Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,089,466 Views | 29562 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by trey3216
Franko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearForce said:

Franko said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

I get the feeling (with no proof) that there were some things going on behind teh scenes we didnt know about.

He did have some ankle surgery to remove bone spurs. Those things can be nasty. Could be we were trading damaged goods for damaged goods.

Maybe but considering the Raiders hired our old special teams coach, I doubt he didnt know the deal. From the Raiders perspective, I think they like the special teams contribution that Switzer provides.
Plus, we needed a DT

I know...just hate what we gave up for what I fear we got.
Hard to believe thats what we're focusing on after a fairly decent draft. But it is what it is.

The other trade was superb!
Good point. I think we got 2 immediate starters (Vander Esch and Williams), 2 eventual starters (Gallup and Shultz) and a rotational edge rusher (Armstrong). That's not bad. And there are some intriguing guys at the end of the draft (Mike White and Cedric Wilson). On top of that, if Austin has anything, we got him for a 6.

Second that thought with the Indiana LB being the only head scratcher. Their were I think better LBs still on the board, like both Wisconsin LB, who probably have a better chance of providing depth.
Yes, that was the only curious pick out of them all. Aside from Cichy, Hamilton from Alabama was still on the board there as well.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Wichitabear
Assassin said:

got a question - all of the regular posters on this thread are Premium members. Went back 15 pages, other than one post by Wichitabear, one by tommie and one by reallarrydon, all the rest are Premies (had to work that in)

Just spoke to Brian. He can move this thread to the Premium section if you folk think more members will post.

coming from BFans, I didnt really understand that the Premium folk very seldom come over here.

what say you?
I just joined. You should fit in nicely there but I'm sure you will be missed here.
Assassin
BearForce said:

thats actually very impressive. Making mistakes under fire is one thing - but making mistakes when you have a clean pocket should very seldom happen
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Wichitabear said:

Assassin said:

got a question - all of the regular posters on this thread are Premium members. Went back 15 pages, other than one post by Wichitabear, one by tommie and one by reallarrydon, all the rest are Premies (had to work that in)

Just spoke to Brian. He can move this thread to the Premium section if you folk think more members will post.

coming from BFans, I didnt really understand that the Premium folk very seldom come over here.

what say you?
I just joined. You should fit in nicely there but I'm sure you will be missed here.
Good.
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Franko said:

BearForce said:

Franko said:

Good point. I think we got 2 immediate starters (Vander Esch and Williams), 2 eventual starters (Gallup and Shultz) and a rotational edge rusher (Armstrong). That's not bad. And there are some intriguing guys at the end of the draft (Mike White and Cedric Wilson). On top of that, if Austin has anything, we got him for a 6.
Second that thought with the Indiana LB being the only head scratcher. Their were I think better LBs still on the board, like both Wisconsin LB, who probably have a better chance of providing depth.
Yes, that was the only curious pick out of them all. Aside from Cichy, Hamilton from Alabama was still on the board there as well.
they were talking about Covington on 105.3 today. Said he was drafted as a special teams ace, more or less to take Kyle Wilber's spot. He might replicate Wilbers career in not playing early except on ST, then start to see the field
trey3216
Franko said:

BearForce said:

Franko said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

I get the feeling (with no proof) that there were some things going on behind teh scenes we didnt know about.

He did have some ankle surgery to remove bone spurs. Those things can be nasty. Could be we were trading damaged goods for damaged goods.

Maybe but considering the Raiders hired our old special teams coach, I doubt he didnt know the deal. From the Raiders perspective, I think they like the special teams contribution that Switzer provides.
Plus, we needed a DT

I know...just hate what we gave up for what I fear we got.
Hard to believe thats what we're focusing on after a fairly decent draft. But it is what it is.

The other trade was superb!

Biggest problem with Cichy is he is a poor man's Sean Lee, in every sense of the word. Not as prolific/productive, and hurt even more often than Lee.
Assassin
absolutely amazing!

With the exception of my longtime Javelina buddy Darrell Green, you just dont see CBs with long careers like this:

Vikings re-signed CB Terence Newman.

The Vikings are already deep at cornerback after using their first-round pick on UCF's Mike Hughes, but have long valued Newman's presence and veteran leadership. Five months shy of his 40th birthday, Newman appeared in all 16 games last season, playing 554 snaps. He held his own. That number will probably decrease in 2018.
Gust Avrakotos
The skins just cut Terrell McClain. Wonder if he would be worth a look.

Probably past his prime.

Gust
Assassin
ex Cowboy stuff;

Steelers released S J.J. Wilcox. Wilcox was due over $3 million in non-guaranteed salary, so the special teamer's release was inevitable after the Steelers drafted two safeties.
Franko
Gust Avrakotos said:

Probably past his prime.

Gust
I think he is worth a look. He played well in Dallas' 4-3, but was not a good fit in Washington's 3-4. Still just 29, so not washed up I don't think.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Assassin
Franko said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

Probably past his prime.

Gust
I think he is worth a look. He played well in Dallas' 4-3, but was not a good fit in Washington's 3-4. Still just 29, so not washed up I don't think.
Redskins released DL Terrell McClain. McClain signed a "four-year, $21 million" contract last year which reportedly included guaranteed money this season, but ESPN's John Keim reports McClain's $3.25 million base salary was not guaranteed. Either way, McClain is looking for work following a lackluster one-year stop in Washington. DL A.J. Francis was also cut.
BearForce
Assassin

Maybe you can ask Brian if he can cross link the thread across free and premium, like a game day thread? That way its visible to all.

It would be tragic to lose old loyal BF.com Dallas Cowboys thread posters who for whatever their personal situation don't make the jump to premium.
BearForce
Gust Avrakotos said:

Probably past his prime.

Gust

Gust

I would...he is that 1-tech we need badly.
BearForce
Assassin said:

ex Cowboy stuff;

Steelers released S J.J. Wilcox. Wilcox was due over $3 million in non-guaranteed salary, so the special teamer's release was inevitable after the Steelers drafted two safeties.

Wilcox came on strong his last year here...wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back to backup and or compete with X
GoldMind
Assassin said:

what say you?

Please!
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
TechDawgMc
People on the pay side can come over here if they want. The opposite isn't true.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin

Maybe you can ask Brian if he can cross link the thread across free and premium, like a game day thread? That way its visible to all.

It would be tragic to lose old loyal BF.com Dallas Cowboys thread posters who for whatever their personal situation don't make the jump to premium.
I'll ask him
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin

He just msgd back - he'll see if that can be done
Assassin
Report: Randy Gregory to show NFL evidence he has been clean for two years
http://larrybrownsports.com/football/randy-gregory-nfl-evidence-clean-two-years/441347
April 30, 2018
by Steve DelVecchio

Randy Gregory is hoping he gets another chance to play in the NFL in the near future, and one of the ways the Cowboys defensive end plans to prove his case is by showing that he has stayed away from drugs for quite some time.

Mike Fisher of 247Sports.com reports that Gregory and his camp have prepared a lengthy reinstatement request that they plan to submit to Roger Goodell and the NFL on May 1. The paperwork includes testimonials about Gregory getting himself on the right path as well as evidence that his last failed drug test came two years ago.
Quote:

I'm also told the only thing likely to back that process up is the volume of paperwork Gregory and his representatives are prepared to handover the NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, paperwork that includes an impressive array of testimonials from high-profile people who support Gregory's bid, and paperwork that includes evidence that his last failed drug test came almost two years ago and that he's passed "dozens" of drug tests since.
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is big on second chances, and a recent report indicated the team plans to find a spot for Gregory if the NFL grants him reinstatement. The former Nebraska star has played in only two games over the past two seasons due to multiple failed drug tests, and the Cowboys knew he had a history of off-field issues before they drafted him in 2015.

While it may feel like Gregory has blown every chance he had, he's a promising talent who is still just 25. If he can manage to keep out of trouble and Goodell gives him another chance, the Cowboys could get a major boost from him along their defensive front.
Assassin
Source: Randy Gregory targets May 1 on NFL reinstatement request
The troubled Cowboys defensive end could soon re-join his teammates in Dallas.

Randy Gregory, the gifted Nebraska defensive end selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the second round of the 2015 NFL Draft, has spent the last two years trying to do the "right thing'' -- the right thing for himself and for his employer.

That could all come to fruition as early as Tuesday, May 1, with a source close to the situation telling me that represents his goal to hand over to the league his official request for reinstatement.

I'm also told the only thing likely to back that process up is the volume of paperwork Gregory and his representatives are prepared to handover the NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, paperwork that includes an impressive array of testimonials from high-profile people who support Gregory's bid, and paperwork that includes evidence that his last failed drug test came almost two years ago -- and that he's passed "dozens'' of drug tests since.

Dallas drafted Gregory despite its knowledge of his substance-use issue, and he has been banned from the league for repeated violations of the league's substance-abuse policy. He hasn't played since the Cowboys' final game of the 2016 season. ... and yet the Cowboys hang on, in part because of the potential of the 6-5, 255-pound edge rusher, in part because of the position demonstrated by Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, who believes in both second chances and in Gregory's intelligence and qualities as a person.

Those qualities will be at the fore of Gregory's upcoming presentation to the office of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, I and my colleague Bobby Belt are being told. A case will be built that Gregory, still just 25 and loaded with potential at football's second-most important position, has spent a great deal of time adhering to a rehab program in California, working at a "civilian'' job in Dallas, relying on his background as a product of a loving home, and demonstrating his character as a devoted father to his young child.

It is the on-the-record position of Cowboys COO Stephen Jones that the team operates under a "worst-case scenario'' mindset in regard to Gregory, but that position should not be misconstrued; it's not that the Cowboys lack faith in him -- it's that by NFL rule the club can have very limited contact with him and therefore isn't supposed to be privy to his status.

Nevertheless, Jones was recently on 105.3 The Fan and when asked about our story that indicated the positive possibilities for Gregory, answered, "As you well know, we're just hoping and wishing Randy the best as he's making his journey to try and get back in the NFL. That would just be amazing if he were able to get this done. Certainly, he's still got work to do. ... He has done really well as of late or they wouldn't be going for reinstatement. ... Boy, what a wonderful situation that would be to get him back in a good place.''

Author
Mike Fisher @fishsports

Assassin
courtesy boognish:

Assassin
interesting that a network full of Giant fans offers Jason such a big bunch of cash - maybe to get him off the field?
===============
ESPN reportedly offering Jason Witten more than $4 million per year
April 30, 2018
by Steve DelVecchio

If Jason Witten decides he wants to continue playing for the Dallas Cowboys next season, the star tight end may be turning down one of the best job offers anyone without broadcasting experience has ever received.

David Moore of the Dallas Morning News reports that ESPN has made Witten an offer that would pay him in the range of $4 to 4.5 million annually to serve as the lead analyst for "Monday Night Football." The prestige associated with the job combined with the hefty salary would help explain why Witten seems to be having second thoughts about returning to the field in 2018.

Witten caught 63 passes for 560 yards and five touchdowns last season, so he is still capable of producing. However, he may not get a better offer down the road than the one ESPN is presenting him with this offseason. If a career in broadcasting is something Witten is passionate about, turning down more than $4 million per year to call games on "Monday Night Football" would be tough.

One report claims there is a second broadcast offer that Witten is contemplating, though it would be a shock if he turns down ESPN for another job in the booth.
Assassin
Assassin
the 'final' list of UFAs...
---
Here's a list of the players the Cowboys have agreed to terms with and are expected to be at the team's rookie mini-camp May 11-13.

Dalton Sturm, QB, UT-San Antonio
Jordan Chunn, RB, Troy
Malik Earl, WR, Missouri State
Marchie Murdock, WR, Iowa State
David Wells, TE, San Diego State
Jay Robertson, OL, Tennessee
Jacob Campos, OL, Iowa State
Bryce Johnson, OL, St. Cloud State
Austin Larkin, DE, Purdue
James Hearns, DE, Louisville
Dequinton Osbourne, DT, Oklahoma State
Joel Lanning, LB, Iowa State
Ed Shockely, LB, Villanova
Kyle Queiro, LB, Northwestern
Charvarius Ward, CB, Middle Tennessee State
Kam Kelly, CB, San Diego State
Donovan Olumba, CB, Portland State
Tyree Robinson, S, Oregon
Assassin
Assassin said:

the 'final' list of UFAs...
---
Here's a list of the players the Cowboys have agreed to terms with and are expected to be at the team's rookie mini-camp May 11-13.

Dalton Sturm, QB, UT-San Antonio
Jordan Chunn, RB, Troy
Malik Earl, WR, Missouri State
Marchie Murdock, WR, Iowa State
David Wells, TE, San Diego State
Jay Robertson, OL, Tennessee
Jacob Campos, OL, Iowa State
Bryce Johnson, OL, St. Cloud State
Austin Larkin, DE, Purdue
James Hearns, DE, Louisville
Dequinton Osbourne, DT, Oklahoma State
Joel Lanning, LB, Iowa State
Ed Shockely, LB, Villanova
Kyle Queiro, LB, Northwestern
Charvarius Ward, CB, Middle Tennessee State
Kam Kelly, CB, San Diego State
Donovan Olumba, CB, Portland State
Tyree Robinson, S, Oregon
Cowboys Sign Guard Dustin Stanton
(April 30; 3:45 p.m.) The Cowboys signed guard Dustin Stanton on Monday.
Stanton signed with the Cincinnati Bengals as a rookie free agent out of Oregon State following the 2017 NFL Draft. Paul Alexander, the Cowboys' new offensive line coach, was on the Bengals' staff in the same role then. Stanton was released at the end of training camp and was out of football for the rest of the season.
Stanton adds depth to the 90-man roster as the Cowboys get set for organized team activities in late May. The Cowboys have already improved the position by signing veteran Marcus Martin in March, then drafting Texas' Connor Williamsin the second round last Friday.

https://instagr.am/p/BiIiKvIgQt_

https://instagr.am/p/BiLMMShl-xZ

https://instagr.am/p/BiKjR93HQHQ

Assassin
IMO - there was something more to this then we see. The sportswriters are pretty bland on this. It would appear that we as fans valued Switzer much higher than the coaches or even the writers;

=====================================

Why did Dallas trade away Ryan Switzer for a guy who, based on his production thus far, looks to me as nothing more than a camp body? I get that they had an excess at WR and a need for depth at DT but there definitely feels like there was one or two guys more expendable than Switzer, particularly in regards to the return game.

Bryan: The Raiders called the Cowboys about Switzer, so that's how it got started. Ward is not a camp body. He's a guy that Will McClay really liked coming out of college. He's taking a shot on a player that's young and he feels is a good fit for the rotation. Once Tavon Austin was added, they had no further need for Switzer. It's a great opportunity for him in Oakland.

David: I was intrigued to see what Ryan Switzer might bring to the team in his second season, but those are the breaks of the NFL. Tavon Austin can handle Switzer's return duties, and he also brings a speed element the offense lacked without Lucky Whitehead. Ward hasn't had a ton of success to this point, but the Cowboys had a good grade on him in 2016 and he addresses a need. Seems like a fair swap all the way around.
Assassin
  • The Cowboys' coaching staff got a closer look at defensive tackle Jihad Ward at the Senior Bowl back in 2016 and thinks he can be a good fit in this scheme, either at 1-technique or the 3-technique."We like his movement inside and we feel like he's capable of doing both," Jason Garrett said. "We did spend some time with him down in the Senior Bowl when he was coming out for the Draft. We feel like he fits in our scheme of being an up the field pressure guy. A guy who can disrupt the running game and affect the passer in the passing game at whichever spot. We feel he has the traits to do both." (Nick Eatman)
Assassin
Tavons first WO with the Cowboys. smooth runner and very comfortable catching the ball:

Wichitabear
Kinda makes me sad but know that it is probably his time to go. How do you replace a player like him. Wish him all the best
Franko
Pretty dang funny, and accurate.

2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
Wichitabear
This is so true and pretty much how we were reacting around my house!
trumpetbear
Yep I love day 1 "Leighton...Vander Esch!?! Who is that? What are we doing?"

day 2 "You know I actually like our first pick."

So dang true.
Wichitabear
BearForce
Franko said:

Not far from the truth at all
Franko
BearForce said:

Franko said:

Not far from the truth at all
I think I said about 90% of it, including "Vince Young can't read."
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
First Page Last Page
Page 169 of 845

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.