I Hate Car Dealerships

5,140 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldbear83
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love my truck. It's a 2010 Nissan Frontier with 120k miles and its done everything I wanted. But a couple weeks ago I got that infamous 'service engine now' light and funny sounds from where the engine meets the ******. Cutting to the chase, my mechanic says my ABS pump needs to be replaced and that can only be done at the dealer.

So I am thinking about this and it occurs to me it may be time to get a new truck. So I started shopping but also want to find out about the repairs, just how much they will cost if I go that way and whether other expensive things are likely to go wrong.

That's where things got tough.

I get that no one wants to commit ahead of time to a firm cost, but I cannot even get a ball park estimate on what it would cost. I do not want to dump money into a repair that only delays having to get a new truck, but given the cost of new vehicles, I am not interested in just assuming my old 2010 truck needs to be put down.

But what really galls me are the people who use links to misdirect. For instance, I went to Sterling McCall and found their service page, which included a chat link to ask questions. So I wrote my question and provided my contact email and phone. Soon after I got a response, which I thought was great until I read it.

All it was, was a form email giving me a phone number and link to start my purchase of a new car. They did not even read my message, much less answer it.

2 other dealerships only allow you to schedule service, you cannot even ask questions.

I wonder if they have any idea what that does to my likelihood of buying a truck from those yokels.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
RegentCoverup
You're not wrong.

I send a formal, legal bid via email. If they accept it, they have a deal, subject to my final inspection on a few issues. I generally only buy lightly used. And I only buy vehicles that I know. And i know the models for a few vehicles better than any salesman or dealer will ever know. So I don't need their salespitch or bs advice.

An auto executive of a major automaker once told me, "We will never hire someone who has the stench of a car dealer on their resume."

They aren't wrong.

Key is to never set foot on their lot.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
br53
The part is 100-250 depending on if you buy new or aftermarket plus about 350 labor. I would say if you get out of the repair for less than 600 youre doing good. However we both know, that once it gets in a service department it will escalate as they "find" more items. Can your mechanic turn off the light and go trade it in? These dealerships are giving alot of money right now on trades.
SMack
I have a '91 Plymouth Acclaim for sale, if you're interested.
Stefano DiMera
Yes...used cars are going way over value..Kelly Blue book on my Pathfinder was 10k..they gave me 13k
BellCountyBear
Car dealer DNA is not much different than lawyers, insurance salesmen and medical doctors.
Bexar Pitts
BellCountyBear said:

Car dealer DNA is not much different than lawyers, insurance salesmen and medical doctors.
Don't forget politicians.
Oldbear83
br53 said:

The part is 100-250 depending on if you buy new or aftermarket plus about 350 labor. I would say if you get out of the repair for less than 600 youre doing good. However we both know, that once it gets in a service department it will escalate as they "find" more items. Can your mechanic turn off the light and go trade it in? These dealerships are giving alot of money right now on trades.
Got two quotes back so far:

(1) $800 part, $1700 labor, $2500 total

(2) $1100 part, $1350 labor, $2450 total

I have also been doing research on dealerships, had to stop twice to wash my hands, some of them are so dirty.
br53
Trade it
Oldbear83
br53 said:

Trade it
She who Speaks says no.

She's got a point. Insurance would be full coverage on the new ride where we pay just liability and no/under-insured motorist now. Also, I am getting a car for my daughter and that will also kick up the premium.

Also, a new truck would get attention. I like my old, nothing-to-see-here truck.

So ... probably going to get it fixed and hope nothing else goes wrong.
bularry
attract attention from who, exactly? interesting phrase
Oldbear83
bularry said:

attract attention from who, exactly? interesting phrase
People who smash windows before finding out whether there is anything worth stealing inside the vehicle.
Ghostrider
I actually love haggling with the dealer. Most of the time you have the upper hand for new cars, depending on inventory and such. Used cars you can't bargain the price on but you can get a lot of free services. Touch ups, repair any dings, change out brakes, etc.

Sending an email stating your best price doesn't do much. Dealers get hundreds of those emails a day.
Ghostrider
Oldbear83 said:

br53 said:

Trade it
She who Speaks says no.

She's got a point. Insurance would be full coverage on the new ride where we pay just liability and no/under-insured motorist now. Also, I am getting a car for my daughter and that will also kick up the premium.

Also, a new truck would get attention. I like my old, nothing-to-see-here truck.

So ... probably going to get it fixed and hope nothing else goes wrong.

Don't worry, you won't get attention in a new truck. They're all over the road.not like you are buying a Ferrari.
fadskier
Ghostrider said:

I actually love haggling with the dealer. Most of the time you have the upper hand for new cars, depending on inventory and such. Used cars you can't bargain the price on but you can get a lot of free services. Touch ups, repair any dings, change out brakes, etc.

Sending an email stating your best price doesn't do much. Dealers get hundreds of those emails a day.
I've purchased my last three cars by email. I drive and find out what I like then start haggling with dealers via email.
Oldbear83
Talked to two car salesmen today. Now fighting the urge to break something.
br53
I deal with a young lady at Classic Chevy in Sugar Land named Kristen. Very nice young lady. I tell her what I'm looking for and what type of terms I want. She looks atriums and finds it for me then works out the details without much fuss. I tell her what I am looking for over the phone and she calls me after she finds the vehicle and I only go in after she has it ready for a test drive. I spend maybe 1-2 hours in the store.
bularry
br53 said:

I deal with a young lady at Classic Chevy in Sugar Land named Kristen. Very nice young lady. I tell her what I'm looking for and what type of terms I want. She looks atriums and finds it for me then works out the details without much fuss. I tell her what I am looking for over the phone and she calls me after she finds the vehicle and I only go in after she has it ready for a test drive. I spend maybe 1-2 hours in the store.
nice... should swing by casa bularry when you come down. i ain't too far away
br53
bularry said:

br53 said:

nice... should swing by casa bularry when you come down. i ain't too far away

I live in Sugar Land. 10 minutes from the dealership
Ghostrider
fadskier said:

Ghostrider said:

I've purchased my last three cars by email. I drive and find out what I like then start haggling with dealers via email.

What brand?
BUwolverine2012
go to a nice dealer like Sewell. ive had great experiences thus far. no haggle, they've agreed to what i've asked each time
Be present in all things and thankful for all things.
Oldbear83
Wasted my day going to dealerships. Nothing suitable on the lots, no good deals offered either.
RegentCoverup
fadskier said:

Ghostrider said:

This is sage advice. Meet my price or I just hang up.
This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
Oldbear83
Two dealerships had trucks so long outside I found rust on them, and one truck had been repainted recently, because there were paint drops on the front left tire.

LIB,MR BEARS
There is a semiconductor chip shortage right now. Depending on the make and model you are looking for, it may be difficult to find a car right now. I know 2021 Mazdas are being impacted right now as inventories at many Mazda dealership are very light tight now. Other imports are also affected. I don't know about domestics.

If you go pre-owned, I suggest certified preowned so you get the benefit of the manufacturer warranty.

If you go with something outside of the manufacturer warranty, there's a lady that calls me frequently about my soon-to-be expiring warranty. I can hook you up with her.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/empty-lots-angry-customers-chip-crisis-throws-wrench-into-car-business-11620909719

Ghostrider
New trucks with rust?
Oldbear83
Ghostrider said:

New trucks with rust?
Yep. And none of them washed in at least a month. Speaks to the quality of maintenance.
Bexar Pitts
Oldbear83 said:

Ghostrider said:

New trucks with rust?
Yep. And none of them washed in at least a month. Speaks to the quality of maintenance.
Hope that's not from salt water exposure..
Oldbear83
Bexar Pitts said:

Oldbear83 said:

Ghostrider said:

New trucks with rust?
I do recall we had floods ...
LIB,MR BEARS
Oldbear83 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Oldbear83 said:

Ghostrider said:

New trucks with rust?
go to any car dealer, new or used, and you will find cars with rusted rotors. It takes about a week for rotors to start showing rust. If the rust is elsewhere, it may be an issue. If it's the rotors, it may signify nothing.
Oldbear83
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Oldbear83 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Oldbear83 said:

Ghostrider said:

New trucks with rust?
go to any car dealer, new or used, and you will find cars with rusted rotors. It takes about a week for rotors to start showing rust. If the rust is elsewhere, it may be an issue. If it's the rotors, it may signify nothing.
It's a number of things. Signs a vehicle has not moved in a long time, in a row of such vehicles, for example.
Bexar Pitts
Oldbear83 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Oldbear83 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Oldbear83 said:

Ghostrider said:

New trucks with rust?
It's a number of things. Signs a vehicle has not moved in a long time, in a row of such vehicles, for example.
Article talks of rust on new vehicles.. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35726969/2021-ford-f-150-pickups-rust-reported/
LIB,MR BEARS
Oldbear83 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Oldbear83 said:

Bexar Pitts said:

Oldbear83 said:

Ghostrider said:

New trucks with rust?
that's called lot rot. Have them test the battery and make sure you see the print out of the test then.
Oldbear83
At Mossy Nissan today, having my truck looked at. So far they have found multiple sensor issues, now they are trying to confirm if it is multiple problems or one causing multiple issues.

That is, they know about as much as I did before I drove it in, but at least they are being honest.

Took my "day off" from work, but already had a phone conference with my controller and my team leader about training the new employee, and which employees can work from home and when.

OddFire71
You wont find a better time to sell/trade your old truck than right now. Used car prices are WAY up right now.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.