Football
Sponsored by

Sobering Defensive Stats

2,712 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Keyser Soze
BearlyConscious
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Without a quick tempo, high scoring offense, a below average defense will probably equate to a losing record moving forward. We got used to an offense that was typically so good, that it could cover the shortcomings on the other side of the ball.

Coming in to the year, I didn't think that we would be 6-0 at this point, nor 0-6. One area I did hope to see improvement in, was our defense. We have a long way to go.

There are 129 teams in FBS. Here are our rankings according to the NCAA website

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21/p2

Total Defense 125
Scoring Defense 121
Yds per play 126
Rushing Defense 119
Red Zone Defense 112
Passing Yds Allowed 117

Curious to hear other's thoughts as to if/when you believe that we will have a "respectable" defense (say in the top half)?
PartyBear
These facts are about as sobering as a gallon of Jose Cuervo.
BillDauterive
Well we are about #3 from the bottom, so I guess Phil Snow wasn't lying.

Bear75605
I posted the same thing earlier this week. Two things I would like to see how far our passing yard defense falls after this week. I would also like to see a stat on yards after the first defender contacted the ball carrier.

I believe if just the fourth person to touch the ball carrier could tackle them we would probably have won at least three games.
RioRata
Man oh man I miss Brian Norwoo!
Sailor Bear
We're just so young...Freshmen and sophomores all over the place. Not excusing numbers that bad, but building experience in the complicated scheme will help - some of the young guys have serious talent. But it needs to improve big time next year.
RealLarryDon
BearlyConscious said:

Curious to hear other's thoughts as to if/when you believe that we will have a "respectable" defense (say in the top half)?
That is a fair question. I suspect it will be at least a year or two after several of the underperforming upper classmen who were recruited to a different system move on and are replaced by guys who fit Snow's type of player. The results certainly have not been good this year, so there's not much of a way to defend that. I suspect the secondary coach will be moved to another position and a new hire will be made from the outside. That is the part of the defense that looks the most fundamentally unsound in most phases.
stillwaiting
Don't think I will ever miss Brian, but we sure could use Levi's sure hands.
Jacques Strap
Half the board thinks the coaches are the reason for the defensive shortcomings. Half the board thinks the players are the issue. It's probably both. Maybe both coaches and players will get better next year or the year after or the year after. We're a "wait until next year" program now my friends.
80sBEAR
Jacques Strap said:

Half the board thinks the coaches are the reason for the defensive shortcomings. Half the board thinks the players are the issue. It's probably both. Maybe both coaches and players will get better next year or the year after or the year after. We're a "wait until next year" program now my friends.
And we are going to be "young" for the next decade.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Jacques Strap
80sBEAR said:

Jacques Strap said:

...and "inexperienced" in this complex defensive scheme.

Pro Tip: if you want to see where we rank in any of the other NCAA defensive categories or the offensive categories go to page 3 of the listings before you run a CRTL-F search for "Baylor". You'll come up empty if you search page 1 or 2 of the listings for most of these categories.
Private Pyle
But we have NFL level coaches. How can this be happening?
YoakDaddy
mmodine said:

But we have NFL level coaches. How can this be happening?

There's a reason they're not in the NFL....
YoakDaddy
Our defensive stats are so bad because we're not tough enough yet.
Krieg
Our D is allowing the exact number of points and yards that they allowed in our worst defensive year under Briles in 2012.

This is despite them playing a lot fewer drives per game this year due to the offensive changes, and despite returning solid talent all over the field.

The fact that it's this bad should tell you all you need to know about the coaching staff and their ability to succeed here. These stats shouldn't be possible, just like 0-6 shouldn't be possible, but here we are.
Black_Storm
This is part of the process. To be so bad, that by year 3, the fans are happy with whatever is thrown on the field.
Oso Pardo
80sBEAR said:

Jacques Strap said:

So you are saying that we are going to be the new Whorns? They have been "young" for like 5 years now, and unfortunately won more games with their "young" teams than we have so far even with two complete coaching philosophy changes....

Sure hope that changes SOON!!!
LiBeartarian
"Losing breeds toughness" -Matt Rhule
Krieg
Black_Storm said:

This is part of the process. To be so bad, that by year 3, the fans are happy with whatever is thrown on the field.

I'm not sure how much of a joke you meant that post to be, but I think there's something to it. If he wins 0-1 game this year and 4 next year, a lot of people will talk about his huge improvements and want to give him year 3. Then he wins 6 in year 6, what he should've won this year, and gets an extension.
Jacques Strap
Krieg said:

Black_Storm said:

I'm not sure how much of a joke you meant that post to be, but I think there's something to it. If he wins 0-1 game this year and 4 next year, a lot of people will talk about his huge improvements and want to give him year 3. Then he wins 6 in year 6, what he should've won this year, and gets an extension.
$4 million to go between 5-7 and 7-5 with an occasional 8-4 is a very good job.
Wwbear
I never bought their # 3 defense claim because of the schedule they played last year. I posted before but only a couple of teams they played were bowl eligible and Temple only beat 1 of those. Plus they didnt have to play UH and Tulsa.

That defense never faced a Big 12 level offense. On top of that, the offense never had to play from 3 TD's behind and adding.

CHP Bear
BearlyConscious said:

Without a quick tempo, high scoring offense, a below average defense will probably equate to a losing record moving forward. We got used to an offense that was typically so good, that it could cover the shortcomings on the other side of the ball.

Coming in to the year, I didn't think that we would be 6-0 at this point, nor 0-6. One area I did hope to see improvement in, was our defense. We have a long way to go.

There are 129 teams in FBS. Here are our rankings according to the NCAA website

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21/p2

Total Defense 125
Scoring Defense 121
Yds per play 126
Rushing Defense 119
Red Zone Defense 112
Passing Yds Allowed 117

Whenever I read game day statistics I'm reminded of two quotes by Woody Hayes. "Statistics always remind me of a fellow who drowned in a river where the average depth was only three feet" and "The only meaningful statistic is the number of games won." As for me, I'm a win/lose person. However, the above posted statistics just reconfirm my thought that statistics are for losers.
Bear75605
CHP Bear said:

Whenever I read game day statistics I'm reminded of two quotes by Woody Hayes. "Statistics always remind me of a fellow who drowned in a river where the average depth was only three feet" and "The only meaningful statistic is the number of games won." As for me, I'm a win/lose person. However, the above posted statistics just reconfirm my thought that statistics are for losers.
You are exactly right! We are losers. The only stat you might need to see is T-125 on the Winning Percentage. By the way, that is tied for LAST!!!
SicThe12
YoakDaddy said:

Our defensive stats are so bad because we're not tough enough yet.
we need more losses.
Squatch Hunter
Bearish said:

We're just so young...Freshmen and sophomores all over the place. Not excusing numbers that bad, but building experience in the complicated scheme will help - some of the young guys have serious talent. But it needs to improve big time next year.
But part of the problem with being this poor this year is that we do not get the extra bowl practices so that this young talent can learn the complicated system. They will have 4 months between practices.
BrutalBear
Jacques Strap said:

Krieg said:

Black_Storm said:

$4 million to go between 5-7 and 7-5 with an occasional 8-4 is a very good job.
As much as I hate to say it, $4 million to go between 0-12 and 4-8 with an occasional 5-7 is an even better job.
Jacques Strap
I guess these type off "this is the new reality" threads die quickly with ~35 replies because they are so full of the obvious. I mean there is not much to discuss, it just is what it is. The new reality sucks.
Sailor Bear
Squatch Hunter said:

Bearish said:

But part of the problem with being this poor this year is that we do not get the extra bowl practices so that this young talent can learn the complicated system. They will have 4 months between practices.

Absolutely.
0xdeadbeef
Bearish said:

Squatch Hunter said:

Bearish said:

Absolutely.
"Bowl practices" are one of the most overrated things in the history of sport. About the only time bowl practices are worth anything is if you have a very young QB learning a new system. For most of the team, bowl practices are incredibly overrated and getting an extra 6 weeks of offseason training would be preferable for most, particularly OL and defensive front 7.
ColomboLQ
0xdeadbeef said:

Bearish said:

Squatch Hunter said:

Bearish said:

Absolutely.
"Bowl practices" are one of the most overrated things in the history of sport. About the only time bowl practices are worth anything is if you have a very young QB learning a new system. For most of the team, bowl practices are incredibly overrated and getting an extra 6 weeks of offseason training would be preferable for most, particularly OL and defensive front 7.
Wow.
robby44
80sBEAR said:

Jacques Strap said:

Right
Too young and not enough talent
I'm afraid this is what we will hear as standard excuses
Gust Avrakotos
Thee loves Yoda Snow.....why aren't you guys giving this more time?
0xdeadbeef
ColomboLQ said:

0xdeadbeef said:

Bearish said:

Squatch Hunter said:

Bearish said:

Absolutely.
Wow.
There's a reason the NFL has OTAs spaced out - technique comes and goes, and it's better to have refreshers spread out. Technique you're learning in early December can leave by late Spring and especially summer. There's a reason most NCAA / NFL training camps are a simple combo of technique + installs.

But sure, just say "Wow" like I said the sun rose in the west.
Keyser Soze

So our stats reflect our record ....

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.