100,000 it just had to go. Most pleasing driving dynamic to me of any car I've ever owned, but every gasket, seal, joint, accessory, etc that could leak or fail, did. Once the Vanos system started failing, I bailed out. Still miss the driving experience, but not the ownership experience. I had a 735 back in the '90s and had a similar experience. Said I'd never get another one, but I'm easily seduced. Lol. Maybe in another 10 years... Glad you've got a good one. Probably my favorite sedan...in theory.
Stranger
quash said:

Stranger said:

Well shoot. Now we have to fight before we have a beer.

My brother had a 65 Mustang. I drove them both. The Mustang was lightweight, bounced and had a hard time holding the road. Chevy called that first Camaro "The Hugger". And really did hug the road.
I'm a Bearbacker
midgett
curtpenn said:

BellCountyBear said:

Treated myself a number of years ago to a 2009 528i. Loved that car until around 60,000 miles. By 100,000 it just had to go. Most pleasing driving dynamic to me of any car I've ever owned, but every gasket, seal, joint, accessory, etc that could leak or fail, did. Once the Vanos system started failing, I bailed out. Still miss the driving experience, but not the ownership experience. I had a 735 back in the '90s and had a similar experience. Said I'd never get another one, but I'm easily seduced. Lol. Maybe in another 10 years... Glad you've got a good one. Probably my favorite sedan...in theory.
I like your distinction. Driving experience vs ownership experience.

Lots of vehicles are fun until the warranty is up.

Lots of vehicles may not be so fun but are great to own long after the warranty is up.

Hopefully, my latest meets both!
TechDawgMc
curtpenn said:

My first car was a '65 Impala SS purchased with money saved up from mowing lawns for a long time back in '73. I've tended toward European sports sedans or coupes since my Chevy was stolen and stripped while I was home for Christmas during my Baylor days - couple of BMWs, Volvos, a Saab, Jaguar, etc. Loved them all. Ironically, came back to my first domestic car a couple of years ago and have to say it's probably my favorite ride - another coupe from the General, a 2018 Cadillac ATS with 6-spd manual. Just a whole lot of fun and trouble free so far.
I had a 65 Impala SS. I did a lot of work on it -- adding new seat covers and carpet and putting a pretty solid stereo system into it. Was working on getting it repainted when it threw a rod. That was a bummer, it really was a pretty fun car to drive.
fubar
Booray said:

Easy. My first. 1967 Mustang.
Allow me to illustrate a person (16 year old me) with some serious misplaced priorities. Most days I had the choice of two cars to drive to school. A 1966 Mustang. And, of course ...

I chose the Wagon.

It had AC.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I have always drove cheap cars. My first was a 1967 Catalina in 76. It was reliable but the huge back seat always caused me trouble.

My favorites: the 72 Triumph I bought in 77. The tranverse suspension made corners fun
The two red Miatas I wore out in the the 90's.

I havent owned a car 9 years I keep my 2014 Heritage Classic ay my brothers house in Waco and drive ride it when I am in the states. I have owned several HD's but its my favorite. 2nd would be the purple Savage 650. i looked just like Prince riding that bike looking for Apollonia. I totaled that bike and walked away (till the ambulance convinced me I should get checked out.
HunterBear
It would be my car while at Baylor: 1966 Mustang, white w/black vinyl top, running mustangs across the back seat, faux wood grain steering wheel and door handles, mag wheels, white letter tires, glasspack dual exhaust. Lot of fun to drive.

My second favorite was a 65 Chevy pickup. My first and only "three on the wheel" vehicle. Very dependable.
curtpenn
TechDawgMc said:

curtpenn said:

I had a 65 Impala SS. I did a lot of work on it -- adding new seat covers and carpet and putting a pretty solid stereo system into it. Was working on getting it repainted when it threw a rod. That was a bummer, it really was a pretty fun car to drive.
Had mine for about 3 years and my dad and I overhauled just about everything on it including pulling the motor and replacing with a rebuilt shortblock. Finished it all off with a fresh paint job. It looked and ran like a new car. 3 months later it was gone. Broke my heart.
RegentCoverup
curtpenn said:

BellCountyBear said:

I had a similar experience with a 3-series. Loved it.
Owning it? Not so much. Prices are too expensive for parts, good mechanics are rare and it has potential problems that few people can even imagine. A plastic seal can break and it's a 1k fix. ***.

If I lived in Germany, or an area more populated, I'd think about that or a Mercedes again, but being remote in Texas and having car trouble sucks. At this point, I'm more fixated on the Mercedes, but I've heard similar problems and stories.

I'm now on Land Cruiser #5. I have dedicated mechanics and a rolodex of parts dealers, everything is easy to fix and it goes anywhere.

Lesson learned: There are good cars, and there are good cars for living in Texas.

Also, pay attention to safety ratings. Luxury vehicles makers will blow that off if they think you don't care...
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Pea Weevil
1986 Honda Prelude. Bought it for $12,785 the day I graduated from Baylor and drove for 22 years and 212,000 miles. On an unrelated note I spent Thanksgiving replacing the clutch on my niece's 2010 Chevy Cobalt. Took two very long days but it is all good now. Next time though I'm hiring somebody else for that chore.

Pea Weevil
REvansBU71
I had a lot of great cars....Porsche 911's, Mercs, a Ferrari, Maserati, Jag, Lotus, etc, but my current car is my absolute favorite:
2014 Tesla Model S P85.
Very powerful, free Supercharging for life, smooth, comfortable, beautiful, no maintenance except tires.

I may be buried in it.

BTW, welcome to Texas, Elon Musk!!
Any Trump

“And if you do-oo.....” - Lt. Hauk
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.