Football
Sponsored by

Tech getting a lot of hype

4,999 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by historian
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
IowaBear
Kansas….
parch
It seems like Tech's hype is piled almost entirely on the back of that Ole Miss bowl game, when Shough went off. Otherwise their end of year run came against a broken Kansas team, an Iowa State team playing out the string, and a way down OU at home.

I think their wins O/U should probably be around where ours is. Talent-wise I just don't see them as a team to beat in 2023.
PartyBear
Reminiscent of pre season hype around Baylor during the first 3 preseasons of the 4 pre seasons of the Reedy era.
william
... ah yes, time for the seasonal 'caballo negro' pregunta.

- el KKM

viva zapata!

arriba!! arriba!!

PYD.
lennybrucewasnotafraidnopenosirreebobtail.....
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

Kansas….
Kansas' defense was atrocious last year. Their lack of talent on that side of the ball puts a hard ceiling in their potential.
bear2be2
parch said:

It seems like Tech's hype is piled almost entirely on the back of that Ole Miss bowl game, when Shough went off. Otherwise their end of year run came against a broken Kansas team, an Iowa State team playing out the string, and a way down OU at home.

I think their wins O/U should probably be around where ours is. Talent-wise I just don't see them as a team to beat in 2023.
I don't care who you're playing, a 4-0 finish to a Power 5 schedule is impressive. Beats the holy hell out of what we did to close 2022.

I think Tech will go as Shough goes in 2023. He was playing at a really high level at the end of the season. If he can stay healthy and repeat that, they'll be tough to beat.
ImwithBU
bear2be2 said:

parch said:

I don't care who you're playing, a 4-0 finish to a Power 5 schedule is impressive. Beats the holy hell out of what we did to close 2022.

I think Tech will go as Shough goes in 2023. He was playing at a really high level at the end of the season. If he can stay healthy and repeat that, they'll be tough to beat.

Unless you're loaded with top notch talent, each season is a crapshoot. Tech like us is dependent on development of players
Big12Bear
Three OT wins last year - all at home, all incredibly lucky. Not sold on them just yet. Give me the under.
parch
bear2be2 said:

parch said:

And yet every one of those teams they beat in that stretch... we beat as well. And we weren't very good last year. I credit them for winning very winnable games, but nothing in that stretch run projects Big 12 frontrunners or NY6 predictions as some have tossed out. Shough's numbers stretched over a season projected right on Blake Shapen's stat line.
bear2be2
parch said:

bear2be2 said:

parch said:

And yet every one of those teams they beat in that stretch... we beat as well. And we weren't very good last year. I credit them for winning very winnable games, but nothing in that stretch run projects Big 12 frontrunners or NY6 predictions as some have tossed out. Shough's numbers stretched over a season projected right on Blake Shapen's stat line.
We didn't have a single win last year as good as Tech's against Ole Miss or Texas. Other than them, we beat nothing but dregs.

It's OK to give Tech a little credit. We have scoreboard, but they had a better season than us. I would trade them for their 2022 season in a heartbeat. And based on momentum and returning talent, I'm more bullish on their 2023, too. Hopefully this Baylor team proves me wrong.
whitetrash
Big12Bear said:

Three OT wins last year - all at home, all incredibly lucky. Not sold on them just yet. Give me the under.
UH: takes a FG on 4th and goal from the 3 in 2nd OT; Tech scores TD on next play.

UT: Bijan fumbles on first play of OT, Tech wins on FG

OU: OU misses FG in OT, Tech wins on FG

That's the difference between 7-5 and 4-8.
bear2be2
whitetrash said:

Big12Bear said:

UH: takes a FG on 4th and goal from the 3 in 2nd OT; Tech scores TD on next play.

I'm not going to apologize for any of our wins, so I don't think anyone else should either.

Do I think Tech is significantly more talented than other teams in the Big 12? Not at all. But winners win. And Joey McGuire's a winner. He's got that team believing, which makes them dangerous.
PartyBear
whitetrash said:

Big12Bear said:

Yep and lets be honest alot of the Tech pre season hype on line is originating from Lubbock. Again quite similar to the hype around Baylor during the pre seasons of the Reedy era except it wasnt online back then of course.
PartyBear
PartyBear said:

whitetrash said:

Big12Bear said:

Yep and lets be honest alot of the Tech pre season hype on line is originating from Lubbock from Tech folks in their own echo chamber. Again quite similar to the hype around Baylor during the pre seasons of the Reedy era except it wasnt online back then of course.
IowaBear
I'll go on record right now Tech goes at best 7-5 that's me being generous. They had ALOT of bounces go their way last year
JP1037
Baylor beat Tech on the road last year. How good can they be?
PartyBear
Not sure how in the world I replied to myself. I was trying to do a slight edit. But sorry about that.
Stefano DiMera
Lot of Tech hype this off-season just like we had a lot of Tech basketball hype coming into last season.

Hopefully Joey stays away from Biblical interpretations like Adams.
MrGolfguy
Dave & his Bears are gonna squash that Tech hype just like they did last year.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
bear2be2
IowaBear said:

I'll go on record right now Tech goes at best 7-5 that's me being generous. They had ALOT of bounces go their way last year
They were also in the first year with a new coach. Without injuries, teams with competent coaches don't usually get worse in Year 2.
bear2be2
MrGolfguy said:

Dave & his Bears are gonna squash that Tech hype just like they did last year.
Dave needs to worry about his Bears. We've got our own problems to fix before we start talking about other teams'.
MrGolfguy
Ok mom
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
IowaBear
They could have a worse record and not necessarily be a worse team if that makes sense. Like I said tons of bounces went Their way as well as a very favorable schedule. A mediocre BU team stomped them in Lubbock.
Ursus Americanus
UT is getting their typical hype, it's important they leave the Big 12 on the same sour note of the last 13 seasons, just as A&M did.
tmcats
joey coaches like he's still playing on friday nights. that only works with superior talent. ku finished the season 1-7. isu may be most improved but the floor is really low for them - .500 would be significant. i have no clue what central florida is bringing, but they open b12 play in manhattan, ks. i believe the four newcomers are going to struggle with depth as the season wears on.
bear2be2
Ursus Americanus said:

UT is getting their typical hype, it's important they leave the Big 12 on the same sour note of the last 13 seasons, just as A&M did.
Yep. We need to lock OUT out for one more year. It would be great to keep those two out of the Big 12 title game for each of the final three years of their time in the league. I'd love for it to be Baylor again, but I'll settle for any other two Big 12 schools.
bear2be2
tmcats said:

joey coaches like he's still playing on friday nights. that only works with superior talent. ku finished the season 1-7. isu may be most improved but the floor is really low for them - .500 would be significant. i have no clue what central florida is bringing, but they open b12 play in manhattan, ks. i believe the four newcomers are going to struggle with depth as the season wears on.
What does this mean exactly?

From my vantage, Joey McGuire just coached Tech to its best win total since 2013 in his first year as a college head coach and is recruiting at a higher level than any Tech coach in ages. Whatever he's doing seems to be working.
Mitch Henessey
bear2be2 said:

tmcats said:

From my vantage, Joey McGuire just coached Tech to its best win total since 2013 in his first year as a college head coach and is recruiting at a higher level than any Tech coach in ages. Whatever he's doing seems to be working.
You're also the biggest Joey McGuire apologist on these here message boards, so I think there should be an appropriate grain of salt applied to any opinion expressed about Tech, considering the source.
bear2be2
Mitch Henessey said:

bear2be2 said:

tmcats said:

You're also the biggest Joey McGuire apologist on these here message boards, so I think there should be an appropriate grain of salt applied to any opinion expressed about Tech, considering the source.
Given the facts I just pointed out are, indeed, facts, I don't know what point exactly you're trying to make.

Win totals are objective. So are recruiting rankings.

So where's the lie, distortion or exaggeration?

Joey McGuire doesn't need apologists. At this point, his record speaks for itself. When it says something other than he's a damn fine coach, I'll be glad to reassess.
PartyBear
Tech won one more game than it did the previous year for which Matt Wells was fired. It was not the dramatic improvement you make it out to be.

As to Tech's recruiting something came along about the time McGuire was hired ther called NIL. Unfortunately for all of us Aranda is coaching at a school that hasn't fully grasped the new world in which that is a necessity at a big time level and seems to be doing fine in recruiting. Nevertheless back harkening back to the Reedy era, ask Coach Reedy how glamorous recruiting rankings don't always mean a whole lot.
tmcats
bear2be2 said:

tmcats said:

it means going for it on 4th down in your own territory against well coached opponents is fool's play. he got stuff more than once in manhattan last year and lost the game. i'm sure there are other examples.
Aliceinbubbleland
gobears20 said:

Most likely well deserved. I'm really curious to see how their program develops as we struggle in recruiting without Joey.
parch
bear2be2 said:

parch said:

bear2be2 said:

parch said:

We didn't have a single win last year as good as Tech's against Ole Miss or Texas. Other than them, we beat nothing but dregs.

It's OK to give Tech a little credit. We have scoreboard, but they had a better season than us. I would trade them for their 2022 season in a heartbeat. And based on momentum and returning talent, I'm more bullish on their 2023, too. Hopefully this Baylor team proves me wrong.
This isn't about us vs. Tech, it's about Tech vs. expectations. It's ridiculous to elevate Tech to Big 12 frontrunners at this point based on literally anything.
CorsicanaBear
Sand Aggie Hype = TAMU hype???
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.