Football
Sponsored by

Team Meeting Between 3rd and 4th Quarters

9,925 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by historian
Bear in AL
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did anybody else notice the team meeting on the field between the 3rd and 4th quarters? I looked over to the Baylor sideline and did not see a single soul. CMR had gathered the entire team, coaches, personnel, staff, and everyone onto the field into a huddle. Did anyone else witness that?

I wonder what CMR said? Was it a Come to Jesus speech? We know what happened next.
Bona Fide Bear
Whatever he said, he needs to start saying it before the game starts.
BaylorProud77
Bona Fide Bear said:

Whatever he said, he needs to start saying it before the game starts.
lol, gotta agree with that, lol
CorsicanaBear

Quote:

We know what happened next.
We lost.
Illigitimus non carborundum
EvilTroyAndAbed
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

We lost.

Who brought Captain Happy to the party?
BellCountyBear
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

We lost.

timetraveler
Matt Rhule has put us in a position to talk about moral victories over West Virginia. I can't think of anyone that has destroyed a program faster.
Mothra
Someone who was at the game told me he noticed WVU started pulling their starters when they were up big in the 3rd. Can anyone confirm? Couldn't tell on TV. Does anyone else wonder if the reason we were able to come back on them is because WVU let their guard down?
0xdeadbeef
timetraveler said:

Matt Rhule has put us in a position to talk about moral victories over West Virginia. I can't think of anyone that has destroyed a program faster.

Art Briles?
0xdeadbeef
Mothra said:

Someone who was at the game told me he noticed WVU started pulling their starters when they were up big in the 3rd. Can anyone confirm? Couldn't tell on TV. Does anyone else wonder if the reason we were able to come back on them is because WVU let their guard down?

No they didn't
CorsicanaBear
Sorry but football has a binary solution. 1's and 0's. Wins or losses. This one was a loss. One of 7 in a row this season. Nothing but a win can change that. There was no winning this Saturday, whatever we may wish to tell ourselves.

Illigitimus non carborundum
Mothra
Thanks. He said they pulled d lineman and linebackers but left the starting corners in. Then when we scored they went back in.

Still wonder how much of it was WVU backing off.
Bona Fide Bear
timetraveler said:

This team went from contending for B12 championships and potential national championships to losing 6 straight games to end the regular season last year. On top of that, we had some pretty big hits on the recruiting trail at the end of the last staff's tenure. I'm not making excuses for Rhule and this dumpster fire of a season, but this downward spiral started long before Rhule got here.
Mothra
While true it's gotten worse since he's been in charge. You admit as much. Losses to Liberty and UTSA are inexcusable.

Let's hope we see some improvement moving forward
greatdivide
0xdeadbeef said:

Mothra said:

No they didn't
I stated in the 3rd Dana was going for the kill like we use to do. They were going fast hurry up and just slashing us with the run. They were trying to score fast. They definitely had not taken their foot off like I've read others post.
MilliVanilli
timetraveler said:

Art Briles, the answer you're looking for is Art Briles destroyed a program.
bear2be2
Mothra said:

While true it's gotten worse since he's been in charge. You admit as much. Losses to Liberty and UTSA are inexcusable.

I agree wholeheartedly about the first two losses. Neither should have ever happened.

But we've been far more competitive in Big 12 play this season than we were to end the 2016 season with a far less seasoned -- and in the case of our offensive line and defensive secondary, talented -- roster. Because of the bowl win, which was an oasis in the desert on several levels, people tend to forget just how hopeless Baylor football games felt from the Texas game on in 2016. Most couldn't wait for the season to end.

We've been a bad football team for quite a while now, and as pointed out above, that didn't start with Matt Rhule's tenure. Now it's Rhule's job to fix it, and no one's going to feel sorry for him while he does it. But it's going to take more time than most here have afforded him to clean up the mess he inherited.
RioRata
Bear in AL said:

Did anybody else notice the team meeting on the field between the 3rd and 4th quarters? I looked over to the Baylor sideline and did not see a single soul. CMR had gathered the entire team, coaches, personnel, staff, and everyone onto the field into a huddle. Did anyone else witness that?

I wonder what CMR said? Was it a Come to Jesus speech? We know what happened next.

CMR: "Hey guys, remember that offensive stuff y'all used to run? Can y'all give us a crash course real quick? My ass is kinda on the line here."
greatdivide
Mothra said:

Losses to Liberty and UTSA are inexcusable.
Perfect example from the other thread. I love these statements now. Arguing with air. It is lIke saying

Water is wet! Ice is cold! Fire is hot!

Who is debating this? I am entertained by the crowd who continues to state this. I'm rooting for you and hope you win this argument... Air can be difficult to convince but I'm on board.
MilliVanilli
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

I agree wholeheartedly about the first two losses. Neither should have ever happened.

But we've been far more competitive in Big 12 play this season than we were to end the 2016 season with a far less seasoned -- and in the case of our offensive line and defensive secondary, talented -- roster. Because of the bowl win, which was an oasis in the desert on several levels, people tend to forget just how hopeless Baylor football games felt from the Texas game on in 2016. Most couldn't wait for the season to end.

We've been a bad football team for quite a while now, and as pointed out above, that didn't start with Matt Rhule's tenure. Now it's Rhule's job to fix it, and no one's going to feel sorry for him while he does it. But it's going to take more time than most here have afforded him to clean up the mess he inherited.
You're wasting your breath trying to explain nuance to some of these people, they have convinced themselves Rhule inherited a Ferrari, and that the o-line is experienced and talented instead of depleted and enduring a severe learning curve.

They also pretend winning the Cactus Bowl is enough to ignore the fact that Baylor hasn't beaten a P5 team since KU on October 15th, 2016.

bear2be2
RioRata said:

Bear in AL said:

CMR: "Hey guys, remember that offensive stuff y'all used to run? Can y'all give us a crash course real quick? My ass is kinda on the line here."
You are a really ignorant football fan if you watched the fourth quarter last night and saw Art Briles' offense. I don't ever remember seeing a Briles-coached Baylor offense run the diamond formation we saw with Brewer in the game last night. We also didn't run much tempo, even late in the game when we were running two-minute offense. What you saw instead is what the Jeff Nixon offense will like once he gets the players he needs in here to run it.
RioRata
Mothra said:

That would be JJ Joe.
historian
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

We lost.
Yep. But we also scored 24 unanswered points in the 4th quarter. The only other time I remember that happening was October 11, 2014. True, the situations were totally different (ranked in the top 10, staring 6-0 again, conference title, etc), but considering what the team has been through in the past two years it was an amazing accomplishment.

Yes, we are 0-7 and so it is all but impossible to go bowling this year. However, did anyone seriously expect us to have a great season? I know I was hoping to ending with something respectable but I also knew that was unlikely.
PartyBear
I was expecting a team like we had in the 4 quarter last night all season. So yes I was expecting a decent season.
Dia del DougO
Rhule was trying to organize a quick Oklahoma drill to promote toughness in the fourth quarter, but then realized there wasn't enough time.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
When I saw Brewer come in I noticed a bunch of new players on the field, including the left tackle. Didn't notice Porter getting injured, so I figured Rhule had thrown in the towel and was just getting guys some playing time. Then I looked at WV's lineup and the still had their starters in.

I'm still not sure Rhule wasn't actually waving the white flag and it just sort of backfired on him.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Pale Rider
timetraveler said:

This is the dumbest post I have read in a week.

timetraveler better get up to speed; he's still in the twilight zone.
Pale Rider
Bona Fide Bear said:

timetraveler said:

This team went from contending for B12 championships and potential national championships to losing 6 straight games to end the regular season last year. On top of that, we had some pretty big hits on the recruiting trail at the end of the last staff's tenure. I'm not making excuses for Rhule and this dumpster fire of a season, but this downward spiral started long before Rhule got here.
And this is the Bona Fide truth!
Pale Rider
greatdivide said:

Mothra said:

Perfect example from the other thread. I love these statements now. Arguing with air. It is lIke saying

Who is debating this? I am entertained by the crowd who continues to state this. I'm rooting for you and hope you win this argument... Air can be difficult to convince but I'm on board.
go great. I stand with you brother.
ONelson15
I don't post here very much at all, mostly because if I did, it would probably end up in an argument with someone which is about the lowest level on the childish scale you can go on the internet. But I wanted to say that everyone who criticizes this team and coaching staff for this year's performance are getting really old to listen to. I don't know if you guys are Baylor alums, people from Waco who are fans, or fans of other teams who can only find meaning in there life if it involves trying to dampen someone else's day, which I hope are the latter because if not you "real" Baylor fans really should just live your lives doing something else and go support another team. If you really have pride in your school and team, then try and enjoy the game.
I work every weekend so that I can help pay to go to Baylor, which I think is best choice I have ever made. While I was at working, every second I got a chance to watch the game (I work at a restaurant) I was following the game, and when we were down in the 3rd quarter I can't lie and say I wasn't sad or upset, that would be a lie, but I was however never DISAPPOINTED. Do you realize what this football team has gone through and what it continues to go through? My roommate who is on the team, is the person I always talk to about the game's and practice and locker room stuff, and he said that for the first time since May of 2016, this game the football team was having fun. They were down by lets just say TOO MUCH, and even then they didn't stop fighting to try and come back and win, and if you can't appreciate the effort and perseverance that the players leave out on the field every game, then find another hobby. These 18-23+ (gotta include Kyle Boyd) have gone through hell for Baylor University and its fans, and continue to do as much as they can to give Baylor a good reputation.
Yes, we are 0-7 I hate it as much as anyone, but it doesn't help to just talk poorly about the coaches and players all the time, because there will come a time when the football team won't want to play for the fans anymore and that is when Baylor football will die.

Lets just take a quick look at the positives from this season so far and I won't be biased

Positives
1. Baylor has finally found its way out of its big scandal, and is actually getting some good publicity for the first time in awhile.
2. Every single game (excluding OSU) Baylor has been in the game till the end, and very important that we do not, and have not let anyone come into our home and run over us, we have pride which we had lost at the end of last season (bad losses to KSU, TCU at home)
3. Our recruits who are not necessarily big names in any way have really shown maturity, and grit. These young men had nothing to do with the scandal, and yet are willing to put their names on the line for Baylor and are clearly doing there best to change the future.
4. Our recruits are talented. Against West Virginia all touchdowns were scored by TRUE freshmen. Ebner was incredible (3 TDs), Brewer in a big moment stepped in and showed the WVU defense that he would not back down and led an unimaginable comeback, Lovett has been producing all year and obviously shown what Rhule and staff saw in him. We had Lynch get his first sack, and a big one which gave Baylor momentum, but offense couldn't produce from it, we have Newman, Miller on the O-line doing about as good as anyone else on the line, Galvin Holmes went for a very long reception as well as he had a big reception on one of the 4th quarter drives. Harrison Hand has been given the task of guarding week in and week out, some of the best receivers in the country, and while he has been badly burned he has also shown signs that with development and experience he can really be an asset to the Baylor defense (he obviously isn't too bad if he starts over so many other guys).
5. We have coaches that can really attract recruits, and if it wasn't for the 0-7 season, we would already have our full 2018 class committed.
6. Next year we have some serious transfers getting on the field Lockhart, Fruhmorgen, Hurd, and Beard (I have been told by other players and my roommate that Beard will be a great addition to the line.
7. Football is a minor aspect of ones life, and whether Baylor is the worst team in the country or the best team in the country, life will continue like it always has.

Negatives

1. Coaches have shown many signs of confusion during games both in how they handle scheme and personnel
2. Players have been injured all season, this may be a result of poor S&C, misused drills who knows but it is a problem and the coaches need to fix it
3. Not ALL players have bought into the Rhule philosophy
4. We are young, and some key leaders may be gone after the year (transfer, graduates, retirees)
5. The football team does not get the support it warrants (fans need to be at every game supporting regardless of record)
6. Since Baylor has been so good in recent years, the fans and mostly the new fans have become accustomed to winning and think losing is the end of the program, and the older fans think that winning was just a fluke and that only the great Art Briles knows how to win in Waco. But it was never promised that Baylor was going to be great right away. It was in everyone head that Baylor should be good because we have been. But look at Texas they have had the losing struggle for longer than we have in recent years but there is hope for the program and it is the same hope that Baylor has, but unfortunately we get 12 weeks out of the years to show the results of training and practicing from 8 months under the new coaches. If there is anyone out there that thinks they can come into a program that was so good, had such a big scandal, lost an amazing recruiting class, lost a lot of the fan base, turned over the entire football program, had very key players leave for draft early, and come in and fix the public image (Rhule did that, everyone he speaks to seems to love him), help the players develop on and off the field (Rhule did that too), Bring in a very solid recruiting class from what this season has shown in under 2 months (Rhule again), and put out a team every week that is injury depleted and come up barely short against top 25 teams in the nation (don't tell me we lost to Liberty, I know we did) then please sign up for the job, I will be as excited for you as I am for Rhule.

Our coaches have answered every challenge thrown at them perfectly so far except for winning games. I would much rather see a team that has good fundamentals and a good base which will lead to consistency in the program and success in the long run, then have a team go 9-3 this year, but have a team come out next year and not show signs of development or progress. I really hope that everyone can just sit back and accept that this season isn't going to end well in terms of our record. But when you watch a game like the one on Saturday night and see the intensity that Brewer had in the fourth quarter diving for first downs, trucking their defense, and showing great poise, the excitement of the bench when Baylor was rolling and see all the players really getting into the game, and see Baylor defense go hard every down and getting crucial stops in the fourth quarter after being picked apart the previous quarter. It is watching the sadness in the players eye's after the game because they truly wanted to win for everyone watching that game. I think it is an incredible thing to watch, because when it is all said and done, the men on the team now, both coaches and players, will one day be in the Baylor record book for having both one of the worst season in Baylor history but also for showing the courage and tenacity to fight and not give up and one day be at the top again.

In short, those of you who read this far (if anyone did) enjoy our team! They play exciting, heart-wrenching, annoying football games. If you can seriously say that you are not proud of the progress and the way the team has grown this year than I feel sorry for you, because you clearly cannot see some of the beautiful aspects of sports.

This Saturday for the first time since UTSA, I will be at McLane for the game and I can't count down the hours any faster till the kickoff, because I know that win or lose, blow out or not, I can happily cheer for my fellow Baylor Bears.
Mothra
bear2be2 said:

Mothra said:

No question you are correct we've been bad for a while. Contrary to Milli's straw man, I've never said Rhule inherited a Ferrari. In fact, I don't know anyone else who has predicted that either. In other words, I'm not saying the way this season has gone is all on him. But a lot of it is, as we both recognize.

As for Baylor being more competitive - not sure I can agree with that assessment at this juncture. We've played a couple of teams close at home - one of which I think is significantly overrated. We also have a few bad losses, however. Let's see how we do with the remaining schedule before making that assessment. Lots of football left.
Mothra
greatdivide said:

Mothra said:

I'm entertained by posters who continue to say Liberty and UTSA were inexcusable losses while arguing that everyone but Rhule is responsible for this debacle. It's as if that little caveat didn't mean a thing. That's the only reason I brought it up.

"Yes this coaching staff blew it in 2-3 games, but have faith, trust the process, it's going to work!" And yet, we have 2-3 games that suggest otherwise.

I don't think some of you guys understand the implications of what you're arguing.
YoakDaddy
I guess he might as well do motivational speeches between quarters because at 0-7 he's demonstrating he's not into Xs and Os.
Eball
MilliVanilli said:

timetraveler said:

Art Briles, the answer you're looking for is Art Briles destroyed a program.
CAB built the program and the BOR destroyed it...I do hope CMR can bring it back.

Both sides here have something to argue...our players have not given up and we showed a lot of potential in the 4th quarter...we are still 0-7 and with our talent we should not be...
Timbear
Onelson15 said he'd rather have good fundamentals than be 9-3. SMH. If our Defense, coached by No-Show Snow, wasn't ranked #125, even with a new offense, we'd be fine this year, because we've got better players than our D scheme shows.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.