Football
Sponsored by

Which HC will win a natty first? (Aranda snubbed?)

1,976 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BUbearinARK
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know it's just some meaningless off-season list….and I'm not saying I think BU is about to win a natty….but not even having Aranda on this list feels like a slight.

His team just finished #5 in the final AP and he beat Gundy (on neutral field), Kiffin, Sark, and Lincoln along the way.

Hell….Marcus Freeman hasn't even coached a season yet.

boognish_bear
No Fickell either??
PartyBear
Interestingly enough if Fickell went to ND, Freeman was going to be the new HC at UC.
fredbear
Ryan Day or Marcus Freeman only two real possibilities.

Gundy, been at it too long to make it over the fence. Never gets enough depth in talent. Osu happy with good but not great

Lane K , see Sugar Bowl last year. Our second year head coach out foxed him

Dan L, Oregon will do well in conference but can't hang with big boys

Lincoln, irrelevant now that he went to California where football is considered a violent and unnecessary evil

Steve K., SEC. SEC is going to kill his HORNS

Brian K, Lazy and just grabbed a contract that will take him to retirement, which should come soon.
EvilTroyAndAbed
No slight to Aranda. Every NC winner has had a top 5 recruiting class. We don't come anywhere close to that.

Even finishing 5th, we weren't anywhere close to Georgia or Alabama.
BellCountyBear
No slack-jawed Jimbo Fisher?! Poor aggy!
tomiathon
BellCountyBear said:

pretty sure aggy has already claimed his 1st natty, so it wouldn't make any sense to include him on this list (that and I think he already won one at fsu? But even if he hadnt...)
SonOfZuno
Money (err NIL) will win championships going forward.
Baylor, unfortunately, will not be able to have a seat at that table.

Sic'em
boognish_bear
SonOfZuno said:

Money (err NIL) will win championships going forward.
Baylor, unfortunately, will not be able to have a seat at that table.

Sic'em

Is that really any different then it's been though?
Grumpy
What is true is that Aranda beat 3 of the coaches listed on this short list just this past year.
ScottS
Is Sark going to another team?
Stefano DiMera
He beat 4 on that list
Grumpy
Math. My apologies!
Jorkel
Ryan Day most likely out of all of them
Johnny Bear
tomiathon said:

BellCountyBear said:

pretty sure aggy has already claimed his 1st natty, so it wouldn't make any sense to include him on this list (that and I think he already won one at fsu? But even if he hadnt...)

Jumbo did in fact win a Natty at FSU when he had a once in a generation QB (from a talent standpoint at least) named Jameis Winston - so he doesn't qualify for a list about HCs winning their 1st Natty.
vanillabryce
Ryan Day
Lincoln Riley
Marcus Freeman

In that order.

If Brian Kelly couldn't win one at ND he's not gonna win one playing Bama or Georgia every year.

Sark is more likely to lose to KU, than sniff a big 12 title. National titles once they enter the SEC? Fuhgetta bout it.
tomiathon
Ryan Day most likely just because osu will always start with an edge in the voting. Brian Kelly next, because while he has to get past bama, and Georgia (which may or may not be as difficult depending on how well/consistently they can reload), they'll have that opportunity, and if they pass that test they're guaranteed that shot. Riley next, because like osu, usc will start on 2nd base with the voters, but he has more work to do, and a mediocre conference to rise above
Aberzombie1892
boognish_bear said:

I know it's just some meaningless off-season list….and I'm not saying I think BU is about to win a natty….but not even having Aranda on this list feels like a slight.

His team just finished #5 in the final AP and he beat Gundy (on neutral field), Kiffin, Sark, and Lincoln along the way.

Hell….Marcus Freeman hasn't even coached a season yet.

Texas won't have a shot until the CFP expands to 12.

Otherwise:
1. Ryan Day - For being smart enough to take Jim Knowles from Oklahoma State.
2. Lincoln Riley - For being smart enough to realize that a program needs to be in a state with a meaningful amount of elite recruits in order to maximize its chances at a national title.
3. Mike Gundy - For finally being able to evolve with the times.
4. Brian Kelly - For the last 3 permanent coaches at LSU winning a national title.
EvilTroyAndAbed
BellCountyBear said:

Jimbo already has one.
FLBear5630
fredbear said:

Ryan Day or Marcus Freeman only two real possibilities.

Gundy, been at it too long to make it over the fence. Never gets enough depth in talent. Osu happy with good but not great

Lane K , see Sugar Bowl last year. Our second year head coach out foxed him

Dan L, Oregon will do well in conference but can't hang with big boys

Lincoln, irrelevant now that he went to California where football is considered a violent and unnecessary evil

Steve K., SEC. SEC is going to kill his HORNS

Brian K, Lazy and just grabbed a contract that will take him to retirement, which should come soon.

I agree. It is more about the program you are at than the talent of the HC. It would take a real long shot for a Baylor, Cinn or even OSU to get through Playoff
BUbearinARK
That Gundy is almost there. Maybe a conf title first. Maybe.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.