Football
Sponsored by

Former Panthers coach Rhule says he's 'not bitter,' time to set record straight

1,658 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stefano DiMera
TomW
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd say from this he hasn't lost his interest in coaching in the NFL.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article269466287.html
Link
bear2be2
His interest isn't going to be the issue. It's going to be teams' interest in him.

It's really hard for a failed college coach to get a second chance in the NFL. It would be an almost impossible sell to your fan base.

Hopefully one day Matt Rhule realizes he's way better suited to be a college coach. He can have a much bigger impact and more success at that level.
BBWCBear
bear2be2 said:

His interest isn't going to be the issue. It's going to be teams' interest in him.

It's really hard for a failed college coach to get a second chance in the NFL. It would be an almost impossible sell to your fan base.

Hopefully one day Matt Rhule realizes he's way better suited to be a college coach. He can have a much bigger impact and more success at that level.
I still need to be convinced he's "right" for the long haul. All his stops as HC on the college level have been short tenured. Both were raising the team/school from the ashes. He was very fortunate, at BU, in being able to acquire special "Texas " people for his staff and getting recruiting rolling. BU was a dumpster fire and needed every bit of the infusion it got.

I've seen folks in the business world that were good at making an immediate impact in growth, production, etc, but not for long periods. We'll see...
TomW
Agree generally. I think his interest and ambition for the NFL falls outside where he can have a massive impact. He's not perfect at all, lots of flaws as we all have, but his trajectory in college football sure seems to be at minimum where he's had success and assuming his character is as he speaks it to be where he can really impact young athletes lives. Also, I think the long-term potential, if successful, of running a major college program would be more fulfilling than the nomadic life of NFL coaches. With young-ish kids I'd think he'd be better suited all around in college. One way or another he has set up his family with financial security. I'm sure the stress of the Carolina situation has not been fun, but long run, he can set up a good run potentially at Nebraska or maybe longer term at Penn State as that likely is his hope inside.
Porteroso
He will definitely get a big college job. Almost definitely not get another NFL job. He flopped hard and really pissed off his team's fan base with lies and his typical bs. You can get away with that if you win in college, the best spewing forth. We forgave him. But not in the NFL.
Stranger
Porteroso said:

He will definitely get a big college job. Almost definitely not get another NFL job. He flopped hard and really pissed off his team's fan base with lies and his typical bs. You can get away with that if you win in college, the best spewing forth. We forgave him. But not in the NFL.

I think it's accurate to say that most Baylor fans have not forgiven or forgotten little Matty.
I'm a Bearbacker
Hob Howelll
He is where God is calling to be until the next prestigious job comes along
Mitch Henessey
Stranger said:

Porteroso said:

I think it's accurate to say that most Baylor fans have not forgiven or forgotten little Matty.
Forgiven what? He didn't wrong us. He just left. The only thing that can be remotely accurate as a perceived slight is that he probably wasn't all-in for the 2019 Sugar Bowl and his recruiting focus had slipped for the 2020 class. If that's all we have against the guy, I still think we owe him a debt of gratitude, given the ****show he walked into here.
CorsicanaBear
Forgive and forget. That's what they always say. I can't say I've done either.

I haven't forgiven him for losing to Liberty and going 1-11.

But I also haven't forgotten 2019 11-3 with a Big 12 title game appearance and a Sugar Bowl appearance.
drahthaar
I don't care. Ceased to care 3 years ago.
No ill will toward Matt who led us thru some tough times while applying for the NFL. He had some success we didn't expect and left some players in development who panned out well.
Jack Bauer
Stefano DiMera
In related news..Jeff Nixon interviewed today for the OC position of the Cowboys.. current Carolina OC and former Temple and Baylor OC...

Jerry announced today that McCarthy will call plays.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.