Football
Sponsored by

Nick Saban accuses Texas A&M of buying entire 2022 recruiting class

1,795 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pecos 45
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Great Baylor Merchandise -> https://bit.ly/2M8DuHk
fubar
Not to worry, Nick, it's A&M. They probably bought half of your class too.
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
william
fubar said:

{ clatter } { snarl }
-tbp*
Dale?
parch
I think both things can be right - Saban continues to come off like a clattering gong and A&M's abrupt recruiting gains are more money than skill.

What galls Saban I'm sure is that he didn't have the ability to do what A&M is doing when he took over in 2007. He was forced to play the recruiting game only through certain channels, and that probably feels like the "right way" to him, similarly to why Jay Wright retired from Nova this year. If you asked him I bet he wants A&M to have to build it like he did. And say what you will, but that route is objectively more difficult and time consuming than what A&M is doing.

In other words, any program with deep pockets can do what A&M is doing. Not any program with deep pockets can do what Saban has done.
Pecos 45
Here's more on it, if you care to read it.
https://edition.pagesuite.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=5303d03c-3488-492a-8dcd-b5fd7100fbd6

It has been a poorly kept secret for decades that A&M pays players. (Anyone remember the FedEx envelope full of cash from Jackie Sherrill, or Kevin Murray's non-existent job cleaning printing presses?)

I know that some on this board weren't around in the 80s, but A&M was so off the charts back then, as well as SMU, that it was just accepted that the Agnostics had "a payroll to keep."

The real issue is that A&M alumni have deeper pockets than Bama's.
That west-Texas oil revenue has brought in a gusher of NIL donations.
(There is a reason the alumni center in Collie Station is named after Clayton Williams.)

I'm just shocked that they didn't pay 10 players to suit up so they could play in their bowl game.
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
Russell Gym
Clayton would probably tell Saban just to sit back, relax, and enjoy it.
Pecos 45
Yes, he would!
Malcolm Forbes
Fre3dombear
Russell Gym said:

Clayton would probably tell Saban just to sit back, relax, and enjoy it.

Yep. Like some bad aggy weather rolling in
historian
Pecos 45 said:

https://edition.pagesuite.com/infinity/article_popover_share.aspx?guid=5303d03c-3488-492a-8dcd-b5fd7100fbd6

It has been a poorly kept secret for decades that A&M pays players. (Anyone remember the FedEx envelope full of cash from Jackie Sherrill, or Kevin Murray's non-existent job cleaning printing presses?)

I know that some on this board weren't around in the 80s, but A&M was so off the charts back then, as well as SMU, that it was just accepted that the Agnostics had "a payroll to keep."

(There is a reason the alumni center in Collie Station is named after Clayton Williams.)

I'm just shocked that they didn't pay 10 players to suit up so they could play in their bowl game.

Maybe they could gave but didn't like the return on their "investment": they would have lost anyway.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Johnny Bear
Pecos 45 said:

In the 80's the aggys were openly doing the same types of things SMU ultimately had their program destroyed over. Not suggesting it made what SMU did "okay", but it was an example of the two tiered NCAA justice system that still exists to this day.
boykin_spaniel
Saban mastered the art of the bagmen. He's been paying players since before he took the Alabama job, he just perfected it there. He's pissed because he built a system for Alabama to succeed in cheating without getting caught. Now what he views as cheating is legal and his carefully crafted system of bagmen is obsolete and a former assistant quickly perfected a new system called pay more than the other guy.

NIL needs regulation and rules but Saban is the wrong person to deliver that message and was doing it while raising money for Alabama football.
PartyBear
I'm not sure what Saban's issue is A&M has been doing this for decades and it hasnt caused Saban to not be able build Bama to what it is. So he should just relax just because it is allowed out the open now doesnt mean it is new at all there.
monsterbear61
This is laughable. Just wait until he has to deal with UT and OU corruption. At the least, the Aggies are doing something legal...for the moment. It may take a few years, but the SEC as we know it is already dead. I have no doubt that it will die from the cancer of greed and corruption that is already spreading within, just as OU, UT, and ATM tried to destroy the B12 for their own advantage.
PartyBear
Well....UT tends to try to rule every conference they have been in. Just the war they might start within the SEC just in trying their past practices could doom the SEC.
boykin_spaniel
boykin_spaniel
Texas is in a for a rude awakening. The SEC has been the best run football conference for years and it's because they've had good commissioners who don't bow down to mooing cows. They won't even be starting out as the real UT and honestly no matter what they do none of my SEC family will ever consider them UT
fubar
william said:

fubar said:

{ clatter } { snarl }
{ chewing on nopal }
- tmlp*
Gunter gleiben glauchen globen
Pecos 45
PartyBear said:

I'm not sure what Saban's issue is A&M has been doing this for decades and it hasnt caused Saban to not be able build Bama to what it is. So he should just relax just because it is allowed out the open now doesnt mean it is new at all there.
It's because A&M alumni have more money than Alabama alumni and can therefore outbid The Tide for the best players.
Again, it's the oil money.
Most Texas oil men went to A&M.
And oil isn't suffering the same downturns as the stock market. (Check your Marathon Oil stock ticker.)

So, "Follow the money!"

Malcolm Forbes
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.