Football
Sponsored by

Missouri coach Eli Drinkwitz says college players, thru NIL, are making more money..

1,211 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by parch
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
guadalupeoso
I'm proud of Eli for volunteering to make less than his brother in law. That should free up a lot of funds for the athletic department.
bear2be2
guadalupeoso said:

I'm proud of Eli for volunteering to make less than his brother in law. That should free up a lot of funds for the athletic department.
Yeah, this is a really tone deaf statement. Like idiotically so.
parch
bear2be2 said:

guadalupeoso said:

He should have phrased it differently, but the framing by Dellenger is poor journalism. He cut Eli off mid-sentence to farm that bait and eliminate the context of the rest of the comment.

guadalupeoso
parch said:

bear2be2 said:

guadalupeoso said:

He should have phrased it differently, but the framing by Dellenger is poor journalism. He cut Eli off mid-sentence to farm that bait and eliminate the context of the rest of the comment.

The quote is much more palatable in full context. Thanks for sharing.
bear2be2
guadalupeoso said:

parch said:

bear2be2 said:

guadalupeoso said:

It's more palatable, but the crux is the same. Players making six figures is ludicrous/problematic, but there's nothing at all wrong with (thoroughly mediocre) coaches making eight figures.

Nothing in the added context changes that basic belief ... which is itself the problem.

It's insanely tone deaf for coaches to bring up player compensation as a concern while making millions of dollars to coach a child's game. The players didn't make college football a billion dollar industry. The universities did by selling their souls to TV networks, advertisers and boosters. The coaches have no problem whatsoever profiting from that but balk or feign concern over issues they helped create when players want to do the same.
Aberzombie1892
bear2be2 said:

guadalupeoso said:

parch said:

bear2be2 said:

guadalupeoso said:

It's more palatable, but the crux is the same. Players making six figures is ludicrous/problematic, but there's nothing at all wrong with (thoroughly mediocre) coaches making eight figures.

Nothing in the added context changes that basic belief ... which is itself the problem.

It's insanely tone deaf for coaches to bring up player compensation as a concern while making millions of dollars to coach a child's game. The players didn't make college football a billion dollar industry. The universities did by selling their souls to TV networks, advertisers and boosters. The coaches have no problem whatsoever profiting from that but balk or feign concern over issues they helped create when players want to do the same.

This. In many states, the highest paid government employee in the entire state is a college football coach, and, if that's true, which it is, eff that guy and those who agree with him.
robby44
Eli Drinkwitz is 17-19 as the head coach at #Mizzou. He was awarded a new contract at the end of last season which will pay him $6 million (2023), $6.25 million (2024), $6.5 million (2025), $6.75 million (2026) and $7 million (2027).
guadalupeoso
bear2be2 said:

guadalupeoso said:

parch said:

bear2be2 said:

guadalupeoso said:

In looking at the full quote, I don't think Eli has any issue with players receiving the amount of compensation that they are receiving. I think his issue is that we are giving them that compensation without any guardrails in place and without them having the life experience (like his brother in law) to handle that kind of money. The issue is how do we allow them to be compensated like employees but still protect them as student athletes/teenagers. That's how I take it at least.

But if his meaning is in line with your interpretation, then yes, its tone deaf.

parch
This is how I read it within the entirety of the context as well. To me it came off as, "My brother is a grown ass man who saves lives and he doesn't have to deal with the craziness coming at these kids with dramatically less life experience."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.