Hecho En Waco

3,017 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by PartyBear
CorsicanaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

300 South 6th. Anybody been? Looks good, but is it any good?
Illigitimus non carborundum
PartyBear
I have heard great things about it as a matter of fact.
docoso
I had a great meal there Friday night and recommended it to one of my employees and she and her husband also thought it was very good on Saturday.

BTW, I also grew up in Corsicana. Hecho was much better than anything we had there.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

I also grew up in Corsicana. Hecho was much better than anything we had there.
No joke. When the choices are Old Mexican Inn and Don Jose's, there isn't much.

I was disappointed when I moved to Waco. The choices are basically Chuy's and nothing else. On The Border is not good, you take your chances with food poisoning at Ninfa's, and truly all the locals are no better than the above mentioned in Corsicana. You'd think we had enough going on here to get a local scaled down version of El Tiempo here. Or at least a Pappacitos.
docoso
OK, I know you are looking for upscale, but think outside the box and try Rufi's Cocina at 1801 N 25th St.
It is a hole-in-the-wall, but has amazing, fresh Michoacan-style Mexican food, owned and run by a single family.
For atmosphere, leave the area!
1outawayBear
https://sicem365.com/forums/19/topics/14024
CorsicanaBear
Thanks for the recommendation on Rufi's, sounds pretty good. But its a lunch place only, looks like it closes at 3pm or 4pm on Sunday's. Doesn't look like it has a bar either (can't tell for sure).
CorsicanaBear
So I have now been to Hecho en Waco twice. Once on a friday night and once on a tuesday night. The food is good but not over the top great. Its better than the long time locals, but that's not saying much. They know what they are trying to do but I don't think they have hit it yet. The service is a work in process that they need to get figured out sooner rather than later.

But the party was on the Friday night we were there. It was hopping and had a great vibe. The bartenders knew their stuff and were serving quality drinks. The bar is pretty much equal to 135 Prime, Diamondback, and the place in the Indigo Hotel, but with more tequila and less bourbon and scotch.

Better as a place to go for a high energy good time than a quiet meal.
Moondoggie
Everybody knows that hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurants are where real Texans get there enchilada on. Of course those chains blow. Eat local.
BaylorHistory
Been twice. Once on a Sunday night and once on a Friday night. Sunday was great with a relaxed atmosphere and good service. Friday night was chaos. I'll go again, but only during an off-peak time.
quash
Tried it, still prefer El Charro Tapatio. Or Taco Z.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
BearBuck
Wife and I had a Friday lunch there last week. Place was busy but service was prompt and friendly. Menu had some very unique dishes on the lunch menu including two interesting soups I'd never seen before. Both of our meals were fabulous. Even the dips for their very good hot chips--salsa, black bean and white queso. I was stunned by how good the experience was. Maybe the stars were just aligned but you can bet we will be going back.
Grumpy
It's decent. Too bad Waco, for as many Mexican and Tex-Mex places it has, only ranges from bad to decent in selection. Thus, this place is near the top Mexican joints in town. I wish a top-notch chain would invest one restaurant in Waco. I think it would dominate.
WILLIS
Grumpy said:

It's decent. Too bad Waco, for as many Mexican and Tex-Mex places it has, only ranges from bad to decent in selection. Thus, this place is near the top Mexican joints in town. I wish a top-notch chain would invest one restaurant in Waco. I think it would dominate.

Chuys not good enough? Was pretty amazed when that moved in less than 10 years ago.
PartyBear
Chuy's is still packed most nights of the week like it just opened. If the river development ever does get off the ground, they should consider another location or a Hula Hut there.

Incidentally I noticed Kerby Lane in the past couple of years has a couple of additional locations on 35 in Austin. If they decide to expand beyond Austin, that would be cool along 35 in Waco as well.
william
dale steele.
BaylorGuy314
Los Cucos is coming in where the Heitmillers was in Legends Crossing. In my opinion, it will be the best tex-mex in town the day it opens.

Hencho in Waco is basically a dressier version of Taqueria #9 (off Valley Mills, across from Fuddruckers) with a smaller menu than it's lower brow sibling. Same family owns both. Same recipes for a lot of their menu.
Nguyen One Soon
BaylorGuy314 said:

Los Cucos is coming in where the Heitmillers was in Legends Crossing. In my opinion, it will be the best tex-mex in town the day it opens.

Hencho in Waco is basically a dressier version of Taqueria #9 (off Valley Mills, across from Fuddruckers) with a smaller menu than it's lower brow sibling. Same family owns both. Same recipes for a lot of their menu.
Hopefully it will be better than the one in New Braunfels. Ate there twice, my first and last times, in one meal a while back.
quash
Give me local over Generica chains every time.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
PartyBear
I like Hecho. I think it is better than the number 9 or whatever other numbers they own. It is a fancier presentation at Hecho. My wife thinks Chuy's is better food. I happen to love Chuy's based on its vibe in there, although I think the food is good as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.