Story Poster
Photo by © Kevin Jairaj-USAToday

Smoaky: Mack Rhoades discusses Josh Gordon's claims

October 11, 2017

Discussion from...

Smoaky: Mack Rhoades discusses Josh Gordon's claims

10,162 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by possible12
YoakDaddy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's really sad trying to hear ADMR explain how winning isn't a metric of The Process.
CorsicanaBear
But you knew it wasn't based on the results..
Illigitimus non carborundum
YoakDaddy
CorsicanaBear said:

But you knew it wasn't based on the results..

Just painful to hear from leadership.....
RegentCoverup
I have no problem with a process, but if they want support they should try being transparent.

And I never hear a word from the people that told me Ian was a world class athletic director..
Gust Avrakotos
We have officially given up on trying to be a top football program. Very sad.

Once we officially turn into a basketball school....I'm out. Once I see Jersey go 1-11 or 0-12 followed by a 2-10 season.....and not get fired. I'll know that we are there.
80sBEAR
It's all about the kids!!!!! LOL!

"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Keyser Soze
YoakDaddy said:

It's really sad trying to hear ADMR explain how winning isn't a metric of The Process.

He didn't say that at all .

paulboomer
I'm really confused about the negative comments in this thread. The truth is that when both Rhodes and Rhule came to Baylor, the football program was devoid of talent. Between the graduation of a great senior class in '15, the loss of just about the entire '16 recruiting class and Rhule having to cobble together a '17 recruiting class from way behind, the talent is just not there. We're having to play a bunch of freshmen and sophomores. We're going to be outmatched talent wise nearly every weak. I realize that the Liberty and UTSA losses were colossal embarrassments, but if we can see Rhule getting players to play hard, and they play good fundamental football, then I'm satisfied with the progress. I think we saw a great example of that in the OU game. However, if his team quits on him, like they did for Roberts, Steele and Morriss, thats when I'll start to worry. So it is a process. We need give Rhule time to build the talent level and I'm confident he will. The wins will come. So we all have a choice: we can ***** and moan about how this thing blew up and we had to start over (which we can do nothing about) or we can support the program and be part of the process of building it back up. I'll choose the latter.
Keyser Soze

Any sane person would give them a pass on year one all things considered.

The question is in 2019 will we look back and just say this year was below expectations or a warning sign of things to come.

Pale Rider
Keyser Soze said:

The question is in 2019 will we look back and just say this year was below expectations or a warning sign of things to come.

Indeed.
rileyroo
"We are winning Sunday-Friday" - Mack Rhoades

YoakDaddy
Keyser Soze said:

So it's insane to pay a coach $4MM/year and not expect results on the field? I guess he's just a highly paid motivational speaker and babysitter then.
303Bear
Keyser Soze said:

A sane person would look at the totality of the circumstances and realize that a 6-6 campaign would have been an overall successful season, and any wins beyond 6 would be pure gravy.

Sane people should also realize that losing to Liberty, this year or any year is inexcusable.
Keyser Soze
YoakDaddy said:

Keyser Soze said:

So it's insane to pay a coach $4MM/year and not expect results on the field? I guess he's just a highly paid motivational speaker and babysitter then.

Lack of results on the field will get him fired, just not happening year one or likely even year two.

IMO - very fair to say MR has underachieved on the field, I do think it short sighted to call him a horrible hire or bad coach at this point. Time will answer all our questions.
Keyser Soze
303Bear said:

Keyser Soze said:

A sane person would look at the totality of the circumstances and realize that a 6-6 campaign would have been an overall successful season, and any wins beyond 6 would be pure gravy.

Sane people should also realize that losing to Liberty, this year or any year is inexcusable.

OK let's say it is inexcusable - what next?
YoakDaddy
Keyser Soze said:

YoakDaddy said:

Keyser Soze said:

Lack of results on the field will get him fired, just not happening year one or likely even year two.

IMO - very fair to say MR has underachieved on the field, I do think it short sighted to call him a horrible hire or bad coach at this point. Time will answer all our questions.

As far as time goes, I'll assess his performance on 11/24 after TCU. We may need to cut bait though.
Keyser Soze
YoakDaddy said:

Keyser Soze said:

YoakDaddy said:

Keyser Soze said:

As far as time goes, I'll assess his performance on 11/24 after TCU. We may need to cut bait though.

That could be the right call, but either way it will never happen with a 7 year contract.
Forest Bueller
paulboomer said:

The truth is that when both Rhodes and Rhule came to Baylor, the football program was devoid of talent.

This is just false. Even the worst year, when we lost a good portion of a class the final ranking was #40.

Smith and Mims have NFL level talent on offense. Williams and Hasty both excellent RB's, Platt is a good receiver.

The defense which has under performed, has several very good players, now I will grant many of them have missed large segments of the season or are still out, such as KJ, but Baylor has a lot of talent.

By the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved.
303Bear
Keyser Soze said:

303Bear said:

Keyser Soze said:

OK let's say it is inexcusable - what next?
There is no "Next". Next is hope we don't go 0-12 this year and get better next. Rhule isn't going at the end of this year regardless of outcome, and probably not at the end of next year, with the possible caveat of being let go if we go 0-12 or 1-11 next year (doubtful on both counts).

My statement is to refute the argument that so many unapologetic Rhule supporters make that this season was lost before it began. Regardless of what the roster looked like prior to the first game, regardless of what went on in the last 18 months and regardless of what expectations for the season were, Liberty should never have been an L on our record. That is inexcusable and colors the rest of the evaluation of Rhule. It was the first game. Baring the freak and unexpected, players should be healthy. Fall camp had just ended, so there are no colorable excuses for the repeated lapses in alignment or missed assignments, and some semblance of an offensive scheme should have been in place.

I do not hate Rhule as some here seem to, and I accept that he will be here next year at a minimum. However, coaching thus far this season has left me incredibly underwhelmed.
Forest Bueller
Rhule has 3 years and should have 3 years no matter what.

By the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved.
BUGWBBear
Forest Bueller said:

Rhule has 3 years and should have 3 years no matter what.

If he'd implement the Briles offense, which most of his players were recruited for, HED HAVE HIS 3 AND MORE....

But JoPa Jr. has greater success on some universenotthisone....
txturtlegirl
So if the move was on to fire Coach Rhule, who would be willing to come here in his place?

Please read the question as it does NOT ask, who would you want as the new coach, because that really isn't an option. And yes, I know he has a 7-year contract, so he really isn't going anywhere for probably 3 years.

So again (for the slow learners and graduate students) Coach Rhule gets fired, who would be willing to come here in his place as the head coach?

Aberzombie1892
txturtlegirl said:

So if the move was on to fire Coach Rhule, who would be willing to come here in his place?

Please read the question as it does NOT ask, who would you want as the new coach, because that really isn't an option. And yes, I know he has a 7-year contract, so he really isn't going anywhere for probably 3 years.

So again (for the slow learners and graduate students) Coach Rhule gets fired, who would be willing to come here in his place as the head coach?

This. Matt Rhule was an excellent hire given the circumstances, and, if he is terminated quickly, who would come here to take his place? No one would leave a stable or successful situation at their existing coaching job to come to Baylor where they could be let go so quickly after such a devastating scandal.
Pale Rider
Aberzombie1892 said:

txturtlegirl said:

This. Matt Rhule was an excellent hire given the circumstances, and, if he is terminated quickly, who would come here to take his place? No one would leave a stable or successful situation at their existing coaching job to come to Baylor where they could be let go so quickly after such a devastating scandal.
Exactly! This is a "no brainer" as they say!!
Sailor Bear
Bumping all these "Fire Rhule" threads is going to be so much fun when we are in the playoff in 2020.
txturtlegirl
Bearish said:

Bumping all these "Fire Rhule" threads is going to be so much fun when we are in the playoff in 2020.
Totally agree. Bump!
PartyBear
Bearish said:

I hope you do have fun with that. That's all I'll say. You are really predicting a top 4 finish in year 4? That would be almost as fast as Briles but signs were there at this point of year one for Briles. I hope you are right.
DAC
txturtlegirl said:

I'd be willing to give it a shot
paulboomer
You're delusional if you think firing Rhule after 1 year (even at 0-12) would be a good idea. What he did at Temple cannot be ignored. It took him a while to get there though. There' s no way that we could attract a new coach worth a damn after all that we have been through by firing a coach after 1 year. You have to give him time. As I said before, if the players continue to play hard and they don't quit on him, then we have hope to improve with some recruiting success. I realize that losing to Liberty was a giant failure that Rhule takes absolute responsibility for. I'll end with a question: If we did fire him, who could we hire? Not who you would want, but who could we get?
PartyBear
A lot more than you think
possible12
Keyser Soze said:

YoakDaddy said:

Keyser Soze said:

YoakDaddy said:

Keyser Soze said:

That could be the right call, but either way it will never happen with a 7 year contract.
I agree that contract is a millstone around the neck. Something similar was a must to get anyone with any backing to come. People saying there were many good candidates lining up are naive.

However, a head coach knows his record is his record down the road. A "this is career suicide, record wise" moment may come to him soon after assessing the day to day. Otherwise, yeah, there are years involved in this hire, and he will be fighting his way back to .500 the rest of his career.

And again, I don't blame him. He knew going in it was 'hit a home run and be set for life, or not, and be set for life'. Financially, it is win-win. And it had to be to come here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.