Planning NYC Trip - What to do?

5,448 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FLBear5630
trumpetbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are your best suggestions for things to do or not do in NYC?

We'll be going late December, right after Christmas.
BearlyNose
Other than the normal sites, i.e. the World Trade Center, the Empire State Building, if the Rockettes are still performing during that time of the year, their show is usually one to be enjoyed by all age groups, plus it's indoors and a reasonably priced two hours.
If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
No Longer Gold
Daniel- best overall meal you'll ever have.
Peter Luger- steaks
Criffs- hotdogs
Di Fara- pizza
McSorley's - beer

Getting to all those places will also give you a great tour of the city. They are all pretty spread out from each other.

What not to do...you have to see em if you never have, but spend as little time as possible in Times Square and Little Italy.

I'd only walk Times Square at night before or after a show just to feel the amazing energy of the people and all, but don't eat or drink in the area. All very mediocre and way over priced.

Little Italy is the same. Check it out, have dessert, or maybe a glass of wine somewhere on the street, but then move on.

New York is the greatest city on Earth. Try your best to really dig in deep and experience it.
J.R.
DubDub said:

Peter Luger- steaks
Criffs- hotdogs
Di Fara- pizza
McSorley's - beer

Getting to all those places will also give you a great tour of the city. They are all pretty spread out from each other.

What not to do...you have to see em if you never have, but spend as little time as possible in Times Square and Little Italy.

I'd only walk Times Square at night before or after a show just to feel the amazing energy of the people and all, but don't eat or drink in the area. All very mediocre and way over priced.

Little Italy is the same. Check it out, have dessert, or maybe a glass of wine somewhere on the street, but then move on.

New York is the greatest city on Earth. Try your best to really dig in deep and experience it.
good list. Been to all. I'd Katz's Deli for the best Pastrami on Rye with Mustard and a Dr. Browns Soda. Will put you on the Lower East Side also to look around.
EnglishBear
If you go to Crif Dogs, make sure to go in the phone booth.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge

New York Sightseeing tour bus, the big red double deckers. Ordinarily I dont not go on guided tours because I dont like the structure. These buses let you get off and on at will. You can skip a site or stay at one stop for 3 hours. Worth the money

I like China Town.

We stayed with some friends out at the West Babylon station and rode into town each day.

Madison Square Gardens/Penn Station and Grand Central Station are amazing.

The Empire State Building was much better than I expected.
J.R.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge

New York Sightseeing tour bus, the big red double deckers. Ordinarily I dont not go on guided tours because I dont like the structure. These buses let you get off and on at will. You can skip a site or stay at one stop for 3 hours. Worth the money

I like China Town.

We stayed with some friends out at the West Babylon station and rode into town each day.

Madison Square Gardens/Penn Station and Grand Central Station are amazing.

The Empire State Building was much better than I expected.

You know, I too have come around on the big double decker tourist buses for a new city that one is visiting. Allows you to get the lay of the land.
Stranger
DubDub said:

Peter Luger- steaks
Criffs- hotdogs
Di Fara- pizza
McSorley's - beer

All good stuff. However, the greatest city on earth would have to be Paris, France. Not even close.
I'm a Bearbacker
Longstreet
Go see Teddy Roosevelt's home in Oyster Bay. Really cool.
Kyle
Staten Island ferry - cheap, easy and best views of the Statue of Liberty.
bularry
i was in NYC briefly for work last month. Did have time to do the 9/11 museum. I highly recommend.
MarkRs
Perhaps this will sound somewhat rude, but I'm glad I did not have time to get to NY this spring. I had a great trip and it ended in Canada due to the closure of borders. This did not become a problem for me. My boss gave me a good selection of apartments according to the corporate program, check these listings out. The only thing that bothers me now is the lack of lively communication. But part of my work can be done remotely and it distracts me. Honestly, I watch all the news about NY. I have never seen this city as empty as it is now.
ABC BEAR
trumpetbear said:

Grab a slice of pizza, go to LaGuardia and catch a flight to Vegas.You can do all that other stuff out here.
Sappike
We well enjoy in simple way and avoid traffic
J.R.
ABC BEAR said:

trumpetbear said:

Grab a slice of pizza, go to LaGuardia and catch a flight to Vegas.You can do all that other stuff out here.
No, you can't. Just back from Vegas.
TechDawgMc
So have you been to shows recently in New York? Which ones really stand out?
FLBear5630
TechDawgMc said:

Anything on Broadway will be top notch talent, as opposed to the regional traveling shows, I heard Hugh Jackman was doing the Music Man (My wife would leave me at the door if there was only 1 ticket for him!). Depends on how much money you want to drop. If money is not an issue, Hamilton.

I heard Hadestown is very good.

My wife can go to Phantom of the Opera again and again.

Do not underestimate the Disney's, they may be kid movies but they are always first rate. I heard Aladdin and Lion King were outstanding. I was dragged to Frozen and actually liked it (Elsa being hot didn't hurt)...

To me the best thing about Broadway is the talent, best in the world are there. Enjoy!

TechDawgMc
RMF5630 said:

TechDawgMc said:

Anything on Broadway will be top notch talent, as opposed to the regional traveling shows, I heard Hugh Jackman was doing the Music Man (My wife would leave me at the door if there was only 1 ticket for him!). Depends on how much money you want to drop. If money is not an issue, Hamilton.

Do not underestimate the Disney's, they may be kid movies but they are always first rate. I heard Aladdin and Lion King were outstanding. I was dragged to Frozen and actually liked it (Elsa being hot didn't hurt)...

To me the best thing about Broadway is the talent, best in the world are there. Enjoy!

I'm leaning toward either Hadestown or Six. My daughter (the theatre major) likes Six better but thinks I might like Hadestown better.

Have seen Lion King, Phantom and Wicked so not as interested in those.

I wish Jackman was doing a musical I like. Not too interested in Music Man.

I'm at a conference and going by myself, so I'm not that interested in dropping the Hamilton money. Save that for when we can make it a family trip.
FLBear5630
TechDawgMc said:

RMF5630 said:

TechDawgMc said:

I'm leaning toward either Hadestown or Six. My daughter (the theatre major) likes Six better but thinks I might like Hadestown better.

Have seen Lion King, Phantom and Wicked so not as interested in those.

I wish Jackman was doing a musical I like. Not too interested in Music Man.

I'm at a conference and going by myself, so I'm not that interested in dropping the Hamilton money. Save that for when we can make it a family trip.

I would do Hadestown too.

I will see it next year, but not on Broadway. Have a good time. Let me know what you think.
TechDawgMc
So I did see Hadestown. Very good show. Broadway talent is pretty special.

Liked the story for the most part. Pretty good theme about hope and self-sacrifice. Didn't help the story-telling that threw in a gratuitous swing at capitlism that really made little sense in the story. It was a small point though.

Really good music. A lot of fun in the music numbers. Some very cool effects. Outstanding acting. Definitely recommend
FLBear5630
TechDawgMc said:

So I did see Hadestown. Very good show. Broadway talent is pretty special.

Liked the story for the most part. Pretty good theme about hope and self-sacrifice. Didn't help the story-telling that threw in a gratuitous swing at capitlism that really made little sense in the story. It was a small point though.

Really good music. A lot of fun in the music numbers. Some very cool effects. Outstanding acting. Definitely recommend

Cool, we re-upped our Broadway season tickets this weekend. It is the traveling shows, but better than not seeing it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.