Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,077,767 Views | 29549 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by BearForce
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cowboys released DT Cedric Thornton.

Signed to a four-year deal last offseason, Thornton received $9 million for his one season in Dallas. He wasn't able to channel his success from Philly.
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Cowboys acquired DE Jayrone Elliott from the Packers in exchange for a conditional 2018 seventh-round pick.

Elliott is mainly a special teams player, but he did produce four sacks across limited snaps last season. He may get more opportunities in Dallas.
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
Here is the 10-man practice squad for now:

G Nate Theaker
OT Dan Skipper
DT Lewis Neal
DT Richard Ash
WR Lance Lenoir
WR Brian Brown
TE Blake Jarwin
OT Kadeem Edwards
S Jameill Showers
CB Marquez White

Glad they kept Neal. Thought he mightt make the 53
Assassin
Cowboys claim first-year defensive tackle Brian Price off waivers from the Green Bay Packers on Sunday.
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Dallas Cowboys trade for Bengals CB Bene Benwikere just hours before final roster cuts

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/9/2/16246618/dallas-cowboys-trade-for-bengals-cb-bene-benwikere-just-hours-before-final-roster-cuts

doesnt exactly set my world on fire
me either! Oh what am I saying, I don't even know the player. Just would have thought the cowboys could have done better.
BaylorProud77
Wrong board to discuss this but Assassin, don't you think CR can turn this football program around in at least 4 years? I say 4 because we will probably lose recruits on the way. He has surrounded himself with talented coaches. I don't know how well that Snow will work out. I don't drink but this is like a hangover day. lol ok thanks
Assassin
BaylorProud77 said:

Wrong board to discuss this but Assassin, don't you think CR can turn this football program around in at least 4 years? I say 4 because we will probably lose recruits on the way. He has surrounded himself with talented coaches. I don't know how well that Snow will work out. I don't drink but this is like a hangover day. lol ok thanks
Hard to say after just one game.

As for recruiting CMR didnt have a lot to offer the 2017 signees but he did pretty well.
Assassin
Assassin said:

Cowboys claim first-year defensive tackle Brian Price off waivers from the Green Bay Packers on Sunday.
David HelmanVerified account @HelmanDC 2h2 hours ago

Lewis Neal had a fantastic camp, but the Cowboys were lacking that space-eating 1-tech that Rod Marinelli loves so much. Hence, Price.
Assassin
#Cowboys are 7-1 in Opening Day prime time games at home while the #Giants are 2-7 in such games on the road.
merckywaters
Assassin said:

Thought I'd kick a new one off here for 2017.

First week in camp. new backup to the backup in McKown.

Nolan Caroll starting at LCB. Scandrik and Anthony Brown at SLot and RCB. Heath and BJ at S, three good looking drafted CBs in the wings in Awuzie, Lewis and White.
did you ever get a final count of views or post totals in the bfans cowboys thread?
#FreeCinque
Assassin
merckywaters said:

Assassin said:

Nolan Caroll starting at LCB. Scandrik and Anthony Brown at SLot and RCB. Heath and BJ at S, three good looking drafted CBs in the wings in Awuzie, Lewis and White.
did you ever get a final count of views or post totals in the bfans cowboys thread?
I think it was 950,000-ish views. Just shy of a million
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

BaylorProud77 said:

Hard to say after just one game.

As for recruiting CMR didnt have a lot to offer the 2017 signees but he did pretty well.
agree. Sure wouldn't want to act like those Texas fans, ha Little Bevo is still cute
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

merckywaters said:

Assassin said:

I think it was 950,000-ish views. Just shy of a million
wow
Assassin
Troy gets married again

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/09/03/troy-aikman-weds-fiancee-capa-mooty-california-beach-ceremony
BearForce
Assassin said:

Troy gets married again

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/09/03/troy-aikman-weds-fiancee-capa-mooty-california-beach-ceremony

But Skip Bayless said....what an idiot.
BaylorProud77
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Troy gets married again

lollol
Assassin
ex Cowboy news

J.J. Wilcox is headed to Pittsburgh from Tampa Bay. The Steelers gave the Buccaneers their sixth-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft and the Buccaneers will also ship their seventh-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft to the Steelers.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Troy gets married again

Was always curious how Bayless would know
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Troy gets married again

Was always curious how Bayless would know

Freudian slip?
Assassin
Cowboys undermine the league's position on Kia Roberts
Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2017, 3:00 PM EDT

Cowboys executive Stephen Jones recently described the team as mere "observers" in the Ezekiel Elliott case. Paperwork filed in connection with the case suggests otherwise.

Cowboys general counsel Jason Cohen has submitted a declaration (an affidavit signed without official notarization, routinely used in federal court) that both explains the harm the team will suffer due to a suspension of Elliott and directly supports the claim that an effort existed to conceal the opinions of Director of Investigations Kia Roberts from Commissioner Roger Goodell.

"Mr. Elliott's six-game suspension will cause the Cowboys irreparable harm," Cohen states at paragraph No. 6 of his declaration. "Mr. Elliott is the starting running back for the team and one of the best players in the NFL. He fulfills a critical role on our team both as a leader and a player. In addition to missing six games (nearly half of the NFL season), he will not be permitted to practice with the team leading up to the games for which his suspension is in effect. Every practice and every game that Mr. Elliott misses will hurt our team's chances of having a successful season and making it to the 2017-18 NFL playoffs and hopefully the Super Bowl. And Mr. Elliott's missing practices and games at the beginning of the season will be very disruptive and affect our team's performance even after he returns."

The term "irreparable harm" has particular significance in this setting; it's one of the key factors to be considered when determining whether to prevent the league from suspending Elliott while the litigation proceeds.

But it's one thing for the Cowboys to support Elliott and, in turn, themselves. It's another to take a direct shot at the operations of the league office.

Cohen, who says he observed the testimony of Roberts and NFL Special Counsel for Investigations Lisa Friel at the Elliott appeal hearing, bolsters the notion that something highly irregular was happening.

"Ms. Roberts testified that she was the only person to interview Mr. Elliott's accuser and all other witnesses in the investigation," Cohen explains at paragraph 4. "She testified that she had credibility concerns about the accuser, and that her view was that there was insufficient corroborating evidence to proceed with discipline. Ms. Roberts testified that she was not invited to communicate her views directly to Commissioner Goodell or to the four advisors from whom he sought guidance regarding this case."

Here's the kicker, from paragraph 5: "Ms. Friel testified that Ms. Roberts was not invited to a meeting with Commissioner Goodell at which Ms. Friel and other NFL executives discussed the case with him. Ms. Friel also testified that Ms. Roberts was not invited to a meeting with the four advisors who were engaged by the NFL to consult with the Commissioner on this matter."

NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart disputed during a phone interview on Friday with PFT the claim that Goodell did not know about Roberts' misgivings. Lockhart said Goodell was aware of her concerns, and Lockhart explained that Roberts was not present for the meeting with the four advisors because the purpose of that meeting was to get information from Elliott, not from league investigators.

Regardless, the use of the term "invited" by Cohen implies that Roberts' omission wasn't inadvertent but deliberate. And the deliberate decision of the Cowboys to submit evidence that tends to support the allegation of a conspiracy to hide Roberts' opinions introduces a level of intrigue to this situation that takes it beyond any of the recent controversies arising when the NFL targets a team or a player for discipline.

Put simply, in the dispute regarding whether Roberts was kept out of the loop in order to make it easier to secure an Elliott suspension, the team owned by Jerry Jones has gone on the record to support Elliott's position and to undermine the league's.
BearForce
Like I said earlier

Rule #1: don't **** with Jerry
Rule #2: see #1
Assassin
Gil Bra dtVerified account @Gil_Brandt 35m35 minutes ago

Cowboys cut more 2017 draft picks (3) than any other team. 17 teams kept all of their picks, 10 teams cut 1 pick, and four teams cut 2 picks
====
guess we couldnt expect last years haul.
Assassin
Cedric Thornton, cut Sunday by the Cowboys, will count $4.25 million against the cap this season since his $3 million base salary is guaranteed. If he signs elsewhere, the Cowboys will get a cap credit but not until 2018. Thornton will count $2.5 million against the cap next year with his remaining signing bonus coming forward.
Assassin
Jayrone Elliott (6-foot-3, 255) recorded nine sacks and 14 tackles for loss at Toledo as a senior. He ran a 4.77 forty at his Pro Day but has an insane 82-inch wingspan, which is longer than any outside linebacker that participated at the Combine.
BearForce
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/9/3/16246762/there-is-some-serious-dallas-cowboys-lineage-tied-to-the-bene-benwikere-trade

There is some serious Cowboys lineage tied to the Bene Benwikere trade
24 NEW, 24
The Cowboys likely checked in with someone close to them before they made the move to trade for Bene Benwikere.

In preparation of their final roster cuts, the Dallas Cowboys made a trade for Bene Benwikere, formerly of the Cincinnati Bengals and Carolina Panthers.

Obviously the Cowboys like what they've seen of Benwikere since he entered the NFL in 2014, but there's likely more to this story than their evaluation of him on tape. Dallas, like many other NFL teams, has trusted sources that it goes to when they have questions about particular players or position groups.

One football mind out there that's been a resource to them before is current University of Colorado Head Coach Mike MacIntyre. For those unaware, MacIntyre served under Bill Parcells in Dallas from 2003-2006 as the team's defensive backs coach.

MacIntyre's first head coaching gig came in December of 2009 from San Jose State. Part of MacIntyre's first recruiting class in preparation of the 2010 season was none other than than new Cowboys cornerback Bene Benwikere (where Benwikere also played with Keith Smith).

Benwikere isn't the only former disciple of MacIntyre on the 2017 Cowboys roster. As MacIntyre is currently the head coach at Colorado, none other than the second round pick of the Cowboys Chidobe Awuzie is just coming off of playing for him.

Earlier this summer MacIntyre was a guest on The Doomsday Podcast where he talked about Chidobe and his Cowboys days. If Bene has his seal of approval, he's likely somebody the Cowboys really like.
Assassin
Franko
I think I am going to Zeke's court hearing on Tuesday. If you Twitter, I'll be tweeting about it beginning at 5:00 pm if they allow phones in the courtroom.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Assassin
Franko said:

I think I am going to Zeke's court hearing on Tuesday. If you Twitter, I'll be tweeting about it beginning at 5:00 pm if they allow phones in the courtroom.
sure.

whats your twitter handle?
Franko
@frank_cawley
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Assassin
Franko said:

@frank_cawley
Cool. I'm @pheck123
Assassin

Scouting Report: New CB Has Limited Speed, But Good Size & Instincts
Sunday, September 03, 2017 1:14 PM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

Name: Bene Benwikere
Position: CB
College: San Jose State
Height: 5-11
Weight: 195
Draft: Selected in the 5th round, No. 148 overall, by Carolina in 2014
Games Studied: 2016 for the Carolina Panthers vs. Denver, San Francisco, Minnesota
Prior to arriving in Dallas, Benwikere had spent time with Carolina, Miami, Green Bay and Cincinnati during his career but he really only saw much playing time with Carolina. After drafting him in 2014, the Panthers released him midway through the 2016 season, and he subsequently spent a month with Miami on both the active roster and the practice squad. The Packers signed him to their practice squad this past January, ultimately releasing him shortly thereafter. He signed with Cincinnati during the offseason and remained with the Bengals through training camp.

During his time in Carolina, he played opposite Josh Norman, so there were snaps where he had to play both corner spots.

This is a smooth player. He saw more zone coverage looks than man with the Panthers. He played in off coverage and would adjust in route. He played with his rear to the sideline and would funnel routes to the inside. He showed easy footwork in his pedal. In watching his tape, I didn't think his body control and balance were poor, but he has a tendency to stare into the backfield -- which would cause him to lose contact with the receiver.

Benwikere allows space, then reacts when the ball is thrown his direction. There were some snaps where the ball didn't come his direction, but he was still beaten on the route because he had his eyes in the backfield.

He will gamble on some breaks he is an aggressive player that way.

When he plays press, he has the size to limit the receiver off the line. He will jam with his inside hand, then sink into position to handle the route. He had an interception against Denver playing this exact technique. He was able to stay in position, contest the ball and make the play.

The tape shows good anticipation and timing, but I think he has his limits on speed. There were snaps where receivers were able to separate from him down the field.

He will set the edge as a tackler -- can be physical that regard. Not afraid to stick his nose in the action.

Bottom line: this is a veteran zone corner that doesn't wow you with his speed. He is not going to make many mental or physical mistakes. Bridge player to get the young guys ready.

Assassin
The scoop on Jayrone Elliott; OLB, situation pass rusher in Green Bay 3-4, very long arms, long strider, decent speed, a little stiff in pass coverage, doesnt play out of control, wraps up well.

Also plays ALL Special Teams, L3 on kickoffs, blocker on punt returns, rushes on FGs and right guard on punt team.

BearForce
Oh NFL...how dumb can you be

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/04/forensic-and-medical-evidence-dont-supplant-witness-credibility-in-elliott-case/

Forensic and medical evidence don't supplant witness credibility in Elliott case
Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2017, 1:35 PM EDT

The league's effort to downplay witness credibility issues in the Ezekiel Elliott case hinges exclusively on forensic and medical evidence that purports to corroborate the conclusion that Elliott committed multiple acts of domestic violence against Tiffany Thompson in July 2016. But the forensic and medical evidence in no way trumps the core question of whether Elliott or Thompson is telling the truth.

Specifically, the NFL believes that "metadata" information retrieved from Thompson's phone shows that photos of alleged injuries were sent to others on the dates she claims they were sent. The NFL then used medical evidence, provided by a pair of doctors, to support the notion that the injuries documented in the photos were suffered during the time that Thompson and Elliott were together.

During last week's appeal hearing, Elliott's representatives presented the testimony of Dr. Michael Graham, who explained that it's impossible to determine the age of bruising from a review of photographs.

"So at the end of the day," Dr. Graham was asked at page 105 of the transcript of the August 29 proceedings, "do you believe within a reasonable degree of medical certainty that it is reliable to age bruising based on photographs that were provided to you in this case?"

Dr. Graham answered, "No."

"And in this case," he was asked at page 111, "there's no way that you or any other qualified expert can look at these photographs and age these bruises with any reasonable degree of medical certainty as to, A, when they occurred, whether it was weeks or days or an hour, and if they even occurred on the same time, things of that nature; would that be a fair statement?"

Dr. Graham answered, "Yes."

The testimony includes a review of the conclusion reached by Dr. Lorraine Giordano, one of the two doctors who provided expert opinions in support of the league's case. Dr. Graham noted at page 115 of the transcript that Dr. Giordano correctly mentioned in her report the problems with dating bruises based on photographs. So why did Dr. Graham have an issue with Dr. Giordano's work?

"Because after coming up with all of the reasons why you shouldn't do it," Dr. Graham said, "she did it. . . . You can't do it."

When Dr. Giordano testified, she was presented with multiple studies that she hadn't seen before producing her report. And as to the conclusion from these studies that it is unreliable to determine the age of a bruise based on a photograph, she admitted that she had no reason to disagree.

The other doctor hired by the league, Lone Thanning, did not testify at last week's hearing. And an interesting exchange appears at page 349 of the transcript regarding her absence.

"[W]ith respect to Dr. Thanning's testimony or her information and report that's in the record, it was represented to me that she was not available to testify because she unfortunately had a medical condition and was in the hospital yesterday," attorney Jeffrey Kessler told arbitrator Harold Henderson. "We have reason to believe that that is false. So I'm going to submit to you the declaration of a private investigator, Mr. Scott Whitlock. Mr. Whitlock will, as you'll see in this declaration, testify that, in fact, Dr. Thanning was in her resident all day yesterday . . . and he went to her door and she answered and that he stayed there all day really into the night and she never left the residence."

Although Kessler didn't blame the league for this, since it's possible Dr. Thanning didn't tell the league the truth, she didn't testify in person or by phone and the circumstances at a minimum invite questions about whether she was avoiding being questioned.
Ultimately, the parties agreed that Dr. Thanning's testimony would have been similar to Dr. Giordano's that it's impossible to determine the age of bruises based on photographs.

So this pulls the entire case back to the question of whether Elliott or Thompson is telling the truth. Elliot testified at the appeal hearing. And Thompson has never given sworn testimony about this case (she was interviewed six times by NFL Director of Investigations Kia Roberts). And the Commissioner observed neither of them explaining their version of the events, relying on others to conclude whether Thompson is credible.

And Kia Roberts concluded that Thompson isn't credible. And Roberts, according to Cowboys general counsel Jason Cohen, wasn't invited to either of the key meetings regarding the case.

The question ultimately becomes, then, whether the NFL can find "credible evidence" of abuse when the league's Director of Investigations has concluded in a dispute that turns on witness credibility that the person accusing player of misconduct is not credible. Really, how can it?

But it did. Unless Henderson scraps the suspension, this flaw in the league's logic will become the centerpiece of the lawsuit Elliott filed on Friday.
Assassin
Scoop on new DT Brian Price. Texas college kid from UTSA. 6'3, 320.

First, this is the type of guy we havent really used a lot in the past, a fireplug. 2 gap guy for Pack. Very active for a guy this size. Great initial burst but dont expect sacks. Thats okay if he's occupying two guys. Moves well up and down the line.

Will play NT or 1tech for us.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Oh NFL...how dumb can you be

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/04/forensic-and-medical-evidence-dont-supplant-witness-credibility-in-elliott-case/

Forensic and medical evidence don't supplant witness credibility in Elliott case
Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2017, 1:35 PM EDT

Zeke could own the NFL by the time this is over
First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 845

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.