Football
Sponsored by

The grim reality of this here situation

22,633 Views | 212 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearlySober
RegentCoverup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PartyBear said:

The guy was here for 8 seasons and would have and planned to stay much longer.

This is the ugly face of denial.

1) The guy talked to any and every person that was willing to offer a job and he blew town at the first chance of a paycheck and left his assistants in the cold, many who he'd known for a decade. As bad as he screwed us, he screwed his colleagues longer and harder.

2) His longest tenure in ANY previous position was 7 years. Doubtful even if things hadnt' soured that he had plans to stay. Art was only motivated by what was in it for Art.

I'll bet you're going to tell me he loved Baylor?

Please, I need the laugh.
Robert Wilson
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

1) The guy talked to any and every person that was willing to offer a job and he blew town at the first chance of a paycheck and left his assistants in the cold, many who he'd known for a decade. As bad as he screwed us, he screwed his colleagues longer and harder.

2) His longest tenure in ANY previous position was 7 years. Doubtful even if things hadnt' soured that he had plans to stay. Art was only motivated by what was in it for Art.

This conversation is asinine. All coaches are mercenaries. He won big and wasn't going anywhere for a variety of reasons. Whether he "loved" us is preposterously irrelevant. Did your mama not breastfeed you or something? Why are you so needy?
PartyBear
Look are you trying to be a fool Tell me you love me? Seriously, Briles was a mercenary and I always said he was. So is everyone else in the business except perhaps Snyder. Rhule is a mercenary as well but that fact actually makes me laugh at this point.
TenBears
Surreal wasn't it. And also the K-State game. I thought at least a hundred times about what my BU attending ancestors would have thought if they had been magically resurrected and beamed into that environment.

Whatever with Rhule. I checked out after the K-State game. My kid graduates in two months and, after that, I'll only be connected to BU via memories. Even if Rhule miraculously takes us back to Grant Teaff 7-4 land, we are not going to survive realignment.

RegentCoverup
Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

This conversation is asinine. All coaches are mercenaries. He won big and wasn't going anywhere for a variety of reasons. Whether he "loved" us is preposterously irrelevant. Did your mama not breastfeed you or something? Why are you so needy?
Your saying it's asinine while trying to say he wasn't leaving.
You're wrong. He was ready to leave until a donor saved the day.

The facts aren't on your side. Whether you think coaches are loyal/mercenaries, is irrelevant.
Some of you robe touchers need to get clean of the drug.

Briles did not want to stay at Baylor. He wanted to leave.

End of story.
BillDauterive
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

The facts aren't on your side. Whether you think coaches are loyal/mercenaries, is irrelevant.

End of story.

PartyBear
Dude a donor is going to have to save the day to keep Rhule from leaving for a potential Penn St opening or other BiG blue blood opening if he becomes as successful as Briles. If he gets us back to play off contention you better believe he would take a call from PSU especially but also Mich and Ohio St. Hell Rhule is trying to make our program into an BiG style. Program to get their attention. That's the nature of this thing here and everywhere else.
RealLarryDon
I remember when Mr. McLane spoke to our class 2 years ago. He said the difference between people who he had seen be successful over a lifetime and those who kinda stumbled along the way and never realized their full potential was that when the latter ran into their first problem, they spent most of the rest of their life complaining and bemoaning every little thing instead of taking the lump, learning from it, retiring those negative thoughts and then pursuing an optimistic future. That seems to describe some of the tone expressed in several portions of this thread.
Robert Wilson
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.

You're an imbecile.
ColomboLQ
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.
1) All coaches are mercenaries
2) 7 years at one school is actually a pretty long time for a coach to be at these days
3) If Art wanted to leave Baylor, he would have left.
RegentCoverup
Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.

You're an imbecile.

Art doesn't love you anymore. He''s not your friend.
RegentCoverup
ColomboLQ said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.
2) 7 years at one school is actually a pretty long time for a coach to be at these days

I'd kinda say he's gone, wouldn't you?
possible12
JXL said:

MilliVanilli said:

Robert Wilson said:

One thing we have been told over and over again on this message board is that those of us who are pissed off and suspicious about whether this was handled well just care too much about football. Our priorities are out of whack. We do not care about victims of sexual assault. We are not an institution of football.

Ok. The message is clear. De-emphasize football. At a minimum, de-emphasize caring about whether we win. That reprioritization does not end at the institutional level. It inevitably flows down through the fan base. Part of the problem is that some of us have just been slow to take our cues.
OR care about football, but care about winning with integrity over winning at all costs.

Exactly. Thank you.
BS. It was not "at all costs". The dramatic wailing of that kind is ridiculously D-III and clueless of P-5 athletics
Robert Wilson
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.

You're an imbecile.

Art never loved me. Never was my friend. He was paid to win football games and was good at it.

You ninnies who thought he was your daddy or Sunday school teacher surely were upset.
RegentCoverup
Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.

You're an imbecile.

Art never loved me. Never was my friend. He was paid to win football games and was good at it.

You ninnies who thought he was your daddy or Sunday school teacher surely were upset.

Not me, bruh...

Thee University
ColomboLQ said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.
He left alright. After striking a match to us.

Nobody really wanted him or he would have bolted. He was shopping hard but a one trick pony offense is only 1/3 of the winning equation.

He could not leave because his ego overloaded his true value.

He'll get a job next year with a program willing to sell their soul. Hide & watch and then order that t-shirt!
Russell Gym
Correct
Russell Gym
Thanks for sharing your story.

I stopped Judge McCall on 5th Street one morning long after he had passed the torch to Herb Reynolds. He seem surprised I recognized him. I'm glad I didn't miss my opportunity to thank him personally for all he did for Baylor.
possible12
Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

Yep. Sounds like Aggies that always want a coach that "gets a &m". Every job is destination job til it isn't.
Think this staff "gets Baylor" or "loves Baylor" ? Coaches have to be part mercenary in today's climate of front running "fans".
Pale Rider
D. C. Bear said:

PartyBear said:

The guy was here for 8 seasons and would have and planned to stay much longer. Why a ridiculous assertion. Do you not think Rhule is a mercenary? ( he is proving to be a horrible one so far but don't be naive , he is).

The dude's dream is to be one of Paterno's successors at Penn St or at least be at a BiG blue blood. Nothing is wrong with that by the way. But if he ends up being as successful as Briles we are going to get in a bidding war with PSU or perhaps Mich or Ohio St as well. Will you pollyannas suddenly hate Rhule because he stays at a high price after havin interest in one of these type places?

It's a mystery to me why some fans expect a kind of marriage vow loyalty from a winning coach. After all, the same fans would rightfully run a losing coach or a not quite winning enough coach out of town without a second thought.
Absolutely!
Pale Rider
Russell Gym said:

I stopped Judge McCall on 5th Street one morning long after he had passed the torch to Herb Reynolds. He seem surprised I recognized him. I'm glad I didn't miss my opportunity to thank him personally for all he did for Baylor.
I sure wish I had been able to do that.
GruntTuff
Pale Rider said:

Russell Gym said:

I sure wish I had been able to do that.
For those of you who are really interested in the history of Baylor from the perspective of Abner McCall, I suggest you go to the oral history project on the life of Judge McCall conducted by the Institute of Oral History of Baylor (name might not be precise). Google is your friend. Thomas Charlton and others conducted 21 interview with Judge McCall and if you will take the time to read and listen to those interviews you will learn a true perspective on Baylor through the eyes of a man who was involved with Baylor for about 60 years.

I encourage taking the time to read and listen to what he said.
Boatshoes
Krieg said:

I was meaning, was he happy where he is now and wasn't then? Did we not even look at him again?
I'd say that typically this doesn't happen. More than likely the mystery man who was prepared to come to Baylor after Tempe is now plying his trade somewhere else.

So If you look at the list of P5 head coaches - and perhaps coordinators - who changed positions from Dec 2014 to Spring of 2016, you'll have a list of people whose name contains your mystery man.
Boatshoes
PartyBear said:

Look are you trying to be a fool Tell me you love me? Seriously, Briles was a mercenary and I always said he was.
Everyone is a mercenary in today's economy, not just head football coaches. The day of working for one organization for a iifetime for a gold watch to further its mission have faded into the history books. Every organization has an army of MBAs trying to screw you out of a dime at every turn, and every worker has one ear to the ground looking for an organization that might let him keep that dime.

That having been said, people are missing the reason why Art Briles didn't leave Baylor: he believed that he had built the program up to a point where it could equal or exceed UT as the premier football program in the state of Texas. Think about that for a minute. He took a look. He met with UT. He thought "This is is a better gig than the coaching job in Austin." Briles believed he could build the next Notre Dame or USC on the Brazos and was well on his way to delivering.

For those of us who lived through the lost decades, and even cheered for Teaff's teams, that was an unbelievable development.

That future - thanks to the mismanagement of the BOI - is gone forever.
Jacques Strap
D. C. Bear said:

PartyBear said:

The guy was here for 8 seasons and would have and planned to stay much longer. Why a ridiculous assertion. Do you not think Rhule is a mercenary? ( he is proving to be a horrible one so far but don't be naive , he is).

The dude's dream is to be one of Paterno's successors at Penn St or at least be at a BiG blue blood. Nothing is wrong with that by the way. But if he ends up being as successful as Briles we are going to get in a bidding war with PSU or perhaps Mich or Ohio St as well. Will you pollyannas suddenly hate Rhule because he stays at a high price after havin interest in one of these type places?

It's a mystery to me why some fans expect a kind of marriage vow loyalty from a winning coach. After all, the same fans would rightfully run a losing coach or a not quite winning enough coach out of town without a second thought.
And they would also take a better job themselves if the right offer came along.
80sBEAR
Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.

You're an imbecile.

AckAckAckAckAck!!!!! Art Briles was not a good fit for Baylor. He was a football coach. We want a youth pastor and I think we found our man. It's all about the kids!!!!
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Thee University
Boatshoes said:

PartyBear said:

Look are you trying to be a fool Tell me you love me? Seriously, Briles was a mercenary and I always said he was.
Everyone is a mercenary in today's economy, not just head football coaches. The day of working for one organization for a iifetime for a gold watch to further its mission have faded into the history books. Every organization has an army of MBAs trying to screw you out of a dime at every turn, and every worker has one ear to the ground looking for an organization that might let him keep that dime.

That having been said, people are missing the reason why Art Briles didn't leave Baylor: he believed that he had built the program up to a point where it could equal or exceed UT as the premier football program in the state of Texas. Think about that for a minute. He took a look. He met with UT. He thought "This is is a better gig than the coaching job in Austin." Briles believed he could build the next Notre Dame or USC on the Brazos and was well on his way to delivering.

For those of us who lived through the lost decades, and even cheered for Teaff's teams, that was an unbelievable development.

That future - thanks to the mismanagement of the BOI - is gone forever.
I just laughed my @$$ off! That's some funny BS!
Mothra
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.

Don't care at all. Nor should any Baylor fan. I'd rather have a great coach then a coach with undying loyalty to Baylor.
ABC BEAR
80sBEAR said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.

You're an imbecile.

AckAckAckAckAck!!!!! Art Briles was not a good fit for Baylor. He was a football coach. We want a youth pastor and I think we found our man. It's all about the kids!!!!
Hence the Little Tikes Basketball Goal fiasco.
Thee University
Mothra said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.

Don't care at all. Nor should any Baylor fan. I'd rather have a great coach then a coach with undying loyalty to Baylor.
That clearly shows.

Why not aim for both?

You guys are like these NBA wives and NFL wives who tolerate blatant cheating on them. They accept the cheating, running around and abuse and even come back for more because of the $$$$$$$, prestige of having a celebrity spouse and the lifestyle.

I'm going to start a 365 Gold Digger Club.
Mothra
Thee University said:

Mothra said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.

That clearly shows.

Why not aim for both?

You guys are like these NBA wives and NFL wives who tolerate blatant cheating on them. They accept the cheating, running around and abuse and even come back for more because of the $$$$$$$, prestige of having a celebrity spouse and the lifestyle.

I'm going to start a 365 Gold Digger Club.

Why limit the criteria to coaches with undying loyalty? Why significantly reduce your pool of coaches? You're telling me you would take an average power five coach who had undying loyalty for Baylor over in urban Meyer or Gary Patterson if they came here for money?
DAC
Thee University said:

Mothra said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

Robert Wilson said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

PartyBear said:

End of story.

That clearly shows.

Why not aim for both?

Like rhule? He will be here forever. He loves Baylor and will never leave
Mothra
I think I've given you too much credit. The belief that a coach would come here because of love of Baylor over money is about as preposterous a position as one can take. Hate to break it to you, but Matt Rhule is here for $4 million per year not because he loves Baylor - a school he had no familiarity with prior to coming here.
Thee University
Mothra said:

I think I've given you too much credit. The belief that a coach would come here because of love of Baylor or over money is about is preposterous a position as one can take. Hate to break it to you, but Matt Rhule is here for $4 million per year not because he loves Baylor
I can't accept credit from you anyway.

You know what I am saying.

Did Grant Teaff love Baylor?

In the end it is not so much love as it is respect for the institution.

It is about respect for Baylor's Mission.

It is about being thankful for support no other football coach at Baylor received.

It is about understanding the history of Baylor's football program, where it has been, how it got there, mistakes made, successes.

It is about winning with CLASS.

It is about representing Baylor as her forefathers intended BU to have her green & gold flung afar.

You and your kind are what is bad with sports today.
Mothra
Says the guy who would hire Gary Patterson in a heartbeat. Again, do you not see the irony?

I love Teaff. We've had one coach up to his quality and character in 100 years of Baylor football. In other words, coaches like Teaff are damn near impossible to find.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.