Football
Sponsored by

Since most of what I post. . .

7,310 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oldbear83
Cold Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gets deleted, this is probably just an exercise in therapeutic futility. I really have no idea what difference it makes. If we somehow recover from this and start to beat UT and win conference championships again, invariably a situation involving college-aged students having sex will occur. One of our male athletes will have sex with someone. The powers that be in Austin will jump all over this. If it is a large African-American male having sex with a little white girl, centuries of racism will be used to stir the country into emotional turmoil, relying on the overused and over-hyped myth of the dangerous black man raping innocent white women, and our Board of Regents, who are all white, all Baptist, all naive, and probably all racist, will freak out and destroy another football program without bothering to defend Baylor.
Oldbear83
OK, I want to play too.

I have finally been able to grasp - as a concept at least - that there really are regents at Baylor that believe prominence in college football is somehow a bad thing for Baylor. They want moral leaders, which I like, but they get offended if a coach starts to show a higher profile than staid icons like the Browning Library, Pat Neff Hall, or the egos of the Pharisaically Flatulent.

This means that Baylor Football will be allowed a measure of success, even an occasional bowl game, but actual conference championships are discouraged, and notions of a CFP team will be slammed as unacceptable.

Perhaps one day, in the far future, this may change, but for now there are regents who put their egos ahead of everything else, and we alumni better not get uppity.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
PartyBear
If only there was a great coach out there named something like Jesus Cruz. He would survive. The BOR would love all the green and gold Jesus Rules shirts and the in unison chants of "Jesus, Jesus....! out at McLane not realizing it was about the HC.
FWBear91
I reject any implication that championship football and a team and coaching staff who don't rape women and get in other legal problems are mutually exclusive.

Excellence on the football field and high moral and Christian character can, believe it or not, exist in the same individual. My hope is that Rhule is recruiting cultivating both in his players and staff.
Oldbear83
FWBear91 said:

I reject any implication that championship football and a team and coaching staff who don't rape women and get in other legal problems are mutually exclusive.

Excellence on the football field and high moral and Christian character can, believe it or not, exist in the same individual. My hope is that Rhule is recruiting cultivating both in his players and staff.
Remind me again why we lost to Liberty and UTSA, both at home?

MilliVanilli
FWBear91 said:

Amen.
MilliVanilli
Oldbear83 said:

FWBear91 said:

A bad team gave up more points than it scored.
Krieg
FWBear91 said:

Do you think a coach can win national titles while following all NCAA rules?

Strong Christian character should dictate that they try to follow them all, so do you think that's possible?
LiBeartarian
FWBear91 said:

Other than just wanting to join the BOI and spread false stories to justify their raping of the football program, clue us in on just one of the coaching staff that raped a woman. What a stupidly false and totally reckless post.
Are you one of the lying morally superior Pharisee's that cried out in anguish?
syme
Briles is white and he BY FAR took the most blame for this at Baylor and especially in the media.
Dubbicans
Cold Bear said:

gets deleted, this is probably just an exercise in therapeutic futility. I really have no idea what difference it makes. If we somehow recover from this and start to beat UT and win conference championships again, invariably a situation involving college-aged students having sex will occur. One of our male athletes will have sex with someone. The powers that be in Austin will jump all over this. If it is a large African-American male having sex with a little white girl, centuries of racism will be used to stir the country into emotional turmoil, relying on the overused and over-hyped myth of the dangerous black man raping innocent white women, and our Board of Regents, who are all white, all Baptist, all naive, and probably all racist, will freak out and destroy another football program without bothering to defend Baylor.

"merry xmas dick head"

--BealBear
MilliVanilli
Krieg said:

FWBear91 said:

Do you think a coach can win national titles while following all NCAA rules?

Strong Christian character should dictate that they try to follow them all, so do you think that's possible?
Are you asking someone to choose between the two? What value is a national championship pursued at all costs?

What are those costs you're willing to bear?

Seems you can win with character, see Tom Landry.
FWBear91
Krieg said:

FWBear91 said:

Do you think a coach can win national titles while following all NCAA rules? YES

Strong Christian character should dictate that they try to follow them all, so do you think that's possible? YES (granted, the rules can be onerous, self-contradictory, unfair, and poorly enforced, but generally speaking, yes, the athletic program should attempt to comply)
FWBear91
LiBeartarian said:

FWBear91 said:

Other than just wanting to join the BOI and spread false stories to justify their raping of the football program, clue us in on just one of the coaching staff that raped a woman. What a stupidly false and totally reckless post.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. But please read the sentence more carefully. Two groups: team and staff. Two actions: rape and other legal problems. I don't want to see players or coaches who rape, and don't want to see players or coaches who get into other legal troubles. This post alone makes no claim that any of the above has happened. I was responding to the tone of the OP (and others across the board), who seems to imply that if we want to play championship football at Baylor, we will have to tolerate some criminals in the program and turn a blind eye. That is what I'm rejecting.
MilliVanilli
FWBear91 said:

LiBeartarian said:

FWBear91 said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. But please read the sentence more carefully. Two groups: team and staff. Two actions: rape and other legal problems. I don't want to see players or coaches who rape, and don't want to see players or coaches who get into other legal troubles. This post alone makes no claim that any of the above has happened. I was responding to the tone of the OP (and others across the board), who seems to imply that if we want to play championship football at Baylor, we will have to tolerate some criminals in the program and turn a blind eye. That is what I'm rejecting.
There was no misunderstanding, that's the knee jerk manner certain people here interpret anything that is unfavorable to the dismissed regime.
Oldbear83
FWBear91 said:

LiBeartarian said:

FWBear91 said:

I disagree. I believe the OP is addressing the way the BOR went about dealing with the problem. The evidence can be found in that, while the Board was quick to get rid of the Head Football Coach, the AD, and the President of the University, no meaningful action was taken to ensure student safety from sexual assault, no mechanism is yet in place to audit administration responses to claims of assault, and not one member of the Board has publicly admitted they shared in responsibility for the matter. Media relations for more than a year have been handled execrably, with implied guilt heaped on athletes (including many who are guilty of nothing), athletic department staff, and the students for somehow encouraging a 'culture' that - to hear the media - encourages rape. Never mind what the statistics actually say, never mind the actual outcome of real-world criminal cases, never mind that even Pepper Hamilton's report laid a lot of blame on the board.

I have a wife and daughters. I would never tolerate a threat to their safety. To my mind, this issue is certainly worth a serious effort to protect student safety. But what the Board has done so far is morally equivalent to my HOA telling me that kicking out the black families from my neighborhood will keep my home from being robbed. It's not only false and insulting to good people, it does nothing to really protect anyone.

I want to be clear that I trust Coach Rhule in ethical and professional terms. I am severely disappointed in the quality of his results on the field, but I trust that he will build the team to win, and, like Grant Teaff, cares as much about the players' success as students and mature adults as he does in playing a game. But the chicanery by the Board is unconscionable, and while there are good men and women there too, they have been far too silent and far too willing to let good people be falsely blamed for the board's responsibility. When the Board finally accepts its own accountability, then I believe we will finally move forward from this scandal. But that responsibility does not lie on the alumni, the coaches, or the players, but on the people with the power to make real change happen.
syme
Is Jasmine Hernandez one of the white girls OP speaks of?
nafprat
Cold Bear said:

You are really stupid.
Bear75605
Oldbear83 said:

I disagree. I believe the OP is addressing the way the BOR went about dealing with the problem. The evidence can be found in that, while the Board was quick to get rid of the Head Football Coach, the AD, and the President of the University, no meaningful action was taken to ensure student safety from sexual assault, no mechanism is yet in place to audit administration responses to claims of assault, and not one member of the Board has publicly admitted they shared in responsibility for the matter. Media relations for more than a year have been handled execrably, with implied guilt heaped on athletes (including many who are guilty of nothing), athletic department staff, and the students for somehow encouraging a 'culture' that - to hear the media - encourages rape. Never mind what the statistics actually say, never mind the actual outcome of real-world criminal cases, never mind that even Pepper Hamilton's report laid a lot of blame on the board.

I have a wife and daughters. I would never tolerate a threat to their safety. To my mind, this issue is certainly worth a serious effort to protect student safety. But what the Board has done so far is morally equivalent to my HOA telling me that kicking out the black families from my neighborhood will keep my home from being robbed. It's not only false and insulting to good people, it does nothing to really protect anyone.

I want to be clear that I trust Coach Rhule in ethical and professional terms. I am severely disappointed in the quality of his results on the field, but I trust that he will build the team to win, and, like Grant Teaff, cares as much about the players' success as students and mature adults as he does in playing a game. But the chicanery by the Board is unconscionable, and while there are good men and women there too, they have been far too silent and far too willing to let good people be falsely blamed for the board's responsibility. When the Board finally accepts its own accountability, then I believe we will finally move forward from this scandal. But that responsibility does not lie on the alumni, the coaches, or the players, but on the people with the power to make real change happen.
Amen! I don't believe that the board should go into explicit details regarding the past situation at Baylor. But I have never heard a member of the board, chairman, or administrator stand up and say "Whatever has happened in the past is not excusable and it will NOT happen on this campus ever. We will go to the end of the world to ensure our students the utmost safety". They have just sat silently and continued to hide their head the sand. Oklahoma addressed the Joe Mixon issue and it was dead with in a month.
Cold Bear
Old Bear,
You're the only respondent who could pass a reading comprehension test. The silly post about Jasmine Hernandez not being a white girl is just that, silly. Regardless of my stupidity I am occasionally referenced in discussions of race and class distinctions and discrimination in America. Brown little girls are not privileged as much as white little girls, but they are certainly privileged more than black little girls and big scary black men, and all of this is about nothing more than the a fear of big black scary men, and making sure that no one ever again dares to dominate the University of Texas in winning conference football championships. If only Gary Patterson were actually smart enough to out coach Art, they would have uncovered some sexual assaults in Forth Worth, yet shockingly Baylor remains the only college campus in America where football players have assaulted women. It's bad enough when non-Baylor people buy this ***** It's pathetic for you to love and support Baylor and not understand what a complete straw man this crap was and not understand how incompetent our Board of Regents is.
PervertedLittleTarts
The good news for many here is that there is no minimum IQ required as a prerequisite to post
NoBSU
Oldbear83 said:

FWBear91 said:

We cut back on raping coeds?
Krieg
FWBear91 said:

Krieg said:

FWBear91 said:

Do you think a coach can win national titles while following all NCAA rules? YES

Strong Christian character should dictate that they try to follow them all, so do you think that's possible? YES (granted, the rules can be onerous, self-contradictory, unfair, and poorly enforced, but generally speaking, yes, the athletic program should attempt to comply)

Then this is where we disagree. I don't think you can win big in college athletics (at least in football and men's basketball) while also following all the rules. It's never even attempted in reality, and I guarantee you Rhule breaks routes just like Briles did, and just like Teaff did. You don't recruit from nothing to the class we got last year as quickly as we did it without doing something that's over the line.

The thing is, EVERYONE cheats. You have to because the competition is cheating and the NCAA doesn't care about their own rules most of the time.
EasyE
MilliVanilli said:

Oldbear83 said:

FWBear91 said:

A badly coached team gave up more points than it scored.

FIFY
RegentCoverup
PervertedLittleTarts said:

The good news for many here is that there is no minimum IQ required as a prerequisite to post
Yeah, I really enjoy the characterization that because a group of people in a room are "all white" they are by default racist.

But say if a group of people were Vietnamese, or a Hispanic, they'd be open, tolerant and a model of equality.
RegentCoverup
Cold Bear said:

and our Board of Regents, who are all white, all Baptist, all naive, and probably all racist, will freak out and destroy another football program without bothering to defend Baylor.
Undercover racist
Sailor Bear
Cold Bear said:

Hard to imagine why your posts are deleted...
80sBEAR
34 BOR members and no minorities. Not even a single token black member. The six women are not allowed to speak (not sure if they are allowed to drive or not). As an old balding white man, I think this absolutely sucks!!! It is not 1963 anymore.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Timbear
Of course Baylor can have a championship team and all the publicity and excitement that comes with it, and have a clear Christian mission, but there's a huge question of whether or not our BOR thinks we can. If Rhule ever gets us to a championship level again(and that's a big if), the BOR will come calling. All Rhule has to do to retire here is go 7-5 each year with an occasional 8-4. After a speech about building men(which is good), they'll be throwing contract renewals at him.
Dubbicans
Krieg said:

FWBear91 said:

Krieg said:

FWBear91 said:

Then this is where we disagree. I don't think you can win big in college athletics (at least in football and men's basketball) while also following all the rules. It's never even attempted in reality, and I guarantee you Rhule breaks routes just like Briles did, and just like Teaff did. You don't recruit from nothing to the class we got last year as quickly as we did it without doing something that's over the line.

The thing is, EVERYONE cheats. You have to because the competition is cheating and the NCAA doesn't care about their own rules most of the time.

"merry xmas dick head"

--BealBear
Oldbear83
PervertedLittleTarts said:

Strictly speaking that's not true. There is the minimal ability to form words and type them, in addition to being able to log in.

I might also note that even the best of us have days when we choose words poorly. If Ghandi stubbed his toe against a table, I doubt he gently wished the table well, but expressed his displeasure in human terms like anyone else. And we are far from Ghandi in stature.
nafprat
Cold Bear said:

Old Bear,
You're the only respondent who could pass a reading comprehension test. The silly post about Jasmine Hernandez not being a white girl is just that, silly. Regardless of my stupidity I am occasionally referenced in discussions of race and class distinctions and discrimination in America. Brown little girls are not privileged as much as white little girls, but they are certainly privileged more than black little girls and big scary black men, and all of this is about nothing more than the a fear of big black scary men, and making sure that no one ever again dares to dominate the University of Texas in winning conference football championships. If only Gary Patterson were actually smart enough to out coach Art, they would have uncovered some sexual assaults in Forth Worth, yet shockingly Baylor remains the only college campus in America where football players have assaulted women. It's bad enough when non-Baylor people buy this ***** It's pathetic for you to love and support Baylor and not understand what a complete straw man this crap was and not understand how incompetent our Board of Regents is.

Ok, you are REALLY stupid.
Krieg
Dubbicans said:

Krieg said:

FWBear91 said:

Krieg said:

FWBear91 said:

Adding to the conversation as usual I see.
RegentCoverup
80sBEAR said:

34 BOR members and no minorities. Not even a single token black member. The six women are not allowed to speak (not sure if they are allowed to drive or not). As an old balding white man, I think this absolutely sucks!!! It is not 1963 anymore.

The board isn't representative of Baylor University on a multitude of levels.

But that doesn't make it a race issue by default.

If they were doing their jobs I wouldn't care if they were all (insert race).
80sBEAR
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

80sBEAR said:

The board isn't representative of Baylor University on a multitude of levels.

But that doesn't make it a race issue by default.

If they were doing their jobs I wouldn't care if they were all (insert race).
For the most part, I agree with your post. I would like to see the BOR at least make an attempt to more closely reflect the demographic makeup of the student body.

Like General George Patton once said, "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone is not thinking."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.