Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,051,361 Views | 29499 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On Facebook at "Memories of...":
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Assassin
Assassin
Jerry Jones tells reporters the Cowboys plan to play all of their home games in front of fans https://twitter.com/i/events/1293616332542373889
Dallas, Dallas Public, Texas, Texas Football, Texas Basketball, Texas Music. Come see us!
Wichitabear
Assassin said:

Jerry Jones tells reporters the Cowboys plan to play all of their home games in front of fans https://twitter.com/i/events/1293616332542373889
I sure hope it works out that way
Assassin
I just hope they play the games, fans or not
Assassin
"Business is business, and once I'm in the locker room and part of what's going on now, I don't focus too much about the future," Prescott said. "It's more about today. So with that being said, I'm excited to be a Dallas Cowboy. I've been a fan of this organization. I've been a fan of this program for years. I love every bit of the opportunity and the platform that I get to be the quarterback here. I love this team. I'm excited about what we can do and accomplish this year. No frustration as far as that. Once again, I believe something will get done, and I also believe I'll be a Dallas Cowboy for the rest of my career."

Prescott added "there are reasons probably it didn't get done from both sides."

Prescott will make $31.4 million under the one-year franchise tender, which is almost $28 million more than the quarterback made in his first four seasons combined. The sides can revisit a long-term deal after the season, but it will cost the Cowboys $37.68 million to tag him in 2021 if they can't get it done.
Wichitabear
Assassin said:

I just hope they play the games, fans or not
me too
Assassin
The Cowboys activated receiver Jon'Vea Johnson and cornerback Saivion Smith from the reserve/COVID-19 list, the team announced Sunday.

Johnson and Smith are the Cowboys' only players to spend time on the COVID-19 list thus far, though fullback Jamize Olawale, cornerback Maurice Canady and rookie receiver Stephen Guidry opted out of the 2020 season.

Johnson was on his way to finding a spot with the team a year ago before injuring his arm. He spent his rookie season on injured reserve.

Smith, a first-year player from Alabama, spent training camp with the Jaguars in 2019. Jacksonville cut him out of the preseason. Smith was not with a team last season but had a brief stint with the XFL before signing with the Cowboys in April.
Assassin
Assassin said:

The Cowboys activated receiver Jon'Vea Johnson and cornerback Saivion Smith from the reserve/COVID-19 list, the team announced Sunday.

Johnson and Smith are the Cowboys' only players to spend time on the COVID-19 list thus far, though fullback Jamize Olawale, cornerback Maurice Canady and rookie receiver Stephen Guidry opted out of the 2020 season.

Johnson was on his way to finding a spot with the team a year ago before injuring his arm. He spent his rookie season on injured reserve.

Smith, a first-year player from Alabama, spent training camp with the Jaguars in 2019. Jacksonville cut him out of the preseason. Smith was not with a team last season but had a brief stint with the XFL before signing with the Cowboys in April.
wasnt Johnson the kid we liked coming out of training camp last year?
Wichitabear
Assassin said:

"Business is business, and once I'm in the locker room and part of what's going on now, I don't focus too much about the future," Prescott said. "It's more about today. So with that being said, I'm excited to be a Dallas Cowboy. I've been a fan of this organization. I've been a fan of this program for years. I love every bit of the opportunity and the platform that I get to be the quarterback here. I love this team. I'm excited about what we can do and accomplish this year. No frustration as far as that. Once again, I believe something will get done, and I also believe I'll be a Dallas Cowboy for the rest of my career."

Prescott added "there are reasons probably it didn't get done from both sides."

Prescott will make $31.4 million under the one-year franchise tender, which is almost $28 million more than the quarterback made in his first four seasons combined. The sides can revisit a long-term deal after the season, but it will cost the Cowboys $37.68 million to tag him in 2021 if they can't get it done.
hmm, good to hear. I believe him and I think something will get done. Really excited about our new coach!
Assassin
Wichitabear said:

hmm, good to hear. I believe him and I think something will get done. Really excited about our new coach!
so far so good
BearForce
BOOM!

BearForce
It's moving
BearForce
Folks. We. Just. Committed. Theft!

BearForce
Good omens...can we haz?

BearForce
Well since I guess I am in here by myself...

Wichitabear
BearForce said:

lololol. You need to be once in a while. I would send Beyonc over but she's married.
BearForce
Wichitabear said:

BearForce said:

lololol. You need to be once in a while. I would send Beyonc over but she's married.

You are so generous....I love this signing.
Wichitabear
BearForce said:

Wichitabear said:

BearForce said:

You are so generous....I love this signing.
Thank you so much.
Assassin
BearForce said:

BOOM!

holy crap!
Assassin
BearForce said:

A better comparison, Robert Quinn will earn a base salary of $3,000,000 and a signing bonus of $15,500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,100,000 and a dead cap value of $18,500,000. $30,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $14,000,000.
Assassin
Why veteran edge rusher Everson Griffen might be a perfect fit for the Cowboys
Jon Machota

Stephen Jones said Wednesday afternoon that he felt as good about the Cowboys as he has at any point over the last five to 10 years.

But part of that response from the team's executive vice president included the following comment: "If we see an opportunity to improve or add depth to this football team, we'll certainly do it."

Dallas did just that Wednesday night when it added veteran edge rusher Everson Griffen on a one-year, $6 million deal, according to the NFL Network.

Griffen has spent all 10 years of his career in Minnesota. He made the Pro Bowl in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019. He posted double-digit sacks three times in the last six seasons, including a career-high 13 in 2017.

Last year, Griffen recorded eight sacks, 41 tackles, 11 tackles for loss and 24 QB hits.

The 32-year-old is a natural right defensive end, which fits perfectly with what the Cowboys needed: someone to line up on the opposite end of their top defender, DeMarcus Lawrence.

That was one of their weakest areas after they lost Robert Quinn to the Chicago Bears in free agency. Dallas added Aldon Smith and still have hopes of getting Randy Gregory reinstated from suspension, but neither played last season. Smith hasn't played since 2015. The Cowboys only selected one edge rusher in the draft, using a late fifth-round pick on Bradlee Anae.

The addition of Griffen gives Dallas someone who could potentially get double-digit sacks while Smith, Tyrone Crawford, Dorance Armstrong and others compete to give the group excellent depth. Signing Griffen also seems to solidify that Dallas will stay in a 4-3 scheme. New head coach Mike McCarthy has said that was the plan, but there was talk of utilizing more 3-4 looks this season under new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

"It all starts with players," Nolan said after being hired in January. "The things that excite me are the things we can potentially do down the road. Players will determine what we can do and what we can't do, not the scheme. The scheme is what you have to utilize the players."

This has been a unique offseason for the Cowboys in terms of adding established veterans to their defense. Along with Smith, they signed defensive tackles Gerald McCoy and Donatri Poe as well as safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in March.

Griffen and Jadeveon Clowney were the top two edge rushers remaining in free agency. Clowney's asking price was believed to have been too rich for the Cowboys. Griffen's deal is closer to the range Dallas paid Quinn last season (one year, $8 million).

It's important to note that George Edwards, a new senior defensive assistant for the Cowboys, was Griffen's defensive coordinator in Minnesota the last six years.

During a seven-year stretch from 2011-17, Griffen played at least 15 games every season. However, he missed five in 2018.

The Athletic reported in September about a surprise absence in Week 3 of 2018. Griffen voluntarily checked into a hospital over mental health concerns. He spent two months away from the team, missing Weeks 3-7. He returned last season to start 15 games.

"I'm just continuing to take the proper steps, sticking to my meetings, sticking to the people in my corner that have helped me along the way get to this point," Griffen said last year. "I feel good each and every day I come here. Just win the day, win the moment."

He said that what he learned most through the 2018 season is there's nothing wrong with seeking help.

"It's OK to get help, it's OK to reach out to somebody and ask for help," Griffen said. "Last year is over and done with. I'm not going to forget it. It taught me a valuable lesson that it's OK to ask for help. I'm going to keep doing that until the wheels fall off."

Griffen entered last season under contract with the Vikings through 2022. But he exercised a unique option in his deal to void the remaining three years in March so he could hit free agency. The one-year contract with Dallas allows him to potentially have a big year and receive a better deal next year in free agency.

Griffen was a fourth-round pick out of USC in 2010 and a college teammate of Pro Bowl left tackle Tyron Smith. The Cowboys will begin training camp practice on Friday, but Griffen won't be able to join his new teammates until he passes COVID-19 protocols.
Assassin
Assassin
SportsDayDFW @SportsDayDFW 9m

RT @DamonMarxDMN: The Cowboys are holding their first training camp practice this morning in Frisco. Unlike previous training camps, we won't be able to bring you real-time coverage because the Cowboys are not allowing live tweeting, photos or video. (1/2)
Assassin
Mike McCarthy: Left guard Connor Williams is still coming off injury so he's not a full-go to start camp. Joe Looney is taking first-team center snaps. Connor McGovern is getting the work at left guard
Assassin
TCrawford is back after hip surgery. At practice today
Assassin
Bleacher Report released a list of the most likely trade candidates for each NFL team, with Joe Looney making the list for Dallas.
Quote:

"Several teams are in need of a versatile interior lineman, and Dallas has 2019 third-round pick Connor McGovern as a backup at guard and rookie fourth-round pick Tyler Biadasz waiting in the wings at center.
If Biadasz pries the starting job away from Looney, the Cowboys should attempt to cash him in on the trade market."
===================
Looney makes 2.4mil.... wild, eh?

Of that list, I think you first half to look at folks with comparable numbers at a position we may need. I think that would be TE and S first, then CB and LB next. CBTerrance Mitchell is $3.6mil, S Marcus Maye is $2.1m, but my wish list is a kid we liked in the draft, TE Gerald Everett. 37 catches and 468 yds, 2m per. Those 37 catches would lead the TEs we have in camp.
Assassin
CeeDee Lamb had the play of the day with a one-handed catch over his head on a high pass near the sideline. The rookie also had a fumble later on as he turned up field, but the first rounder was noticeable even in an OTA-type practice. "He's the same guy I've been watching on TV the past two, three years," Ha Ha Clinton-Dix said. "I mean he's very focused, very fast, man, and he's just getting comfortable. I can't wait to see what he has in store being around so many veteran wide receivers."

Perhaps a sign the Cowboys will want to get the ball in CeeDee Lamb's hands as much as possible - he returned punts during the special teams portion of practice. Dez Bryant also returned punts as a rookie but was not used in that role much as his career went along.
Assassin
DC.com:

Here's some news and notes about what stood out from Day 1:
  • It didn't take long for first-round pick CeeDee Lamb to make an impression in his first NFL practice. Wearing No. 88, Lamb spectacularly hauled in a pass from Dak Prescott with his left hand on an out route. The rookie receiver also fielded some punts during special teams work.
  • Offensive tackles La'el Collins and Brandon Knight were dressed for practice but worked with the athletic training staff before and during the morning session. First-year tackle Wyatt Miller got first-team reps at right tackle with veteran Cameron Erving also not practicing.
  • Head coach Mike McCarthy said guard Connor Williams would be somewhat limited at the start of camp coming off last year's ACL surgery, but he participated in practice wearing a left knee brace.
  • In his first NFL practice since the 2015 season, defensive end Aldon Smith got an early rep against Pro Bowl left tackle Tyron Smith in one-on-one drills. Smith showed burst trying to beat Smith with an outside move. Call it a draw.
  • With outside temperatures close to 90 degrees Friday morning at The Star, the Cowboys have set up cooling stations in multiple white tent structures between their two outside practice fields, giving players a chance to cool down during breaks.
  • Donovan Wilson seems to be picking up where he left off last preseason. The coaching staff gave Wilson an opportunity to work with the first-team defense, and he definitely made the most of it. Wilson read Dak Prescott looking to make a near side throw outside the numbers, and he darted in front of the ball for a nifty interception. It was the first takeaway of training camp for a defense that is stressing the importance of generating turnovers.
  • Despite the sizable knee brace, Connor Williams was able to take part in plenty of the practice. The coaching staff limited him during the one-on-one portion of practice, but he was able to get some reps during the full-team period.
  • It's been a talking point all offseason that the cornerback depth chart is wide open, and it sure looked that way Friday. Every position in the secondary was rotating throughout practice. Chidobe Awuzie and Daryl Worley split reps on the left side, while Anthony Brown and Trevon Diggs split reps on the right side. Jourdan Lewis and Brown split time as the slot cornerback. Xavier Woods and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix were the initial starting safeties, but both Darian Thompson and Donovan Wilson got a chance to work with the starters.
  • It's typically a position that doesn't catch the eye, but the Cowboys' defensive tackles seemed to have a solid Day 1. Gerald McCoy wears his new uniform well, and he had a fair share of wins in 1-on-1 pass rush reps. Antwaun Woods and Trysten Hill also jumped out of the solo portion, as they each tallied several wins against their offensive counterparts. Then there was Tyrone Crawford, who actually started at defensive tackle in the full-team portion of practice. Dontari Poe is still on the team's PUP list while he works back from an offseason surgery, but it'll be exciting to add him to the group when he's ready.
  • One minor change: Justin March has a new number. The veteran linebacker has worn No. 53 for most of his Cowboys career, but he has moved into No. 59 ahead of the new season.
Assassin
Everson was going to make $13.9 million in salary cap space. However, Minnesota had the option to cut Griffen this year and free up $13 million of that cap space. Since the veteran defensive end fulfilled the playing time and production requirements in 2019 to void his contract this year, he also had the option to do this. Knowing that the Vikings were probably going to cut him if he decided to keep his current deal with the team, Griffen decided to void his contract instead and he became a free agent for the first time in his career.
BearForce
Assassin said:

Bleacher Report released a list of the most likely trade candidates for each NFL team, with Joe Looney making the list for Dallas.
Quote:

"Several teams are in need of a versatile interior lineman, and Dallas has 2019 third-round pick Connor McGovern as a backup at guard and rookie fourth-round pick Tyler Biadasz waiting in the wings at center.
If Biadasz pries the starting job away from Looney, the Cowboys should attempt to cash him in on the trade market."
===================

Of that list, I think you first half to look at folks with comparable numbers at a position we may need. I think that would be TE and S first, then CB and LB next. CBTerrance Mitchell is $3.6mil, S Marcus Maye is $2.1m, but my wish list is a kid we liked in the draft, TE Gerald Everett. 37 catches and 468 yds, 2m per. Those 37 catches would lead the TEs we have in camp.
The good news is we are almost to point of nit picking weaknesses now so I can see your logic for possible #2 TE, S, CB, and maybe LB. I still wonder though about #4 WR unless you throw Pollard into that mix.
Assassin
BearForce said:

Assassin said:

Quote:

===================

The good news is we are almost to point of nit picking weaknesses now so I can see your logic for possible #2 TE, S, CB, and maybe LB. I still wonder though about #4 WR unless you throw Pollard into that mix.
I think S is probably our biggest weakness. X is solid but no Earl. Haha is decent but you have to wonder what happened last two years. However they could both be All Pros with 7 All Pros (at any given time) lined up in front of them
Assassin
Assassin said:

BearForce said:

I think S is probably our biggest weakness. X is solid but no Earl. Haha is decent but you have to wonder what happened last two years. However they could both be All Pros with 7 All Pros (at any given time) lined up in front of them
Think about that. DLaw, McCoy, Poe, Griffen with a side of Smith. Behind them LTV, Jaylon and Sean.

The CBs and S's maybe able to take naps
Assassin
On the otherside, if we know the cap is gonna drop by $20m plus, Dak gets 7m more a year, then we have $27m in cuts coming. If Looney is available, I might start looking at who will be a 2021 cut and get some backups
Assassin

yep, he's ours...
First Page Last Page
Page 450 of 843

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.