Football
Sponsored by

Transfer Portal

19,996 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Russell Gym
Noname
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"According to a report, multiple "big-name" college quarterbacks are considering a transfer this offseason.

The NCAA's Transfer Portal is expected to be very active.

"Multiple big name starting QBs are rumored to be looking at the portal," Adam Friedman of Rivals.com wrote."

The portal opens December 5. It would be great if the Bears can beef up in the other areas of need as well.
Married A Horn
What needs would be priority for us in the transfer portal? Not QB I say - Drones and Novasod will be here.

Not RB.

Linebackers?
BellCountyBear
Married A Horn said:

What needs would be priority for us in the transfer portal? Not QB I say - Drones and Novasod will be here.

Not RB.

Linebackers?
QB coach.
Married A Horn
Lol. punk.
Hob Howelll
Married A Horn said:

Not RB.

Linebackers?

whoever loses the quarterback battle (assuming there is one) between shapen and Drones is probably hitting the portal themselves. That would leave us with two scholarship quarterbacks, one of them being a true freshman. Not ideal. I think that trying to find a great athlete at the quarterback position in the transfer portal would be a wise move.
atomicblast
Married A Horn said:

Not RB.

Linebackers?
Need WRs that are studs, our passing game is WEAK.
Noname
That is putting a lot of faith in a quarterback we have not seen, and a true freshman (assuming he keeps the commitment).

Also, it seems the defense was slashed on a fairly regular basis. I am sure there are players being developed, but it does not hurt to see who is available and maybe they can jump start the defense.

Also, aren't most of the starters on the O Line seniors? I know in college ball every year requires some amount of rebuilding, but this year's team just seemed to lack a spark.
BellCountyBear
Married A Horn said:

Lol. punk.
Lol. Sorry you're stupid enough to marry a horn.
parch
We could absolutely use a transfer QB in to push Drones and Shapen, and there should be some pretty good ones going around. Novosad will probably redshirt, typically only the bluest of blue chip can't-miss guys in very specific situations (read: Arch Manning) are kept clean with the expectation of starting minutes right out of HS.

Nick Evers at OU will probably hit the portal eventually with #1 overall Jackson Arnold coming in and Gabriel already there. He'd be a great get. Hank Bachmeier has been in the portal for a minute already and would be an interesting look, has two eligibility years left and a mountain of yards and TDs already from Boise. Played in a similar system and can sling it. The Creswell kid at UNC is very good and lost the job to the best QB in college football, he has QB1 potential.

We're not going to have both Shapen and Drones on this roster on Week 1 in 2023. If we don't get a transfer in, we're looking at holding the redshirt and having a true frosh as our QB2 and someone off the street behind him. Not ideal.
boognish_bear
Married A Horn said:

Not RB.

Linebackers?

LBs for sure. We've got to get speed back at that position.
PartyBear
It could be there are strength and conditioning issues at play as well.
TeamPlayer
I'm thinking Spencer Sanders enters the portal. Haynes King, Card. I wonder if Duggan will return to TCU, then Chandler Morris could leave. Tech seems to play a ton of QB's.

I happened to catch the UF - FSU game the other night and wow, the Travis kid at FSU is a real player. Apparently Rhule was close to getting him but went to Louisville instead first.

I'd like to see us pick up a WR or two, maybe a couple of defensive guys.
BUGWBBear
Defensive backs. Those that do not require a road map.

A real punter.
atomicblast
TeamPlayer said:

I'm thinking Spencer Sanders enters the portal. Haynes King, Card. I wonder if Duggan will return to TCU, then Chandler Morris could leave. Tech seems to play a ton of QB's.

I happened to catch the UF - FSU game the other night and wow, the Travis kid at FSU is a real player. Apparently Rhule was close to getting him but went to Louisville instead first.

I'd like to see us pick up a WR or two, maybe a couple of defensive guys.
Duggan should declare this year. His draft stock is the highest it can go.
Mothballs
atomicblast said:

Married A Horn said:

Not RB.

Linebackers?

Our starting QB is slow at processing information and has jelly for an arm. For all we know our WRs might be All-World
241Bear
After a 6-6 season, what positions couldn't use an upgrade? Agree that RB is probably the strongest group. Additional time in the weight room sounds like a good idea, too.
Johnny Bear
Mothballs said:

atomicblast said:

Married A Horn said:

Not RB.

Linebackers?

Our starting QB is slow at processing information and has jelly for an arm. For all we know our WRs might be All-World

Given the number of times this season Shapen had plenty of time to throw and couldn't find an open receiver by the 3rd check down or so, I'd say it's a safe bet our WRs aren't "all-world". How much of that is due to youth & inexperience and how much is due to just being currently weak at the position is the question.
Mothballs
Johnny Bear said:

Mothballs said:

atomicblast said:

Married A Horn said:

Not RB.

Linebackers?

Given the number of times this season Shapen had plenty of time to throw and couldn't find an open receiver by the 3rd check down or so, I'd say it's a safe bet our WRs aren't "all-world". How much of that is due to youth & inexperience and how much is due to just being currently weak at the position is the question.

His check down progressions aren't anything to write home about either. No matter how good your OL is (or isn't) you only have so much time to get the ball out before you run for your life and running isn't in his playbook.
LIB,MR BEARS
Married A Horn said:

Not RB.

Linebackers?
LB and WR maybe some depth on the lines
parch
This was the weakest WR group in 20 years, since before the Zieger/Shelton era - Shapen deserves his criticism but look at our routes, the amount of times he had zero uncovered options was shocking. We're about to lose 4/5's of our o-line. And we're losing Doyle while both Randolph and Jones were mediocre disappointments at LB.

I would start at those three positions in the portal and build out from there.
IowaBear
Whatever happened to the LB last name White who transferred from LSU? Was he really not good enough to play ahead of Brooks Miller?? We HAVE to get faster at LB we also have to find guys who can rush the passer
Doc Holliday
Strength and conditioning needs an overhaul.

RBs, secondary and WRs all need to be replaced with better talent.
blackie
The Hound said:

Married A Horn said:

Not RB.

Linebackers?

whoever loses the quarterback battle (assuming there is one) between shapen and Drones is probably hitting the portal themselves. That would leave us with two scholarship quarterbacks, one of them being a true freshman. Not ideal. I think that trying to find a great athlete at the quarterback position in the transfer portal would be a wise move.
So, if you bring in another from the portal then the other between Shapen and Drones goes to the portal and you still have 2 under this reasoning since you think that both of them would leave if not the starter?
parch
I disagree completely on RBs and somewhat on DBs. Reese is the truth and will be an extremely productive RB1 for years. Statistically he was one of the best freshman RBs in America. If Qualan can continue improving as well, that's an upper echelon 1-2 fire and ice combo in any conference. Add a healthy Sqwirl as the x-factor and our RB room looks good next year.

DBs are a little softer, but we have a pretty good core coming back, and I'd argue our regression in pass D in 2022 came mostly from our utter lack of pass rush combined with underachieving upperclassmen who are leaving (Morgan, Walcott, Milton). Snaxx Johnson, Devin Lemear, AJ McCarty, Devin Neal coming back... not all-world but also not even close to our biggest problem.
blackie
parch said:

I disagree completely on RBs and somewhat on DBs. Reese is the truth and will be an extremely productive RB1 for years. Statistically he was one of the best freshman RBs in America. If Qualan can continue improving as well, that's an upper echelon 1-2 fire and ice combo in any conference. Add a healthy Sqwirl as the x-factor and our RB room looks good next year.

DBs are a little softer, but we have a pretty good core coming back, and I'd argue our regression in pass D in 2022 came mostly from our utter lack of pass rush combined with underachieving upperclassmen who are leaving (Morgan, Walcott, Milton). Snaxx Johnson, Devin Lemear, AJ McCarty, Devin Neal coming back... not all-world but also not even close to our biggest problem.
I thought I had heard that Sqwirl participated in senior day???????
PawpaBear
I actually believe the WR/RB room will be okay.

RB need to work on their evasion and cuts to make Lb and safety miss. Instead I find we often just run into the tackler.

WR room had emergence over the year with Josh Cameron, Hal Presley and Monterey being decent. I think coaches need to have these guys run cleaner routes and build more complicated route trees so that DB can't cover so easily.

TE Ben sims did not play to the level I thought he was capable of. I actually think we took a massive hit in the pass catch game when Drake Dabney went out. I think Kelsey Johnson is a wonderful blocker but he did not flash like Dabney in yards after catch.

LB has to get better. Too many times we did not set the edge, missed tackles, slow in coverage giving up midfield passes in every game.

DB improved over the year, but running two high safety hurt us a lot in our pass rush and honestly 3rd down completions. Our strategy was to take away the big play and make teams have to execute over and over again. The problem is our 3rd down and whatever was so bad that teams kept moving the chains. I also think the number of busted coverages between safety and CB was way to high.

The O-line struggled with exotic blitzes like scissors during pass protection. I would say they were average in the big 12 for pass protection. Our rushing blocking was top 3-4 in the big 12. Where Texas beat is was their RB make people miss and go from 5 yards to 20+ or a TD.

DL I honestly think we're stretched too thin with double high safety and lacked numbers. It seemed like their job was more about containment of the QB and run.

QB play needs to improve either by getting more accurate passes, or getting someone who is multiple and a true dual threat.
parch
He's a fifth-year junior with no serious draft prospects so I can't imagine why he wouldn't be back next year.
boykin_spaniel
In college you can never have to many linemen. The game is won in the trenches more often than not. In our losses we lost on at least one side of the trenches.

Linebackers rarely popped on tape like last year. A transfer to at least push the returning guys wouldn't hurt.

Running back was a bright spot. Yes, they occasionally missed a read but not a lot of experience. They should be a leading unit next year.

Receivers were a bit of a letdown, not necessarily unexpected. Games where someone would step up but everyone else quiet. They should have more consistency next year but adding a proven pass catcher in the portal couldn't hurt.

Secondary was a weakness but played some young and inexperienced guys so it wasn't a shock and they weren't helped by a lack of pass rush. Adding a top G5 corner looking to prove himself at the P5 level wouldn't hurt or a speedy safety to help makeup for miscues on the backend.

Quarterback. I'm fine rolling with Shapen, Drones, and Novosad but as everyone knows in this day and age Shapen or Drones could depart for greener pastures if they lose the job. Bringing in someone with starting experience who isn't a huge threat for the job but could play if needed and serve as a de facto assistant coach could only help.
LIB,MR BEARS
Doc Holliday said:

Strength and conditioning needs an overhaul.

RBs, secondary and WRs all need to be replaced with better talent.

RB's? Really?
LIB,MR BEARS
blackie said:

parch said:

I thought I had heard that Sqwirl participated in senior day???????
He did. Other have participated and returned.
parch
PartyBear
Hopefully Aranda and staff really work the portal.
wongobear
They've been successful convincing O-lineman to come here in past seasons. I would expect them to get some again this offseason. We have 2 coming back, but the rest of the depth chart was a lot of underclassmen.

Source: 2022 Baylor Bears Football Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

Unless we have someone who redshirtted this season, we do need another punter on the roster
Johnny Bear
IowaBear said:

Whatever happened to the LB last name White who transferred from LSU? Was he really not good enough to play ahead of Brooks Miller?? We HAVE to get faster at LB we also have to find guys who can rush the passer

I have the same question. There was a lot of excitement about his transfer. Is it an injury situation, or was it a redshirt year, or has he just been a major disappointment?
KajunKarlsdad
Linemen on both sides has to be a priority, then LB's. A couple long tall WR's would be great as well as some DB's. Those coming back need to hit the weight room really hard. The portal is going to be crazy with kids not wanting to "earn their time" and NIL money up for grabs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.