Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,075,838 Views | 29541 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by BearForce
BearForce
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Assassin said:

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the Dak contract negotiations. His new agents are horses arses.

Maybe, then again it wasnt them that got us into this deadline scenario...that was the Joneses like they do almost every other contract situation. They decided to let Dak go through last year with a lame duck contract before and after the Wentz and Goff deals.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

I'm getting pretty frustrated with the Dak contract negotiations. His new agents are horses arses.

Maybe, then again it wasnt them that got us into this deadline scenario...that was the Joneses like they do almost every other contract situation. They decided to let Dak go through last year with a lame duck contract before and after the Wentz and Goff deals.

They made offer after offer. When Dak switched to Todd France, that's when it went to hell in handbasket

Assassin

BearForce
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

They made offer after offer. When Dak switched to Todd France, that's when it went to hell in handbasket

My understanding is the switch occurred because Dak's original agent left the agency Dak was with and Dak is tied to the agency, not the agent. That said, my understanding is this whole thing is about the length of the contract and the Cowboys originally wanted a 7 year contract and Dak a 4 year. Now the Cowboys have come down to 5 years which from that perspective I can understand where you are coming from but I can also understand Dak's perspective of wanting to go back to the market sooner with a 4 year contract considering he played for 4 years under a $400K contract where his peers were paid a lot more than that. Frankly, I don't see how the Cowboys are really harmed by just accepting 4 years at $35M...if he isn't the guy it gets you out of the relationship quicker and if he is the guy then you won't have a problem giving him one more contract in 4 years.

As to making offer after offer, the didn't make an offer during the season at all...once training camp broke the did nothing and frankly prioritized Zeke whose contract wasn't even expiring yet.
BaylorRocks
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

BearForce said:

Assassin said:

My understanding is the switch occurred because Dak's original agent left the agency Dak was with and Dak is tied to the agency, not the agent. That said, my understanding is this whole thing is about the length of the contract and the Cowboys originally wanted a 7 year contract and Dak a 4 year. Now the Cowboys have come down to 5 years which from that perspective I can understand where you are coming from but I can also understand Dak's perspective of wanting to go back to the market sooner with a 4 year contract considering he played for 4 years under a $400K contract where his peers were paid a lot more than that. Frankly, I don't see how the Cowboys are really harmed by just accepting 4 years at $35M...if he isn't the guy it gets you out of the relationship quicker and if he is the guy then you won't have a problem giving him one more contract in 4 years.

As to making offer after offer, the didn't make an offer during the season at all...once training camp broke the did nothing and frankly prioritized Zeke whose contract wasn't even expiring yet.
Dak demanding to become the highest paid QB in the NFL at $35M per year? More than Russell Wilson, more than Drew Brees, more than Aaron Rodgers, more than Brady??? Dude is in fantasy land. C'mon, not even Cowboy fans can be that crazy........
Assassin
Offensive guard Connor Williams says he is ahead of schedule on his recovery from a torn ACL suffered on Thanksgiving Day. The second-round draft pick from 2018 credits recently-retired Travis Frederick with helping him transition from tackle to guard after going pro.
Assassin
used PFN for this mock:

Javon Kinlaw
DT South Carolina

Jaylon Johnson
CB Utah

Jacob Eason
QB Washington

Brandon Jones
S Texas

James Proche
WR SMU

Nick Harris
C Washington

James Smith-Williams
DE NC State
Timbear
I'd tell Dak, that in 2020, he'll be judged by how many teams with a winning record he beats. Wasn't it 1-6 last year?
BearForce
Timbear said:

I'd tell Dak, that in 2020, he'll be judged by how many teams with a winning record he beats. Wasn't it 1-6 last year?

He lost those games all by himself right? How about the 3 years prior?
Timbear
Unfortunately, that's the way NFL QB's are judged. What has Dak done lately.
GoldMind
Timbear said:

Unfortunately, that's the way NFL QB's are judged. What has Dak done lately.

Balled out.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
BearForce
I used The Draft Network

BearForce
Talk about going riverboat gambling...and I like it

Timbear
I like Dak. Honestly. I just don't think he deserves as much money, but really, who cares? Doesn't change our bills any.
BearForce
Timbear said:

I like Dak. Honestly. I just don't think he deserves as much money, but really, who cares? Doesn't change our bills any.
Yeah, bottom line is its a game between a billionaire and a to be millionaire which is way out of my league.
Wichitabear
BearForce said:

Talk about going riverboat gambling...and I like it

This guy looks like he could take your head off.
Wichitabear
Stephen A thinks this is trouble waiting to happen. Again! Lolol
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

Well he has had some off the field issues for sure but hopefully he has learned and feels an obligation to Jim Tomsula to make both of them look golden with this opportunity. It's a gamble for sure but the risk is low to me.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Wichitabear said:

Well he has had some off the field issues for sure but hopefully he has learned and feels an obligation to Jim Tomsula to make both of them look golden with this opportunity. It's a gamble for sure but the risk is low to me.
I agree. When he is on, he is a badass.
Assassin

Assassin
Smiths base contract is $900k, plus $40k? for each game he is active plus bonuses for sacks
BearForce
Jerry has a funny sense of humor...that said if he makes it to the 4th round maybe we should...

Wichitabear
BearForce said:

Jerry has a funny sense of humor...that said if he makes it to the 4th round maybe we should...

Interesting
BaylorRocks
Wichitabear said:

BearForce said:

Interesting
Yep, exactly what the Cowboys need......another Dak Prescott.

HaHa, the rest of the NFL send a "Thank you Jerry" !
Assassin
Been out with Pneumonia for a bit, thought I had it licked but it came back full force. Catching up a a bit.

Bucky Brooks scouting report. Great deal for us. If he doesnt make it through camp, its 'just' 900k. All the rest is tied to games and preformance

• Name: Aldon Smith
  • Position: EDGE
  • College: Missouri
  • Height: 6-5
  • Weight: 255
  • Season: 6th
  • Games Studied: 2015 (Raiders vs. Minnesota and Pittsburgh); 2012 (49ers vs Chicago)

Overview:
Smith is a long, rangy EDGE defender with natural pass rush ability. The sixth-year pro took the league by storm tallying 42.5 sacks in the first 43 games of his career, exhibiting an exceptional combination of strength, power and explosiveness off the edge. Smith was an unstoppable force as a pass rusher when given the freedom to hunt the quarterback on bull rushes or T-E stunts (defensive end and defensive tackle exchange gap responsibilities), particularly early in his career with the 49ers when he displayed outstanding chemistry with Justin Smith on a variety of games.

With the Raiders (2015), Smith didn't display the same power, explosiveness or burst that made him an All-Pro edge defender in his second season. The veteran defender continued to attack edge blockers with his long arms and active hands but couldn't overpower his opponents with his brute strength and didn't show the sequencing skills to win with an assortment of counters when he was stymied at the line. If Smith attempted to win with speed or finesse, blockers would sit on his moves and stalemate him before he work their edges. Although he previously utilized similar moves to win as a young player, he didn't have the same twitch or explosiveness that once made him a dynamic rusher off the edge. Smith's QB sacks (3) with the Raiders resulted from "free" runs (unobstructed) to the quarterback or blown blocking assignments at the point of attack.

As a run defender, Smith is a capable stack and shed defender on the edge. He effectively utilizes his length to control blockers at the point of attack and works to seal the edge by maintaining proper leverage. Smith plays with enough effort and energy to win more than his fair share of battles on the edge in the run game but he could ramp up the hustle on plays away. To be a key contributor on a defense that this stage of his career, he will need to transform into a high-motor player with greater emphasis on his skills as a run defender.

Strengths:
  • Power player with long arms and active hands
  • Flashes explosive strength and power as pass rusher
  • Productive and disruptive playmaker during his prime

Weaknesses:

• Lacks elite first step quickness and burst
  • Questionable stamina and endurance
  • Unrefined technician
  • Rust from an extended layoff

What are scouts saying?
When Smith was with Oakland, he was good but not elite. He has natural ability to play on the edge with his length and natural power. He wasn't as explosive and finishing burst to the quarterback had dropped off but he would flash on occasion. You wonder how good Smith could've been if he was able to stay focused on and off the field.

How does he fit in with the Cowboys?
Smith should be considered a wild card player for the Cowboys. The veteran defender hasn't suited up in a regular season game in four years and his game was in decline at that point. Although he might be in better shape from a mental and physical standpoint, it is hard to imagine a 30-year old shaking off the rust to re-emerge as a premier player at the position. That said, Smith could become a solid contributor as an EDGE defender and situational pass rusher for the Cowboys. He rejoins his old defensive line coach (Jim Tomsula) and is playing in a scheme that should put him in a position to make plays. If Smith can get into world-class shape and re-discover a few dependable pass rush moves, he could Mike Nolan a rotational power rusher in the bullpen.
On Facebook at Memories of...
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Wichitabear
Assassin said:

Been out with Pneumonia for a bit, thought I had it licked but it came back full force. Catching up a a bit.

Bucky Brooks scouting report. Great deal for us. If he doesnt make it through camp, its 'just' 900k. All the rest is tied to games and preformance

• Games Studied: 2015 (Raiders vs. Minnesota and Pittsburgh); 2012 (49ers vs Chicago)

Overview:
Smith is a long, rangy EDGE defender with natural pass rush ability. The sixth-year pro took the league by storm tallying 42.5 sacks in the first 43 games of his career, exhibiting an exceptional combination of strength, power and explosiveness off the edge. Smith was an unstoppable force as a pass rusher when given the freedom to hunt the quarterback on bull rushes or T-E stunts (defensive end and defensive tackle exchange gap responsibilities), particularly early in his career with the 49ers when he displayed outstanding chemistry with Justin Smith on a variety of games.

With the Raiders (2015), Smith didn't display the same power, explosiveness or burst that made him an All-Pro edge defender in his second season. The veteran defender continued to attack edge blockers with his long arms and active hands but couldn't overpower his opponents with his brute strength and didn't show the sequencing skills to win with an assortment of counters when he was stymied at the line. If Smith attempted to win with speed or finesse, blockers would sit on his moves and stalemate him before he work their edges. Although he previously utilized similar moves to win as a young player, he didn't have the same twitch or explosiveness that once made him a dynamic rusher off the edge. Smith's QB sacks (3) with the Raiders resulted from "free" runs (unobstructed) to the quarterback or blown blocking assignments at the point of attack.

As a run defender, Smith is a capable stack and shed defender on the edge. He effectively utilizes his length to control blockers at the point of attack and works to seal the edge by maintaining proper leverage. Smith plays with enough effort and energy to win more than his fair share of battles on the edge in the run game but he could ramp up the hustle on plays away. To be a key contributor on a defense that this stage of his career, he will need to transform into a high-motor player with greater emphasis on his skills as a run defender.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

• Unrefined technician

What are scouts saying?
When Smith was with Oakland, he was good but not elite. He has natural ability to play on the edge with his length and natural power. He wasn't as explosive and finishing burst to the quarterback had dropped off but he would flash on occasion. You wonder how good Smith could've been if he was able to stay focused on and off the field.

Smith should be considered a wild card player for the Cowboys. The veteran defender hasn't suited up in a regular season game in four years and his game was in decline at that point. Although he might be in better shape from a mental and physical standpoint, it is hard to imagine a 30-year old shaking off the rust to re-emerge as a premier player at the position. That said, Smith could become a solid contributor as an EDGE defender and situational pass rusher for the Cowboys. He rejoins his old defensive line coach (Jim Tomsula) and is playing in a scheme that should put him in a position to make plays. If Smith can get into world-class shape and re-discover a few dependable pass rush moves, he could Mike Nolan a rotational power rusher in the bullpen.

Get better soon assassin! Pneumonia is nothing to sneeze about! If you don't get to feeling better you need to go to the hospital!!! I would suggest a building away from the virus. Lol
Assassin
Wichitabear said:

Get better soon assassin! Pneumonia is nothing to sneeze about! If you don't get to feeling better you need to go to the hospital!!! I would suggest a building away from the virus. Lol
thanks
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music, Memories From a Texas Window. Come see us!
Wichitabear
Assassin said:

Wichitabear said:

thanks

Assassin
I really liked the signing of Blake Bell. Our special teams were next to last in the overall rankings last year. Plus a 12 and 13 TE, solid brush blocker which is perfect for Zeke. I see him better on moving pocket protection or end runs rather than setting up

Will be interesting to see what kind of receiver he is with Dak on dumpoff passes. Plus he is an okay passer if we want to run some trick plays. At Okie he was 150 of 253 for a near 60% rate for 12 TDs and 6 picks

• Name: Blake Bell
  • Position: TE
  • College: Oklahoma
  • Height: 6-6
  • Weight: 252
  • Game Studied: 2019 (Kansas City vs. Bears, Broncos, and Ravens)

Overview:
Bell is a backup tight end/special teams contributor with the potential to contribute in a clearly defined role. The former college quarterback turned tight end has developed into a solid No.2 tight end with a run-blocking specialty.
As a pesky blocker with relentless energy and effort, Bell effectively handles edge defenders in the running game. Although he is not an overpowering blocker at the point of attack, he neutralizes defenders like a basketball power forward setting hard screens in the paint. Bell's stickiness and persistence is effective enough for runners to turn the corner when he seals defenders to shoot through creases on the inside of his kick out blocks. The big-bodied tight end doesn't necessarily move defenders off the ball but his leverage and positioning are just enough to get the job done.
In pass protection, Bell is an effective chipper or short term protector on the edges. He stalemates pass rushers initially before getting into his route on the perimeter. Despite his effectiveness on chips, Bell should be utilized in a limited role in pass protection. He will get exposed by elite pass rushers in one-on-one match-ups on the edge.
In the passing game, Bell is a dependable pass catcher with strong hands and good ball skills. He consistently catches balls delivered within the strike zone and flashes potential as a chain mover. Although he lacks the explosiveness to be a difference-maker or mismatch creator in the passing game, Bell is a capable pass-catcher with the capacity to snag a handful of receptions on underneath routes and check-downs.
As special teams player, Bell's combination of size, speed and athleticism should make him a functional player on kick coverage and return units. He was an effective blocker on the Chiefs' punt return units and should be able to function in a similar capacity with the Cowboys.

Strengths:

• Sticky run blocker
  • 100% effort player
  • Solid special teams contributor
  • Good hands/ball skills

Weaknesses:
  • Limited playmaker in the passing game
  • Lacks complete toolbox to be a TE1

What are scouts saying?
Bell has developed into a nice No.2 tight end. You can tell that he loves ball watching his effort and energy. He's an average blocker but he's persistent and works to finish. Bell's not built to be a No.1 but he's an adequate route runner with good hands. Overall, he's a solid backup/rotational player with some special teams value.

Bell should be an effective TE2 for the Cowboys. He is ideally suited to function as the "Y" (traditional tight end) in multi-tight end sets with Blake Jarwin operating as the H-Back or move player. Considering how Mike McCarthy likes to deploy a variety of spread and empty formations with "12" personnel (1 RB, 2 TEs and 2 WRs), Bell displays enough versatility to be deployed at various spots in those sets. Moreover, he is effective enough to play as a bookend in "Ace" formations, which could give him an opportunity to see significant playing time as a No.2 tight end on the roster.
BearForce
Assassin said:

Overview:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

• Unrefined technician

What are scouts saying?

Be very careful my friend
Kaiser Health News: Mysterious Heart Damage, Not Just Lung Troubles, Befalling COVID-19 Patients.
https://khn.org/news/mysterious-heart-damage-not-just-lung-troubles-befalling-covid-19-patients/
Wichitabear
I don't like the sound of that!
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Be very careful my friend
Kaiser Health News: Mysterious Heart Damage, Not Just Lung Troubles, Befalling COVID-19 Patients.
https://khn.org/news/mysterious-heart-damage-not-just-lung-troubles-befalling-covid-19-patients/
thanks
Assassin

Assassin
Assassin said:

Mims embodied one of the truths of this draft class: It is receiver-heavy. There are steals to be had after Round 1 and sleepers to be had throughout. Our guy Dane Brugler recently projected Mims to go No. 33, with the first pick in the second round, to the Bengals. Our understanding is that the Cowboys will eventually put a second-round grade on the 22-year-old from Daingerfield, Texas. ... and then hope he's still there when they select at No. 51 in Round 2. (Our colleague Bryan Broaddus at 105.3 The Fan project Mims as a second-round NFL selection.)
BearForce
Assassin said:

Assassin said:

Mims embodied one of the truths of this draft class: It is receiver-heavy. There are steals to be had after Round 1 and sleepers to be had throughout. Our guy Dane Brugler recently projected Mims to go No. 33, with the first pick in the second round, to the Bengals. Our understanding is that the Cowboys will eventually put a second-round grade on the 22-year-old from Daingerfield, Texas. ... and then hope he's still there when they select at No. 51 in Round 2. (Our colleague Bryan Broaddus at 105.3 The Fan project Mims as a second-round NFL selection.)

First Page Last Page
Page 409 of 845

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.