Football
Sponsored by

Whoever finishes last in the Big 12…

1,956 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by boognish_bear
EvilTroyAndAbed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
…will be the best last place finisher of any conference ever. We have 0 bad teams. Probably won't make the playoffs, but every team is solid.
Bakersdozen
True. Compare this year to league's past. No one is a patsy.
historian
Without question, the Big 12 is the strongest conference from top to bottom.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
vanillabryce
Agreed, and we're gonna see some wild and close games all year.
Johnny Bear
There will likely be a lot of beating up on each other when all is said and done which is why once again the B12 won't be represented in the CFP.
historian
Probably not but no guarantees. Already much of this cfb season has been surprising. I'm ok with Baylor playing in the Sugar Bowl again.
Aberzombie1892
My what could have been for the Big 12 if all of the non-conference losses hadn't occurred (Pittsburgh, Alabama, Tulane, NC State and BYU).
EvilTroyAndAbed
Well, NC State won easily, but the others were certainly toss ups.
whitetrash
Big12 has no top elite teams, but no cupcakes either. It appears one could argue that the worst Big12 team is better than:

ACC: GaTech, BC, UVA, VaTech
B1G: Nebraska, NW, Rutgers, Indiana
Pac12: Colorado, AzSt, Arizona, Cal
SEC: Vandy, Mizzou, Auburn
Aberzombie1892
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Well, NC State won easily, but the others were certainly toss ups.

That's true, but the Big 12 went 0-4 vs teams ranked in the preseason (Alabama, BYU, NC State and Pittsburgh), and that dampers the hype a bit.
historian
No excuses but 3 of those were road games against very loud & hostile crowds. The other was Bama not looking very good.
boognish_bear
gobears20
Staff
Hopefully this conference starts to get more respect.
Mothballs
gobears20 said:

Hopefully this conference starts to get more respect.

Personally, I think we are respected on the field. Our lack of respect comes from the media because most of our schools have small fan bases therefore we don't generate click bait for them. Just my opinion though.
Aberzombie1892
The lack of respect comes from the core of the perception of a conference being (1) carried by its strongest team and (2) related to out of conference games, so while the Big 12 probably has the best middle and has the best bottom, it suffers because its top hasn't been as strong due to early season losses and it hasn't been as successful as one would hope with several out of conference games losses. If Texas beats Bama, Kansas State beats Tulane, and Tech beats NC State, the Big 12 would have 6 top 20 teams (Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma) with Kansas and TCU still being undefeated.

The point is that those three losses alone dramatically impacted the perception of the conference, and that is a clear example of how important winning out of conference games in the regular season are.
boognish_bear
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.