Football
Sponsored by

Matt Campbell

4,596 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bossbowman
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Remember when he was on most of the coaching vacancies?
CorsicanaBear
He may shortly be experiencing another coaching vacancy.
boognish_bear
saabing bear
Hope he doesn't make the cover of SI.
bear2be2
CorsicanaBear said:

Iowa State would be really stupid to run Matt Campbell off. He's literally the best coach in their history.

That said, he does have some things to figure out after the last two years. Their record in one-score games over that stretch is Scott Frost-esque.
historian
It seems that Brock Purdy was the key to much of Iowa State's success in recent years. That's kinda sad considering his gaffe prone he could be.
Johnny Bear
historian said:

It seems that Brock Purdy was the key to much of Iowa State's success in recent years. That's kinda sad considering his gaffe prone he could be.

He also rarely showed up for big games.
Aberzombie1892
historian said:

Like Baylor, they lost some great players to the NFL (QB, TE, RB, and DE), so no should have been surprised that they (like us) struggled this year. It's amazing that they still fielded an elite defense in spite of their offensive issues.
ScottS
Dale is available
Noname
I hope he stays around. I do not recall reading anything negative about Mat Campbell (except with respect to some losses). He is a good coach, a class act as an individual, and he had a rotten year.

On the other hand, i felt the same way about Luke Fickell, looking forward to having him in the B12, and was surprised he bailed for the Wisconsin job.
hodedofome
Noname said:

I hope he stays around. I do not recall reading anything negative about Mat Campbell (except with respect to some losses). He is a good coach, a class act as an individual, and he had a rotten year.

On the other hand, i felt the same way about Luke Fickell, looking forward to having him in the B12, and was surprised he bailed for the Wisconsin job.

His behavior on the sidelines has always been classy.

/s
william
ScottS said:

Dale is available
a great man.

still hoping we can somehow finagle The Dale Bowl - aka Weedeater Bowl 2022.

Baylor vs ECU.

- KKM

>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
boognish_bear
Harrison Bergeron
I was thinking the same thing. Rough year for the Cyclones.
Smashmouth
That "Husker's" logic doesn't make sense if they eliminated coaches based on losing records in the 2nd half of the season since they hired Rhule. I wonder how many of those coaches mentioned would have taken the job?
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
tmcats
bear2be2 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Iowa State would be really stupid to run Matt Campbell off. He's literally the best coach in their history.

That said, he does have some things to figure out after the last two years. Their record in one-score games over that stretch is Scott Frost-esque.
You're obviously a youngster writing nonsense. Johnny Majors coached at ISU before going to Tennessee. Earl Bruce was there before taking the Ohio State job.
ABC BEAR
tmcats said:

bear2be2 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

You're obviously a youngster writing nonsense. Johnny Majors coached at ISU before going to Tennessee. Earl Bruce was there before taking the Ohio State job.
Johnny Majors also had assistant coaches who were better than Campbell.....Jimmy Johnson, Jackie Sherrill and Joe Avezzano come to mind.

Pete Carroll was an assistant there under Earle Bruce
PartyBear
Mack Brown was OC there for someone long ago.
boykin_spaniel
Johnny Majors had one winning season at ISU. No coach has had as much success at ISU than Campbell. Top 10 finish and won the Fiesta Bowl.
Beartrack
Noname said:

Fickell seemed to have Cinci where he would hope to one day have Wisc.
vanillabryce
historian said:

And Breece Hall.
Stefano DiMera
And Bill Bellichek was with the Jets...but that doesn't mean he's the best coach in Jets history.
historian
Good point. It seems Campbell always had a dynamic RB he could count on.
boognish_bear
FLBear5630
bear2be2 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

I can't help but think that time are changing. What worked and was "good coaching" 5 years ago, may not be successful going forward with the NIL and Portal. They are monumental shifts that reward actions different than what the 60+ generation value in coaching. Looks like a Coach with good connections, a couple of big time booster/NIL contributors and an XBOX offfense can field a pretty good team without developing anyone. Plug and play. Blue Bloods won't have a problem, it will be the BU, ISU's, and such.

Going to be very interesting to see where the Matt Campbells, Aranda, and others of this generation that are "developmental" guys end up. Let's see how it works out.
Stefano DiMera
I think the blue bloods too . watching Nick Saban on the broadcast of the championship game he looked tired as hell . part of it I'm sure was the frustration of his team that was his most penalized and undisciplined
.but a lot of it is the changes in the landscape...NIL.. and transfer portal.

I predicted on a thread last off season that he could retire..I may have been premature but I don't think it's far off.
FLBear5630
Stefano DiMera said:

I think the blue bloods too . watching Nick Saban on the broadcast of the championship game he looked tired as hell . part of it I'm sure was the frustration of his team that was his most penalized and undisciplined
.but a lot of it is the changes in the landscape...NIL.. and transfer portal.

I predicted on a thread last off season that he could retire..I may have been premature but I don't think it's far off.
It is changing, it is not even the HS coach connections on the portal, who does the player talk to from his old neighborhood? That is who is calling the shots on the portal stuff. I can see the guys like Saban struggling, they are being asked to cater to players that have done nothing at the college level. I am not sure his model works there, it didn't in Miami where he had to deal with pros. NIL is making these kids pros.
bossbowman
This would be like RC Slocum & aTm, ISU would be incredibly stupid to run off MC
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.