New Orleans Restaurants

17,861 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Biscuits_and_Gravy
Gust Avrakotos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hopefully you guys are hitting Parrains in BR or Blue Dog Cafe in Lafayette. Both excellent.
bularry
Gust Avrakotos said:

Hopefully you guys are hitting Parrains in BR or Blue Dog Cafe in Lafayette. Both excellent.
noted. never been to either.
chorne68
Mosca's 4137 US Hwy 90W Westwego. This is a couple of miles across the Hewey P Long bridge. It is a frame house with oster shell parking lot. When mafia boss Carlos Marchello went to prison his personal chef started this restaurant. It is a local favorite. You will see all kind of celebs there most nights. Try the Shrimp Mosca and the oyster mosca. Fast for a few days to afford the heavy dose of garlic butter. This is our favorite of all time. Better than Commanders Palace. Well...maybe not.
bularry
I'm sure that place is great, but when I go to NO I'm walking, Ubering or hopping in cabs. I ain't driving over the damn bridge to eat
bularry
I'm fearful for the bar/restaurant scene in New Orleans. they are highly dependent on tourism and convention business.... and that is not going to return to the same for a long time.

Just won't be the same, I'm afraid
bowdedg
bularry said:

I'm fearful for the bar/restaurant scene in New Orleans. they are highly dependent on tourism and convention business.... and that is not going to return to the same for a long time.

Many of the restaurants made it through Katrina. If they made it then, they'll make it through this. Many locals eat out.
bularry
bowdedg said:

bularry said:

Many of the restaurants made it through Katrina. If they made it then, they'll make it through this. Many locals eat out.

Sure, locals eat out. But there isn'ts local population to support all the places. Many of which are still shut down.

The only saving grace is a lot of the old school places own their buildings so can wait it out. But it is going to be a long road.
bularry
RIP K Paul's. Closing down permanently.

TechDawgMc
So we were in New Orleans back in November, but I forgot to report.

Tried Meril (which is one of Emeril's places). It was a good casual dining spot. Felt a bit trendy, but the food was good and the price wasn't too bad.

Tried a couple of old classics
* Port of Call basically a hamburger place & bar. Hard to get into even for a late lunch. Truly excellent hamburger, though. Not exactly traditional N.O. cooking but good food.
* Mothers Mothers is an old classic in N.O. Feels like you're eating at the Soup Nazi's location. They are apparently known for their ham. I wanted etouffe though. I got it with red beans and rice. The etouffe was really good, but the red beans and rice had their ham in it. I was skeptical (I usually think of sausage in rb&r). It was stunningly good. I'm not sure how they cook their ham, but I want to go back just to try some.

bowdedg
Next time you're at Mothers, get the Debris Po-boy! Yum
bularry
Mother's peaked sometime back in the early 2000's. Don't get the appeal, personally, but something everyone has to do at least once.

I enjoy going to NOLA in November or early December, usually great weather for walking around.
Beberas
We are planning a trip to New Orleans soon and this information will be useful to me, thanks!
bularry
Beberas said:

We are planning a trip to New Orleans soon and this information will be useful to me, thanks!
hope not too soon!! gonna get slammed this week it looks like.
bularry
pour one out for another Mardi Gras

Be very curious how the restaurant/hotel scene in NOLA looks in another year or two.
BUgolfbear
Just got back from NOLA. Most restaurants have limited days and hours. Tried Jacques-Imos on Oak in upper Carrollton for first time. Excellent funky dive with large portions and fantastic flavor. Tried and true were open, but limited.
CammoTX
Anyone done Reviellon at Brigsten's?

I am thinking of making the trip to NOLA this December to partake
bularry
CammoTX said:

Anyone done Reviellon at Brigsten's?

I am thinking of making the trip to NOLA this December to partake
I have not done that.... but sounds fun. I might do it too!
Beaneater
Sugar Bowl 1/22
Reservations at Jacques-IMO & Drago. Need 1 more. Lots of good ideas in this thread. Anyone have thec1 place I need to get to?

Andit's New Year's Eve! Any great spots to enjoy the party?
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Any new updates/feedback from recent trips? What were the standouts from Sugar Bowl trips?
CammoTX
Last night flounder at GW Fins did not disappoint
bularry
never been there...
Biscuits_and_Gravy
CammoTX said:

Tried to make reservation for the weekend to no avail. Looking at that I may need to try walk in.
CammoTX
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

CammoTX said:

Tried to make reservation for the weekend to no avail. Looking at that I may need to try walk in.

Makers Old Fashioned was only $10 which is unheard of at a restaurant of that caliber. It is the most reasonably priced high end seafood place I have been to in NOLA. Crme brle was perfect dessert too.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Jacques-Imo's last night and It lived up to the hype. Got there when doors opened and there was a line of 10 people already. We went early then walked to Cooter Browns to watch Basketball games. Only gripe was that I got a fresh watermelon mojito and chunks kept jamming up the straw. Picture is of the cheesecake.
bularry
I just have no desire to return to Jacque Imo's... not sure what it is but just not for me I guess.

regarding value,

Brigsten's is very fairly priced for the quality of the kitchen
Biscuits_and_Gravy
We go there tomorrow night. Went to Seafood Sally's tonight pre-game.
bularry
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

We go there tomorrow night. Went to Seafood Sally's tonight pre-game.
livin it up!!
CammoTX
bularry said:

I just have no desire to return to Jacque Imo's... not sure what it is but just not for me I guess.

regarding value,

Brigsten's is very fairly priced for the quality of the kitchen

That is on my to-do list. I have heard such great things about that place.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
It's back on our list for next trip. They called this morning and advised they would be closed the next couple of days due to staffing.

We did find a new to us place on Magazine Street, Basin which was really good.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
I didn't see it listed here so wanted to add, we always end up at Mr Johns for a meal each trip. It's downstairs from our hotel so it's convenient and it's very nice/good. It's a steakhouse but we usually go with the BBQ shrimp and a salad. .

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.