Football
Sponsored by

Gonzaga's candidacy, Pac-12's future, Texas and Oklahoma exit plans on deck with Big

1,658 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by historian
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
CorsicanaBear
No basketball only schools.
montypython
CorsicanaBear said:

No basketball only schools.
from a competitive standpoint, it puts the big 12 that much further ahead than everyone else (in basketball)

the only issue i see is the extra travel - and it would be substantial.
PartyBear
The XII is already ahead of everyone in hoops. What on earth would they contribute in revenue? Sounds like running down a rabbit trail and losing sight of the big picture to me.
ABC BEAR
I'm willing to wait and see what is proposed in the next phase for the XII. Yormark is several strides ahead of me in the smarts department and I am inclined to trust his instincts and follow the flow.
historian
Yormarck had been a good leader for the conference so far. Wait & see is a reasonable proposition.
BearlyBeloved
Require the Zags to field a football team. It guarantees a win for everyone else.

Use their presence in the Evergreen State to lure its other teams to join--Washington and Washington State.

Use that leverage to get Oregon and Oregon State to come along.

Now Arizona and Arizona State realize it's time to jump ship and join the fold.

Now the Big 12 becomes a super conference and is strong in every time zone.

OK, it's absurd, but so are a lot of other posts.

historian
Nice fantasy. Most likely none of it will ever happen.

And a 19 team conference would be a confusing mess!
BearlyBeloved
historian said:

Nice fantasy. Most likely none of it will ever happen.

And a 19-team conference would be a confusing mess!
As though everything were simple with a 10-team Big 12, then a 14-team Big 12, even if we then become a 12-team Big 12.

If we go to 19, I suggest we still keep the Big 12 name. Why not!!

Hotsauce
I say bring on the greatest college basketball super league that's ever been conceived! Give me Gonzaga, Nova, Arizona, and pray that some package of Syracuse/Louisville/Duke/UNC would eventually come along if the ACC folded.

I won't bother trying to work out the details in this post...

It's clear that CFB is moving to a B1G/SEC semi-pro super league, and if you ain't them then you're about to be a third rate football league.
CorsicanaBear
Third rate football leagues will make more money than great Basketball leagues with Basketball only teams. Its why the Big East cratered. Be a great BB league, that's ok. But everybody in the league has to play FCS football at a competitive level.

I'm concerned that Yormark is a basketball guy and that the solution to every problem looks like basketball to him.
Aliceinbubbleland
PartyBear said:

The XII is already ahead of everyone in hoops. What on earth would they contribute in revenue? Sounds like running down a rabbit trail and losing sight of the big picture to me.
Correct. I hope this is some writers thoughts and nothing close to opinion in the Commish's office.
ABC BEAR
Aliceinbubbleland said:

PartyBear said:

Correct. I hope this is some writers thoughts and nothing close to opinion in the Commish's office.
There have been at least two meetings between the commish and Gonzaga in recent months.
wongobear
I would think the outcome Yormark wants is to be able to guarantee Gonzaga as part of the Big XII basketball TV package. I bet there are several ways to do that without full membership. It could be that whoever has our BB rights also has to show a few WCC games and the WCC tournament - they will figure it out.

Less likely - another way to flip it would be if Gonzaga wants to somehow have an independent TV deal - they may want to guarantee a certain number of Big XII opponents and could share $$.
Aberzombie1892
BearlyBeloved said:

Require the Zags to field a football team. It guarantees a win for everyone else.

Use their presence in the Evergreen State to lure its other teams to join--Washington and Washington State.

Use that leverage to get Oregon and Oregon State to come along.

Now Arizona and Arizona State realize it's time to jump ship and join the fold.

Now the Big 12 becomes a super conference and is strong in every time zone.

OK, it's absurd, but so are a lot of other posts.

3 programs in the state of Washington in a single P5 would be bonkers.
BylrFan
Zags might entice AZ to join
DanaDane
I will be shocked if Yormark doesn't have Gonzaga signed, sealed and delivered into the Big 12 by this summer with an official start date of Fall 2025. They will be an incredible addition to an already strong basketball conference.
historian
Maybe, but the Big 12 is already far & above the best basketball conference in the country. We don't really need them to maintain that status. The 4 new members will help, especially Houston. What they can do for us is add another quality game for several of our members & that would be mutually beneficial. They don't need to be members of the conference to reach some sort of deal.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea but the more I think about it the less I see it in the interests of the conference.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.