Football
Sponsored by

* * Dallas Cowboys * *

2,051,084 Views | 29499 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Assassin
Assassin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dez Bryant (ankle, knee) said he plans to play Week 10 against the Falcons. He's yet to practice this week but plans to do so on Friday and is optimistic he'll be active for Sunday's game in Atlanta. Bryant hurt his right knee last year as well, though this injury is to a different area. Dez was having one of his best games of the season before his injury in Week 9, gashing Kansas City for 73 yards on six catches. We would not consider it a given he suits up against the Falcons, but he is trending in the right direction.
GoldMind
Assassin said:

NFL Network's Jane Slater reports Cowboys LT Tyron Smith (groin) is expected to miss Week 10 against the Falcons. One "person with knowledge of the situation" told Slater, "I'll be surprised if he plays through it." Smith suffered the injury in last week's win over Kansas City. Bryon Bell and Chaz Green are candidates to start in his place.

Sit him as long as he needs. We'll need him for the super bowl.
Assassin
GoldMind said:

Assassin said:

NFL Network's Jane Slater reports Cowboys LT Tyron Smith (groin) is expected to miss Week 10 against the Falcons. One "person with knowledge of the situation" told Slater, "I'll be surprised if he plays through it." Smith suffered the injury in last week's win over Kansas City. Bryon Bell and Chaz Green are candidates to start in his place.
The way the Eagles are playing - and without Zeke or Smith, we might go 3-3 over the next 6 games. Would pretty much take out out of the NFC East title game but still keep us in the wild card race if we win out those last two to go 9-6.

Would feel much better if we can 4-2 over the next six and head into the last two at 8-5.
GoldMind
Assassin said:

GoldMind said:

Assassin said:

The way the Eagles are playing - and without Zeke or Smith, we might go 3-3 over the next 6 games. Would pretty much take out out of the NFC East title game but still keep us in the wild card race if we win out those last two to go 9-6.

Would feel much better if we can 4-2 over the next six and head into the last two at 8-5.

Never ever doubt America's Team. You know better.
Assassin
GoldMind said:

Assassin said:

GoldMind said:

Assassin said:

Never ever doubt America's Team. You know better.
Assassin
The Falcons have the reigning NFL MVP at quarterback in Matt Ryan. The numbers might not be similar to what he was able to do in 2016 but the ability is still there. The Falcons haven't been scoring but they still do a great job of generating offense.

They're one of the best units in the league when it comes to winning on first down, averaging nearly seven yards (6.83) a play. The Cowboys are right there when it comes defending first down, only allowing opponents 4.58 yards per play -- which is seventh-best.

Where the Falcons have a decided advantage is their ability to throw the ball down the field. Ryan does an outstanding job of attacking the middle of the field with his skill players. In studying their games getting ready for this matchup, the majority of his passes were either between the safeties or over the top of them. Like Alex Smith last week, Ryan is not afraid to take that deep shot for a quick score. This is where the Cowboys have had their issues. Opponents have a quarterback rating of 114.6 when passing attempts 21 or more yards are in the air. That is only good enough for 29th in the league.

I could see the Falcons coming out and working to establish the run with Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman, but the way they win this game is with their passing game. Their offensive line has done a good job of protecting their quarterback by only allowing 14 sacks for the season. The Cowboys are third-best in the league when it comes to putting opposing quarterbacks on the ground, so something has to give here.
If the Falcons give Matt Ryan time to throw the ball they will win this game because the Cowboys secondary will have difficulty matching up with their receivers down the field.
Assassin
While it's likely the Cowboys are going to be using a running back by committee, the Falcons are one of the best teams in the NFL with that approach. Starter Devonta Freeman ranks 12th in the NFL in rushing with 512 yards. But his 114 carries rank 11th among those top 12 rushers. The reason for the lower numbers is because backup Tevin Coleman also has 316 yards, averaging an even 5.0 yards per carry. However, neither back is getting the ball into the end zone with regularity. Freeman and Coleman have a combined three rushing touchdowns.
GoldMind
How should they draft come draft time?
BearForce
GoldMind said:

Not in particular order, but will say it's time to look at WR early.

WR (X & Y), WDE, DT (1-tech), SLB, DBs, TE
GoldMind
If we're giving up bombs, shouldn't it make sense to pluck a DB or 2 in the 3rd - 4th rnd?
Franko
BearForce said:

GoldMind said:

Not in particular order, but will say it's time to look at WR early.

WR (X & Y), WDE, DT (1-tech), SLB, DBs, TE

Linebackers for sure. We saw what happened when Lee and Hitchens were out. Putrid LB play.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Assassin
GoldMind said:

D - pass rushing DE or LB. Full time LB at any position. One CB or CB/S.

Our 2nd rounder Awuzzie is back at practice. If he plays as well as he showed earlier, add 3rd Jourdan Lewis' great play along with the hitting of 6th rounder X Woods, this will be one of our better DB drafts in recent history. Will definately change the draft dynamics.

Taco is starting to emerge. One solid game doesnt tell you everything, but its a start. He always seemed more like a LDE to me rather than backside.

O - Competition for swing OT that can develop into starter. LG and/or LG/C backup. Speed WR. Backup QB if what they see in Rush in practice isnt enough. Hard for us to tell as he has no real skins on the wall.

I think 4th rounder Ryan Switzer is one of my bigger disappointments in our drafts in recent years. I was looking at him to become Beaz II. Surehanded and smart. Hasnt panned out that way to date.

6th rounder Noah Brown is a complete unknown. I dont hear much about him from practice. Hes regularly inactive for games.

Q - not sure where Rico is at. Witten is getting old. Hanna and Swaim are both blocking TEs. If Rico cant go, we need to consider TE.

Q2 - Dan Bailey health. Hopefully he will be just fine for a decade. We need to see how he comes back from groin injury. those are usually nagging
BaylorProud77
I'm just not feeling it. Zeke gone is going to hurt.
Gust Avrakotos
It will be tough...but I'm telling you... Morris has some skills. He's fresh and he's quick. If the OL can block, he will find holes.
GoldMind
BaylorProud77 said:

I'm just not feeling it. Zeke gone is going to hurt.

If that proves true, we've got bigger problems.
Franko
Gust Avrakotos said:

It will be tough...but I'm telling you... Morris has some skills. He's fresh and he's quick. If the OL can block, he will find holes.
I'm looking forward to seeing our other Ohio State RB get some action. The Smith brother with two legs.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Assassin
Cowboys plan to integrate TE Rico Gathers back into team meetings next week and have him around team more as he works his way back from concussion that has kept him on IR all season.
Assassin
Little zeke takes it - all - the - wa...

Assassin
My Fanspeak Mock Draft. I venture to say I dont know a single one of these guys;

21: R1P21
EDGE ARDEN KEY
LSU

53: R2P21
WR DANTE PETTIS
WASHINGTON

85: R3P21
LB TREMAINE EDMUNDS
VIRGINIA TECH

123: R4P21
CB BRANDON FACYSON
VIRGINIA TECH

136: R4P34
TE DEANDRE GOOLSBY
FLORIDA

173: R5P35
OT BRETT KENDRICK
TENNESSEE

176: R5P38
G CODY OCONNELL
WASHINGTON STATE

200: R6P21
DL SCOTT PAGANO
OREGON

213: R6P34
LB CHRIS WORLEY
OHIO STATE

243: R7P21
CB SHAQ WIGGINS
TENNESSEE
Assassin
Cowboys signed DT Daniel Ross off the Chiefs' practice squad. Fills open roster spot with Ezekiel Elliott on the Reserve/Suspended list.
BaylorProud77
I love Morris I'll be yelling hard for him.
Assassin
here ya go BF. It is Green
---
Cowboys have ruled Tyron Smith out of Sunday's game against Atlanta because of a groin strain. Smith didn't practice all week. Chaz Green will replace him in the starting lineup. Tight end Geoff Swaim (knee) has also been ruled out.
Assassin
Jerry Jones takes issue with power of commissioner's position, not Roger Goodell
BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
NOVEMBER 10, 2017 12:19 PM

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones doesn't deny being at war with some NFL owners, particularly Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, over a planned contract extension for commissioner Roger Goodell.
But Jones said Friday on his radio show on 105.3 The Fan that his issue is not necessarily with Goodell, but the power of the commissioner.

Jones has threatened to sue the NFL and some owners if the six-man compensation, chaired by Blank, approves the extension without putting it to a vote of all of the owners. It makes for some added pre-game intrigue for Sunday's match-up between the Cowboys and Falcons.

"This is such an important matter in light of a lot of the things that are going on in the NFL right now," Jones said. "I basically feel this extension of Roger should go and be reviewed and approved by all the owners, not just a few of the owners. The committee that basically negotiates the salary with our commissioner is taking the view, especially the chairman, that they, in a limited group, can complete this agreement. I disagree. This is simply about making sure that all clubs have input into not only the commissioner, his extension, but also in future years, his decisions. We all see how impactful a commissioner's decision can be in many areas. We've given him a lot of power.

"To a large degree, it's not about Roger Goodell. It's about the power of the commissioner as it relates to ownership. To the extent that the ownership hires him, extends him, pays him on an ongoing basis, the ownership should have first-hand approval, each owner should approve that."

And while Jones understands that he was one of 32 owners who unanimously authorized the compensation committee to work on and approve a contract extension for Goodell, he says adverse things have come up in the NFL, including the anthem issue and behavior policies, prompting owners to want to revisit the decision.

"I think just since the period of time that we first addressed extending Roger, I think we've had several material adverse conditions happen," Jones said. "We should basically honor those conditions, such things as the anthem, such things as behavioral policies. All of those things, since we've had this plan in place, have occurred. It's a well-known, an accepted principle that in a negotiation if you have material consequences occur that you revisit the situation. Certainly, we've got things that we need to discuss that weren't on the table last spring."

Chief among the behavior issues that have happened since last spring is Goodell's decision to suspend Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott for six games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, based on allegations of domestic violence by a former girlfriend, Tiffany Thompson.

Elliott was never arrested or charged in the case. And Jones not only believes he should not have been disciplined but also believes he was misled by Goodell into thinking there were be no suspension for Elliott, per a source.

Jones's problem with Goodell is not about the Elliott discipline, but the policies given to the commissioner that impacted Elliott who, after series of legal fights with NFL in federal court, will officially begin his six-game suspension Sunday in Atlanta.

"I'm disappointed when he's not going to play," Jones said. "It is what it is. That's not being resolute. It's just simply, it's what it is. I really fervently disagree that we shouldn't have him on the playing field. But a lot of people are trying to tie it in frankly with the issue regarding my stance as to the chairman and renewing the commissioner. That's really not right.

"The facts are the issues that involve the commissioner are far more reaching. The policy that we have that has impacted Zeke is more of my issue with the commissioner, more so that Zeke's particular circumstance."
Assassin
Cowboys have dominated the turnover battle, 7-1, in their current three-game winning streak. The Falcons, meanwhile, are tied with Oakland the NFL's fewest takeaways, with six.
Assassin
ex Cowboy stuff

With running back Malcolm Brown out for at least a few weeks due to an MCL injury, the Rams have added to the roster a new backup to Todd Gurley.

He's Lance Dunbar, activated on Saturday from the physically unable to perform list.

Dunbar spent five seasons with the Cowboys, rushing for a total of 422 yards in 54 games. A knee injury relegated Dunbar to the physically unable to perform list in his first year with the Rams. He has been practicing with the team for the last two weeks.

"It was good to get Lance back out there," coach Sean McVay told reporters on Friday. "He's been practicing for the last couple weeks and now this will offer and opportunity for us to see him on Sunday."

"I'm feeling great, excited to get back out there with my teammates," Dunbar said. "I feel healthy, I've been doing everything, playing football, so I'm excited. It's going to be a fun day on Sunday."
Assassin
Assassin
Assassin
ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms Dez Bryant (questionable, ankle, knee) is expected to play Week 10 against the Falcons.

This comes straight from the horse's mouth as Bryant has made it no secret that he plans to suit up Sunday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. The Cowboys will probably air it out more with workhorse Ezekiel Elliott beginning a six-game suspension.
GoldMind
Assassin said:

ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms Dez Bryant (questionable, ankle, knee) is expected to play Week 10 against the Falcons.

This comes straight from the horse's mouth as Bryant has made it no secret that he plans to suit up Sunday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. The Cowboys will probably air it out more with workhorse Ezekiel Elliott beginning a six-game suspension.

Yea...TWill gonna need to have a game
Assassin
GoldMind said:

Assassin said:

No kidding. This is where he needs to earn that new $17 mil contract he got this season.
Assassin
Draft stuff:

Matt MillerVerified account @nfldraftscout8m8 minutes ago

Safest picks in this draft are Saquon Barkley, Quenton Nelson and Minkah Fitzpatrick.
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

The Falcons have the reigning NFL MVP at quarterback in Matt Ryan. The numbers might not be similar to what he was able to do in 2016 but the ability is still there. The Falcons haven't been scoring but they still do a great job of generating offense.

They're one of the best units in the league when it comes to winning on first down, averaging nearly seven yards (6.83) a play. The Cowboys are right there when it comes defending first down, only allowing opponents 4.58 yards per play -- which is seventh-best.

Where the Falcons have a decided advantage is their ability to throw the ball down the field. Ryan does an outstanding job of attacking the middle of the field with his skill players. In studying their games getting ready for this matchup, the majority of his passes were either between the safeties or over the top of them. Like Alex Smith last week, Ryan is not afraid to take that deep shot for a quick score. This is where the Cowboys have had their issues. Opponents have a quarterback rating of 114.6 when passing attempts 21 or more yards are in the air. That is only good enough for 29th in the league.

I could see the Falcons coming out and working to establish the run with Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman, but the way they win this game is with their passing game. Their offensive line has done a good job of protecting their quarterback by only allowing 14 sacks for the season. The Cowboys are third-best in the league when it comes to putting opposing quarterbacks on the ground, so something has to give here.
If the Falcons give Matt Ryan time to throw the ball they will win this game because the Cowboys secondary will have difficulty matching up with their receivers down the field.
well that is not a glowing report.
Assassin
BaylorProud77 said:

Assassin said:

They ate us up last year when we played. Ryan and Julio Jones connected for two touchdowns, Devonta Freeman ran for 141 yards and three scores, and they won 39-28 in our first game without Tony Romo.
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

GoldMind said:

Assassin said:

No kidding. This is where he needs to earn that new $17 mil contract he got this season.
He will bring it! Number 90? The sport news says we need to give him a raise and watch how good he will play today. Who is this?
BaylorProud77
Assassin said:

BaylorProud77 said:

Assassin said:

They ate us up last year when we played. Ryan and Julio Jones connected for two touchdowns, Devonta Freeman ran for 141 yards and three scores, and they won 39-28 in our first game without Tony Romo.
omg.
First Page Last Page
Page 71 of 843

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.