Football
Sponsored by

Should we hire Kliff Kingsbury?

6,757 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Mitch Henessey
RegentCoverup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Discuss.
GoodOleBaylorLine
No

End of discussion
cowboycwr
I would say it depends on what we are hiring him for. If it is for some sort of offensive analyst similar to what UT did with GP then I say go for it. It helped them. It seems to work for Alabama with all the guys they hire. I don't think he is toxic and would be bad for our school like a Petrino or Freeze type.

but as an OC or QB coach I am not sure we should hire him there.
Robert Wilson
In whatever capacity we could get him besides HC, yes

Would massively upgrade our recruiting and depth at the QB position immediately. Instant credibility there.
Oso Pardo
As an OC...I think we could do a lot worse! I don't remember his offense being what killed him at TT, it was the lack of emphasis on defense. They always seemed to put points on the board, at least that's how I remember it anyway. Combine his offensive philosophies with CDA's defensive mindset and we could possibly make some fireworks.

Not sure if he would be a good developer of QBs or not. He had some very talented guys to begin with so I don't know if he helped them grow or if they just drove themselves to get better. Never really heard much mentioned about this.

This opinion right here is probably why I was never a coach...LOL!
Golden Helmet
LOL

he's not coming to Baylor
GoldenBear007
Should we hire someone with a losing record in college and losing record in NFL. Hmm….
Daveisabovereproach
As an offensive coordinator and/or quarterback coach? Absolutely, that would be a no-brainer. He has shown the ability to recruit and develop quarterbacks, whether you like the guy or not. As head coach? Na
Mitch Henessey
Not since Thomas Edison and the light bulb has one man gotten so much credit for something he had very little hand in creating as Kliff Kingsbury gets for "developing" Pat Mahomes.
GoodOleBaylorLine
Coach Bro's record with Mahomes, possibly the best QB prospect in a generation.

4-8
7-6
5-7

Won exactly nothing as a team.

Hard pass.
BearlyBeloved
Wikipedia says KK's contract at Tech included "creative control over the team's uniforms."

Knowing how important our uni's are to all of us on this board, I say that's the mindset that we want on Baylor's coaching staff!

Show us the bling!

Golden Helmet
Depends on the thread starter and or respondents around here…but most are certainly wiling to blow in the wind to come to whatever conclusions they were already dialed in on related to how important Coaching is.

I'm sure Pats Jr High coach deserves all the credit for his development….
Golden Helmet
They had zero defense…certainly didn't struggle for offensive production.
Aberzombie1892
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Discuss.

I would be genuinely shocked if Baylor could get him as a QB coach, but that would be the dream - no OC, only QB coach.
Yogi
Sign Alan Bowman and hire Kingsbury.

boognish_bear
GoodOleBaylorLine said:

4-8
7-6
5-7

Hard pass.
In 2015 in Mahomes second year TT was 2nd nationally in Scoring Offense (BU was #1). In 2016 TT was 5th nationally in Scoring Offense.

He may not be a realistic candidate.....but I would take him as OC in a flash.
Mitch Henessey
boognish_bear said:

GoodOleBaylorLine said:

4-8
7-6
5-7

Hard pass.
In 2015 in Mahomes second year TT was 2nd nationally in Scoring Offense (BU was #1). In 2016 TT was 5th nationally in Scoring Offense.

How much of that was having an all-time prodigy at QB, and how much was Kingsbury, though? I'd argue that you should be lighting up scoreboards with Pat Mahomes, even if you or I were coaching him.

His Cardinals offenses weren't anything to write home about.
Stefano DiMera
Lord ..do you guys honestly think someone who has been a HC in NFL whether failed or not is gonna take a coordinator position in college. The guy admittedly hates the recruiting process....OC in NFL possibly..yes..

There were people on here talking about Rhule taking an OC position in college because he failed in the NFL..lol.
boognish_bear
Mitch Henessey said:

boognish_bear said:

GoodOleBaylorLine said:

4-8
7-6
5-7

Hard pass.

How much of that was having an all-time prodigy at QB, and how much was Kingsbury, though? I'd argue that you should be lighting up scoreboards with Pat Mahomes, even if you or I were coaching him.

His Cardinals offenses weren't anything to write home about.
The 2 years after Mahomes left they were 23rd (top 17th percentile) and 16th (top 12th percentile) in Scoring Offense respectively.

He pulled that off with the following QBs: Nic Shimonek, Jett Duffey, McClane Carter, Alan Bowman.

In 2018 Alan Bowman set a B12 passing record throwing for 605 yards against UH. Bowman could not stay healthy that year dealing with a collapsed lung and leg issues.

bear2be2
Mitch Henessey said:

Not since Thomas Edison and the light bulb has one man gotten so much credit for something he had very little hand in creating as Kliff Kingsbury gets for "developing" Pat Mahomes.
Kingsbury also had a hand in developing Case Keenum at Houston, Johnny Manziel at A&M and several other quality QBs Tech.

Say what you want about Kliff as a head coach, but the guy knows how to develop quarterbacks and coach a potent offense.

That said, I don't think his offensive philosophies mesh well at all with what we do defensively, so the odds of him ending up at Baylor in any capacity are too small to even warrant a discussion.
bear2be2
Aberzombie1892 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Discuss.

I would be genuinely shocked if Baylor could get him as a QB coach, but that would be the dream - no OC, only QB coach.
It wouldn't make much sense to bring an Air Raid guy in to coach QBs in a wide zone offense based primarily on the power run game and play-action/rollout passing.

And Kliff will get an OC job or G5 head coaching job. He's not dropping down to the position coach ranks after being a head coach in the Big 12 and NFL.
Jack Bauer
I doubt he is leaving the NFL...
muddybrazos
Hire him today as a QB coach and offensive analyst. He coached Kyler & Johnny football so surely he could teach Shapen how to hit the broad side of a barn and not slide 2 yards short of the sticks.
Aberzombie1892
bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Discuss.

It wouldn't make much sense to bring an Air Raid guy in to coach QBs in a wide zone offense based primarily on the power run game and play-action/rollout passing.

And Kliff will get an OC job or G5 head coaching job. He's not dropping down to the position coach ranks after being a head coach in the Big 12 and NFL.

I agree he wouldn't take it, but I would be reluctant to give him anything else.
Jack Bauer
I see 3 paths for him
1) NFL
2) HC at P5 school (which seems unlikely this year)
3) OC at "elite" "blue-blood" P5 school

I give him 0.0001% of joining Baylor.
boykin_spaniel
If Kingsbury was willing to be an analyst or QB coach of course I'd take him. NFL head coach who worked with Mahomes in college and broke NCAA records himself? That would definitely open up a couple doors in recruiting quarterbacks. Realistically he will be working for ESPN/Fox/CBS next year. Maybe join Saban. Saban would probably love to have him.
bear2be2
Aberzombie1892 said:

bear2be2 said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Discuss.

I agree he wouldn't take it, but I would be reluctant to give him anything else.
He'd be a good offensive coordinator.
ScottS
Did he just get a big golden parachute?
cowboycwr
Stefano DiMera said:

Lord ..do you guys honestly think someone who has been a HC in NFL whether failed or not is gonna take a coordinator position in college. The guy admittedly hates the recruiting process....OC in NFL possibly..yes..

There were people on here talking about Rhule taking an OC position in college because he failed in the NFL..lol.

It happens.

Bill O'Brien (granted it was an OC job at Bama).

Kiffin is sort of the same after having two failed HC jobs in college after the NFL.

Petrino (different circumstances granted)

Greg Schiano did it.

Dennis Erikson

So it is rare but is not 100% unheard of.
Stefano DiMera
Rumor is he's headed to Rams if McVay returns as head coach.

But there's rumors McVay may step down..just got married..his hot model wife is Ukrainian and has relatives still there .his famous football grandfather just died .and more importantly he has a boatload of $30 mill dollar offers from the TV networks and streaming services
Tempus Edax Rerum
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Discuss.
Haha! You're funny!
cowboycwr
Stefano DiMera said:

Rumor is he's headed to Rams if McVay returns as head coach.

But there's rumors McVay may step down..just got married..his hot model wife is Ukrainian and has relatives still there .his famous football grandfather just died .and more importantly he has a boatload of $30 mill dollar offers from the TV networks and streaming services
I think he will stay in the NFL. I think he lasted long enough to become a retread NFL coach for the next 10-15 years like so many others do.

I only started my comment as a hypothetical of should we hire him for our staff. Even if I believed we never had a shot at him.
robby44
Stefano DiMera said:

Hilarious
Yea ol Kliff just can't wait to work with the 7th best QB in the Big 12
Pecos 45
I still want to know why Bobby Petrino can get an NCAA coaching job while Art Briles can't.
I'll hang up and listen.
(And maybe start a new thread.)
“If you have a job without aggravations, you don’t have a job.”
Malcolm Forbes
whitetrash
Pecos 45 said:

I still want to know why Bobby Petrino can get an NCAA coaching job while Art Briles can't.
I'll hang up and listen.
(And maybe start a new thread.)
Because it's ok if you diddle volleyball players, so long as people who report to you don't diddle volleyball players.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.