Football
Sponsored by

Realignment - A Thought

1,023 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BaylorGrad09
Bakersdozen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why not put revenue generating programs together in a conference/league and put non-generating revenue programs in another league/conference that is geographically based.

1. First, there is a lot of money in basketball except the NCAA keeps all the revenue from the tournament and disperses among NCAA teams. If that were broken, you could see massive amounts of money that would more closely rival football revenue. Football gets to keep most of the revenue from post season, but that is not true of basketball.
2. That could mean that media might now see the revenue generated from basketball in a different light and conferences could make more money. That means that conference like the Big 12 or teams like Baylor and Okie State and KU might be viewed differently.
3. So if you have football, MBB and WBB (I know WBB is not revenue generating but I think you would have to include them) into conference but not the other sports programs at the school.
4. Take all the other sports programs and put them into regionally based conferences and leagues so that expenses are reduced, fans get to see more local games and parents get to watch.
5. Strange as it seems - Baylor could be part of big-time football/basketball/WBB and then the smaller programs compete in a different conference/league.

If this is really all about money, that is the best way to make it. NCAA is dying or dead anyway. Take basketball revenue away (TV/Games/endorsements/sponsorships, etc) and put that in with football and I think it balances things out a lot more.

Just thinking out loud (or I guess posting my thoughts and ideas). Watch as I get killed now for a bad idea.
4yrletterbear
Way too Practical
Bakersdozen
Ha! I thought that is what was wrong with realignment. It didn't make sense to me.
Bear2014
100% agree. Football, Mens Basketball and Womens Basketball should be in the p5/national type conferences. Every other sport should be more localized. A Texas/oklahoma/arkansas/louisiana conference for the non-rev sports makes perfect sense. Driveable distances, great competition, less travel, more school, etc. I have thought this for years. Why tf should there be a tuesday night soccer game of USC vs Rutgers? in what world does that makes sense? Making the 3 rev sports more of a national conference make sense, since they make money
Redbrickbear
4yrletterbear said:

Way too Practical
Exactly.

None of this stuff has to do with practicality or even logic.

I mean Maryland & Rutgers (New Jersey) are in a conference with Nebraska lol.

And USC/UCLA are about to be with Minnesota.

When decisions were made for practicality we had the regional SWC and football games in Texas during Sept & Oct started at 6:00pm

BaylorGrad09
From another thread on an ACC-Big12-PAC12 merger, you could almost do something like this. Obviously you wouldn't have the schools from the other two conferences, but you would have coverage from every region to create divisions that make sense regionally while allowing you to get creative with the basketball / football schedules.

Edit: imagine a conference basketball tournament that includes UNC, Kansas, Duke, Baylor, Arizona and UH. That's a powerhouse ncaa preview tournament most years years those are almost always all top seeds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.