Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,051,701 Views | 29499 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Assassin
S11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

So, what are our biggest holes? I thought S was one but Cowboys seem to like the folks they have now. The same for TE.

Also apparently we will not be seeing much of the 12 or 13 lineups. Moore likes for everyone to line up the same way every time and let the play do the talking. Also, the WRs will be lining up closer to the formation, which could convince a LB to follow them or at least turn them, ala a Slot This tells me that we may only be keeping 3 TEs

Disagree on the 12 personnel comments if Moore is true to Peterson's offense...its built off 12 personnel. I also think we may see more of our FB but not necessarily in the I formation.

Peterson changed a lot dependent on what he had in a given year. 11 personnel was heavily used in 2006 but later teams used 12 more. What changed? The second TE's ability relative to the third wideout was wildly different. I wouldn't be too focused on Boise's specific groupings as Moore won't force certain personnel.
BearForce
S11 said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

So, what are our biggest holes? I thought S was one but Cowboys seem to like the folks they have now. The same for TE.

Also apparently we will not be seeing much of the 12 or 13 lineups. Moore likes for everyone to line up the same way every time and let the play do the talking. Also, the WRs will be lining up closer to the formation, which could convince a LB to follow them or at least turn them, ala a Slot This tells me that we may only be keeping 3 TEs

Disagree on the 12 personnel comments if Moore is true to Peterson's offense...its built off 12 personnel. I also think we may see more of our FB but not necessarily in the I formation.

Peterson changed a lot dependent on what he had in a given year. 11 personnel was heavily used in 2006 but later teams used 12 more. What changed? The second TE's ability relative to the third wideout was wildly different. I wouldn't be too focused on Boise's specific groupings as Moore won't force certain personnel.

Fair point but I dont see us in less 12 personnel then we are now...I can some more 21 personnel with 11 personnel being the norm.
Assassin
I think Moores point was that he would lineup in normal 11 position and possibly reset before or even as the play starts (quick movement to get back to another slot) therby robbing the D of bringing different folks to counter the play. One thing mentioned was to bring in Jarwin or another TE at FB. Then keep him on the field but in a 12 and run a quick play. Thus the D would either have to take a timeout to counter (as we didn't change personnel) or go with the folks on the field
On Facebook at "Memories of...":
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Assassin
Unlike the starting position, the Cowboys have some uncertainties about the No. 2 spot. Cooper Rush has been Dak's backup for two years but might have some strong competition this year from Mike White, who spent all of last year on the roster but didn't get any snaps.

"I watched every snap he had in the preseason," Kitna said of White. "The same with Coop the last couple of years. That's just what we look at. For me, it's more of a clean slate. I just want to come in and help those guys and help them progress in their careers. If you get the best out of them, that's going to be good for us at an organization."

Kitna reiterated several times that figuring out the backup quarterback at this point is very premature.

"Right now, we're just trying to be as good as we can be. We'll figure out depth chart stuff later," Kitna said. "Right now, they're out here competing and be the best quarterback they can be. We don't them thinking about end results. We want them to think about he process and going with the right place with the football. Just progress every day. Honestly, in my mind, I'm not looking at who the backup is right now. Just how I can get them better and help them in their journey as quarterbacks in the NFL."
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Assassin
BTW - wonder how secure Cooper Rush is feeling since he took the new OC's job away a couple of years ago...
Assassin
Free agent DT Gerald McCoy said, "I want to win. I'm not worried about where I'm living. Wherever I got to go to win."
This is a pretty standard quote from a free agent, but this would limit some teams if he's trying to win a Super Bowl while he's in his early 30s. Multiple teams have expressed interest in McCoy including the Bengals, Ravens, Panthers, Browns, Colts, Saints, and Patriots. McCoy signing a one-year deal with a championship contender wouldn't be too surprising, but everything is still on the table at this point.
SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter
May 26, 2019, 2:29 PM ET
Assassin
According to Charean Williams of ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports, Allen Hurns (ankle, leg) is expected to return "at some point" during training camp.
Hurns dislocated his left ankle and also suffered a broken leg in January's Wild Card win over Seattle. Coach Jason Garrett said the wide receiver is "doing great," though he won't be on the field until training camp. When healthy, the 27-year-old will be no better than fourth on Dallas' receiving depth chart behind projected starters Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and Randall Cobb.
SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports
May 26, 2019, 9:12 AM ET
Assassin

Smith had 250 snaps in the 4Q/OT of one-score games, 86 of those were run-blocking snaps and the remaining 164 were in pass protection.

He had an 86.0 pass-blocking grade (6th) and an 80.0 run-blocking grade (1st) on those snaps, factoring into the overall grade.
Wichitabear
Who would of thunk it
Assassin
JonVea Johnson is turning heads at rookie mini camp. He posted a 35-inch vertical and a 4.38 time in the 40-yard dash at that Pro Day workout. He averaged 21 yards per catch during his senior year at Toledo, which no doubt prompts speculation that he can be a big-play threat.

"I went to the Pro Day, and out of all those Toledo receivers, his Pro Day was off the charts how athletic he was, how fast," Sanjay Lal
Assassin
At the end of the day, if this is all people ever said about me, I would be a happy man;

Quote:

'Kitna has an amazing way with people.' Cowboys' new QB coach making an impression Calvin Watkins, The Athletic
Jon Kitna has never coached in the NFL but everyone seems certain he'll succeed.
Quote:

Jon Kitna has always brought people together.

Kitna first endeared himself to Dak Prescott just after Prescott arrived in the NFL in 2016. Kitna was asked to speak to the team's rookies. He told them about told his faith in God, playing 14 years in the NFL and treating people with respect and kindness.

Roy Williams met Kitna a decade earlier in 2006 as a Detroit Lions wide receiver. Kitna, according to Williams, talked to everyone. Regardless of your religion, the color of your skin, rich, poor, middle class; he connected.

"He's a likable guy," Williams said. "He's got a little Hershey syrup in him, little chocolate flavor in him a little bit. He can relate to the brothers. Kitna is the only guy that relates to everyone in the locker room, and everybody likes him. When I was in Detroit, Kitna was playing spades, we had spades partners, he was always talking to everybody."

Jason Garrett knew of Kitna from his own time as a backup quarterback in the NFL. He got to know Kitna better in 2010, when Garrett was the Cowboys' offensive coordinator. He was impressed by Kitna's attention to detail and how Kitna understood the intricacies of every position on the field. When Kitna took over for an injured Tony Romo in the 2010 season, the locker room wasn't concerned. There was a feeling that Kitna could help the Cowboys survive without their starting quarterback. It proved to be correct: Kitna went 4-5 during Romo's absence. He didn't just do it with his mind, though, but through how he held the locker room together.

"Kitna has an amazing way with people," Garrett said. "He's able to connect with lots of different kind of people, young and old, offense (and) defense. He just had that way about him when he was playing. And I think that really served him well throughout his playing career."

Assassin
who is locked in on the roster. The 39 man roster: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/5/28/18642019/establishing-how-many-cowboys-roster-spots-are-totally-locked-in
Assassin
Dallas Cowboys

Can the Cowboys take the next step?
Only the Lions and Redskins have longer NFC Championship Game droughts than Dallas, which hasn't been to the game since its Super Bowl-winning season of 1995. The Cowboys believe their roster is the deepest it has been in a decade. They rebounded from a 3-5 start to make the playoffs last season and carry that confidence with them. History suggests things will be different this season. The Cowboys haven't made the postseason in back-to-back years since 2006-2007, and there hasn't been a repeat NFC East champ since the 2003-2004 Eagles. If the Cowboys don't progress, then coach Jason Garrett, who is in his contract year, likely will have to find another job in 2020. -- Todd Archer
Wichitabear
Yep. This needs to be a good year for Jason
Assassin
Q - will the Cowboys pu a FA?

Jon Machota: I do. But I don't think it will be Gerald McCoy or Eric Berry like so many Cowboys fans would prefer. My projection is more about adding a player or two when rosters have to be trimmed to 53 before the start of the regular season. Two positions to keep an eye on: running back and safety. If the Cowboys don't feel good about their traditional backup RB spot with rookie Mike Weber, late August could be a good time to add a veteran to play behind Elliott. I predict Dallas will keep three running backs and a fullback. Safety was the biggest need entering the offseason. Perhaps a veteran they like becomes available during roster cuts. A wild card long shot: quarterback. I'm obviously not talking about competition for Dak Prescott. But what if the training camp/preseason battle between Cooper Rush and Mike White doesn't go as the coaching staff expects? Can you really go into a season, looking to take the next step, if you have no confidence in your backup quarterback? Prescott has been extremely durable during his previous three seasons, never missing a start. But he does take his share of hits. They need someone behind him that they at least feel comfortable about executing the offense if Prescott is unavailable. White or Rush will likely be that player, but you can't completely rule out quarterback at this point.
Assassin
Assassin
Assassin said:

BTW - this is Gary's kid.

And he knows Will McClay as they are both Rice Alumni and both played football there (at different times of course).
Assassin
There is something noticeably different about Cowboys QB Dak Prescott this off-season - Clarence Hill, Star-Telegram
Can the Cowboys franchise quarterback make a big leap in year four?
Quote:

Heading into his fourth year, it is his place, his team, and his locker room more than ever.

And it has little to do with the fact that he and the Cowboys are in deep negotiations on a long-term contract extension that will pay him at least $30 million annually.

That's simply a byproduct of the work, growth, leadership, and production that Prescott has put over the last three years since joining the team as a throw-in fourth-round pick in 2016 that has him feeling comfortable, relaxed and more emboldened than ever.

It is showing on the field as Prescott has been sharp, decisive and accurate during OTA practices, which he credits to a light coming on during last season's run to the playoffs that has continued to shine in the offseason, almost like a Rubik's cube opening up for him.
BearForce
Leadership...Dak has!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/01/dak-prescott-becoming-more-stern-as-a-leader/
BearForce
Time for pink taco to become big bad blue taco!
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/6/2/18649114/taco-charlton-named-among-10-nfl-players-that-need-to-break-out-in-2019
BearForce
Some more blue koolaid on K. Moore's offensive approach: http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams-nfl/nfc-east/dallas-cowboys/2019/05/30/kellen-moores-simplified-confusion-formations-motion-and-numbers/

Credit to BtB.com
BearForce
Another early roster projection:

The Landry Hat: Dallas Cowboys final roster cuts may shock fans.
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/06/02/dallas-cowboys-roster-cuts-shock/

Edit: disregard the emoji
Assassin
BearForce said:

not sure they keep both Austin when they took Pollard who is a very similar player
BearForce
Good discussion on personnel groupings:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/6/3/18650778/a-diverse-set-of-personnel-groupings-would-be-a-drastic-change-for-this-offense-kellen-moore
Assassin
I was thinking Rico was the man out for 2019. Not sure the Cowboys or the folks that cover Dallas are seeing it the same way https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/rico-gathers-looking-to-think-less-play-more
BearForce
Assassin said:

I was thinking Rico was the man out for 2019. Not sure the Cowboys or the folks that cover Dallas are seeing it the same way https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/rico-gathers-looking-to-think-less-play-more

He needs to have a huge training camp...I just cant see them keeping 4 TEs if they want to keep all the DL and OL they have.
BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

not sure they keep both Austin when they took Pollard who is a very similar player
I think both make it because they technically play different positions but also can return kicks too. I am still not convinced Alan Hurns makes the team though.
Assassin
Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 04:12 P

Notes: 'Most Improved' WR; D-Law Update
by Rob Phillips & David Helman

FRISCO, Texas In the thick of a crowded, talented young wide receiver group, here's another name to watch as the offseason moves toward training camp:
Reggie Davis, the first-year pro out of Georgia.
Davis, who spent part of last season on the Cowboys' practice squad, repeatedly got behind the defense during Wednesday's OTA practice.
The speedy wideout hauled in multiple catches in team drills, including a beautiful back-shoulder touchdown throw from quarterback Dak Prescott during two-minute work.
The Cowboys are Davis' fourth NFL team since he went undrafted in 2017. He's been to camp with the Falcons. He spent a few days on the Browns' roster. He's been on the Eagles' practice squad.

Now he's got a new opportunity in Dallas.
"He was probably our most improved (receiver)," said Sanjay Lal, Davis' position coach. "If we go back to when we got him last October/November, he's probably the most improved guy on the team. He made a big jump this week."
The Cowboys' 90-man roster features several young receivers with a similar best trait: speed. Undrafted rookies Jon'Vea Johnson and Jalen Guyton have shown the ability to separate from defenders.
Lal says the 5-11, 170-pound Davis is learning to harness his speed to help him finish plays. Time on the practice squad last year and experience with the Cowboys' system has allowed him to play faster.
"It's everything being able to set up DBs, learning how to get in and out of breaks on certain routes, knowing how to tempo routes, change of pace," Davis said. "Sometimes you've got to slow things down in order to play faster."

He'll try to keep the pedal down into July and August.
-Rob Phillips

Tank Update
He hasn't been seen on the field, but DeMarcus Lawrence is making himself heard, to hear it from Rod Marinelli. The Cowboys' defensive coordinator said Lawrence has been a steady presence during the offseason program while he rehabs his surgically-repaired shoulder.
"He's in our meetings and all those things. We spend every morning together," Marinelli said. "He's doing good, his mindset is good. He's got to be locked in, he's got to be ready to go, and he is locked in. I can't wait to get him back."

Lawrence underwent surgery on his shoulder immediately after signing his contract extension back in April. But Marinelli said the Cowboys haven't missed his leadership qualities in the defensive line room, even if Lawrence isn't able to practice.
"He's a little surly with them and ornery and outspoken," Marinelli said. "But he's set a bar. He's got a bar set, and he's just got to get everybody to reach his bar."
-David Helman

Vander Esch Improving; Gallup Exits
For the first time in three OTA practices open to the media this spring, Leighton Vander Esch took part in some early drills.

Vander Esch did not participate in team drills, but the Pro Bowl linebacker's on-field activity is a sign of progress after he sat out previous OTAs with a pelvic issue.
Elsewhere on the roster, second-year receiver Michael Gallup did not finish practice as a precaution due to some hamstring tightness.
-Rob Phillips

Armstrong Capitalizing
With veterans like Lawrence and Tyrone Crawford sitting out, there has been plenty of opportunity for other defensive linemen on the depth chart. One of the obvious beneficiaries of the added practice time is Dorance Armstrong, who has been working as the defense's starting left end this month.

Marinelli said he has seen a noticeable improvement from Armstrong from Year 1 to Year 2.
"He's climbing right now. You've probably seen him a little bit, but his speed is coming," he said. "I just think once you're in the second year in that system, it really starts kicking in. He's got a really good long arm, working that as a pass rush move. He's really showing up in this camp."
As always, it's worth pointing out that it's hard to do a true evaluation until the pads go on during training camp. But it sounds like the start of an encouraging second year for Armstrong.
-David Helman

Pollard's Versatility

Rookie running back Tony Pollard has drawn plenty of attention for his speed during these OTAs but he's got more to his game than that. Running backs coach Gary Brown was asked about the newcomer on Wednesday, and he said Pollard has a little more to his skillset than people might realize.
"I think Pollard gets a bad rap that, when he was at Memphis he wasn't the guy and he wasn't that downhill banger," Brown said. "But he has a lot of skillsets that a lot of backs don't have, as far as his receiving skills and his ability to run routes. And he can run the ball inside. He's a little bit bigger than people thought he was."
-David Helman
BearForce
Rico's last, best chance?
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/6/7/18652737/could-rico-gathers-finally-break-out-in-kellen-moores-offense-jason-witten-blake-jarwin
BearForce
From Wentz Dak gets paid?

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/6/7/18655892/the-eagles-extend-carson-wentz-but-what-does-it-mean-for-dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys
BearForce
Hopefully our flying is more satisfying than United

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/6/7/18655062/flying-united-the-offensive-makeover-for-the-dallas-cowboys-is-about-more-than-the-oc-kellen-moore
Assassin
Daryl Johnston hopes to one day have an NFL front office opportunity, 'but right now, job No. 1 is to get an XFL championship for Bob Stoops'
By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machotaon Twitter:@jonmachota

ARLINGTON -- Daryl "Moose" Johnston would like to one day work in an NFL front office. The former Cowboys Pro Bowl fullback and three-time Super Bowl champion was named director of player personnel of Dallas' XFL franchise last month.

Johnston was general manager of the San Antonio Commanders before the Alliance of American Football league ceased operations earlier this year.

Dallas XFL general manager and head coach Bob Stoops said he is looking to lean on Johnston as an assistant general manager.

"I like to be on the field coaching," Stoops said. "I'll pass off a lot of GM duties to him. He's already doing a great job with us."

After spending 11 seasons as one of the NFL's top fullbacks, Johnston moved on to have a lengthy NFL broadcasting career.

Now he's learning the ropes of working in a front office and being a talent evaluator. Johnston said one of the adjustments he's had to make is the vocabulary he uses to sell a player to the coaching staff. Scouts use a different language than players and coaches.

He credits Cowboys vice president of player personnel Will McClay and director of pro scouting Alex Loomis with helping him improve in that area.

While most focus on the players participating in the XFL and how the new league could improve their chances of getting on an NFL roster, Johnston says the league provides similar opportunities for front office staff members like himself.

"If that opportunity ever presented itself, it would have to be a good situation," Johnston said. "Hopefully I have to make that decision down the road. But right now, job No. 1 is to get a championsh
Assassin
BearForce said:

Rico's last, best chance?
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2019/6/7/18652737/could-rico-gathers-finally-break-out-in-kellen-moores-offense-jason-witten-blake-jarwin

Kellen's last TD pass? Could there be a little extra love there?
HunterBear
Is TWill officially off the team now? Has he been released?
Assassin
HunterBear said:

Is TWill officially off the team now? Has he been released?
Cowboys didnt pick up his option, as expected. He became a FA March 16.

Something went wrong in the kid's head, thats for sure. Leaving the scene of an accident, drunk falling off a bike, etc. He was already walking a fine line as he was a body catcher, which limits the catching radius a QB can throw to
First Page Last Page
Page 305 of 843

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.