Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,078,188 Views | 29549 Replies | Last: 12 hrs ago by BearForce
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gotta say, I did not see a win in any sense of the word.

oldbear69, there is an outside chance we do run the table. we get Sean Lee, David Irving and T Smith back... dang
Assassin
Broadus - grading the tape:

Jourdan Lewis only played eight defensive snaps in the game, but every single one of them was huge. Lewis drew the assignment of covering Alvin Kamara and he couldn't have played better. He ended the game with an interception, but he could've had another one early on in the action. Saints coach Sean Payton attempted to flare Kamara out of the backfield to pick up a third and long. Payton was trying to pick Lewis with Tre'Quan Smith up the field, but Lewis read it all the way and ran around it. Lewis was able to maintain his position while Drew Brees was feeling pressure from Randy Gregory and Tyrone Crawford. That forced him to just unload the ball, which Lewis almost came up with.

It's been a quiet season for Blake Jarwin, but he made a nice reception and run to get the offense off the goal line when it appeared that the Saints had them in a punting situation. It was a good call by Scott Linehan to get Jarwin open by using Amari Cooper as a pick to get him in the flat. Dak Prescott never hesitated getting the ball to Jarwin with no Saints defender within 10 yards of him.

One of the questions that I had about Leighton Vander Esch was his ability to take on and shed blockers. There were snaps while at Boise where you would see him struggle to disengage, but that hasn't been the case for him this rookie season. He has played this season with some pop. One great example of that was on the stop that they made on the goal line. DeMarcus Lawrence might have made the fourth down tackle, but it was Vander Esch who knocked Andrus Peat on his rear, then redirected to help on the play. Vander Esch has more than answered those questions that scouts had about his physicality.

Facing a third and short, it was quite a play Daniel Ross to quickly beat the block by Max Unger and get up the field to capture Mark Ingram in the backfield for no gain. Leighton Vander Esch was also there in perfect position to help on the play, as he split the blocks of Andrus Peat and Larry Warford to clean up. It was a huge play to get the defense off the field.

Clever design to get Ezekiel Elliott out on the screen off the fake of the ghost motion by Cole Beasley, as well as pulling Blake Jarwin across the formation. A key block by Zack Martin on Vonn Bell allowed Elliott to get around the corner, but it was the downfield block by Noah Brown that allowed Elliott to secure a first down and pick up an extra eight yards.

It was good to see Chidobe Awuzie have some early success in coverage. I was worried that Drew Brees was going to attack Awuzie much like we've seen opponents do the last several weeks. On the ball to Michael Thomas, Awuzie played him well off the line as Thomas tried to knock his hands away. Awuzie didn't give him much room, and when he read Thomas going up for the ball, he was right there to disrupt his hands so he couldn't grab it at the high point.

A couple of really nice double-team blocks by Cameron Fleming, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Joe Looney and Zack Martin, which sprung Ezekiel Elliott on his long run of the night. Dak Prescott helped as well with just enough of the fake on the read-option to hold Alex Okafor in place. Elliott hesitated for just a split second to allow the blocks to develop further before making his cut. Once in the open field, Eli Apple attempted to bring him down but with not much luck.

Beautiful reception by Amari Cooper early in the game, along the sideline, with Marshon Lattimore driving on him. Cooper got Lattimore to turn around, creating separation. That was all Dak Prescott needed to get him the ball, allowing Cooper to get both feet down in bounds. Credit Cameron Fleming with a block on Marcus Davenport which gave Prescott a clean path to make the throw.

Outstanding pass from Dak Prescott to Michael Gallup for a key third- and-long conversion. On the route, Gallup was able to move Eli Apple enough to the inside, which gave him the space to work on the outside. With pressure off the backside from P.J. Williams, Prescott hung in there just long enough to allow Gallup to make his break. The ball was in a perfect spot for Gallup to extend and make the reception.

In scouting we talk about defensive tackles that play outside of the tackle box. When you watch these tackles play, the one trait they all have is the ability to chase the ball. It doesn't matter who's on the field, when the ball gets to the outside Rod Marinelli and Leon Lett have them on the move. Caraun Reid is one of those guys in the rotation that has been good when it comes to chasing that ball. The Saints tried to set up a screen, which Anthony Brown read right off the jump. Brown was unable to bring Mark Ingram down, but he got enough of him to slow him down. Reid saw this whole play develop and sprinted to his left, arriving just in time to keep Ingram from turning the corner for a sizeable gain.

I am not sure I've seen a game where this Cowboys' defense tackled as well as this. They played a comparable game at Lambeau Field in 2016, but this was as impressive of a show as I can remember. I believe it was their tackling which won this game for them. The Saints put a great deal of stress on your defenders to have to make plays in space. Whether it was Jaylon Smith, Leighton Vander Esch or Anthony Brown, they came to tackle. Down after down, as soon as the ball was in the hands of a Saints skill player, there was a white jersey there to bring him down. The Saints were never able to get anything going offensively from a big play perspective because the Cowboys didn't give them the opportunity.

You don't need a former NFL scout telling you this, but Jaylon Smith is starting to play like he did at Notre Dame. The explosive player that was sideline-to-sideline in that game last night was the same player I saw in South Bend. When you watched Smith play before the injury, you could feel his tackles through the film. Ball carriers just folded when he hit them. We're starting to see that more and more. And I'm not just talking about the hit he laid on Alvin Kamara on the sideline, as it has been a common theme throughout the season. Smith is now able to generate an incredible amount of speed and this has allowed him to deliver some wicked hits. A man running that fast and that powerful is going to cause opponents problems. The really scary thing is: given the improvement we've already seen this season, Jaylon Smith is only going to get better.
Assassin
Beazly;s ankle sprain may keep him out for a game or two. It appears the Cowboys are close to getting Tavon Austin back from a groin injury that has sidelined him since the Jaguars game on Oct. 14. Austin should be able to work out of the slot and return punts if Beasley can't go.
BearForce
Assassin said:

Beazly;s ankle sprain may keep him out for a game or two. It appears the Cowboys are close to getting Tavon Austin back from a groin injury that has sidelined him since the Jaguars game on Oct. 14. Austin should be able to work out of the slot and return punts if Beasley can't go.
I'm starting to think that Austin may be an upgrade to Beaz when he gets back, especially on special teams but also as a slot receiver.
S11
Staff
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

I'm starting to think that Austin may be an upgrade to Beaz when he gets back, especially on special teams but also as a slot receiver.

Explosive plays yes

Consistency heck no
BearForce
S11 said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Explosive plays yes

Consistency heck no
Normally I would agree but Beasley has for some reason pretty much disappeared of late which makes me wonder if he wasn't healthy or is slipping, sort of like he faded last year too, granted part of that was he was seeing rolled coverage.
Assassin
BearForce said:

S11 said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Explosive plays yes

Consistency heck no
Normally I would agree but Beasley has for some reason pretty much disappeared of late which makes me wonder if he wasn't healthy or is slipping, sort of like he faded last year too, granted part of that was he was seeing rolled coverage.
I think that my be more on the OL. When Dak had time - or could roll out, Beaz was a better target
Assassin
OUCH if you're a Chiefs fan. Rookie that led the league in rushing last year witgh 1,327 yds and 8 TDs booted by team after lying to the NFL. Kareem Hunt is a FA.

Big blow to them for the longterm and shortterm
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

S11 said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Explosive plays yes

Consistency heck no
I think that my be more on the OL. When Dak had time - or could roll out, Beaz was a better target

Not sure I can buy that when Gallup is getting more and more targets...and a lot of then are more than 10 yards downfield.
Wichitabear
Gallup =Awesome.
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

Gallup =Awesome.

Yes...I watched him at Colorado St and wanted him bad. So happy we got him.
Wichitabear
Me too!!!
Assassin
Dallas to get XFL franchise; https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2018/12/01/report-xfl-coming-dallas-thereabouts?utm_source=pushly
Wichitabear
I guess that's exciting for you guys. Ha
Assassin
folks forget what dire straits the Cowboys were in before Jerry stepped in

GoldMind
Assassin said:

They also quickly forget that without Jerry we only have 2 rings...
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
BearForce
Assassin said:

Ironically NCNB is now part of Bank of America and why BOA is now Headquartered in Charlotte.
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

I guess that's exciting for you guys. Ha

Just for you, your weekly rooting guide: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/12/2/18121806/official-cowboys-fan-rooting-guide-for-week-13-of-the-2018-season
Wichitabear
So sweet Bearforce. Lol. I love it.
Assassin
as much as I 'hate' the Giants, that was a pretty cool play by Beckham. Reverse end run, takes shotgun handoff, fakes run over RT, pulls up, tosses a 50 yd TD pass. that was his second this year
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Wichitabear
Your going to have to yell for em today buddy
Wichitabear
Or lose. Crap. I have to go back and read the info again.
Wichitabear
I see y'all rolling your eyes!
Assassin
Giants pull out a game they tried very hard to give away.

Good. Moves them back few spots in Rd 1 of the draft
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
BearForce
Assassin said:

Giants pull out a game they tried very hard to give away.

Good. Moves them back few spots in Rd 1 of the draft
We got quite a few good results already going by the rooting guide.
Franko
Not a surprise, but I was hoping maybe Frederick could make it back for the playoffs.

2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
BearForce
Franko said:

Not a surprise, but I was hoping maybe Frederick could make it back for the playoffs.

Beard is gone for the year...I'd figured.

To me the priorities in order are
Tyron Smith
David Irving
Sean Lee
Assassin
Franko said:

dang it. At least Looney is doing a solid job in his absence. Not a lot of mistakes.
Franko
Assassin said:

Franko said:

dang it. At least Looney is doing a solid job in his absence. Not a lot of mistakes.

True, but it would be nice to move Looney over to left guard.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Assassin
If the Skins win tonight, they will be slightly ahead of us in the standings by virtue of the tie breakers according to 105.3.

They have Eagles, Giants, Jags, Titans and Eagles

We have Eagles, Colts, Bucs and Giants

We could both win out.

Franko
Assassin said:

If the Skins win tonight, they will be slightly ahead of us in the standings by virtue of the tie breakers according to 105.3.

We could both win out.

Skins ain't winning out with McCoy at QB.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
trumpetbear
Franko said:

Assassin said:

We could both win out.

Feel bad for him. I got nothing against him besides the school he attended. Good kid with a good head on his shoulders.
BearForce
trumpetbear said:

Franko said:

Assassin said:

We could both win out.

Feel bad for him. I got nothing against him besides the school he attended. Good kid with a good head on his shoulders.

Colt is now broke too...Sanchize is now the QB for the foreskins.
Assassin
BearForce said:

trumpetbear said:

Franko said:

Assassin said:

We could both win out.

Colt is now broke too...Sanchize is now the QB for the foreskins.
crap. Kinda wanted them to win some just to keep us our toes.

The bye is out of the question with the Saints and Rams so far ahead.

Assassin
Lowest completion percentage allowed vs. cornerbacks this season: Dre Kirkpatrick: 44.8% (3 TDs allowed, 0 INTs) Stephon Gilmore: 47.7% (4 TDs allowed, 2 INTs) Byron Jones: 49% (0 TDs allowed, 0 INTs) Marlon Humphrey: 49.1% (4 TDs allowed, 0 INTs)
First Page Last Page
Page 249 of 845

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.