Football
Sponsored by

next up - Oklahoma Aggies

3,421 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Early thoughts?
Best team we've played so far/ getting them at home might give BU the slight edge/ I would've preferred a night game b/c McLane is rockin' at night & homefield advantage would be bumped up a bit/ hot afternoon games it seems a little muted as a lot of folks are hanging out in the shade of the concourse/ BU offense is getting better & starting to hit its stride/ defense needs to really step up this week (pass defense has a lot of room to improve)/ OSU likely has this game circled as BU dashed their Big12 title hopes last year/ they've put up big numbers this year but against 3 bad to mediocre teams & all at home - BU will easily be several steps up in competition for them, while the Bears have already been tested by 2 good teams on the road/ Aranda will have his boys ready - protecting home field is key

What've you got?
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
IowaBear
I haven't had a chance to watch them this year so I too am curious of peoples thoughts. I do know they lost a ton of talent to the NFL on both sides of the ball. It feels like their defense took a step back. They do still have 2 very good edge rushers in Martin and Oliver. No idea what to make of them offensively as they haven't played a team with a pulse yet. They did have to replace Warren and Martin at RB and WR respectively. Gonna be another grind. Not sure I truly believe they're really the 9th best team in the land at this point but will find out in 6 days
boykin_spaniel
Sanders has looked pretty solid albeit against not so great teams. I do expect him to connect on a few big pass plays Saturday. Defense will have to find ways to limit it and pressure him into the turnover machine Aranda and company made him last year.

Offense needs to pick up from last week and continue growing. OSU lost some serious talent on D but Derek Mason is a great coordinator and will probably have a few new wrinkles for this game. Grimes and company will need to see them and adjust accordingly.

Should be a great game. I think Bears can win by 10 if they force a couple turnovers and the offense keeps it up like last week, but no turnovers and the offense goes slack… going to be all quiet along the Brazos front.
MrGolfguy
IowaBear said:

Not sure I truly believe they're really the 9th best team in the land at this point
True
MrGolfguy
QB battle - Shapen vs Sanders - who's better?
RegentCoverup
Their punter is the oldest guy in college sports.
boognish_bear
If we can get consistent pressure on Sanders he's shown he's prone to dumb mistakes. I think that ISU road win has to give our guys, especially the new ones, a big shot of confidence. This is going to be a fun game and very glad it's in Waco and not Stillwater. This cool front that has come through should help the on field temps not be crazy.

With every team seemingly having a shot to win every Saturday I think it's going to be a war of attrition for everyone getting through the conference schedule this year. This will be a huge win for whichever teams gets it since OU, UT, and ISU already have their first loss. If we can win this and already own tiebreakers over ISU and OSU we will be starting off in a great way.
Robert Wilson
MrGolfguy said:

QB battle - Shapen vs Sanders - who's better?
I'd take our guy, but mainly I'd take whichever one gets better protection. We have to get after Sanders big time.
Alf
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Their punter is the oldest guy in college sports.

How old is Sanders anyway? Seems like he's been there for the last 10 years.
parch
1. They've played nobody yet, and looked shaky at times against two of those nobodies.

2. They have not yet gone on the road.

3. They didn't play last weekend.

We're pretty evenly matched on talent, but I think those factors will play a large role in this game. OSU is not only coming into this game cold and without a gut check test so far, but we're also hitting a rhythm after ISU and already experienced the most intense environment we'll see all year. Mentality-wise we're on two different planes of existence this week.

Game could turn on a lot of different factors, but those are big ones, and we are and should be favorites.
Robert Wilson
I'll add - gonna be a long conference season, and everyone is going to take losses.

That said, we already put one on ISU. UT and OU have already lost to teams they expected to beat. We put one on OSU right now, and we are off to an excellent start.
Chamberman
I heard Keaton Page will be playing in the running back position this year for OSU. He still has 3 years of eligibility left.
Jorkel
From what I've seen watching them a little. Their defense isn't the same without their former DC. Their offense has a lot of speed at receiver and are shifty. Sanders looks pretty good being a senior with a lot of command over the offense. Maybe we see old Sanders come out this weekend though
MrGolfguy
Here's Coach Aranda's thoughts on the Oklahoma Aggies

Mothballs
IowaBear said:

Not sure I truly believe they're really the 9th best team in the land at this point but will find out in 6 days

They won't be after Saturday {eyes and fingers crossed}
MrGolfguy
OSU Coach Gundy talks BU

Bakersdozen
I have watched every game - my wife is a OSU alumni and huge fan. It was part of the marriage package. Worst day of the year comes Saturday. I lose either way.

They have as good of a DL as we do. I really thought they would take a step back on defense with a new DC but in 3 games against lesser competition, they have looked pretty good (except for 2H of first game).

It appears Sanders has leaned some lessons, but we shall see Saturday under duress. I think our DL will put pressure on him, but he can flat out run the same as Martinez on KSU. He is that good of a runner.

They play smash mouth football and get to the ball quickly on defense. Central Michigan tore up their secondary in 2H of first game, but they had a HUGE lead.

I think we have a good shot of winning but they will come in with a chip on their shoulder after the Big 12 game - much like BYU.

They are by far the best team we have faced this year. Dekker just wasn't the QB that Sanders is, unless he falters like last year. I am betting he doesn't and the game is super close.
IowaBear
Sanders is and always will be incredibly Mediocre as a QB. Hasn't improved whatsoever in 4 friggin years. Lot of stock being put into him lighting up 3 absolute cupcakes. He scares no one with his arm. Sure he can run, but as explosive as Martinez ? Hell no
MrGolfguy
Bakersdozen said:

I have watched every game - my wife is a OSU alumni and huge fan. It was part of the marriage package. Worst day of the year comes Saturday. I lose either way.

They have as good of a DL as we do. I really thought they would take a step back on defense with a new DC but in 3 games against lesser competition, they have looked pretty good (except for 2H of first game).

It appears Sanders has leaned some lessons, but we shall see Saturday under duress. I think our DL will put pressure on him, but he can flat out run the same as Martinez on KSU. He is that good of a runner.

They play smash mouth football and get to the ball quickly on defense. Central Michigan tore up their secondary in 2H of first game, but they had a HUGE lead.

I think we have a good shot of winning but they will come in with a chip on their shoulder after the Big 12 game - much like BYU.

They are by far the best team we have faced this year. Dekker just wasn't the QB that Sanders is, unless he falters like last year. I am betting he doesn't and the game is super close.
Good stuff
Karab
It's absolutely wild how confident everyone seems to be in wanting to trash talk OSU, who had a full extra week to prepare for a vengeance game, with the most veteran QB in the Big 12 who has mastered Gundy's system... Which, oh by the way, is kryptonite for our inexperienced corners.
IowaBear
Hindsight is 20/20. They haven't played a road game, they beat 3 lousy lousy teams. They have yet to be tested by a team with even the slightest of pulses. And that veteran QB is mediocre… at best. You need to read the OSU boards, they're predicting a 3 TD win. If anything is wild it's the confidence they have in the worst 4 year QB I've ever seen
MrGolfguy
Karab said:

It's absolutely wild how confident everyone seems to be in wanting to trash talk OSU
Huh?
Bear2014
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Their punter is the oldest guy in college sport
Are you including BYU in this? their average age is pretty high. isnt their QB 24 years old?
Bear2014
OSU always makes me nervous. Lately, we do seem to have the upper hand on them, especially since we're in McLane and not Boone Pickens. As mentioned in prior posts, they really havent played anyone of substance.. but, they did have the luxury of an off week last week to prep for this game. its a toss-up for me
Bear8084
Karab said:

It's absolutely wild how confident everyone seems to be in wanting to trash talk OSU, who had a full extra week to prepare for a vengeance game, with the most veteran QB in the Big 12 who has mastered Gundy's system... Which, oh by the way, is kryptonite for our inexperienced corners.

They are two good teams and a potentially winnable game for us. There is no trash talking going on....
boognish_bear
parch
boognish_bear said:

Ron Roberts is Spencer Sanders' father, grandfather and great grandfather.
Bear8084
boognish_bear said:

Bear2be brought something like that up last season. We were basically the only team to give him fits like that.
RegentCoverup
Bear2014 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Their punter is the oldest guy in college sport
Are you including BYU in this? their average age is pretty high. isnt their QB 24 years old?
Dude is 32.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college-football-players-old-age-11663856768
Chamberman
There's a lot of conflicting opinions in this thread. Kryptonite vs. most int's against a single opponent.

Hmmm?

I'm going with a 31 - 21 victory for the Bears!
historian
Sanders likes to throw to Baylor defenders. It will be a shocking (& very disappointing) development if we don't get at least 1-2 picks.

Our D showed some great things in Ames. I expect them to step up Saturday at home. Same with our offense.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
historian
IowaBear said:

Hindsight is 20/20. They haven't played a road game, they beat 3 lousy lousy teams. They have yet to be tested by a team with even the slightest of pulses. And that veteran QB is mediocre… at best. You need to read the OSU boards, they're predicting a 3 TD win. If anything is wild it's the confidence they have in the worst 4 year QB I've ever seen

I assume you mean their fans are predicting a 21 pt win for them. Seriously, though, all your points are spot on. They are a good team but not as good as last year. Sanders has talent that shows up in spurts between lots of boneheaded plays. We saw that in Arlington last year & I've seen some of it this year. I haven't watched them much but he looked pretty good, at home against weaklings. Our DL will cause him all kinds of grief.
Karab
Interesting stats: "Gundy is 8 for 8 in games coming off bye weeks against lower ranked opponents in the last decade and 13-3 in games where the line is within 3 points."

Also, we need to give OSU's DL more attention. Baylor and OSU have the two best DLs in the Big 12, but for different reasons. Not only are both returning so much from last year, OSU's DL is especially good at DE and pass rush. Shapen is going to get sacked multiple times
historian
The Pokes only have 1 win at McLane Stadium: 2020, the covid year & Aranda's debut as a HC. It won't be easy but I fully expect a Baylor win, quite likely by double digits.

FYI: here are our margins of victory vs the Pokes in recent years:

2014 49-28
2015 45-35 Our first win in Stillwater since 1930s.
2016 35-24
2017 L
2018 35-31
2019 45-27 In Stillwater!
2020 L
2021 L in Stillwater, 21-16 to win Big 12 championship

We have a pretty good record against them!
historian
Shapen may get sacked but I expect Sanders is more likely to be sacked repeatedly. If not Ika, then Randolph, Franklin, or maybe a safety.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.