Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,077,840 Views | 29549 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by BearForce
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
my mock:

19: R1P19
DL VITA VEA
WASHINGTON

50: R2P18
WR CHRISTIAN KIRK
TEXAS A&M

81: R3P17
TE HAYDEN HURST
SOUTH CAROLINA

116: R4P16
S GODWIN IGWEBUIKE
NORTHWESTERN

137: R4P37
C WILL CLAPP
LSU

171: R5P34
LB DORIAN O'DANIEL
CLEMSON

192: R6P18
LB JACK CICHY
WISCONSIN

193: R6P19
G WYATT TELLER
VIRGINIA TECH

208: R6P34
EDGE OLUBUNMI ROTIMI
OLD DOMINION

236: R7P18
QB TANNER LEE
NEBRASKA
BearForce
Assassin said:

Assassin said:

Browns making Corey Coleman available in trade. Hard to see this without my green and gold glasses. He's the speed demon we need but has proven somewhat inconsistent. In his two seasons, he has suffered two broken hands which have limited him to 19 games to this point.

We have picks - Browns have been shipping out folks. Would they take a 4th? Would we give a 4th? Still on rookie contract at avg: $2,913,749.
Using a 4th on Coleman would allow us to address either/or OG/LB/Edge/S/TE in the 1st and 2nd areas.

I could get on board with that.
BearForce
Assassin said:

my mock:

19: R1P19
DL VITA VEA
WASHINGTON

50: R2P18
WR CHRISTIAN KIRK
TEXAS A&M

81: R3P17
TE HAYDEN HURST
SOUTH CAROLINA

116: R4P16
S GODWIN IGWEBUIKE
NORTHWESTERN

137: R4P37
C WILL CLAPP
LSU

171: R5P34
LB DORIAN O'DANIEL
CLEMSON

192: R6P18
LB JACK CICHY
WISCONSIN

193: R6P19
G WYATT TELLER
VIRGINIA TECH

208: R6P34
EDGE OLUBUNMI ROTIMI
OLD DOMINION

QB TANNER LEE
NEBRASKA

Given Jerry Jones has been quoted as calling Tanner Lee the INT machine, I don't see that happening...

Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

QB TANNER LEE
NEBRASKA

Given Jerry Jones has been quoted as calling Tanner Lee the INT machine, I don't see that happening...

didnt see that. Riley Furgeson was the other choice
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

QB TANNER LEE
NEBRASKA

didnt see that. Riley Furgeson was the other choice

It was at the Senior Bowl and I like Ferguson
BearForce
Assassin said:

Deonte Thompson - WR - Free Agent
Free agent WR Deonte Thompson is visiting the Cowboys.
Thompson was at times the Bills' default No. 1 receiver and biggest playmaker last season, catching 27 balls for 430 yards and one touchdown in 11 games after coming over from the Bears. Thompson would probably replace free agent Brice Butler in Dallas as the team's No. 4 wideout and deep threat.
Related: Cowboys

Source: ESPN.com
Mar 21 - 11:04 AM

Signed at 1 year $2.5M
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/3/22/17152148/report-dallas-cowboys-sign-receiver-deonte-thompson-to-1-year-deal-worth-2-5m-free-agent-rumors
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Thompson was at times the Bills' default No. 1 receiver and biggest playmaker last season, catching 27 balls for 430 yards and one touchdown in 11 games after coming over from the Bears. Thompson would probably replace free agent Brice Butler in Dallas as the team's No. 4 wideout and deep threat.

Signed at 1 year $2.5M
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/3/22/17152148/report-dallas-cowboys-sign-receiver-deonte-thompson-to-1-year-deal-worth-2-5m-free-agent-rumors
Thats interesting. And the fact they are still considering Hurns. If they do, who else leaves? We have Switzer who is on a rookie deal. You know he will be here. Beaz who makes $3,250,000 base plus 1mil bonus. Thought they liked what Noah Brown did last year. Hes cheap at $572k. KD Cannon will be a longshot, $480k as will Lance Lenoir at same. Terrance is $4,750k. Dez is the elephant in the room at $16,500k. I think you would be upside down cutting TWill - Dez would save you the most. But trading him might be the best option. He still has some pull out there.
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Signed at 1 year $2.5M
Thats interesting. And the fact they are still considering Hurns. If they do, who else leaves? We have Switzer who is on a rookie deal. You know he will be here. Beaz who makes $3,250,000 base plus 1mil bonus. Thought they liked what Noah Brown did last year. Hes cheap at $572k. KD Cannon will be a longshot, $480k as will Lance Lenoir at same. Terrance is $4,750k. Dez is the elephant in the room at $16,500k. I think you would be upside down cutting TWill - Dez would save you the most. But trading him might be the best option. He still has some pull out there.

Dez trade or maybe trade TWill? Or you cut Beaz and then between his spot and Butler gone, you have two roster spots. I think that then means you likely aren't drafting WR.
Assassin
Having made two additions in free agency this week, the Cowboys are expected to create additional salary cap space by restructuring Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick's contract, which runs through 2023.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Dez trade or maybe trade TWill? Or you cut Beaz and then between his spot and Butler gone, you have two roster spots. I think that then means you likely aren't drafting WR.
If Dez left, you would have no true 1. Even with Dez, you dont have that 1 that you can depend on. Terrance is a great complimentary WR. Due to his body catching which gives a QB such a small radius, he'll never be a 1. Beaz has one year left on his deal. Do they think Switz progressed enough to take that over? Dez might get you a 3 back. I would shoot for a comparable player on the D I think instead. Not sure that anyone else will bring more than a 5 or 6

Not sure what they would do agout a WR1
Assassin
First Look: What would an Allen Hurns signing bring to Cowboys? | K.D. Drummond, Cowboys Wire
Here's a look at the role Hurns could play - assuming he is not intended to help the team move on from Dez Bryant (more about that later).
Quote:

His best year came as a Z receiver in 2015, playing off the line of scrimmage. He took over as the X receiver when Allen Robinson went down with injury, and often moved into the slot in three-receiver formations.
The Cowboys' deep threat in 2017, Brice Butler, was not brought back because that is the only thing he contributed to the offense. That isn't the case with Hurns.
If signed, he'd be a threat to the playing time of both Terrance Williams and Cole Beasley. He could be a threat to both players' positions on the roster, though with Williams guaranteed $3.5 million salary, that may have to be something that involves a trade.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Terrance Williams Contract Creates 2018 Job Security - Jess Haynie, Inside the Star
Like it or not, financials play a part in roster decisions. And no matter what the Cowboys do about adding wide receiver talent in free agency or the draft, it looks like Terrance Williams has a secure roster spot - but not necessarily his place on the depth chart.
Quote:

Last offseason, Terrance signed a four-year, $17 million deal to stay in Dallas. Because we are now just in the second year of that deal, it is cost prohibitive against the salary cap to release or trade him.
Williams is scheduled to count $4.75 million against the 2018 cap. If Dallas were to cut him, it would accelerate his remaining guaranteed money and create $7.25 million in dead money this year. He would cost more against the cap off the roster than on it.
Even the June-1st provision doesn't help. Williams' dead money in 2018 drops to $4.75 million, which is a net zero against his existing cap hit. It would also push $2.5 million of dead money to 2019. There's no benefit there, and you lose an experienced player who knows your system.
BaylorProud77
I know it's crazy but I don't won't to trade TW. Yes, I'm sentimentally attached lol
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Terrance Williams Contract Creates 2018 Job Security - Jess Haynie, Inside the Star
Like it or not, financials play a part in roster decisions. And no matter what the Cowboys do about adding wide receiver talent in free agency or the draft, it looks like Terrance Williams has a secure roster spot - but not necessarily his place on the depth chart.
Quote:

Last offseason, Terrance signed a four-year, $17 million deal to stay in Dallas. Because we are now just in the second year of that deal, it is cost prohibitive against the salary cap to release or trade him.
Williams is scheduled to count $4.75 million against the 2018 cap. If Dallas were to cut him, it would accelerate his remaining guaranteed money and create $7.25 million in dead money this year. He would cost more against the cap off the roster than on it.
Even the June-1st provision doesn't help. Williams' dead money in 2018 drops to $4.75 million, which is a net zero against his existing cap hit. It would also push $2.5 million of dead money to 2019. There's no benefit there, and you lose an experienced player who knows your system.

Exactly. so there
Assassin
BaylorProud77 said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Quote:

Exactly. so there
I kept looking at Over the Cap thinking it was a misprint. Thank goodness Jess Haynie
BaylorProud77
BearForce
Assassin said:

BaylorProud77 said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Quote:

Exactly. so there
I kept looking at Over the Cap thinking it was a misprint. Thank goodness Jess Haynie

So that brings you back to how do you create two roster spots for Thompson and the other guy if we actually sign him. Do we already quit on Noah Brown?
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BaylorProud77 said:

Exactly. so there
So that brings you back to how do you create two roster spots for Thompson and the other guy if we actually sign him. Do we already quit on Noah Brown?
I dont think we have seen enough of Brown to tell us one way or the other. Maybe the coaches have in practice.

So its Dez, TWill, new guy, Beaz and Switzer unless Dez is cut/traded. Normally I think we keep 5. And we just added a FB so that washes with the old FB spot. I would imagine that we keep Witten, Swaim, Hanna and Rico at TE. Not sure that any of them would open an extra spot for a WR.

KD Cannon, Lanier, Brown - all on a precarious bubble I would think unless there is some movement
trumpetbear

Franko
Seems that they are looking to squeeze TWill out.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
BearForce
Franko said:

And or Beasley
BearForce
trumpetbear said:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/3/23/17156726/report-cowboys-plan-to-keep-dez-bryant-even-with-allen-hurns-signing
Assassin
Assassin

One of Dallas best writers, a well liked former Cowboy Quarterback, one of Dallas hottest nightclubs of 1977 - you simply couldnt ask for much more
Assassin
Franko said:

Wouldnt make financial sense. Cheaper to keep him. (see above)
Assassin
Hurns $12mil over two years. This COULD be a great deal if he is physically okay.

But who will go? If we keep 5 - gonna be some name cut or a trade

BearForce
Assassin said:

Hurns $12mil over two years. This COULD be a great deal if he is physically okay.

I think Beasley has the most friendly contract to trade.
Assassin
Remember Dallas OL Sam Young? Just got another one year extension from the Fins
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

I think Beasley has the most friendly contract to trade.
Could be. I wouldnt be against a trade of Dez for a TE or S or DL or LB
Assassin
Bryan Broaddus' Scouting Report
Name: Allen Hurns
Position: Wide Receiver
College: Miami
Height: 6-1
Weight: 201
Draft: Signed undrafted with Jacksonville in 2014Read
  • Very competitive. This guy goes hard every snap. He's not afraid to get in the face of defenders. He has taken some big hits and got up to tell the defender he's good. Physical toughness.
  • Hurns doesn't have great playing speed or quickness. Where he does show some quickness is his inside routes from the slot. It takes him a little time to get going down the field. He doesn't play with much vertical separation. Again, his best routes are in the middle and outside.
  • He has the body control to make adjusting receptions. Often, his quarterback did him no favors. They only used him a couple of times on option routes from the slot. Again, the lack of quickness shows here.
  • Outstanding leaping ability. You don't see him getting those 50/50 shots like Dez Bryant, but when he goes up, he comes down with it.
  • He got stopped on a couple of fourth down receptions where they needed him to fight for that yard, but his strength is not a problem. He runs routes like Dez kind of all over the place. There's not much sharpness to them. He runs less slants but think of Dez and that's what you have. A big guy trying to look smooth.
  • Hurns is a natural hands catcher. He will extend to make the catch. He had a couple of drops that were his fault, but he will make the contested catch in traffic.
  • Like Dez, he has had some big games and stretches where he did not do too much. They didn't move him around as much as I thought they would.
  • It's amazing how similar the two players are. I have no idea about his smarts but film didn't show any major busts.
Assassin
Assassin said:

Bryan Broaddus' Scouting Report
Name: Allen Hurns

• It's amazing how similar the two players are. I have no idea about his smarts but film didn't show any major busts.

His report sounds like a Dez clone
Assassin
the fella from yesterday:

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout
@BryanBroaddus

Name: Deonte Thompson
Position: Wide Receiver
College: Florida
Height: 6-0
Weight: 200
Draft: Signed undrafted with Baltimore in 2012
Games Studied: With Chicago, vs. Tampa Bay in 2017; with Buffalo, vs. Tampa Bay, New York Jets, Indianapolis and New England in 2017.Read
  • In a funny twist, his two best games of the season were both against Tampa Bay he played the Buccaneers as a member of both the Bears and the Bills.
  • I was impressed with his playing speed. He shows the ability to separate as he gets down the field.
  • He puts some pressure on the defensive back and their cushion. He can cover some ground when running. Some of his best routes are deep across the field.
  • Nice body control and balance. He had to make some adjusting catches where the ball was in terrible position.
  • He will leap to go get the ball, and he can really go up the ladder to grab it.
  • This is a consistent route runner. He is not one of those guys that's all over the place.
  • Perhaps the best play I watched was a 34-yard reception in a driving snow storm against Indianapolis. Tracked the ball all the way into his hands.
  • His hands appear dependable. Catches to targets are good.
  • He will extend himself to make receptions.
  • He made a couple of really nice plays in the red zone. He is able to free himself off the line, then grab the ball.
  • For the opportunities he received, he didn't disappoint.
Assassin
Dez Bryant's future with Cowboys in question after receiver deals
12:54 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys attempted to make a big splash early in free agency by going after Sammy Watkins, but the receiver opted for the Kansas City Chiefs instead.

The Cowboys added receiver Deonte Thompson on a one-year deal Thursday worth a max of $2.5 million. On Friday, Allen Hurns told ESPN's Josina Anderson he was signing with the Cowboys, and a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the receiver will get a two-year contract.

It all points to Dez Bryant's future with the Cowboys, and it doesn't look good.

Had the Cowboys been able to land Watkins, Bryant would no longer have been a Cowboy. With Thompson and Hurns, Bryant's future looks dicey at best.

The Cowboys have said they need to address Bryant's contract in some manner but have yet to have discussions about a pay cut. Bryant is set to make $12.5 million in 2017 and count $16.5 million against the cap. If the Cowboys cut Bryant -- the franchise leader in touchdown catches -- they could save $8.5 million or $12.5 million, depending on the designation.

The Cowboys re-signed Terrance Williams to a four-year deal last year with his $3.5 million base salary guaranteed this season. They also have Cole Beasley, Ryan Switzer and Noah Brown under contract -- all wide receivers who caught passes last year. Brice Butler is a free agent who is likely looking for a new home with Thompson coming to the Cowboys.

Thompson and Hurns do not have Bryant's pedigree. Thompson has fewer yards receiving in his career than Bryant has had in three seasons. Hurns' best season came in 2015 when he had 1,031 yards and 10 touchdowns. Bryant has topped that three times in his career.

The Cowboys' free-agency focus has been on receiver. They wanted Watkins, have added Thompson and will add Hurns. The Cowboys have a keen interest in some of the top receivers in the upcoming draft.

Bryant's numbers have fallen since he signed a five-year, $70 million contract after the 2014 season when he led the NFL in touchdown catches with 16. Not all of it is his fault. Injuries have hurt him, as did poor quarterback play in 2015 with Tony Romo starting and finishing just two games. He had a good eight-game run with Dak Prescott to close 2016, but they were never in sync in 2017.

With the money committed to Williams, Thompson, Beasley and Hurns (once the full financial terms are released), the Cowboys could go to Bryant for a pay cut. In addition to Bryant's $16.5 million cap figure, Williams counts $4.75 million, Beasley $4.25 million and Thompson $1.8 million.

That's $27.3 million without Hurns' cap figure in the equation on wide receivers.

Last month, Bryant told 105.3 The Fan in Dallas that he could not envision playing for a team other than the Cowboys.

It's looking like he may have to now.
Assassin
There may be no bigger lowlife in sports:

Eagles DE Michael Bennett has been indicted on a felony charge of injuring a 66-year-old paraplegic woman at Super Bowl 51.

The 66-year-old woman was working at Houston's NRG Stadium trying to control access to the field. A warrant in the state of Texas has been issued for Bennett's arrest. Then a member of the Seahawks, Bennett attended the Super Bowl to watch his brother Martellus. Michael was accused of shoving his way onto the field after the woman told him to use a different entrance. Bennett faces a penalty of up to 10 years in prison in addition to a $10,000 fine.
Assassin
Decisions; Assuming Allen Hurns takes a vacant/semi-vacant number, his options are:

• 18 (Brian Brown)
  • 81 (KD)

For whats behind curtain #3, which will it be?
First Page Last Page
Page 139 of 845

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.