Football
Sponsored by

Baylor gets another QB transfer

11,463 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by saabing bear
BearlyBeloved
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Northern Arizona's R.J. Martinez, native of Austin and attended Westwood High.

Baylor lands commitment from former Northern Arizona QB RJ Martinez via NCAA Transfer Portal - On3

In two seasons he passed for 4,598 yards and 30 touchdowns with 260 rushing yards and 13 rushing touchdowns. The team was 8-14 during that span.

bear2be2
Is he a preferred walk-on, I assume? Either way, this is a nice, experienced player to add to our QB room.
vanillabryce
Awesome news.
Jayman1963
bear2be2 said:

Is he a preferred walk-on, I assume? Either way, this is a nice, experienced player to add to our QB room.
The story I read said he gives Baylor three scholarship QBs
bear2be2
Jayman1963 said:

bear2be2 said:

It's surprising that we would offer one of few remaining scholarships to a guy who went 8-14 at the FCS level, but there may be more to that story than meets the eye.
No Quarterback
The thread title of the premium board says he is a walk on.
Jayman1963
bear2be2 said:

Jayman1963 said:

bear2be2 said:

It's surprising that we would offer one of few remaining scholarships to a guy who went 8-14 at the FCS level, but there may be more to that story than meets the eye.
Jayman1963
Jayman1963 said:

bear2be2 said:

Jayman1963 said:

bear2be2 said:

https://247sports.com/college/baylor/Article/RJ-Martinez-commits-to-Baylor-bears-football-recruiting-transfer-portal-203273300/

Sounds like NAU was pretty bad in 2022 but he still had some nice games. Pretty impressive HS career.
bear2be2
No Quarterback said:

The thread title of the premium board says he is a walk on.
This would make more sense. He's cut out of the Luke Anthony mold.
boykin_spaniel
NAU was bad. Doesn't mean he is bad. Archie Manning was respected in his day for putting up decent numbers with some horrible Saints teams.

Martinez gets to come in and compete for the job. 3 years of eligibility left including an unused redshirt. If he's a walk on could've been promised a graduate assistant role upon graduation or something of the like.
LitigiOSO
Jayman1963 said:

Jayman1963 said:

bear2be2 said:

Jayman1963 said:

bear2be2 said:

https://247sports.com/college/baylor/Article/RJ-Martinez-commits-to-Baylor-bears-football-recruiting-transfer-portal-203273300/

Sounds like NAU was pretty bad in 2022 but he still had some nice games. Pretty impressive HS career.
As per NAU Website: "Most memorable moment of his career was tying Texas state records set by Kyler Murray and Johnny Manziel."
LitigiOSO
B.A. '92, J.D. '95
Reverend
I don't think we could have expected better for the third guy in the QB room. It looks like he had pretty good stats on a pretty bad team.
boykin_spaniel
Appears Gebbia from Oregon St was the first choice and he went elsewhere so we got a two FCS starter. NCAA starting experience and a record breaking Texas high school career? I'll take him
bear2be2
boykin_spaniel said:

NAU was bad. Doesn't mean he is bad. Archie Manning was respected in his day for putting up decent numbers with some horrible Saints teams.

Martinez gets to come in and compete for the job. 3 years of eligibility left including an unused redshirt. If he's a walk on could've been promised a graduate assistant role upon graduation or something of the like.
I'm not saying Martinez is bad. But Luke Anthony came with better credentials, and he was taken as a preferred walk-on. I was just surprised at the prospect of using a scholarship on such a player.

But it doesn't look like we have, so it's all moot.

I'm not trying to knock this kid at all. I'm glad to have him at Baylor. I hope he's good enough to compete for the job next year. If he is, it will mean we have a hell of a QB room.
bear2be2
boykin_spaniel said:

Appears Gebbia from Oregon St was the first choice and he went elsewhere so we got a two FCS starter. NCAA starting experience and a record breaking Texas high school career? I'll take him
This is exactly the type of kid I expected to end up with as our third QB. I was just curious to see whether he was taken as a walk-on or scholarship player.

Like you, I'm glad to have him on board. Sic 'em, RJ.
BellCountyBear
Johnny Bear
BellCountyBear said:

Yes, we do - if nothing else than to QB the scout team. Plus, as we found out in 2015 there are times when even 3 QBs aren't enough.
wongobear
He shows on this report as a transfer and part of our transfer portal class. I THOUGHT that meant these were all scholarship guys, but IDK

2023 College Football Transfer Portal (247sports.com)

ODB says unclear if on scholarship: PORTAL UPDATE: Baylor Lands NAU's RJ Martinez to Bolster QB Room - Our Daily Bears
GoodOleBaylorLine
Glad to have him.

He is 6' 185, which is probably his biggest negative. Seems like a gamer.
cowboycwr
Good news. Sounds like we have a solid QB room with experience at both back ups.
MrGolfguy
Welcome aboard RJ
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
BearFan33
I'm happy to have him for sure. We landed on our feet after being left at the altar.
Jayman1963
The QB room is looking much better today than it did a week and a half ago.
Cove Dawg
Solid pickup, by no means a "home run", but weren't many home run options remaining in the portal. Feel much better about the QB position than 2 weeks ago.
No Quarterback
With the modern transfer portal, the days of being able to stack up four-star quarterbacks like pancakes is probably over unless you have big time NIL money. The definition of what a stacked quarterback room is will become redefined
DAC
Definitely need the depth
DAC
No Quarterback said:

With the modern transfer portal, the days of being able to stack up four-star quarterbacks like pancakes is probably over unless you have big time NIL money. The definition of what a stacked quarterback room is will become redefined

True
wgeralds
shapen #3
saabing bear
wgeralds said:

shapen #3
Been wondering when he'll be looking at the portal.
Timbear
With all of the 3 and 4* QB's in the portal for the last 2 months, who are from P5 teams, this recruit by Aranda from an obscure FCS school is puzzling. I don't believe he has a star rating or a recruiting profile coming out of high school. I could be wrong. Are we this desperate? I'm sure he's a nice person from a good family, but is this the best Baylor can get? Our 2023 season depends on Sawyer. If this new QB can help Baylor win then great.
Bear8084
Timbear said:

With all of the 3 and 4* QB's in the portal for the last 2 months, who are from P5 teams, this recruit by Aranda from an obscure FCS school is puzzling. I don't believe he has a star rating or a recruiting profile coming out of high school. I could be wrong. Are we this desperate? I'm sure he's a nice person from a good family, but is this the best Baylor can get? Our 2023 season depends on Sawyer. If this new QB can help Baylor win then great.

Not that puzzling.
bear2be2
Timbear said:

We got our top portal target in Robertson. We're just looking for a third string QB with a little bit of experience. What exactly were you expecting? That Martinez won't cost a scholarship is a plus, not a minus.

He, like Luke Anthony last year, is the perfect third-string quarterback. He won't embarrass you in a pinch, and you can use that scholarship for a more pressing need. I struggle to see how anyone can find fault with this.
No Quarterback
Timbear said:

In the modern era, if you stockpile too much quarterback talent and don't have strong NIL backing, you'll essentially upset the jenga tower. I'm not saying we'll never do better than what we currently have, but I don't think you can expect much more than two highly recruited players on about even footing vying for the job with like a true freshman or transfer depth kind of player behind them.
boognish_bear
No Quarterback
It's a little off-topic, but a highlight reel isn't actually film. Film tells the bad along with the good. it's why you shouldn't look at Facebook as an indicator of how happy someone is
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.