Football
Sponsored by

Bears open vs Albany

6,549 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by historian
FeralBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not seen in any other threads, but the CDA announcement also said we are opening vs UAlbany.

The Great Danes went 2-9 last year.
baylor06
Who?
boognish_bear
Was this a late replacement for someone else that bailed on us? I don't remember hearing about this one.
boognish_bear

ALBANY, N.Y. The University at Albany football team and head coach Greg Gattuso have announced that the Great Danes will travel to Waco, Texas, this fall to open the 2022 season against the Baylor Bears in McLane Stadium on Sept. 3.

"The team is excited to open the 2022 season at Baylor," said Gattuso. "We obviously understand the challenges we face playing a top-10 FBS team, but it will be a great experience for our Great Danes and for our fans."

In 2021, the Bears finished the season as the No. 5 team in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll and the No. 6 team in the USA Today Coaches' Poll, both being the best of any Big 12 team. Should Baylor keep its ranking, the game will mark the first time in program history the Great Danes will have played a ranked FBS squad. UAlbany has faced FBS competition in every year since 2015*, winning against Buffalo in 2016 by a score of 22-16.

The Bears went 12-2 overall and 7-2 in conference play a season ago, winning the Allstate Sugar Bowl over then No. 8 Ole Miss, 21-7. The team's defense recorded a Sugar Bowl record 10 sacks in the win.
boognish_bear
Ok....this is replacing the LA Tech game. I guess I missed that one being canceled.
MrGolfguy
Damn you La Tech! Another Saluki Sacrifice in the offing.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
SIC EM 94
Thanks a lot La Tech!
ScottS
This news won't be well accepted around here.
Jack Bauer
On par with a 6A Texas HS team.

ABC BEAR
When I saw this thread title, I thought I must be on the Mens' BB tournament projection page.
CST Bear
It's gonna be hot as hell, only available via stream and against a team that has no business being on the field with us.

It'll still be awesome.
Jack Bauer
2021:

Albany went 2-9 and lost to Syracuse 62-24.
OddFire71
Should be fun. Every player on the team should get a few reps.
ABC BEAR
CST Bear said:

It's gonna be hot as hell, only available via stream and against a team that has no business being on the field with us.

It'll still be awesome.
That's what they said about Lamar back in '81.
bear2be2
Jack Bauer said:

If we're talking about the stadium, try 4A.
bear2be2
On topic, these games are a stupid. I'll watch it because I'm a degenerate, but FCS games are a giant waste of time.
bear2be2
CST Bear said:

It'll still be awesome.
Compared to what? A colonoscopy.
bear2be2
Jack Bauer said:

2021:

Albany went 2-9 and lost to Syracuse 62-24.
This will look like the Texas Southern game. Might as well be a scrimmage.
whitetrash
It there an unwritten rule in the Athletic Department that we can only make last minute replacements to our schedule with participants from the Westminster Dog Show?

In 2013 it was the Terriers. This year it's the Great Danes.

whitetrash
Jack Bauer said:

If they would build their Student Union building on the soccer field, it would be an exact match of UMHB.

bear2be2
whitetrash said:

It there an unwritten rule in the Athletic Department that we can only make last minute replacements to our schedule with participants from the Westminster Dog Show?

In 2013 it was the Terriers. This year it's the Great Danes.
We've got the Southeastern New Hampshire Chiweenies on standby.
BellCountyBear
UMHB would be a better option. Stupid.
DanaDane
Obviously a dog game, but I don't think Notre Dame was waiting around for us to call them.
EatMoreSalmon
Are they coming in to town on Amtrak?
EvilTroyAndAbed
ScottS said:

Mack said almost immediately after the Tech cancellations that the games would be filled by FCS schools. We've known that for weeks.
whitetrash
Back when it was announced that LaTech was dumping us and Mizzou was dumping Middle Tennessee so the two of them could run off and have a tryst at the Starlite Motel in Columbia, it appeared to me that only Florida International, Abilene Christian and the aforementioned Middle Tennessee had 9/3 as an available date.
ScottS
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

ScottS said:

Mack said almost immediately after the Tech cancellations that the games would be filled by FCS schools. We've known that for weeks.

Sure its been known for a while, but still not a popular thing here. Most want us to play the toughest non-conference schedule we can.
ScottS
Ok so since this is set, who is their best player?
whitetrash
ScottS said:

Ok so since this is set, who is their best player?
Apparently goes by the name of Lovely.

https://www.wsaw.com/2021/06/16/wausau-great-dane-earns-high-honors-westminster-dog-show/
bear2be2
whitetrash said:

Back when it was announced that LaTech was dumping us and Mizzou was dumping Middle Tennessee so the two of them could run off and have a tryst at the Starlite Motel in Columbia, it appeared to me that only Florida International, Abilene Christian and the aforementioned Middle Tennessee had 9/3 as an available date.
And Florida International or Middle Tennessee would have been infinitely better than Albany. At least they're FBS programs.
whitetrash
bear2be2 said:

whitetrash said:

And Florida International or Middle Tennessee would have been infinitely better than Albany. At least they're FBS programs.
Looks like MTSU added James Madison and FIU added something called Bryant, which apparently is in Rhode Island.
Married A Horn
Jack Bauer said:

Allen High School

SMack
Albany's 2A, right?

I think they played in the state championship game several years ago.

You'll never guess who they lost to...
Dia del DougO
BellCountyBear said:

UMHB would be a better option. Stupid.
True, Baylor could take the DIII belt as well.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
historian
https://www.ourdailybears.com/baylor-bears-football/2022/2/15/22935136/scheduling-note-baylor-kinda-announces-football-game-vs-albany-great-danes-on-september-3

My guess Mack got whomever he could. There are not a whole lot of options less than a year before the season begins. And those teams that might have had an opening were likely in negotiations with somebody closing those doors. I'm just glad that we will play 12 games instead of 11 in the regular season.
β€œIncline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.