Football
Sponsored by

Notable non conf games

2,717 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
EatMoreSalmon
So that's what they meant when UT alums said that Saban was going to UT.

Will be ugly, I'm believing.
muddybrazos
Utah and Fla will be good and so should ND and tOSU. Bama will smash UT and UGA should handle Oregon but that game should be somewhat competitve. I'm sure Iowa will beat ISU just like they always do.
DST
There's nothing notable about the CyHawk Trophy game. Ferentz owns the Cyclowns.
Mitch Henessey
Anyone who answers El Assico! has been inhaling to much airborne fertilizer
Baylorbears111
Mitch Henessey said:

Anyone who answers El Assico! has been inhaling to much airborne fertilizer

Don't kink shame all of Iowa.
Jack Bauer
whitetrash
The second Saturday in September will be the 25th anniversary of Rout 66 (UT's 66-3 home loss to UCLA in 1997).

I wonder if they will commemorate it at UT-Bama.
PawpaBear

BYU vs Baylor will have a good national following and should be a great game in Provo. Definitely a litmus test!
LagunaBear
Yes, Baylor at BYU is going to be awesome! We'll learn a lot that day
Jack Bauer
PawpaBear said:

BYU vs Baylor will have a good national following and should be a great game in Provo. Definitely a litmus test!
Is Baylor Romney going to be the BYU QB playing against us??

DanaDane
Given that Baylor Romney entered the transfer portal last December and then later decided to give up football for a job offer from Adobe, I'd say it's not very likely.
historian
I don't see Baylor at BYU listed. That's the non conference game I'm most interested in.

WVU at Pitt would have potential if the Mountaineers weren't doing do terribly lately. Maybe they will be better this year but it's difficult to be optimistic. All that matters, though, is that Baylor finally gets a win in Morgantown.
vanillabryce
Must be a crappy slate of games if Iowa State v Iowa made the cut
ScottS
Why would a game with a team that went 5-7 last year vs a team that was in the title game be notable?
contrario
Talk about an easy slate to start the football season for Bama - 3 OOC cupcakes followed by Vanderbilt to start the SEC schedule.

I personally hope UT wins: 1) it will make it more challenging for Bama to make it to the playoffs again and 2) it will make our win over UT that much sweeter.
Jorkel
contrario said:

Talk about an easy slate to start the football season for Bama - 3 OOC cupcakes followed by Vanderbilt to start the SEC schedule.

I personally hope UT wins: 1) it will make it more challenging for Bama to make it to the playoffs again and 2) it will make our win over UT that much sweeter.

UT doesn't have the mental to beat a team like Alabama.
whitetrash
ScottS said:

Why would a game with a team that went 5-7 last year vs a team that was in the title game be notable?
Because in their last meeting in 2009, UT and Bama were both undefeated and met in the BCS championship. Early in the 1st quarter, UT was dominating early and had driven to the Bama 11 when Colt McCoy got hurt. They had to settle for a FG, and after Bama fumbled the kickoff and UT recovered, had to settle for another FG when it easily could have been 14-0. UT was ineffective with Gilbert the rest of the game and Bama eventually won going away.

In the 12 seasons since McCoy's injury, Bama has gone 150-17, with 12 NY6 bowl appearances, 10 trips to the BCS or CFP, 8 SEC championships and 6 national championships. UT has gone 83-67. with 5 losing seasons, 1 NY6 bowl appearance, no trips to the BCS/CFP, and no Big12 championships.

"Two roads diverged in a wood..."
boykin_spaniel
You left off Heisman winners for Bama and multiple losses to Kansas for Texas
chriscbear
If UT beats Alabama this year in Austin, then the "Texas is back" cry will be unreal and very loud.
whitetrash
boykin_spaniel said:

Bama has multiple losses to Aggy, which kinda cancels out the KU losses.
IowaBear
No lol just no. I know there's a deep hatred for anything aggy . But KU over the last decade has been thee worst P5 team by a mile. That program is just dog crap. AM is at least respectable as a football program
Joel Klatt groupie
IowaBear said:

No lol just no. I know there's a deep hatred for anything aggy . But KU over the last decade has been thee worst P5 team by a mile. That program is just dog crap. AM is at least respectable as a football program
Which other programs are at least in the conversation about the worst teams of the past decade?

Rutgers?
Vandy?
Illinois?
IowaBear
Vandy had a pretty solid stretch under Franklin, Illinois has had a few Bowl years. Rutgers has been pretty bad but still nothing compared to KU. But generally I'd agree those are the 3 who are most comparable to KU
historian
ScottS said:

Because Texas is back, or something....
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
whitetrash said:

ScottS said:

Because in their last meeting in 2009, UT and Bama were both undefeated and met in the BCS championship. Early in the 1st quarter, UT was dominating early and had driven to the Bama 11 when Colt McCoy got hurt. They had to settle for a FG, and after Bama fumbled the kickoff and UT recovered, had to settle for another FG when it easily could have been 14-0. UT was ineffective with Gilbert the rest of the game and Bama eventually won going away.

In the 12 seasons since McCoy's injury, Bama has gone 150-17, with 12 NY6 bowl appearances, 10 trips to the BCS or CFP, 8 SEC championships and 6 national championships. UT has gone 83-67. with 5 losing seasons, 1 NY6 bowl appearance, no trips to the BCS/CFP, and no Big12 championships.

"Two roads diverged in a wood..."

This is exactly why Robert Frost wrote that poem!!
historian
whitetrash said:

boykin_spaniel said:

Sort of but not quite. At least the Aggies have been to bowl games every year.
historian
Joel Klatt groupie said:

IowaBear said:

Which other programs are at least in the conversation about the worst teams of the past decade?

Rutgers?
Vandy?
Illinois?

Most of the SEC East, at least half of the ACC, & much of the PAC 12 should be in that conversation. They may not be the very worst but they are in the bottom half.
IowaBear
Again no, Kansas has been historically bad. Take off the shades and try not to biased towards everything B12. KU is in a league all by themselves.
whitetrash
historian said:

whitetrash said:

boykin_spaniel said:

Sort of but not quite. At least the Aggies have been to bowl games every year.
But they haven't played in a bowl game every year.
boykin_spaniel
No. Aggie at least has top 10 recruits on the field. Kansas beat Texas with walk-ons. Bama lost last year to Aggie and to the Manziel led Aggie team that was actually not a bad team.
Kansas and Rutgers are in a league of their own when it comes to bad power 5 programs over the past decade. Granted both have new coaches and played a little more competitive at points last year.
Dman
Jorkel said:

contrario said:

UT doesn't have the mental to beat a team like Alabama.
True. But from a pure pragmatic stance, we should all be cheering for UT to win. The higher they are when we beat them in Austin, the better. It's been a while since they've counted as a "quality win" for Baylor. It would go a long way. That win counted for sh$t last year.
gobears20
Staff
Could the. Baylor and BYU game be a top ten game?
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
historian
You misunderstand me. I know Kansas is terrible. Their record speaks for itself. I was only saying there are a lot of P5 programs with terrible records over the past decade as well. Not to the same degree, but still terrible.
historian
Good point. They did chicken out recently.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.