Football
Sponsored by

Grimes

6,255 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
IowaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dude gets a pass way to often, he burried Shapen tonight. If this is how we plan to play on offense for our road games then prepare for a 6-6 season because that was beyond pathetic from him. .
BUGWBBear
He needs to get pink-slipped
Fre3dombear
I'm just glad he didn't run squirl up the gut on 4th and 5 with 2 min to go tied 20-20
Fre3dombear
Watching all these down the ford highlights from other teams makes me sick.

Art Briles. We miss you.
IowaBear
Get used to it, Grimes has everyone fooled into thinking he's sone sort of offensive wizard. He's stuck in 1950 with his philosophy of running every play
Mitch Henessey
Fre3dombear said:

Art Briles. We miss you.
Seeing you fellate a coach who's been gone 6+ years in every single thread is getting rather tiresome. Not gonna lie.
Fre3dombear
Mitch Henessey said:

Fre3dombear said:

Art Briles. We miss you.
Seeing you fellate a coach who's been gone 6+ years in every single thread is getting rather tiresome. Not gonna lie.

Fellating must be something you're familiar with. Not judging but wouldn't know about it
MrFrooz
Fre3dombear said:

Art Briles. We miss you.

You realize that we had the best season in program history last year, right? With Dave Aranda. Right?

The actual comment I was going to make before getting sidetracked by CAB morons was to wait and watch the film before you crucify Grimes.

I know Shapen wasn't slinging it but our WRs could not get open to save their lives. My biggest criticism of Grimes is not having any designed plays to get Ben Sims involved, especially in OT.
Doc Holliday
If you're going to call a run almost every single play and make it extremely obvious …at least snap it directly to the RB so you get an extra blocker.

BellCountyBear
Grimes is certainly culpable. I don't recall any pass attempts beyond 15 yards tonight.
vanillabryce
Back to Grimes…

I'm not and Xs and Os guy, but why weren't we rolling out Shapen, going to slants, or using screen passes?

PartyBear
Wasn't he viewed as the GOAT here up until last night. Weird thread.
IowaBear
Weird thread? Hardly the dude is inconsistent at best. He calls better games at home vs on the road. But last nights playcalling was HS JV type of stuff. Absolutely horrendous gameplay by him. We turned around and handed the ball of over 50 times!! We're not a naval academy. If that's what Grimes and Aranda want us a team that's 80/20 there's zero reason Gerry Bohannan isn't starting for us right now
boerne bear
We got beat by the home field advantage. Best home crowd that I have ever seen via T.V.... I can only imagine what it was like in person. Instead of wearing out the coaches ( like a typical Longhorn fan ) we should aspire to provide OUR Bears with the kind of classy homefield advantage that the BYU team got from their fans last night.
We had plenty of chances to win; but those fans NEVER gave up; and WE should try and give OUR team and coaches that kind of support.
PartyBear
Weird thread to see calls for firings at this point is what I meant. . Actually asinine is the better word.
BU82EX
I understand the frustration, every Bear fan was frustrated last night, but I'd say its a bit premature to start firing the OC that helped get us to a program defining 12 wins and Sugar Bowl victory just last season. Clearly this is the identity that Aranda wants for his program. Tough defense with a grind it out offense that can hit on some big plays here and there. Unfortunately last night we had zero big plays and if Grimes is to be faulted it was his lack of imaginative play calling within his system that doomed us on offense. Our big advantage on offense was our speed. Yet he kept running out speed guys between the tackles instead of off tackle. We also can't escape the price we paid for the penalties. I agree with an earlier post, these were at critical times and essentially had the impact of a turnover. I thought our #9 ranking was a tad optimistic, but I'm certainly not giving up on a conference Championship and certainly not giving up on this coaching staff. Given our tough road schedule, the lessons learned in this game could pay dividends in the future.
Aliceinbubbleland
No interceptions or fumbles yet a lot of penalties for nearly 120 yards?
IowaBear
Agree with all of this except the thought that Aranda knows what he wants to be offensively. They had exactly what you described last year. Yet they choose to go with Shapen to open up the pass game and become more explosive. Yet we ran over 50 times last night and didn't even give Blake a shot. Now Blake wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire last night but we put him a position to constantly fail via the playcalling. If this is the kind of offense we want that makes moving on from GBo a real head-scratcher
ImABearToo
Hope Novasad wasn't watching, he may think twice about Baylor.
“Life is short, eat desert first!”
IowaBear
Was having that same thought during breakfast. Not sure turning around to handle the ball off 50 times a week is something that has him salivating at the mouth
MarineBear
The defense and having an RB like smith saved our ass and won games last year, not Grimes. I questioned his play calling multiple times last year because he rolled out the same type of nonsense we saw last night and we somehow got the upper hand in the 4th quarters.
chorne68
boerne bear said:

We got beat by the home field advantage. Best home crowd that I have ever seen via T.V.... I can only imagine what it was like in person. Instead of wearing out the coaches ( like a typical Longhorn fan ) we should aspire to provide OUR Bears with the kind of classy homefield advantage that the BYU team got from their fans last night.
We had plenty of chances to win; but those fans NEVER gave up; and WE should try and give OUR team and coaches that kind of support.
I agree with this.
Johnny Bear
If you've made the decision that you're going to try to win the game by pounding the rock against a demonstrably stout defense, I don't get why we didn't go exclusively to Jones on our last drive in regulation and throughout the overtimes. Nothing against Skwirl, but he just isn't a pound it between the tackles type back if that's what you've decided you're mainly going to do.
Art_E_Guinn
Fre3dombear said:

Art Briles. We miss you.
Ah, the "Baylor Boomer" slogan for old men who have a hard on for another old man.
Art_E_Guinn
MrFrooz said:

Fre3dombear said:

Art Briles. We miss you.

You realize that we had the best season in program history last year, right? With Dave Aranda. Right?

The actual comment I was going to make before getting sidetracked by CAB morons was to wait and watch the film before you crucify Grimes.

I know Shapen wasn't slinging it but our WRs could not get open to save their lives. My biggest criticism of Grimes is not having any designed plays to get Ben Sims involved, especially in OT.
don't tell them which coach got us within an OT of the CFP. their heads might explode so hard that partial debris washes up on the Jersey Shore.
Reverend
I think Grimes was limited by Shapen being a no show. He went to plan B and it wasn't a good plan.
LagunaBear
Grimes getting fired now is just a dumb idea. I have total confidence in him.

Having said said, I don't think he had the greatest game plan last night. I mean we picked Shapen over Bohanan last spring because Shapen is such a better passer and then we don't use him to pass. Also, we could clearly see our O line wasn't dominant in the run game last week against Albany. For those two reasons I'm surprised we tried so hard to win this game by running the ball.

In short, not his best game, but I still have confidence in him.
Art_E_Guinn
Reverend said:

I think Grimes was limited by Shapen being a no show. He went to plan B and it wasn't a good plan.
please explain how it wasn't a good plan. what would you have done differently?

he ran the ball to keep the clock running and keep the score low. BYU was clearly the better team even without their two WRs, yet Baylor would've won if not for the missed PAT OR the missed FG OR the holding call on Skwirl's TD.
BellCountyBear
MarineBear said:

The defense and having an RB like smith saved our ass and won games last year, not Grimes. I questioned his play calling multiple times last year because he rolled out the same type of nonsense we saw last night and we somehow got the upper hand in the 4th quarters.
This. 1000%
BaylorGrad09
The running game didn't work last night because there was no threat beyond 5 yards of LOS. BYU stacked the box and the receivers. There has to be something behind that.

Baylor almost ran as many times as they did in the Alamo bowl when they didn't even have a quarterback. I can't fathom. That was a legitimate game plan without some kind of QB injury. They didn't even give the receivers a chance to get a PI.

It's a baffling strategy without an injury.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I surely hope CDA reads this this thread so he can learn how to coach. There are some real genuises here. Maybe yall should call him and tell him how to coach. I bet you are xbox champions..

But really, what makes you think you know more sbout football in general and specifically this team than CDA? I cant wait to here the answers.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Quinton
The offense was shook the entire game. Again, the play calling was very strange but clearly saw something in the qb that instilled no confidence. Called the game like byu had GA's secondary.

Smith was highly underrated as a college back. It wasn't just the o-line. Fell forward and really leaned into contact. Our backs last night fell back after contact. With Smith they win the game. BYU is very good at home and had the best home field advantage of any team so far this year.. and it wasn't close. Team struggled to handle it. Also struggled with the altitude.
MrGolfguy
Lots of stupidity in this thread. SMH

Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Married A Horn
MrFrooz said:

Fre3dombear said:

Art Briles. We miss you.

What tv feed are yall getting to be able to see the wr's? I kept wanting to see that and never really got to check.
Married A Horn

Hutto Hippo
Trinity Trojan
Mothballs
Reverend said:

Drones legs should have been Plan B.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.