Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,076,552 Views | 29545 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Assassin
BearForce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wichitabear said:

The Rams loss????

Yep, 30 to 23
Wichitabear
Omg!!!!! Makes so mad.
BUbearinARK
Never count the cowboys out!! Unless you mean superbowl. Then its ok.
Wichitabear
That's for sure
Assassin
Dallas Cowboys: 8-6 overall, 4-1 in division
Philadelphia Eagles, 7-7 overall, 3-2 in division
Washington Redskins: 7-7 overall, 2-3 in division
New York Giants: 5-9 overall, 1-4 in division

All the Dallas Cowboys have to do is win either Tampa or Giants and they win the NFC East.
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Wichitabear
I'm not sure we can beat Tampa. Seriously.
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

I'm not sure we can beat Tampa. Seriously.

Our defense is good enough...it is the offense that is always the question.
Wichitabear
Indeed. Gotta fix it. Who's gonna do that? Lol
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

Indeed. Gotta fix it. Who's gonna do that? Lol

Someone not currently on this staff.
Wichitabear
Lol yep. I think I will recommend you and Assassin. Y'all can line them out I 'll just stand behind y'all yelling what great decisions your making. Lol

Assassin
When the Cowboys picked up the fifth-year option on Byron Jones' contract in August this year, they ensured they'd keep their 2015 first-round pick in Dallas through at least the 2019 season, giving them one less free agent to worry about after the 2018 season.

And there is enough to worry about: DeMarcus Lawrence, Cole Beasley, and David Irving headline a list of 16 players who'll hit some kind of free agency after the season.

Here's the Cowboys' motley crew of soon-to-be free agents.

Two tagged or tendered players (DeMarcus Lawrence and David Irving). Lawrence and Irving were tagged respectively tendered on what were effectively one-year, prove-it deals. Did they prove they're worth a contract extension?

Two players are from the 2015 draft class (Damien Wilson and Geoff Swaim) and are playing on the final year of their rookie contracts. Do the Cowboys want to work out an early deal with either of them, or will they let them hit free agency first to gauge their value?

Six players are playing on one-year deals for the Cowboys this year (Tavon Austin, Cameron Fleming, Jamize Olawale, Marcus Martin, Caraun Reid, Darian Thompson), which makes them feel a little bit like rentals.

Four players on veteran contracts are playing out the final year of their veteran contracts (Cole Beasley, L.P.LaDouceur, Rod Smith, Datone Jones).

Two players are restricted or exclusive rights free agent. Daniel Ross is an ERFA, Justin March-Lillard is a RFA, both of which come with some very specific rules and stipulations as outlined a little further below.

Here's a summary table of all 16 players who could carry some kind of free agent designation after the 2018 season.

Player Pos. Type Cap Hit 2018
Players tagged or tendered
DeMarcus Lawrence DE UFA 17.1
David Irving DT UFA 2.9
2015 draft class
Damien Wilson OLB UFA 0.7
Geoff Swaim TE UFA 0.6
Veterans on expiring contracts
Cole Beasley WR UFA 3.4
L.P. Ladouceur LS UFA 1.1
Datone Jones DE UFA 0.8
Rod Smith RB UFA 0.7
One-year "Rentals"
Tavon Austin WR UFA 3.0
Cameron Fleming T UFA 2.5
Jamize Olawale FB UFA 2.0
Marcus Martin G UFA 0.9
Caraun Reid DE UFA 0.8
Darian Thompson FS UFA 0.7
Restricted Free Agents (ERFA)
Justin March-Lillard ILB RFA 0.6
Daniel Ross DT ERFA 0.5

So how many players on this list will the Cowboys keep beyond 2017? Let's take it from the top.

DeMarcus Lawrence is going to get paid. Lawrence will get a deal from the Cowboys that will make people's eyes water: It will be higher than the five-year, $85 million contract ($52.5 million in guarantees) Olivier Vernon signed with the Giants in 2016. The next time you see an uninformed opinion about how the Cowboys won't have to pay a premium for Lawrence, keep in mind that Lawrence's agent is David Canter, who is none other than the guy who negotiated Vernon's deal. Canter and Lawrence know what time it is, and the Cowboys do too.

David Irving isn't going to get paid. The Cowboys will almost certainly let David Irving hit free agency to show him and his agent that his market value is much lower than they think. In fact, there may not be much value at all, so the Cowboys could probably sign him at a steep discount. But I'm guessing that the relationship between the player and the team has regressed to such an extent that Irving's time in Dallas is coming to an end, cheap contract or not.

The Cowboys are going to let Damien Wilson and Geoff Swaim walk. Somebody is going to pay Damien Wilson a ton of money in free agency next year, and most Cowboys fans are going to wonder why, but he may be the most underrated linebacker at the SAM position I've seen, what with all the attention in Dallas focused on Vandersomething and Jaylon. Plus the Cowboys can lock up his successor (Justin March-Lillard) for next to nothing.

At TE, I assume the Cowboys are going to draft a TE high in next year's draft, and with the three remaining tight ends showing they can pick up Swaim's slack, Swaim will go the John Phillips-route and move on.

Cole Beasley is going to get paid by some other team. In the right system, Beasley can easily be a 1,000+ yard receiver, and some team not named Dallas will pay him accordingly.

The Cowboys extend L.P. LaDouceur - unless he retires first. But an extension will not mean much, as L.P. could easily find himself "Maher-ed" after camp. The Cowboys will most certainly bring in a young long snapper, and they could save half a million by moving to the younger guy. So what'll it be, L.P.? Go through the rigors of OTAs and training camp only to be cut in September, or retire right away?

The Cowboys would like to extend Rod Smith, but at a reasonable price. Without Smith, the Cowboys have Elliott and a whole bunch of nothing at running back, which would force their hand in free agency and/or the draft. They don't want that, so they'll extend an offseason offer. But will that offer be high enough to retain Smith?

Datone Jones is not coming back. 2018 wasn't a good year for Jones, who played five snaps before landing on injured reserve with a knee injury.

Three one-year rentals likely get extended. When looking ahead to next year, it's sometimes beneficial to look at this year and figure out the utilization of the players this year.

2018 Snapcounts by week
Player 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Total
Jamize Olawale 6 9 3 6 6 8 1 4 9 10 8 9 11 90
9% 17% 5% 9% 10% 11% 2% 7% 13% 16% 11% 13% 11%
Tavon Austin 10 18 20 17 23 18 106
16% 34% 33% 25% 37% 25%
Cameron Fleming 1 1 7 1 4 69 71 154
2% 1% 10% 1% 6% 99% 100%
Caraun Reid 28 10 10 15 39 11 4 117
52% 13% 14% 24% 70% 17% 8%
Darian Thompson 1 1
2%
Marcus Martin IR IR IR IR IR IR IR IR IR IR IR IR IR IR

From the table above, I'd suggest that Marcus Martin, Darian Thompson and Caraun Reid will not be back next year. Reid has been getting a moderate amount of snaps, but keep in mind that he was initially released during final roster cuts, and then brought back as an injury replacement a few weeks later, and that's what he has remained.

Jamize Olawale will get extended. He's a solid if infrequently-used addition, and as long as the Cowboys continue to play with a fullback, extending him is more effective than signing another guy in free agency or even investing a draft pick in a guy who'll give you 10 snaps a game.

Tavon Austin will get an offer. The Cowboys like what they have in Austin, and featured him often at the start of the season. He'll get to show what he's got over the remainder of the season, and the addition of Amari Cooper might also have a positive impact on Austin. His injury history remains an issue, so the Cowboys will likely offer a contract at a discount. Will another team offer more?

Cameron Fleming should also get an offer. Fleming has carried himself well in his two starts at left tackle, and offers a moderately priced backup to Tyron Smith. Is that enough for Fleming, or will he look for a starting job elsewhere? My guess is the latter. Remember how Jonathan Cooper translated his 13 average games in Dallas (a 1-year, $2.0 million contract) in 2017 into a $5 million deal in San Francisco the following year?

No tender for Justin March-Lillard: March-Lillard is a restricted free agent (RFA), a player whose contract has expired and who has three accrued seasons of service, which means the Cowboys could tender him. Unfortunately, tendering him would require a contract worth about $2.0 million, and that's simply not happening. The Cowboys will look to bring him back for a contract close to the veteran minimum, and if they are outbid in free agency, so be it.

Daniel Ross stays: This is the easiest option on the entire list. Not because Ross is necessarily the next coming of Aaron Donald, but because Ross' status as an ERFA makes his future on the roster a slam dunk.

An ERFA has no more than two accrued seasons in the NFL and may only sign with his prior team, provided that the team extends a minimum qualifying offer to the player. So if the Cowboys want Ross, they can keep him for the veteran minimum for another year at least.

Too much detail? Here's the tl;dr version

2019 Free Agents
Coming Back in 2019 Will be allowed to hit free agency; may come back Not coming back
Starter DeMarcus Lawrence, Jamize Olawale, Tavon Austin Cole Beasley, Geoff Swaim
Backup Rod Smith Cameron Fleming Damien Wilson, David Irving
Depth Daniel Ross Justin March Caraun Reid, Datone Jones, Darian Thompson, Marcus Martin
Other L.P. Ladouceur
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/12/15/18078418/how-many-of-their-16-free-agents-will-cowboys-re-sign-in-2019
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Assassin
The three sacks Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott took in Sunday's loss at Indianapolis pushed his season total to 51. That's by far the most of his career, and pushed him past the 49 times former Dallas quarterback Drew Bledsoe was sacked in 2005. Cowboys great Don Meredith was sacked 58 times in 1964, according to the team's media guide.

Only Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson has been sacked more this season (52).
BearForce
Umm, I posted this about two days ago my friend...that said, good to see you back around the board.

The other thing I hope the team gets smart about is personnel utilization. The fullback being a major irritant for me as we are using a roster spot for just one formation, the I formation, that we are in maybe 7 to 10 times a game. If you really want that lead blocker, at least find an H-back type that you can dual utilize as at TE.

Also, and maybe Austin is the solution here, but we need a KR/PR who ideally is like your 3rd or 4th WR like Switzer would have been or if you permit me to go a little old school, Kelvin Martin was.
Assassin
Cowboys trainer Jim Maurer tells me Su'a-Filo eye will be fine after swelling - all a result of teammate La'el Collins THUMB digging deep into Su'a-Filo's eye socket. Horrid.
Assassin
2018 #Cowboys penalties:

40% of their defensive penalties have come on third down (13/32)
32% of their offensive penalties occur when they are 6 yards or less from the line to gain (15/47) and 8 of those are holding penalties
Wichitabear
Ok then. Wow.
Wichitabear
Ouch. Feel the pain
BearForce
Your Cowboy Pro Bowlers

Ezekiel Elliott, second career selection
Tyron Smith, sixth career selection
Zack Martin, fifth career selection
DeMarcus Lawrence, second career selection
Byron Jones, first career selection
Assassin
with the loss to the Colts, the Cowboys odds to make the playoffs have dropped to 97%...
BearForce
I really like this idea...we need help in the return game in the worse way. Anything he can add at WR would be icing...

https://insidethestar.com/should-cowboys-claim-wr-pharoh-cooper-off-waivers/
Assassin
still hasnt been picked up from what I can tell - and on rookie contract. Would guess there is more to his injuries than we know
BearForce
Assassin said:

still hasnt been picked up from what I can tell - and on rookie contract. Would guess there is more to his injuries than we know

He played in the Philadelphia game...hmm
BearForce
Musings on forgotten TWill
Inside The Star: No IR Return For WR Terrance Williams, Is His Career Over in Dallas?.
https://insidethestar.com/no-ir-return-for-wr-terrance-williams-is-his-career-over-in-dallas/
BearForce
Good salary cap write up

Sean Lee and Liel Collins may need a realtor...Hurns absolutely will

Cowboys Wire: Cowboys' top 10 projected 2019 cap hits include 3 potential releases.
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/19/dallas-cowboys-2019-salary-cap-top-10-salaries-potential-releases/
Assassin
I dont get it, they release him and sign CJ Anderson?
Assassin
BearForce said:

Inside The Star: No IR Return For WR Terrance Williams, Is His Career Over in Dallas?.
https://insidethestar.com/no-ir-return-for-wr-terrance-williams-is-his-career-over-in-dallas/
its been over for a while
Wichitabear
Not sure how I feel about TW. I really wish he could just come back and blow us all way with ability. It is my wish for him to succeed but maybe it is just not in the cards with us.
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

its been over for a while

Agree...
Wichitabear
Well that was sure easy for y'all to agree so fast! He is our Baylor Bear!! Lolol I just don't want to give up on him.
Wichitabear
I'm off to watch the UIL games with that. Gotta yell for any panhandle schools left.
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

Well that was sure easy for y'all to agree so fast! He is our Baylor Bear!! Lolol I just don't want to give up on him.

Obvious is obvious obviously
Wichitabear
Cute real cute.
Assassin
great chance to make a bunch of money... put $330,000.00 in Vegas on the Cowboys to make the playoffs and you will make a sweet $10k
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

Cute real cute.
Obviously
GoldMind
Assassin said:

great chance to make a bunch of money... put $330,000.00 in Vegas on the Cowboys to make the playoffs and you will make a sweet $10k

Easiest 10 grand I've ever made
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
First Page Last Page
Page 258 of 845

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.