Football
Sponsored by

This is a 10 year minimum rebuild--Are we safe in the big 12?

7,784 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by soren
lawmaker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey all-

Let's be realistic here. We have ZERO depth and we will lose a lot of commitments with this horrible start. This "process" will take us until the mid to late 2020s to get close to decent.

How long will the big 12 put up with it? Admit it, we got very lucky to get in. We better be on the look out.

p.s. Anyone that does not think we got luck to get in the big 12 ask any other big 12 fan (not a baylor fan).

I sure wish I was wrong.

Stranger
You sound like Sloan's ten year vision 2012. (Which never happened, by the way.

Fire this guy tonight and the right coach could have them winning in two and contending in three. Problem is the BOR and Rhoads don't have the sense or gonads to do it. They'll pray about it, though.
I'm a Bearbacker
Boatshoes
When your university president goes on the record with a statement like "we are not an institution of football", it is pretty clear that the intent of the powers that are currently in place is not to rebuild anything.

Rhule was brought in to encourage his players to engage in community service and to keep them out of the news. Wins are not really part of that equation.

When realignment occurs, we will be out of the B12.
Tyler Chamber
No! Outside of OU and UT, nobody is safe "within" the Big 12. Outside of the Big 12 for some, who knows? The level of trust between programs has been diminished to the point to where nobody can truly hang their hat on the future once OU and UT get a better deal. And eventually they will. It is one for none and none for all.
Bear8084
Crystal ball predictions with a crazy timeline and hyperbole and wanting to fire a coach after only 3 games. Uh...Ok.
bearnaked
One could take Liberty to a BCS bowl in 10 years. Don't overreact. You have heard that CMR went 2-10 in his first year at Temple, right? We should be competitive next season and knocking on the door of 8-9 wins in 2019.
Oso Pardo
Short answer....NO! They will keep us around for now because having guaranteed wins for the Whorns and Face-breakers is beneficial at present with the return of the CCG this year. But, as soon as it starts threatening TV money....We gone!
Tommy_Lou_Ramsower

"Everybody around me seems a lot more happier with Baylor than ever before!"
KAK
Whenever the Big 12 dissolves we will be out of P5 no matter what our record is. We will not be welcomed because of our stance on certain issues the rest of the world calls "social" but are really "moral" - we will not be welcomed and we will be playing Liberty and Mary Hardin Baylor every week and have the best stadium in our new conference.

I would love to be winners whenever that happens and maybe we will get there in a few years...maybe we beat OU next week, too...yeah, right...
REX
Stranger said:

You sound like Sloan's ten year vision 2012. (Which never happened, by the way.

Fire this guy tonight and the right coach could have them winning in two and contending in three. Problem is the BOR and Rhoads don't have the sense or gonads to do it. They'll pray about it, though.

They should be wailing and sobbing right now!
CSIBear
A ten year rebuild? No way we have way more talent than Briles had his first year and way way way more than Morriss has his first year. Like said before, get the right coach and this is a 2-3 year rebuild at most.
TomW
lawmaker, it's just a forum, but why do you think you have any expertise to put a number like 10 years in your subject? Good grief, why don't you just voice your barbaric yaup and just say "I HATE THIS" and be done. Being an attorney, 2017 football expert and great at projecting, those don't make a connection, but hey, it's just a forum so attach all the words you wish to your frustration and then realize it's about the student athletes growing into great men at Baylor. If all these men get their degrees and grow into solid people I'm good with that. Isn't it weird not to put winning above all directly or indirectly?
Mr. Sippi
I get nervous when thinking about our future P5 status when considering our football program. But, then I think about our other sports programs that are highly competitive and I hope would be valuable to a major conference (mainly MBB and WBB). I do think, too, that as someone else mentioned, our stance on social issues might be our doing-in. On LBGQTABCXYZ issues, Baylor recently scored -45 on a scale of 0-300 (or something like that)!
Baylor grad, 'Bama dad
gobears20
Staff
I don't really think it would take ten years mainly due to our facilities. Now if we were still at the case I would say yes.
CSIBear
Fair enough and facilities.... we are easily the best in the big12
boognish_bear
The conference is already keeping 25% of our profit and there was some momentum in some corners to kick us out. We've got one foot in the grave and one foot on a banana peel.
Bear8084
boognish_bear said:

The conference is already keeping 25% of our profit and there was some momentum in some corners to kick us out. We've got one foot in the grave and one foot on a banana peel.

What "momentum"? That was just what rival fans and haters wished for.
PartyBear
I thought lawmaker was being sarcastic.
57Bear
PartyBear said:

I thought lawmaker was being sarcastic.
I thought lawmaker was being optimistic.
Wolf359
gobears20 said:

I don't really think it would take ten years mainly due to our facilities. Now if we were still at the case I would say yes.
Really? I wouldn't count on your "elite facilities" as any sort of recruiting magnet or ace-in-the-hole if and when the 16 team Super Conference scavengers start picking apart the Big 12 cadaver. Besides, 10 years will be way too late and even 5 years may be as well. Remember, in 5 years, your seniors will be from the 2019 recruiting class . . . it better be a good 'un, as should your next coach!
Remember, Science is not some sort of liberal conspiracy and Fake News is stuff you don't wanna believe!
Boatshoes
TomW said:

... realize it's about the student athletes growing into great men at Baylor. If all these men get their degrees and grow into solid people I'm good with that.

This is the mindset that brought Rhule to Waco. This is the mindset that will result in 0-12. This is the mindset of the BOR. This is why there won't be a rebuild.

If you are serious why not just drop down to FCS or NAIA or drop football entirely?
PBRBear
It's more like 5 years to possible realignment and we will be out. Might as well get used to the thought.
TomW
10 years, 7 days. Eh, who's counting.
vanillabryce
10 years?

Briles took ****ty talent, ****ty facilities, and ****ty football support and won a B12 title in half that.

TomW
vanillabryce said:

10 years?

Briles took ****ty talent, ****ty facilities, and ****ty football support and won a B12 title in half that.

I wish Briles well, but it's a different time. Rhule will be great!
syme
Wolf359 said:

gobears20 said:

Really? I wouldn't count on your "elite facilities" as any sort of recruiting magnet or ace-in-the-hole if and when the 16 team Super Conference scavengers start picking apart the Big 12 cadaver. Besides, 10 years will be way too late and even 5 years may be as well. Remember, in 5 years, your seniors will be from the 2019 recruiting class . . . it better be a good 'un, as should your next coach!
Wolf, what conference do you think Tarleton State (trailer park U) will end up in?
GhettoHEBear
Don't sweat it. Great road trips in the Mountain West Conference.
WestTexSand
YES, BU is safe in the BIG 12... Kansas proved that football is not the sole metric for city nfetencr legitimacy... BU basketball is plenty legit... The men contend routinely compete for titles and reach the Sweet 16 .. WBB remains a steady Top Ten team that will likely stay in the hunt for natty titles in the near futiure... BU is hosting the upcoming Big 12 Track outdoor championships... Baseball is on the rise...iif TV is an indicator of conference shelf life then tonight's game demonstrates BU is not a dead program ready for irrelevance... No, all the fools who wring hands and declare BU will be booted out of the conference are overdramatizing our current FB misfortunes and cannot stand on any evidence that our Big 12 stays is inperiled....
merckywaters
TomW said:

10 years, 7 days. Eh, who's counting.
zombie threading?
#FreeCinque
vanillabryce
That's my point Tom, if that's even your real name.

My point is it's different and it will be easier
TomW
vanillabryce said:

I said Rhule will be great and Briles was in the past. My name is Thomas, I go by Tom. It's ok my friend. No need attacking names lol
oldbear69
TomW said:

vanillabryce said:

I said Rhule will be great and Briles was in the past. My name is Thomas, I go by Tom. It's ok my friend. No need attacking names lol
hey tom ...u into moral victories??? jersey boy is a fraud...supposed to be some kind of defensive guru?? ill take pmb any day,, jersey boys def stats give me a nose bleed...,i dont have 10 yrs for a turn around...
80sBEAR
TomW said:

vanillabryce said:

Congratulations Sir. You and your friends on the Baylor BOR had a great night. Baylor lost yet we were competitive. They are celebrating and high-fiving for sure.
Quicksilver
The Big 12's TV contract with Fox/ESPN for football and basketball expires in 2025. Nothing will happen until then, and why would Texas or OU have any interest in going anywhere? More revenue and better chance to get in the playoff in the Big 12.

The biggest threat to the existance of the Big 12 is retiring in June 2018 - David Boren.

What SHOULD happen is Missouri and Nebraska beg the Big 12 to let them back in. Both are irrelevant programs now. On another subject, Dr. Tom Osborne has done more to build the Nebraska program...and ruin it by leaving the Big 12.
Bear8084
oldbear69 said:

TomW said:

vanillabryce said:

hey tom ...u into moral victories??? jersey boy is a fraud...supposed to be some kind of defensive guru?? ill take pmb any day,, jersey boys def stats give me a nose bleed...,i dont have 10 yrs for a turn around...

Lol. It's not going to take 10 years. We just took #3 team down to the wire in CMRs first year. Maybe this is the game people will remember as the turnaround point. I hope so. It sure looked like it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.