Football
Sponsored by

Colorado AD Rick George on Buffs' future

7,130 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Russell Gym
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
gobears20
Staff
Colorado AD Rick George on Buffs' future tells
@BrianHowell33
: "We're members of the Pac-12, we're proud members of the Pac-12 & we've got to see where our media rights deal lands & where our conference goes. In a perfect world, we'd love to be in the Pac-12, but we also have to do what's right for Colorado at the end of day. We'll evaluate things as we move forward"
historian
Sounds like a politician hedging his bets! Maybe they soon will be announcing the move. If so, it will be very interesting to see if anyone else follows, especially the Arizona schools.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Stefano DiMera
Colorado has entered the transfer portal.

Or just gave their two weeks notice.
PartyBear
Sounds like the dreaded vote of confidence ADs do but about a conference.

Btw it appears the CU BOR posted notice of two executive session meetings for the 30th and 31st. It should be noted a conference move would not occur in an executive session. I would think it would be a regular open session.
Stefano DiMera
Yeah I think it's unrelated..I clicked on the agenda link and it says 'Personnel matter- search for Treasurer ' for both Tuesday and Wednesday meeting.
Stefano DiMera
I had forgotten this. Rick George used to be President of the Texas Rangers..worked with Nolan Ryan and under our own Bob Simpson.

https://www.mlb.com/news/texas-rangers-announce-resignation-of-rick-george/c-53968660
Bakersdozen
Did everything except say "we are going to the Big 12" - recognized the PAC 12, thanked the PAC 12, gave the PAC 12 notice and told the BIG 12 they are coming.
Robert Wilson
Wow. After reading that, I'm actually thinking they're likely to come back.
gobears20
Staff
PartyBear
Despite posting here and some twitter accounts obsessed with realignment, it may depend on where the source is among the 4 corner schools. I really do not think the XII has interest in all 4 as a package. I do not have a source, I just think those 4 take up too many slots out that direction and I do not think the 4 as a group do much in terms of added revenue.
gobears20
Staff
IowaBear
Maybe it's just me but I don't get the allure of adding CO…. They pretty much blow in all major sports and Boulder is a small market. Sure it's close to Denver but that's about the only positive
TXBEAR_bf
Agree. Dion will be a flash in the pan. If he wins…he leaves. If he loses he will be fired in 3-4 years. I don't get the long term here at all. I would rather have Arizona with an established basketball program than Colorado with zero major sport long term success. Maybe the conference will end up with both, and maybe Colorado is the domino that needs to fall before the other PAC schools come along?
Bear living in the woods of Bend Oregon
PartyBear
No one is getting invited to any of the other conferences based on who their current HC is in football.
IowaBear
Tell us why CO is getting invited? This feels like a situation of adding just to add. There's no value that I can see in adding a perennial dumpster fire of a program
PartyBear
Well....I'm not sure they have been inviited. I think the way this works for a school in a conference that is not legally dissolving at the given point in time is that a school applies for membership. If f the XII does accept an application from them at some point in time, it might possibly have to do with the Denver market. That is first thing that comes to mind.
Aberzombie1892
IowaBear said:

Tell us why CO is getting invited? This feels like a situation of adding just to add. There's no value that I can see in adding a perennial dumpster fire of a program
This. Colorado is neat -right now- but long term, adding another also ran (poor recent on the field history, no new recruiting grounds, etc.) does not add much value other than the guaranteed additional media payout to the Big 12 by adding a P5 team. That guaranteed value is great, but does adding Colorado make the league better or higher profile? Eh...

The challenge for Colorado is that they could potentially make $0 in media payouts for 2024-2025 if it joined the Big 12 for that season since the current media deal would still be in place, and it does not allow for guaranteed additional payouts.
gobears20
Staff
ATL Bear
We just added 2 cities and a directional school, and some of you are complaining about Colorado? I don't think the game is being understood here. Performance ebbs and flows, the Big 12 is working on building its brand back up as well as shrinking the competitive landscape for money.
Aliceinbubbleland
ATL Bear said:

We just added 2 cities and a directional school, and some of you are complaining about Colorado? I don't think the game is being understood here. Performance ebbs and flows, the Big 12 is working on building its brand back up as well as shrinking the competitive landscape for money.
I speak only for myself but I still hold a grudge with the way they departed the Big 12. I have truly enjoyed watching Colorado (and Nebraska) suck at everythying since so maybe I should mellow but I still don't like them.

I have no use for either Arizona schools but Utah is appealing if we need to expand while diluting our petty cash.
CorsicanaBear
What pisses me off is that they can have an f'ing Buffalo on the football field, but we can't have a bear.
MT_Bear
Aliceinbubbleland said:

ATL Bear said:

I speak only for myself but I still hold a grudge with the way they departed the Big 12. .

Really? The Big XII seemed to be falling apart, a PAC 16 that didn't include them was getting pushed (once we elbowed ourselves in), they were in danger of being left out, and took a life raft. I don't get the anger. We obviously would have done the same.
gobears20
Staff
I don't really care for Colorado kind of like taking your ex back but bringing them in could bring more schools from the Pac

historian
IowaBear said:

Maybe it's just me but I don't get the allure of adding CO…. They pretty much blow in all major sports and Boulder is a small market. Sure it's close to Denver but that's about the only positive

As the only P5 in the state wouldn't their market be most, if not all, of Colorado? Or am I assuming too much? I honestly don't know.
Stefano DiMera
Unique and new market with no overlap with other schools ..#17 media market in nation...
Stefano DiMera
Because it will create a domino effect that will cripple the Pac12...this isn't just about Colorado..this is Kliakovff playing checkers to Yourmarks chess.

Yourmarks wife is the daughter of a former boss in the Gambino crime family..he don't play.
parch
historian said:

IowaBear said:

As the only P5 in the state wouldn't their market be most, if not all, of Colorado? Or am I assuming too much? I honestly don't know.
It's buying a potentially promising stock very low. If CU was what we wanted it to be this instant, they'd be in the Big 10 by now, or at the very least on their radar.

In other words, an investment. If Deion wasn't there I'd feel entirely differently about it, but as it is, I feel pretty good about Primetime building them into an upper echelon conference team within 5 years.

It's a risk, of course, but as least we're open to taking some. If it was George McClelland Bowlsby still in charge we'd be waiting another 10 years before he woke up and thought about poaching another school.
historian
Different perspective. It makes sense.
historian
gobears20 said:

I don't really care for Colorado kind of like taking your ex back but bringing them in could bring more schools from the Pac

As I see it, the ONLY significant advantage to adding Colorado would be if it gave the Arizona schools the nudge. At least they have decent basketball programs.

Of course, the reality is they all these discussions are driven by $$$$$. Competitiveness or anything else in athletics are minor issues in comparison.
historian
parch said:

historian said:

IowaBear said:

It's buying a potentially promising stock very low. If CU was what we wanted it to be this instant, they'd be in the Big 10 by now, or at the very least on their radar.

In other words, an investment. If Deion wasn't there I'd feel entirely differently about it, but as it is, I feel pretty good about Primetime building them into an upper echelon conference team within 5 years.

It's a risk, of course, but as least we're open to taking some. If it was George McClelland Bowlsby still in charge we'd be waiting another 10 years before he woke up and thought about poaching another school.

Thanks to you & ATL Bear, I understand better.

I also like the historical allusion!
PartyBear
gobears20 said:

This is as dumb of a take as posters who think who the HC at given schools is what drives realignment. No, the HC in football is not who decides what athletic conference the school is in.
Bear8084
PartyBear said:

gobears20 said:

This is as dumb of a take as posters who think who the HC at given schools is what drives realignment. No, the HC in football is not who decides what athletic conference the school is in.

Agree. Especially from a coach who just got there, hasn't proven anything yet in the P5, and could leave whenever he wants to some other school.
historian
Primetime is more about the legend than the man. IIRC, his legacy at Dallas had its ups & downs and I don't think he has a huge reputation in coaching either, at least in the big boy clubs. To be fair, though, I don't follow a lot of football outside Baylor & the B12.
gobears20
Staff
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.