Football
Sponsored by

Big 12 is expected to hire Tyrel Kirkham as the league's first-ever Chief Marketing O

1,048 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BaylorGrad09
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Bear2014
I guess this is good? There is talks of the potential acc/big12/pac12-2-? merger. Any substance of that rumor?
PartyBear
Bear2014 said:

I guess this is good? There is talks of the potential acc/big12/pac12-2-? merger. Any substance of that rumor?
Is the rumor from back in July? The XII has already shot down merging with the P12. I dont know if merging the ACC into that concept makes it alot more attractive to the XII or not. But that would be about a 36 school conference minus potentially a couple from the ACC that might and I emphasize might be invited to one of the big 2. Either way that is way too huge of a conference. So I would say probably not true.
Bear2014
Bear2014
PartyBear said:

Bear2014 said:

Is the rumor from back in July? The XII has already shot down merging with the P12. I dont know if merging the ACC into that concept makes it alot more attractive to the XII or not. But that would be about a 36 school conference minus potentially a couple from the ACC that might and I emphasize might be invited to one of the big 2. Either way that is way too huge of a conference. So I would say probably not true.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34651932/sources-acc-administrators-had-informal-discussions-possible-pac-12-big-12-additions-merger

"nothing is imminent," but ive seen this floating around. Maybe it is from the summer, but this popped up on a few news sites a few days ago
PartyBear
I didnt read the story but I think the XII has already said merging with the P12 remnant is a money loser for the members of the new XII so that isnt happening.
BearFan33
I'm very happy for new leadership in the B12 in whatever form that takes.
parch
The fact that it took us until 2022 to hire a CMO, and Bowlsby never even attempted it, is super disappointing. In this landscape it's a non-negotiable. But better late than never.
BaylorGrad09
First, from the article

Quote:

While multiple league sources said no team outside of Notre Dame offers a clear and substantial revenue boost via expansion, there could be other factors to consider, with the ACC hoping to head off any potential moves by the Big 12 or Pac-12 that could jeopardize its place as the clear No. 3 conference.

Is the ACC really the clear #3 conference? Someone really thinks that?

Second, combining the ACC - Big12 - PAC12 does something college football broke back in the 80s which is the collective bargaining of lots of teams together. It could let you rebuild college football in an image of what used to be interesting, regional matchups. The SEC and Big10 don't generate enough content for espn and Fox by themselves, so a large coast to coast conference could make sense. It would also get a very large vote at any playoff negotiations simply becuase of the number of schools (and people) it represents.

The coalition would be very hard to maintain because of its size, but getting those regional rivalries, especially for the non revenue sports, along with the national spotlight style games throughout the season could be interesting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.