Baylor Football

Former Baylor Legend Grant Teaff Honored at McMurry University | Dan Brook

April 25, 2022

Dan Brook Sculptor of the new Grant Teaff Statue at McMurry University joins SicEm365 Radio to discuss his career as a sculptor, the legacy of Grant Teaff, and more.

Discussion from...

Former Baylor Legend Grant Teaff Honored at McMurry University | Dan Brook

3,867 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Mothballs
Russell Gym
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Stranger
Did we ever see Grant wear a suit and tie on the sideline?
I'm a Bearbacker
Grumpy
Yet another statue that is better than Baker Mayfield's.
Russell Gym
Stranger said:

Shirt/sweater and tie, yes. I think that I've seen a McMurray photo with coat and tie, but can't locate it.
Stranger
Russell Gym said:

Stranger said:

Shirt/sweater and tie, yes. I think that I've seen a McMurray photo with coat and tie, but can't locate it.

Tie, but no suit.
I'm a Bearbacker
Russell Gym
Stranger said:

Russell Gym said:

Stranger said:

Tie, but no suit.

Right. I think that I have seen a photo of Angelo St/McMurry era Coach Teaff in a coat and tie postgame, but I can't put my hands on it right now. I may be mistaken.
lakersfan34
Stranger said:

OsoSooner
Grant wore a suit when we played Arkansas for the last time in Fayetteville in 1991. He said his daddy taught him to wear a suit when saying goodbye to a friend.
Thee University
Russell Gym said:

Stranger said:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/30d078477e2619bda9371aa3fe6088d8945c3335/r=50one because G?/0x339/local/-/media/KENS/KENS/2014/11/18/635519388009288892-FBC-Corky-Nelson-on-the-sideline-with-Grant-Teaff.jpg" />
Guess who is getting chewed out during this time-out?

I remember that GT seldom came over to the defensive sidelines.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
Russell Gym
Thee University said:

Russell Gym said:

Stranger said:

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/30d078477e2619bda9371aa3fe6088d8945c3335/r=50one because G?/0x339/local/-/media/KENS/KENS/2014/11/18/635519388009288892-FBC-Corky-Nelson-on-the-sideline-with-Grant-Teaff.jpg" />
Guess who is getting chewed out during this time-out?

I remember that GT seldom came over to the defensive sidelines.

Never a good sign when the HC comes over during a TO chew out!
GruntTuff
For the young ones, here is a bit of true history, and the perspective of an old one.

I'm 73. When I was a senior at Baylor, in 1971, the Bears had won six, and lost 34 in the four seasons I was an undergraduate. That was when we played 10 games a year. We won less than two games a year, for four years.

Our field was grass, and the grass wasn't watered or mowed often. By November, it was mud.

Our weight room was one Universal gym. The team practiced on a dirt/grass field north of the stadium.

We had fired a good coach (John Bridgers), who did more with less, and hired a coach from LSU that Charlie McLendon wanted to be rid of. I'm sure he was a nice guy, but he was wrong for Baylor.

In December of 1971, Abner McCall had a hard decision to make. Did he continue to pour what little money Baylor had into athletics, or just give it up?

His athletic director, Jack Patterson, helped Abner persist and tried to hire Rudy Feldman from the University of New Mexico. Can you imagine?

Feldman took the job, but the next day, changed his mind.

Patterson was left with a terrible situation...a head coach at one of the most historically terrible programs in the United States had publically accepted the Baylor job, then returned to Albuquerque where the "big money guys" convinced him to stay...probably for a $5,000 a year raise.

Can you imagine the situation Patterson and McCall were in? We just got shafted by....the University of New Mexico coach?

So, Patterson turned to.......Angelo State's head coach....one Grant Teaff.

It was perhaps the most brilliant, or desperate, decision made in the history of college athletics. Had Coach Teaff not been....well, Coach Teaff, there might not have been Scott Drew, or Art Briles, or Dave Aranda. There would not have been McLane Stadium.

For those of you who live or go to Waco, if you see Coach Teaff.....please tell him thank you. Without Coach Teaff, none of this would be possible.
Russell Gym
Great perspective
Golden Helmet
Man….that was a cold one.
dallas4bears
Well done. Thanks for a trip down memory lane.
Thee University
For what it's worth..............Rudy Feldman was a horrible coach. He coached the St. Louis Cardinal LBs when I was there. Very un-impressive.
"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." - General Robert E. Lee
gobears20
Staff
Thee University
That's a lot of yelllow!
Mothballs
Thee University said:

That's a lot of yelllow!

FabKnit wasn't the best of athletic apparel companies. The helmets are definitely Gold though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.