Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,076,292 Views | 29542 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?

There are a few FA TEs out there - just in case we dont find one in the draft
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
BearForce said:

Franko said:

I really hope there is a run on QBs that includes Lamar Jackson going before 19. I hope there is also a run on WRs like Ridley, Moore and Sutton before pick 19. That could push a defensive player like Vea, Davenport, Derwin James, Da'ron Payne, or Roquan Smith down to Dallas.
I just can't see Roquan falling that far, but if he did that is my pick.
He is one heck of a player. And LB is a position of need for sure
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Franko
BearForce said:

Franko said:

I really hope there is a run on QBs that includes Lamar Jackson going before 19. I hope there is also a run on WRs like Ridley, Moore and Sutton before pick 19. That could push a defensive player like Vea, Davenport, Derwin James, Da'ron Payne, or Roquan Smith down to Dallas.
I just can't see Roquan falling that far, but if he did that is my pick.
I don't either. But if teams get spooked by runs on other positions, plans might get thrown out the window. I'll throw corner backs into the mix of positions that I hope spark a run.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Assassin
Personally, I have zero interest in Dez returning
===============
Speaking Tuesday, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones hinted the team is not open to re-signing free agent Dez Bryant at a lower price.
Bryant believes Jones was not the driving force behind his release, but it's evident the bridge has been burned, at least for the time being. Bryant has drawn rumored interest but has yet to make a visit.
Related: Cowboys

Source: David Helman on Twitter
Apr 24 - 2:34 PM
Assassin
we're probably not in on Ward unless we can use him at S, however as for the other two...
-----------------------------
ESPN's Rob Demovsky believes the Packers could be looking to trade up in the first round for a defensive back.

Green Bay currently owns the No. 14 overall pick, which might be too late to land Florida State S Derwin James, Ohio State CB Denzel Ward, and Alabama CB/S Minkah Fitzpatrick. Demovsky believes the Packers covet that trio, meaning they would need to move up to ensure they land one of them. If they stand pat, Green Bay could turn to Iowa CB Josh Jackson.
BearForce
Assassin said:

Personally, I have zero interest in Dez returning
===============
Speaking Tuesday, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones hinted the team is not open to re-signing free agent Dez Bryant at a lower price.
Bryant believes Jones was not the driving force behind his release, but it's evident the bridge has been burned, at least for the time being. Bryant has drawn rumored interest but has yet to make a visit.
Related: Cowboys

Source: David Helman on Twitter
Apr 24 - 2:34 PM

Hint is a weak description of what Jerry said...Jerry left no doubt their will be no return.
Assassin
so according to this Ravens blogger, they did make an offer - but Dez turned it down.

Assassin
Broadus says to keep an eye on this kid that Dallas likes, Tracy Walker, SS from Louisiana Lafeyette. Looks like he's a mid to later round guy
Assassin
I would be very interested in this kid if Dallas doctors have checked him out. Irregular heartbeat can mean absolutely nothing.
==============
Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline reports Michigan DL Maurice Hurst (heart condition) "will fall out of the first round due to medical concerns." Hurst was flagged for an irregular heartbeat at the Combine but wasn't asked for a medical recheck. His situation is still enough of a concern that some teams have taken him off their draft board. Hurst was a potential top-15 pick before his heath issues, but is now looking at a slide to Day 2.

Source: Draft Analyst
Apr 25 - 6:00 PM

Assassin
quote of the day:

An offensive coordinator told NFL Network he doesn't expect Lamar Jackson to make it as a quarterback.
"Will not be able to play quarterback in this league, mark my words," the coordinator said. "When he throws, he hopes." A quarterbacks coach added that Jackson struggled to "verbalize" his offensive scheme at Louisville. Jackson's accuracy and football IQ have been questioned throughout the pre-draft process, but he's not expected to fall out of the first round.

Source: NFL Network
Apr 25 - 4:31 PM

Assassin
If - BIG IF...

Lamar Jackson is around at 19, there may be some trade ops with the Pats.

I dont see Jackson being worth a darn. He's the anti-Brady. Doesnt study the playbook, doesnt pay attention in meetings, lots of other doesnts.

But the Pats think different. Not sure if this is a Belichek thing or not
----------------
Report: Patriots held Fla. workout with Lamar Jackson
By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL Writer
Published: April 25, 2018 at 03:11 p.m. Updated: April 25, 2018 at 03:16 p.m.

We have more proof the New England Patriots are legitimately interested in quarterback Lamar Jackson.

On the heels of NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport's report that the Pats hosted the Louisville QB at Foxborough, Jenny Vrentas of Sports Illustrated noted Wednesday that New England also held a private workout with Jackson in South Florida, conducted by offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

Rapoport reported that the New England brass is "intrigued and impressed" with Jackson. Adding a workout with McDaniels to the equation further deepens the connection between the Pats and the most dynamic quarterback in Thursday's draft. Despite his success and immense upside, many scouts quibble with how Jackson's ability will translate to the NFL. Allowing McDaniels a hands-on workout could help smooth over some of those lingering questions.

Sitting at No. 23 and No. 31 in the first round, the Patriots could be preparing if Jackson falls past several other QB-needy teams currently sitting outside the top 10 -- No. 11 (Miami), No. 12 (Buffalo), No. 15 (Arizona), No. 16 (Baltimore), No. 17 (L.A. Chargers) and No. 22 (Buffalo again). Bill Belichick could also be sizing up a move up the draft board possibly to pluck his next heir apparent to Tom Brady.

Regardless of the Patriots' motivations, it's clear their interest in Jackson is legit.
Wichitabear
Pat 's coach is such a good coach. He just sees the game differently than anyone else. I don't like him but he is an awesome coach
Assassin
Wichitabear said:

Pat 's coach is such a good coach. He just sees the game differently than anyone else. I don't like him but he is an awesome coach
Sounds to me like Belichek has one foot out the door. If Brady leaves, guessing Bill will be grabbing that door to scoot on the way with him
Assassin
Here's a last look at what league experts are projecting for the Cowboys at pick No. 19:

SI.com's Peter King
Date of Mock: April 23
Pick: Maryland WR D.J. Moore
Comment: "What, no Calvin Ridley? The Alabama wideout seemed so natural here, as did Alabama linebacker Rashaan Evans, at a position (sideline-to-sideline linebacker) of major need for Dallas. But Moore, a fast riser with return ability, could solve two issues for Dallas, and the Cowboys want to find a long-term receiver to be what Dez Bryant failed to be since signing a huge deal in 2015. It's a risky venture, though, based on the recent performance of so many failed number one picks."

The Dallas Morning News' David Moore
Pick: Florida DT Taven Bryan
Comment: "Tough call here. The Cowboys have strong interest in Leighton Vander Esch as well, but there are more solid options in later rounds at linebacker than defensive tackle."

ESPN.com's Todd Archer
Date of Mock: April 24
Pick: Boise State LB Leighton Vander Esch
Comment: "The Cowboys would appear to need a playmaking wide receiver since cutting Dez Bryant and have Calvin Ridley and D.J. Moore staring them in the face. Linebacker, however, must be addressed. Sean Lee hasn't been able to stay healthy. Anthony Hitchens left via free agency. Jaylon Smith is a mystery, despite the confidence the Cowboys profess. In Vander Esch defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli has a middle linebacker with the athleticism of Brian Urlacher, whom he coached in Chicago. The Cowboys can get a receiver in the second round."

CBS.com's Will Brinson
Pick: Alabama WR Calvin Ridley
Comment: "It's too easy to give them a wide receiver if one falls, but they do have a need there when you look at the depth chart."

Pro Football Weekly's Eric Edholm
Pick: Moore
Comment: "I took a long, hard look at Mike McGlinchey here, and he likely would be a Day 1 starter at right tackle. It would make sense, as the Cowboys haven't taken an offensive lineman in the past two drafts. A defensive player very much could be in play, too. But I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and go with Moore. They historically haven't taken receivers in the first two rounds (only Dez Bryant since 2002) but see a speedy and tough playmaker they can't hope to get at No. 50. I believe Moore is their highest-rated receiver, but I don't know that with utter certainty.

The Chicago Sun Times' Patrick Finley
Pick: Moore
Comment: "With Dez Bryant gone, the Cowboys get a receiver to try to take his place."

CBS.com's Chris Trapasso
Pick: Ridley
Comment: "A downfield weapon for Dak who can create separation in the short and intermediate ranges ... Ridley is precisely the type of pass-catcher Dallas wants."

DraftTek.com
Pick: Alabama LB Rashaan Evans
Comment: "Coin flip between Evans and Vander Esch Garrett's affinity for Alabama players versus Cowboys' previous luck in drafting Boise State players."

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain
Date of Mock: April 21
Pick: Alabama DT Da'Ron Payne
Comment: N/A

Rotoworld.com's Josh Norris
Pick: Vander Esch
Comment: "I buy Jane Slater's (and others) mention that the Cowboys gave LVE a Brian Urlacher comparison. It's not like the Cowboys are a leak-proof organization. If LVE isn't on the board, Taven Bryan makes sense. As does a possible receiver."
Assassin
Derwin James:

Quote:

The Cowboys will need to get ahead of Tampa Bay at No. 7 to draft me; '[AT&T Stadium] is nice, the weather is nice, the people are nice here. I wouldn't mind [playing for the Cowboys]'
bearlyafarmer
Assassin said:

Derwin James:

Quote:

The Cowboys will need to get ahead of Tampa Bay at No. 7 to draft me; '[AT&T Stadium] is nice, the weather is nice, the people are nice here. I wouldn't mind [playing for the Cowboys]'

That is one faaaar cry from the days of yore when guys would have given anything to play for the Cowboys, and I was a fan.
Wichitabear
Didn't they trade the heir apparent to San Fran? Should have kept Jimmy G. Brady is not going to be able to play to 50
Assassin
Wichitabear said:

Didn't they trade the heir apparent to San Fran? Should have kept Jimmy G. Brady is not going to be able to play to 50
That was really strange. Not sure who did/didnt want him gone.
Franko
Assassin said:

Derwin James:

Quote:

I would be shocked if Tampa takes James at 7. 4 QBs, Barkley and Chubb are the likely first 6 picks. Then Nelson, Miller, Davis are better players available.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
BearForce
Assassin said:

Wichitabear said:

Brady/Belichek power struggle that Brady is winning.
Assassin
Franko said:

Assassin said:

Derwin James:

Quote:

I would be shocked if Tampa takes James at 7. 4 QBs, Barkley and Chubb are the likely first 6 picks. Then Nelson, Miller, Davis are better players available.
If James is available to us at 19, I cannot imagine anyone else being a better fit. We could have our Jalen Ramsey, just a couple of years later
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Wichitabear said:

Brady/Belichek power struggle that Brady is winning.
And the Pats are about to pay for. Brady's ego helped them win Superbowls. Brady's ego will leave them pretty much depleted very, very soon.
Assassin
Assassin
Van Esch is really picking up ground as a crowd favorite. OLB that can also play DE. Freakish athlete. Some Joey Bosa tendencies.

Assassin
Maycock only got 5 out of 32 right last year. Could that be this year's avg?

He has Dallas bypassing Ridley, Landry Wynn, Evans and DJ Moore and taking....

Assassin
We now know that Randy Gregory has been getting in football shape and will apply for reinstatement following the draft.

Some thoughts - for me, ASSUMING that Dallas knows that he is doing well physically and mentally (a couple of years at his age is huge), this takes Davenport and Landry off the table at 19. Doubtful Chubb would drop - I would still take him.

And I still would not trust Gregory as there will never be a 4 game suspension. Or 1 year suspension. Only a lifetime suspension. One small misstep and he's gone forever.
Assassin
Assassin
check this kid out - remind you of any current cowboy TE? Caught 9 passes for 112 yds and a TD against Aggies in the Belk Bowl. He is the school and ACC career leader in receptions and receiving yards by a tight end. first team All ACC TE;

Late round TE

Franko
I have a feeling that the Cowboys are going to wait to see what happens with Derwin James, then other dominoes will fall. If James drops far enough, they will trade up for him. If he goes early, they make the trade for Earl Thomas.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
trey3216
Assassin said:

Wichitabear said:

Sounds to me like Belichek has one foot out the door. If Brady leaves, guessing Bill will be grabbing that door to scoot on the way with him
If Brady leaves, I could see Bill hanging on for another 2 seasons to see if he could make it work without Brady. A sort of "It was me" move.
BearForce
Assassin said:

check this kid out - remind you of any current cowboy TE? Caught 9 passes for 112 yds and a TD against Aggies in the Belk Bowl. He is the school and ACC career leader in receptions and receiving yards by a tight end. first team All ACC TE;

Late round TE

UMass had a good one too...forgot his name but saw him as I was scouting and hoping BU could snag his teammate Jack Driscoll.
Assassin
Franko said:

I have a feeling that the Cowboys are going to wait to see what happens with Derwin James, then other dominoes will fall. If James drops far enough, they will trade up for him. If he goes early, they make the trade for Earl Thomas.
I dont think they will make that move. They'll wait until next year so they dont have to give up a pick. Several 3rd to 5th round type Ss in this draft.

These are some 3-5th round guys:

Jessie Bates, S, Wake Forest
DeShon Elliott, S, Texas
Jordan Whitehead, S, Pittsburgh
Armani Watts, S, Texas A&M
Kyzir White, S, West Virginia

Later rounds - 5-7ish

Siran Neal, S, Jacksonville State
Marcus Allen, S, Penn State
Natrell Jamerson, S, Wisconsin
Damon Webb, S, Ohio State
Van Smith, S, Clemson

Wichitabear
Draft starts tonight!!!! Are we ready?
Assassin
Wichitabear said:

Draft starts tonight!!!! Are we ready?
I'm pumped.

If we only had 6 more months to analyse...
Assassin
There are a couple of 1st round S's.

Derwin James*, S, Florida State
Minkah Fitzpatrick*, S, Alabama

Fitz might drop to us at 19. Dont think James will far that far.

2nd and 3rd type guys:

Ronnie Harrison*, S, Alabama
Terrell Edmunds*, S, Virginia Tech
Justin Reid*, S, Stanford

Harrison had some issues with the good WRs from Clemson. Edmunds has been on the move up. Reid is Eric Reids kid bro.
First Page Last Page
Page 150 of 845

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.