Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,077,470 Views | 29546 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Assassin
BearForce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wichitabear said:

We don't have a choice do we? To be happy with these 3 backups

I'm curious, what are you concerned about? Rod Smith showed a lot last year, Jackson made this roster last year, and Bo is a rookie that we will develop. Besides, RB is a young man's position.
KOKQB70
Apologizing n advance, busy and lazy, but latest on #83 and predictions this fall, after accident/video went viral, thanks Assassin, would appreciate others opinions....
Wichitabear
Ok
Assassin
Too many unknowns with Twill right now.
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
GoldMind
Sup with Irving?

Strange post on his IG if you saw it
BearForce
Not sure about IG, but...

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article212569259.html
Wichitabear
Hmmmmmm. That doesn't sound good. Hopefully, the team can keep encouraging him to get out there. He really is a good player. Thanks for posting this bearforce
Assassin
GoldMind said:

Sup with Irving?

Thats why the Cowboys didnt give him a lucrative contract. He's already a well paid multi-millionaire. He could have been a very well paid multi-millionaire.
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
BearForce
Assassin said:

GoldMind said:

Sup with Irving?

Thats why the Cowboys didnt give him a lucrative contract. He's already a well paid multi-millionaire. He could have been a very well paid multi-millionaire.

Yep, which is why they were willing to play chicken with a second round tender.
Assassin
https://instagr.am/p/BjsHz4oAafa
Wichitabear
Ok.
Wichitabear
BearForce
BearForce
BtB: Tavon Austin as a RB means 6 WRs on 53 man roster

If this ends up being true then I don't think one of either Bo or Jackson make the 53. I suspect Bo doesnt make it and gets stashed on the practice squad.
Assassin
Assassin
Might push be coming to shove?
---------
Seahawks FS Earl Thomas officially announced that he is planning to hold out of the team's mandatory minicamp this week and further team activities until his current contract situation is resolved.
Thomas posted a message on Instagram stating he wants to "remain a Seahawk for the rest of my career." But Thomas also said he wants to "have certainty in regards to the upcoming years of my career." Looking for a contract extension, Thomas is scheduled to earn $8.5 million as a base salary in the final year of his contract this season, which ranks as the fifth-highest base salary for all free safeties for the 2018 season. Seattle can fine Thomas up to $84,435 for missing this week's three-day camp if they choose to do so. The 29-year-old earned second-team All-Pro honors last year despite missing two games with a hamstring injury. Seattle had expressed interest in making Thomas available for trade this offseason, but only a potential deal to Dallas surfaced as more than a lukewarm rumor.

Source: Earl Thomas on Twitter
Jun 10 - 10:45 AM
Assassin
ESPN's Mike Reiss doesn't expect the Patriots to sign free agent Dez Bryant.

With Julian Edelman suspended, the Patriots are down their top receiver for the first month of the season, but are expected to stay in-house to fill Edelman's targets. Bryant's free-agent market has been dead since turning down a multi-year offer from Baltimore in April. He's waiting for training camp to sign with a team.
Assassin
Assassin said:

Might push be coming to shove?
---------
Seahawks FS Earl Thomas officially announced that he is planning to hold out of the team's mandatory minicamp this week and further team activities until his current contract situation is resolved.
Thomas posted a message on Instagram stating he wants to "remain a Seahawk for the rest of my career." But Thomas also said he wants to "have certainty in regards to the upcoming years of my career." Looking for a contract extension, Thomas is scheduled to earn $8.5 million as a base salary in the final year of his contract this season, which ranks as the fifth-highest base salary for all free safeties for the 2018 season. Seattle can fine Thomas up to $84,435 for missing this week's three-day camp if they choose to do so. The 29-year-old earned second-team All-Pro honors last year despite missing two games with a hamstring injury. Seattle had expressed interest in making Thomas available for trade this offseason, but only a potential deal to Dallas surfaced as more than a lukewarm rumor.

Source: Earl Thomas on Twitter
Jun 10 - 10:45 AM
Now what for Earl Thomas, Seahawks? Insiders debate outlook
play
6:47 PM CT
NFL Insiders

Earl Thomas wants a new contract from the Seattle Seahawks, announcing Sunday that he's skipping mandatory minicamp this week "until my contract situation is resolved."

The 29-year-old safety, who has made three first-team All-Pro teams and six Pro Bowls and has 25 career interceptions, is entering the final year of a four-year, $40 million deal. He was the subject of trade speculation earlier this offseason, and the Dallas Cowboys have flirted with trying to acquire him. Seahawks general manager John Schneider never shot down the possibility of a Thomas trade, saying it's his job to listen to all offers.

So, now what for Thomas and the Seahawks? We asked our panel of ESPN NFL Insiders to weigh in what Schneider & Co. should do next, which teams make sense for Thomas, and more:

Should the Seahawks trade Thomas or give him an extension?

Brady Henderson, Seahawks reporter: I doubt that Thomas would take much less than the $13 million that Eric Berry makes a year as the league's highest-paid safety, so I would try to extend him with a similar average but structure it in a way that minimizes the financial commitment in later seasons. The Seahawks would be much better off keeping Thomas in the fold given all the key pieces their defense has lost, but they also have to protect themselves in the long term after getting burned on big-money extensions for Kam Chancellor and Michael Bennett. Accomplishing both might be easier said than done.

Mina Kimes, senior writer: I would extend him at $13 million a year, which is how much Eric Berry is making. If the Seahawks really aren't in full rebuild mode (they've claimed it's more of a "little reset"), they need Thomas on the field to contend. He's an all-world talent who showed no signs of decline last season.

Field Yates, NFL Insider: I'd extend Thomas and not overthink the financial ballpark too significantly -- he's going to be among the highest-paid safeties in the league. Thomas is the game's most instinctive and versatile free safety. Seattle's window might have a different outlook in 2018 compared to previous seasons, but Thomas is a homegrown elite player.

Mike Sando, senior NFL writer: I'd extend his contract for $12-13 million a year. Thomas will want more than that, and it's looking like other teams aren't offering a ton in a trade, so it's not as simple as just saying extend him or trade him.

Matt Bowen, NFL writer: I would extend Thomas. He's still a blue-chip talent and a key to the Seahawks' core defensive system. Given his range, ball skills and high-level awareness as a deep-middle player, Thomas' salary should be on par with the highest-paid safeties in the league.

Dan Graziano, national NFL writer: I'd extend him, personally. I understand the Seahawks are rebuilding their secondary, but that means they're not paying anyone else in the unit top-of-market money (unless Chancellor actually does play again). Thomas is still under 30 and probably could help make the rebuild work. Assuming Chancellor is off the books, why wouldn't they be able to give him a deal in that ($12 million/year) range?

Aaron Schatz, editor-in-chief of Football Outsiders: The best result would be to extend Thomas on a short-term deal. He's likely to still be one of the top free safeties in football for the next two or three years. But will he take $13 million, and will he take it for only three years? Throw more than that on the contract and you risk carrying dead weight in a couple years.

If the Seahawks trade Thomas, which team makes the most sense to target him?

Henderson: Dallas Cowboys. They are the obvious choice given that they're the only team known to have had serious interest in Thomas. He has serious interest in playing for them, which could matter for this reason, among others: Any team that trades for Thomas would want to have an extension in place first, and that would be facilitated if Thomas was willing to take a little less money in exchange for the chance to play for his hometown team.

Kimes: Dallas Cowboys. Dallas, which hired former Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard as its defensive backs coach, is the obvious choice. I think Seattle would rather stomach a brief holdout than cough up Thomas for a mid-round pick, though.

Yates: Los Angeles Chargers. Yes, they used a first-round pick on Derwin James, but top-tier defenses don't overthink talent. Former Seahawks coordinator Gus Bradley holds the same spot in Los Angeles. The New England Patriots are an example of a team that relied on three-safety looks on two thirds of their snaps last season. It's a valuable position, and there is no such thing as having too many talented defensive backs.

Sando: Dallas Cowboys. Because of their system and Thomas' apparent desire to play there.

Bowen: Dallas Cowboys.They make the most sense because of the need at the position and Thomas' immediate fit in their scheme. This would be a seamless transition for Thomas, and his presence would upgrade the entire Dallas defense.

Graziano: Dallas Cowboys. They have been the team most closely connected with Thomas, and they still have a need at the position. The Cowboys wouldn't part with their second-round pick in the draft without knowing for sure whether they could sign him long-term, and maybe now that Thomas is exerting some leverage on the Seahawks, their patience could end up paying off, and they can get him for less.

Schatz: Dallas Cowboys. I wish I could be creative and suggest a team other than Dallas, but you end up with teams in the division (San Francisco, a trade that will never happen) or teams with cap space that have a clear hole at strong safety but not free safety (Indianapolis). The Houston Texans might make an interesting landing spot, though, especially with the recent announcement about Andre Hal's health.

Is Thomas a Hall of Famer right now?

Henderson: If the question is whether Thomas should be a Hall of Famer if he retired now, my answer is yes. He has been arguably the most impactful player on a historically great defense. If the question is would he, I'd say probably. Looking at recent precedent, former Seahawks safety Kenny Easley -- who had a similar career to Thomas' -- had to wait 25 years before he was elected last year.

Kimes: Yes, especially if he plays at a high level for two more years. Darrelle Revis once said this to me about Thomas: "That guy has Hall of Fame written all over him."

Yates: Yes. Part of a player's candidacy extends beyond his numbers, though Thomas' statistical production is
Assassin
This guy - he *****es and whines for years about the HoF not letting him in... and now:

Terrell Owens, who was selected for enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year, has declined an invitation to attend the induction ceremony, he said Thursday.

"While I am incredibly appreciative of this opportunity, I have made the decision to publicly decline my invitation to attend the induction ceremony in Canton," Owens said in a statement released Thursday. "... After visiting Canton earlier this year, I came to the realization that I wish to celebrate what will be one of the most memorable days of my life, elsewhere."
BearForce
Assassin said:

This guy - he *****es and whines for years about the HoF not letting him in... and now:

Terrell Owens, who was selected for enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year, has declined an invitation to attend the induction ceremony, he said Thursday.

"While I am incredibly appreciative of this opportunity, I have made the decision to publicly decline my invitation to attend the induction ceremony in Canton," Owens said in a statement released Thursday. "... After visiting Canton earlier this year, I came to the realization that I wish to celebrate what will be one of the most memorable days of my life, elsewhere."
Agree...the theory that is making the rounds is he can't get any of his old teams to help with the cost of attending the ceremony. Apparently, it is customary for the team you associate with for your HoF induction to help with the travel and surrounding pre and post ceremony parties and such but given how Owens left each of his teams he may not be getting that customary hook up, and given that he is allegedly broke, he is allegedly going to try and monetize this by getting someone to sponsor him doing his own thing.
BearForce
BearForce
Randy Gregory in New York to meet with NFL officials

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/11/randy-gregory-in-new-york-to-meet-with-nfl-officials/
Assassin
BearForce said:

Huge!

Where does that put us on the cap with DLaw still to be done?
Assassin
Cowboys DL David Irving is expected to participate in minicamp.
Irving skipped the voluntary portions of the offseason program in part because he was dealing with off-the-field issues. With those resolved, he is ready to go. Irving recorded seven sacks in just eight games last season. Entering a contract year, Irving could cash in if he is able to stay on the field and productive this season.

Source: Brandon George on Twitter
Jun 12 - 10:21 AM

boognish_bear
Guess SMU did not teach route trees either

Wichitabear
S11
Staff
boognish_bear said:

Guess SMU did not teach route trees either

Their run n shoot scheme borrowed some west coast concepts but ran few true nfl route trees. That said it was much more pro ready than the CAB system which was essentially weaponized simplicity using typecast personnel and RPOs to tie it all together. Great system for winning games regardless.
Assassin
Broadus thoughts from the first day of OTAs:

Here's my notebook from Tuesday's opening act:
  • Great, quick decision by Dak Prescott to find Geoff Swaim right over the top of the ball on a third down during team period. Swaim was able to release wide and then settle down between Jaylon Smith and a driving Xavier Woods for the first down. I felt like Woods had a chance to make it a contested catch if he could have reacted a little quicker. He saw what was happening just a tick late.
  • Cole Beasley, working on the outside, was able to sneak inside on a curl against Byron Jones. Beasley made the catch two yards short of the sticks but was unable to extend for the first down, as Jones was right there to wrap him up. The tackle at the spot was able to get the defense off the field.
  • Smart play by the rookie Dorance Armstrong, who stayed at home on the waggle by Cooper Rush. Armstrong's discipline forced Rush to throw the ball wide to Blake Jarwin. Damien Wilson wasn't fooled on the play either and was right there in tight coverage on Jarwin. Rush had nowhere to throw the ball.
  • Marchie Murdock and K.D. Cannon tried to work an exchange route, but Duke Thomas and Donovan Olumba jammed them both at the line of scrimmage -- thus killing the play. By the time Cannon was able to escape, it was too late and Mike White was sacked by defensive end James Hearns as he was trying to get the ball out.
  • I liked what I observed from Kadeem Edwards and Cameron Fleming going to their left in order to get Rod Smith around the corner. Edwards had a beautiful kick out on Anthony Brown, as Fleming curled back to the inside to block Tre'von Johnson. Smith had clear sailing on the play.
  • Tremendous job by Dak Prescott, moving Jaylon Smith with his eyes to allow Geoff Swaim to run across the field to an open space for a first down. Smith had dropped straight back in zone and was waiting there until Prescott moved him off the spot. With Smith gone, Swaim worked around behind him into the spot he vacated for the catch.
  • I saw a really nice recovery by Joe Thomas today, as he rallied to carry Allen Hurns from his linebacker spot. It appeared that Hurns was wide open when he broke to the inside, then back out. Thomas had to hustle covering ground to prevent Cooper Rush from getting Hurns the ball. Rush was forced to check the ball down to Jamize Olawale instead of hitting Hurns for a big gain.
  • Cooper Rush tried to fit the ball inside to Cedrick Wilson on a slant, but Duke Thomas didn't allow him inside. Thomas was able to jam him along the line, leaving Wilson in a poor spot to get himself in position to collect the pass. Charles Tapper knocked Chaz Green to the ground to apply late pressure on Rush.
  • What a good backside cut off block by Kadeem Edwards on Joe Thomas to give Bo Scarbrough space to run the ball. Blake Jarwin was able to pin Damien Wilson to the outside in order to create a lane. I thought this was the best Edwards has practiced in the opportunities we've had to watch this past month.
  • A nice slot blitz by Anthony Brown got home before Prescott could get the ball out. Swaim was open too late and it appeared that Prescott wanted to go to Cole Beasley first -- but he couldn't make it happen. The blitz was well-timed by Brown to get there unblocked.
  • It's not your normal formation, but it's interesting to see Cole Beasley and Tavon Austin both on the field at the same time -- with neither of them playing in the slot. Beasley and Austin are the shortest of the receivers and were lined up wide on the outside.
Assassin

Quote:

Suspended Cowboys DE Randy Gregory met with commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday.
In treatment, Gregory has reportedly passed a drug test every day for the past six months. He's been suspended since early in the 2016 season. Provided there aren't any speed bumps, the meeting with Goodell should be one of Gregory's final hurdles to clear before reinstatement. That's if the commissioner bought what Gregory was selling.
Source: Yahoo Sports
Jun 12 - 7:59 PM

This should be interesting. Pretty much everyone has written him off but Mr Jones.

Lots of folks rag on Jerry but this guy is about as loyal as they come. He has continually helped older Cowboys down on their luck when no one else would
Assassin
wouldya?
--------------
Free agent DeMarco Murray turned down a tryout with the Saints.
ESPN's Adam Schefter adds Murray is "waiting for the right opportunity" and still feels he can contribute in a significant role. Murray hasn't had any interest since his Dolphins visit in March. Coming off a down 2017 and in his age-30 season, Murray looks unlikely to land any guaranteed money. He may go unsigned until training camp.
Related: Saints

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Jun 13 - 12:40 PM
Assassin
ex cowboys stuff
--
Ron Leary missing all of OTAs. season ended with back surgery last year. Will be interesting to see if that $36mil contract pays off for the Broncs.
Franko
Zack Martin's deal is 7 years, $93.41 million. Best part is that it creates $3 million in cap room for this year. Earl Thomas anyone?
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Wichitabear
I would love to have Earl Thomas
Franko
Wichitabear said:

I would love to have Earl Thomas
Well, free agency is over. So there is no need to create cap room for this year. Unless you are trying to free up money to sign a player in a trade.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Assassin
Franko said:

Zack Martin's deal is 7 years, $93.41 million. Best part is that it creates $3 million in cap room for this year. Earl Thomas anyone?
Or see if we can extend DLaw?
First Page Last Page
Page 178 of 845

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.