Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,051,513 Views | 29499 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Assassin
baylorrific
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think that Bob Sturm is one of the insightful, intelligent and hard-working people in sports media.
Machiavelli
baylorrific said:

I think that Bob Sturm is one of the insightful,intelligent and hard-working people in sports media.
I agree.
BearForce

From BtB.com: The last 19 WRs

Last 19 wide receivers drafted in the first round
Assassin
baylorrific said:

I think that Bob Sturm is one of the insightful, intelligent and hard-working people in sports media.
Glad you have an opinion. We simply see and hear things differently
On Facebook at "Memories of...":
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Assassin
Bryan Broaddus, DallasCowboys.com writer and former NFL personnel man, joined the [url=https://omny.fm/shows/shan-and-rj/broaddus-21]Shan & RJ show on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM][/url] recently to talk about the Dallas Cowboys' 2019 draft. Here are some of the highlights:

How he feels about Cowboys' 2019 draft picks?

Broaddus: "I think this draft class is gonna hinge on the middle of this draft. Mike Jackson, Joe Jackson and Donovan Wilson picks. There are three defensive guys right there. We kind of talked about (the Cowboys) are a top heavy capped team. A lot of their money is spent on offensive players. So you got to figure on defense, you got to get some cheaper players that can help them on defense.

"I do like the pick of (Trysten) Hill and (Connor) McGovern...They took the best available player in that third round when they drafted McGovern. They just took the best player on their board. They had a second-round grade on that guy and you're sitting there at 90 and you're looking at your board and you're saying, 'we got to take this guys, don't we?' Does it kind of fit into a potential plan in 2020, absolutely. But it does give you a better option, too, as a backup player.

"I think this draft is really going to hinge in the middle of this draft because when they took Mike Weber at the end, Mike Weber's got a third or fourth round grade on their board.

They added 15 players to their roster through the draft and undrafted free agents that had draftable grades on their board. It's hugely uncommon. They are really, really right or this is going to be a disaster. The track record will tell you that they are going to be right here."

On Cowboys selection of Trysten Hill in the second round

Broaddus: "They did their homework on (Trysten) Hill. They really did their homework on Hill...There were some questions about Hill. (UCF) wasn't really forthright with a lot of information, but give the Cowboys a lot of credit. The scouts, coach (Rod) Marinelli he had to bite between his teeth and they pulled this one off and got the guy they wanted."

On Cowboys drafting running backs Tony Pollard and Mike Weber

Broaddus: "This is the one where Kellen Moore and Gary Brown, etc. they did a lot of leg work on Tony Pollard and they felt like that was the necessary one for them. I felt like they were going to draft a running back. The pick of Mike Weber at the end is just too good to happen. You're talking about third or fourth round grades on a guy and you're sitting there at the seventh round and you're looking for traits. You are just praying that somebody is up there that's got a shot. And if you have a third or fourth round grade on a guys, that's just a no-brainer right there."
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Assassin
Dallas Cowboys great Michael Irvin said Monday he initially wasn't sure what to think about the promotion of former backup quarterback Kellen Moore to offensive coordinator ahead of the 2019 season. But he's getting on board.

Who convinced Irvin? None other than Pro Bowl running back Ezekiel Elliott, who he recently spent time with at a charity event hosted by Emmitt Smith, a fellow Cowboys legend and Hall of Famer.

Irvin discussed the topic and more on Monday with Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. Irvin interviewed his former boss while guest hosting The Rich Eisen Show (which airs daily on AT&T AUDIENCE Network).

"I scratched my head when it went down," Irvin told Jones of Moore's dramatic rise to replace Scott Linehan.

"After speaking this weekend with Ezekiel Elliott, I kind of did a... 180 on it. ... Zeke said, 'Michael, this kid is smart.' He said he's smart and I think the most important thing...he said he'll listen to us. What we see on the field, he'll listen and incorporate it in the game plan."
Assassin
BearForce
The Landry Hat: Dallas Cowboys: 5 veterans who could be released in 2019.
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/05/10/dallas-cowboys-5-released-2019/

Rico to OT? That might be a stretch.
Assassin
BearForce said:

I could see it, a bit like Mark Tuinei. His first two years were spent at DE and DT then moved to OL to backup C. By his second year on OL he was starting LT
Assassin
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

I could see it, a bit like Mark Tuinei. His first two years were spent at DE and DT then moved to OL to backup C. By his second year on OL he was starting LT
Could he do it, sure, but how much more time do the Cowboys invest in him...if this were even on the table, they should have been thinking about it last year.
Assassin
Here's what Pro Football Focus had to say about Eric Berry:

"The Cowboys have been rumored to be in the mix for a number of safeties throughout the offseason, and they eventually brought in George Iloka to compete for a roster spot. Berry would be an immediate upgrade at the position, and he would provide an influx of veteran leadership among a defensive back unit filled with youthful playmakers."
BearForce
Assassin said:

Here's what Pro Football Focus had to say about Eric Berry:

"The Cowboys have been rumored to be in the mix for a number of safeties throughout the offseason, and they eventually brought in George Iloka to compete for a roster spot. Berry would be an immediate upgrade at the position, and he would provide an influx of veteran leadership among a defensive back unit filled with youthful playmakers."
Well I think we will find out pretty quickly as now he can be signed without impacting 2021 compensatory picks, but I think the medical is likely a no-go and or the numbers he wants.
Assassin
Assassin
projected way too early roster: https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2019/05/09/way-early-cowboys-53-man-roster-projection-many-wrs-could-dallas-keep-gets-left-deep-d-line?f=r
BearForce
Blogging The Boys: Taco Charlton posts photo on Twitter of leg in medical boot: "Another minor setback".
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/5/15/18623969/taco-charlton-posts-photo-on-twitter-of-leg-in-medical-boot-another-minor-setback

I'd offer is it really a setback if you dont play when healthy?
BearForce
As we are getting closer to training camp, I thought I would offer this article on the Chris Peterson offense by Study Hall given Kellen Moore's time in it at Boise State. I think these concepts can fit with the Air Coryell offense we run, and think about Tony Pollard as you read about Myles Gaskin in the article.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2016/11/3/13486704/how-does-the-washington-husky-offense-work-chris-peterson-browning-gaskin
BearForce
247Sports: Kellen Moore using 'versatility' to revamp Cowboys scheme.
https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Article/Kellen-Moore-revamp-Cowboys-offensive-scheme-132035459/
Assassin
Cowboys working on a new deal for Jaylon Smith. Makes sense,
Smith sat out his rookie season on the non-football injury list, so his first season in the NFL was not an accrued season. That makes him only a restricted free agent after 2019. Dallas can, in theory, simply allow him to play this year while making his $2 million (that's base plus prorated bonus) and then, next spring, tender him a "qualifying offer" to maintain control. Smith could still negotiate with any other team, but if he receives an offer sheet from a new team, Dallas can simply match the offer and retain the player. If they Cowboys don't match, they get draft-pick compensation. (A first-round tender earns the Cowboys a first-round pick). In all likelihood, Dallas would put a first-round tender on Smith, keep him, and pay him about $5 million in 2020.
Or ... the two parties can continue to negotiate now, with a goal of what I (and colleague Joey Ickes) would view as reasonable: Twice that $5 million number annually, about $10 million APY. How to structure such a thing? These are not the Cowboys' numbers, nor are they Jaylon's; this is just us theorizing. But here goes

Smith's talents certainly merit that level of payment illustrated in at least the middle of that chart of inside linebackers' salaries. Would the Cowboys go to the Mosley level or the Keuchly level? Let's assume not. North of Demario Davis? On a par with Eric Kendricks? Makes sense to me. So -- and again, this is Joey and myself speculating -- five years for $52.5 mil to $55 mil with $32 million total guaranteed and $20 million fully guaranteed? Not only would that deal look like a bargain two years from now ... heck, it looks fair now (to our eyes)
Assassin
Assassin
Sources tell the Star-Telegram that Charlton had minor arthroscopic surgery on his ankle. He will miss OTAs and minicamp but should be ready to go for training camp in July.

It's the second off-season surgery for Charlton, who had shoulder surgery shortly after the season.

Unlike Lawrence and Jones, who both are proven starters with defined roles and Pro Bowls on their resume, Charlton's spot on the roster could be adversely affected by missing any time at all.

Vice president Stephen Jones has already made it clear that this is a big year for Charlton, who has only four career sacks since the team made him a first-round choice in 2017.

"Taco obviously hasn't made his way into the starting lineup yet," Jones said before the draft on 105.3 The Fan. "He had a [shoulder] injury last year, which set him back. He didn't necessarily come back as strong as he did before he got hurt. So this is a big year for Taco to step up. We certainly need him with our defensive front."

Charlton played in 11 games with seven starts in 2018 but he appeared in only three of the last eight regular-season games, as he fell out of favor with defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

The Cowboys have made significant additions at defensive end since the end of the season. They traded for veteran Robert Quinn and took two DEs in the 2019 NFL Draft - Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks - to go along with holdovers in Lawrence, Tyrone Crawford and Dorance Armstrong.

There is also still a chance that Randy Gregory returns from suspension before the season.

So Charlton needs to return from this surgery ready to play the best football of his career or he could possibly face being a cut-down casualty or trade bait. The Cowboys are not going to hold the train for him, according to scouting director Will McClay.

"I'm expecting Taco to strap on his pads, put on his helmet and go out there and compete every day to prove that he belongs on this roster," McClay recently said of Charlton on 103.3FM ESPN. "The injury and all those things, he's going to have to overcome that and be available. I expect Taco to put his best foot forward and battle and compete for a spot, but you know what? We're not going to hold the train for anybody.
"If you want to compete and roll with us, here it is. Everybody is going to have that opportunity. I expect Taco to be a much better player and a much more productive player. He was turning the corner last year. Injuries happen, and all that other stuff. I expect him to go and battle and compete. If him or anybody else isn't willing to compete, hopefully, we have enough stuff there to keep us strong throughout the process."
Assassin
BearForce
Assassin said:

Sources tell the Star-Telegram that Charlton had minor arthroscopic surgery on his ankle. He will miss OTAs and minicamp but should be ready to go for training camp in July.

It's the second off-season surgery for Charlton, who had shoulder surgery shortly after the season.

Unlike Lawrence and Jones, who both are proven starters with defined roles and Pro Bowls on their resume, Charlton's spot on the roster could be adversely affected by missing any time at all.

Vice president Stephen Jones has already made it clear that this is a big year for Charlton, who has only four career sacks since the team made him a first-round choice in 2017.

"Taco obviously hasn't made his way into the starting lineup yet," Jones said before the draft on 105.3 The Fan. "He had a [shoulder] injury last year, which set him back. He didn't necessarily come back as strong as he did before he got hurt. So this is a big year for Taco to step up. We certainly need him with our defensive front."

Charlton played in 11 games with seven starts in 2018 but he appeared in only three of the last eight regular-season games, as he fell out of favor with defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

The Cowboys have made significant additions at defensive end since the end of the season. They traded for veteran Robert Quinn and took two DEs in the 2019 NFL Draft - Joe Jackson and Jalen Jelks - to go along with holdovers in Lawrence, Tyrone Crawford and Dorance Armstrong.

There is also still a chance that Randy Gregory returns from suspension before the season.

So Charlton needs to return from this surgery ready to play the best football of his career or he could possibly face being a cut-down casualty or trade bait. The Cowboys are not going to hold the train for him, according to scouting director Will McClay.

"I'm expecting Taco to strap on his pads, put on his helmet and go out there and compete every day to prove that he belongs on this roster," McClay recently said of Charlton on 103.3FM ESPN. "The injury and all those things, he's going to have to overcome that and be available. I expect Taco to put his best foot forward and battle and compete for a spot, but you know what? We're not going to hold the train for anybody.
"If you want to compete and roll with us, here it is. Everybody is going to have that opportunity. I expect Taco to be a much better player and a much more productive player. He was turning the corner last year. Injuries happen, and all that other stuff. I expect him to go and battle and compete. If him or anybody else isn't willing to compete, hopefully, we have enough stuff there to keep us strong throughout the process."
I expect far less...
BearForce
BearForce

BearForce
Even with out the green tinted glasses, I'm for this:

Inside The Star: Kicker Matt Bryant Should Be the Final Piece of Cowboys 2019 Offseason.
https://insidethestar.com/kicker-matt-bryant-should-be-the-final-piece-of-cowboys-2019-offseason/
BearForce
Approve!

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/5/19/18630735/how-the-cowboys-can-give-jaylon-smith-luke-kuechly-type-money-and-still-get-a-great-bargain
Assassin
Okay, Zeke is dumb as a rock. I concede.

When you keep putting yourself in these positions and cost YOURSELF millions of dollars, much less cost the Cowboys a player for whatever the suspension is, you are as dumb as a rock - no matter how smart your IQ is. He's every bit the redneck here
https://www.tmz.com/2019/05/20/ezekiel-elliott-handcuffed-edc-vegas-video/
Assassin
Gerald McCoy booted by Bucs. I think Hill is our 3 tech. Not sure that signing McCoy might hold him back a pinch.
Wichitabear
Wow. He certainly wasn't using his best judgment here. Pure stupid.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Wichitabear said:

Wow. He certainly wasn't using his best judgment here. Pure stupid.
LeBron James is saying, "C'MONNNN MANNNNNN!!!!!!!"
Wichitabear
Yeah lolol
BearForce
Assassin said:

Okay, Zeke is dumb as a rock. I concede.

When you keep putting yourself in these positions and cost YOURSELF millions of dollars, much less cost the Cowboys a player for whatever the suspension is, you are as dumb as a rock - no matter how smart your IQ is. He's every bit the redneck here
https://www.tmz.com/2019/05/20/ezekiel-elliott-handcuffed-edc-vegas-video/
Very immature I would say for sure...and he is making it hard to trust him long term.
BearForce
Interesting take on Wentz vs Goff vs Dak on who is the better money play...
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dak-prescott-carson-wentz-or-jared-goff-heres-which-qb-from-2016-class-most-deserves-a-new-deal/?ftag=SNL-04-10aaa0c
Wichitabear
Exactly. I'm disappointed in him.
First Page Last Page
Page 303 of 843

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.