Football
Sponsored by

Which new Big 12 stadium do you want to visit first?

2,781 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Redbrickbear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
contrario
I have a feeling UH will be pretty low on that list.
MrGolfguy
Cincy
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
DAC
Any other than Ohio
bear2be2
MrGolfguy said:

Cincy
BYU has the most picturesque surroundings, but Nippert looks like a great stadium.
MrGolfguy
bear2be2 said:

MrGolfguy said:

Cincy
BYU has the most picturesque surroundings, but Nippert looks like a great stadium.
It's one of the Top 5 oldest stadiums in CFB
IowaBear
Cincy, it's only an 8 hr drive for me from Ames. Planning to attend this fall
bear2be2
MrGolfguy said:

bear2be2 said:

MrGolfguy said:

Cincy
I didn't realize it was so old. They've done a great job of keeping it current. I know they had a huge renovation project recently.
whitetrash
Haven't been to a game, but I've been in Nippert. It's one of the steepest stands I've ever been in. Almost got vertigo just going down the steps. But it's kinda neat old place

UofC campus is horribly crowded, so the stadium is open all the time for student intramurals. It's also surrounded by other campus buildings about like Gallagher Iba overlooking Boone Pickens Stadium: the scoreboard is on the roof of the student activities center in one end zone, the music school overlooks the other end zone, the upper deck on the east backs up to a parking garage with the tennis courts on the roof, and the administration building is right behind the suites on the west side. Another parking garage a block away has the stands for the soccer field built into the side.
PartyBear
I also have not been to a game there but I have been there. It is interesting because though it is the size of McLane you do not really know you are next to football stadium when outside of it on campus or at least not next to a decent sized stadium. It is built somewhat down in the ground. You actually enter the stadium near the top of it or about at the concourse on the second level.
Stefano DiMera
They all look Division II to me except BYU.
ScottS
Most answering this on the twitter are saying BYU and with the mountains who could blame them. I will state reasons for the other 3 as I hope to visit all 4 of these stadiums at some point in my remaining time on this earth.

1)UCF-There are beaches near by which I would need to visit in the days before and after.
2)UH-Short drive vs the others. Easy to load up the family in the family station wagon and go.
3)Cincinnati-To go to somewhere new (it sounds like the experience there is good as the stadium is in the center of campus.
whitetrash
ScottS said:

Most answering this on the twitter are saying BYU and with the mountains who could blame them. I will state reasons for the other 3 as I hope to visit all 4 of these stadiums at some point in my remaining time on this earth.

1)UCF-There are beaches near by which I would need to visit in the days before and after.
2)UH-Short drive vs the others. Easy to load up the family in the family station wagon and go.
3)Cincinnati-To go to somewhere new (it sounds like the experience there is good as the stadium is in the center of campus.

FWIW it's probably no further from UH's stadium in the Third Ward to Galveston than it is from UCF's stadium on the NE side of Orlando to Cocoa Beach
BellCountyBear
Other than the game itself, we had a great trip to Provo last September.
bear2be2
ScottS said:

I enjoyed Cincinnati the one time I visited. I'm going back as part of a road trip to Detroit this summer. I didn't make it to UC's campus, though.
IowaBear
Spent 4 months living in Detroit while doing an internship with the Red Wings. Check out Greek Town if you haven't already
Knight Bear
whitetrash said:

ScottS said:

FWIW it's probably no further from UH's stadium in the Third Ward to Galveston than it is from UCF's stadium on the NE side of Orlando to Cocoa Beach

Yeah, that just made it really easy. Brown water or clear blue? Brown sand or white? 3rd Ward or Disney?
bear2be2
Knight Bear said:

whitetrash said:

ScottS said:

Yeah, that just made it really easy. Brown water or clear blue? Brown sand or white? 3rd Ward or Disney?
As someone who hates saltwater and sand (of all colors), I'll let you have both. Give me the mountains.
muddybrazos
UCF for me bc I can drive there in 5.5 hours. It will still be summer like weather in late Sept so maybe I will stay at one of the resorts and do some pool time. Hopefully no hurricane threats that week.
Redbrickbear
DAC said:

Any other than Ohio
Cincinnati is actually a real cool city.
Redbrickbear
bear2be2 said:

MrGolfguy said:

bear2be2 said:

MrGolfguy said:

Cincy
I didn't realize it was so old. They've done a great job of keeping it current. I know they had a huge renovation project recently.
Yea they have done a good job of continuing to maintain it and put money into the stadium.

• 2015 Capacity is increased to 40,000 with the addition of premium seating, new pavilion, additional restrooms, upgraded concessions and improved concourses.
  • 2016 New Turf, renovation of visitors locker room
  • 2017 Playing surface expanded from 110 yards by 70 yards to 115 yards by 75 yards for soccer and player safety, resulting in the loss of approximately 2,000 seats. The $2M project was paid for by FC Cincinnati. New Videoboard. The project was made possible by a gift from longtime UC supporters Carl and Martha Lindner. Longtime multimedia rights holder IMG College also contributed to the project.
  • 2021 When FC Cincinnati left for TQL Stadium, new turf was installed in Nippert Stadium
Quinton
BYU then Cincy. Houston will be a benefit as an easy way to see Bu play but its not a good "trip" if you're already in the region.
BluesBear
I have been to all 4 venues - the locals are great....make an effort to do one of the road trips..
Titus and Titus
BYU
Grumpy
The Cinci stadium is unique in its placement. It butts up against the College-Conservatory of Music, one of the finest conservatories in the country. In fact, the conservatory makes use of the endzone building during the week. For instance, opera theatrical technique classes are taught in a room overlooking the stadium. The student rec building is adjacent to the other side of the stadium.
Waco1947
gobears20 said:

Which stadium is which?
MrGolfguy
Top left - BYU
Top right - UCF
Bottom left - Cincy
Bottom right - Houston
boykin_spaniel
Have run the steps at Nippert(sounds like I'm not alone). It's in the middle of campus built into the backside of a hill so you can't see it until standing next to it or walking by. Cincinnati has some really cool areas. Spent 6 months for an extended work trip. Over-The-Rhine(OTR) is in between downtown and the university and has tons of cool breweries and eateries. Largest collection of Italianate architecture in the US. They've been refurbishing much of it after years of disrepair and the area is very walkable. Travel in a group after dark, area gets a little sketchy especially the northern side across Liberty.

Have driven by UH and BYU. BYU is high on my list to see a game. UH and UCF are meh
osogreen
Redbrickbear said:

DAC said:

Any other than Ohio
I worked there for about a year.

Lots to do in and around Cincy that time of year. Easy to get around.

The apple harvest should be underway in mid-October. For basketball junkies, Milan, Indiana, the home of the real "Hoosiers" is less than an hour west. Nice museum there.

We are contemplating a road trip there for the game.
Redbrickbear
osogreen said:

Redbrickbear said:

DAC said:

Any other than Ohio
I worked there for about a year.

Lots to do in and around Cincy that time of year. Easy to get around.

The apple harvest should be underway in mid-October. For basketball junkies, Milan, Indiana, the home of the real "Hoosiers" is less than an hour west. Nice museum there.

We are contemplating a road trip there for the game.
Its for sure one of the best cities in the entire Midwest.

And of course the best city in Ohio.
Media Bear
Prolly Nippert Stadium in Cincy. Just 2.5 hours from where I live (I go see Reds games fairly often ... when they're decent).

If I can get off work that weekend (cuz I work Saturdays), I'm gonna be there for sure this fall. I also make the occasional Bears appearance in Ames when my work schedule allows. Need to make a Morgantown trip (it's equally as close -- just northeast instead of northwest) -- just haven't been able to yet.

On aesthetics alone, it'd be BYU hands down. But I'd have to fly out there -- too far to drive unless I weave it into one of my western vacays (which I drive on purpose).
Redbrickbear
Media Bear said:

Prolly Nippert Stadium in Cincy. Just 2.5 hours from where I live (I go see Reds games fairly often ... when they're decent).

If I can get off work that weekend (cuz I work Saturdays), I'm gonna be there for sure this fall. I also make the occasional Bears appearance in Ames when my work schedule allows. Need to make a Morgantown trip (it's equally as close -- just northeast instead of northwest) -- just haven't been able to yet.

On aesthetics alone, it'd be BYU hands down. But I'd have to fly out there -- too far to drive unless I weave it into one of my western vacays (which I drive on purpose).
You live in Ohio or Kentucky?
Media Bear
Redbrickbear said:

Media Bear said:

Neither. I'm in the Hoosier State (for now) ...
Redbrickbear
Media Bear said:

Redbrickbear said:

Media Bear said:

Neither. I'm in the Hoosier State (for now) ...
Gotcha.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.