Football
Sponsored by

Kaz hired by SMU

23,506 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Keyser Soze
GoldMind
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

Being unprepared, out of shape, and beaten by 3 at home to a team we were supposed to beat by 35 did indeed feel like the Steele years at that time, not only to me, but also to those sitting around me. Indeed, it did.

Huh. Everyone around me chalked it up to an anomaly and reminded each other that we were coming of a grotesque rape scandal and that it would take a minute to get back.

Sure that played a part in it. Coaching did as well.

But I was discussing what it felt like, not the reasons we sucked ass.

Felt like the time my little sister beat me at connect 4. Shook it off, won't happen again.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Mothra
Yes I am sure the idea that coaching played any part in how we looked last year is difficult for your mind to fathom.
Malbec
Liberty! Shake it off!

GoldMind
Mothra said:

Yes I am sure the idea that coaching played any part in how we looked last year is difficult for your mind to fathom.

Your reading comprehension sucks.
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Mothra
You mad again? Settle down.
GoldMind
Mothra said:

You mad again? Settle down.

Don't be thick
Krieg
Mothra said:

tommie said:

PervertedLittleTarts said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Can you really blame Rhule though for letting Kaz go when Baylor essentially did nothing but sh*t on the guy and his coworkers?

Yes. That's an easy one. He hasn't replaced him with better and he doesn't seem to understand August climate in Texas.

Two questions:

1) How do you know he hasn't replaced him with better?

2) He doesn't understand Texas' August climate? What do you mean by that?

Our team was gased against Liberty. (And other teams) Reminded me of the Guy Morriss teams that needed "pickle juice".

Briles teams played faster, more plays and more go routes.

Didn't seem gased. That tells me, current S&G coach didn't properly prepare the team for the Texas heat (which means he wasn't better).

Maybe they focused on the strength side of S&C.

So you think when they were here throughout the entire Texas summer prior to the season, they didn't notice that it was hot? Or could it be that the other teams that were playing primarily 20-23 year olds were pushing around our 18-19 year olds?

Yes, Rhule has made no bones about the fact that the focus of S&C is primarily on strength and mass moreso than conditioning. And during the Cotton Bowl, we got to see firsthand what can happen when facing a bigger, stronger team.

To the first question, yes. The team wasn't conditioned as usual.

As for MSU. I recall a block in the back and a blocked field goal because the holder moved up one yard. Neither has to do with strength or "toughness". We score the TD on the interception if we do nothing.

I agree that there's no doubt we those were huge and unnecessary errors, but what you saw that day was a team with superior skill players (Baylor) get manhandled by a team with superior strength and mass. We couldn't run the football on them to save our lives, and so when we got up by three scores, we couldn't burn clock and put the game away because their defense was punching our offense in the mouth, which kept MSU in the game. And on the flip side, their offense was taking advantage of our defense who had worn down and suddenly couldn't stop them.

So I don't know how you missed it, but strength and toughness won the game that day.

They didn't beat us with strength and toughness. We did enough to win and we did enough to lose. As happens with close games.

As for Hastey, all that muscle won't mean a thing if he can't go late in the game.

I'll counter your argument with Le'Veon Bell. Let's first agree he's a top 3 back in the NFL.

He became a better back once he lost all that mass. He came out of MSU at 245? He's listed at 225 but looks 215 to me.

Each position has different requirements and everyone at that level is tough. There's nothing those shows me "words" impact a games outcome more then preparation and stamina does.

I have no doubt that has the scandal not happened, Briles and Baylor wins a Natty. I doubt Rhule ever wins more then 8 at this level.

Regarding your final statement, perhaps, Perhaps not. We will never know. But who cares about hypotheticals because that don't pay the bills.

Bell is one player that is very much the exception to the rule. The other 99.9% of college and pro football players get better when they get bigger and stronger.

All right, so you think stamina is the Holy Grail to winning football games. So let me ask you this, how much did our stamina help us running the ball in that game? It's conventional wisdom that to win big football games you have to be able to run the ball well, correct? And do you recall what our rushing stats were for that game? -20 yards. Negative. Twenty.

Okay, so let's take out the yardage loss due to sacks. Our leading rusher was Shock who gained a whopping 26 yards at 2.4 yards per carry. Chafin and Jefferson both ended up at -2 yards apiece. Our OL got manhandled in the run game. So how's that work out for your stamina theory?

I don't think stamina is the holy grail. I think if you can't go after 10 minutes, or 1/2 then all that lifting is for naught.

You mean like in the 4th quarter against MSU?

Are you and I having a disagreement about a conference championship team that blew a lead against a top 5 team versus a one win team that lost to Liberty and UTSA?

What is wrong with me?
Mind boggling, isn't it? We must have won that conference championship and been up by 20 in the 4th in spite of our poor conditioning.

BTW, it was Bravion Roy who said we were unprepared and gassed in the Liberty game. Anyone who watched the game saw it. Reminded me of the Steele years.

I never saw a Steele team gassed against an FCS team.
Krieg
GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

Being unprepared, out of shape, and beaten by 3 at home to a team we were supposed to beat by 35 did indeed feel like the Steele years at that time, not only to me, but also to those sitting around me. Indeed, it did.

Huh. Everyone around me chalked it up to an anomaly and reminded each other that we were coming of a grotesque rape scandal and that it would take a minute to get back.

Sure that played a part in it. Coaching did as well.

But I was discussing what it felt like, not the reasons we sucked ass.

Felt like the time my little sister beat me at connect 4. Shook it off, won't happen again.

It happened again the next week.
bearlyafarmer
GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

The anomaly last season was the Kansas game. Assuming we aren't trying to redefine "anomaly."
Malbec
xiledinok said:

Malbec said:

xiledinok said:

Dimished capacity is taking a bunch of money from an NCAA school after a scandal, turning around and running a pr campaign against an NCAA school to the point that you should not to coach again in NCAA football and making yourself out to be a universally disliked coach.

I thought Kaz only handled football.
You thought wrong.

He didn't handle basketball and they were the best conditioned team on campus.
X, Kaz wasn't a football S&C coach; he was much more. He was an Associate AD who was head of Athletics Performance, and supervised that department's staff. Anybody that has watched our other teams this year can easily see a difference.
PervertedLittleTarts
Mothra said:

tommie said:

tommie said:

Doc Holliday said:

Can you really blame Rhule though for letting Kaz go when Baylor essentially did nothing but sh*t on the guy and his coworkers?

Yes. That's an easy one. He hasn't replaced him with better and he doesn't seem to understand August climate in Texas.

Two questions:

1) How do you know he hasn't replaced him with better?

2) He doesn't understand Texas' August climate? What do you mean by that?

Our team was gased against Liberty. (And other teams) Reminded me of the Guy Morriss teams that needed "pickle juice".

Briles teams played faster, more plays and more go routes.

Didn't seem gased. That tells me, current S&G coach didn't properly prepare the team for the Texas heat (which means he wasn't better).

Maybe they focused on the strength side of S&C.

So you think when they were here throughout the entire Texas summer prior to the season, they didn't notice that it was hot? Or could it be that the other teams that were playing primarily 20-23 year olds were pushing around our 18-19 year olds?

Yes, Rhule has made no bones about the fact that the focus of S&C is primarily on strength and mass moreso than conditioning. And during the Cotton Bowl, we got to see firsthand what can happen when facing a bigger, stronger team.
This is the kind of b.s. you spout that I referenced in another thread.

First, we didn't lose to MSU because we were not bigger or stronger, or worse conditioned. We lost because we got conservative, made a couple of bonehead plays, and then got a couple of bad calls against us. We win that game if we don't take our foot off the gas, IMO. Strength and mass had zero to do with it. If it did, we wouldn't have been up by 3 touchdowns in the third quarter. We had the largest offensive line in the conference, and the strongest defensive linemen in the conference. Strength and mass had zero to do with it. Just stupid.

As for your questions, our team was not composed last year primarily of 18-19 years olds, and again, anyone who suggests otherwise simply doesn't know the facts. Moreover, it was those first few games - against seriously inferior opponents from a talent perspective, that we looked gassed. Hell, even one of our DL came out and suggested it after the game - we were not prepared physically for that game.

And you say you're not an apologist...

Oh lookie, you're continuing to follow me around the board and trying your darndest to argue the points that I've made. How cute. It's too bad that you're failing so spectacularly at it.

Since you clearly know nothing about football, I'll explain a few simple concepts to you, even while I recognize in advance that it will overwhelm your simplistic mind. First, if our offensive line was strong, we wouldn't have finished the MSU game with NEGATIVE TWENTY rushing yards. You see, knowledgeable football people understand that. It's actually not even debatable.

Secondly, earlier I offered a long list of names of the actual players that were listed on our two-deep to start the season. Every one of those players were freshmen and sophomores. Now perhaps the majority of them repeated kindergarten a few times and so weren't 18 and 19 year olds like the rest of the freshman and sophomore college students in America, but somehow I doubt that's likely. So yes, a sizable percentage of our contributors last season were 18 and 19 year olds.

Now shoo and go to your room and play with your toys, the adults are trying to have a conversation here.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Malbec said:

xiledinok said:

Malbec said:

xiledinok said:

Dimished capacity is taking a bunch of money from an NCAA school after a scandal, turning around and running a pr campaign against an NCAA school to the point that you should not to coach again in NCAA football and making yourself out to be a universally disliked coach.

You thought wrong.

X, Kaz wasn't a football S&C coach; he was much more. He was an Associate AD who was head of Athletics Performance, and supervised that department's staff. Anybody that has watched our other teams this year can easily see a difference.

He didn't handle MBB, WBB, baseball, or softball as they all have their own guys. Most of the applied sciences team remains on campus. He wouldn't let one of those teams in the weight room for a recruiting visit.
Mothra
So somehow Baylor finished the best season in the history of our university - the only time we finished a season in the top ten - with an offensive line that wasn't very strong? Is that the line of bull **** you're selling? If so, you're even dumber than I've given you credit for - and that's saying something.

Moron, a team that finishes in the top ten, wins the conference, goes to the cotton bowl and finishes the season with a top 20 rushing attack is not a weak team merely because they got stopped by a Michigan State team that has 9 men in the box and whose game plan was to stop the run. Petty had all day in he pocket and passed them silly - to the tune of 550 yards. You take what the defense gives you and that's exactly what we did.

But no you're right - that game means Spencer Drango, Kyle Fuller and Blake Muir - three players drafted into the NFL - and not to mention Desmine Hilliard must have all been pretty weak.

You are a clown.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Brian Ethridge said:

Malbec said:

xiledinok said:

Malbec said:

xiledinok said:

You thought wrong.

He didn't handle MBB, WBB, baseball, or softball as they all have their own guys. Most of the applied sciences team remains on campus. He wouldn't let one of those teams in the weight room for a recruiting visit.

http://www.baylorbears.com/genrel/charlie_melton_89802.html

http://www.baylorbears.com/genrel/matt_shadeed_1045607.html

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Mothra said:

So somehow Baylor finished the best season in the history of our university - the only time we finished a season in the top ten - with an offensive line that wasn't very strong? Is that the line of bull **** you're selling? If so, you're even dumber than I've given you credit for - and that's saying something.

Moron, a team that finishes in the top ten, wins the conference, goes to the cotton bowl and finishes the season with a top 20 rushing attack is not a weak team merely because they got stopped by a Michigan State team that has 9 men in the box and whose game plan was to stop the run. Petty had all day in he pocket and passed them silly - to the tune of 550 yards. You take what the defense gives you and that's exactly what we did.

But no you're right - that game means Spencer Drango, Kyle Fuller and Blake Muir - three players drafted into the NFL - and not to mention Desmine Hilliard must have all been pretty weak.

You are a clown.

Muir didn't play that game or get drafted.
Mothra
Yup I was thinking of Broxton, who I believe is playing for the Ravens. So three of those "weak" offensive lineman are playing in the NFL. Pervert certainly has an interesting definition of weak.
PervertedLittleTarts
Broxton had a cup of coffee with the Ravens, and now is a free agent. I wish him the best.

If by clown you mean that I've been clowning you from one end of this board to the other, then at least you got one thing right today. You should have a cookie and celebrate.
Mothra

Broxton had a cup of coffee with the Ravens, and now is a free agent. I wish him the best.

If by clown you mean that I've been clowning you from one end of this board to the other, then at least you got one thing right today. You should have a cookie and celebrate.

Ah Broxton must be weak then. Lol.

Whatever you say sport. If that helps you sleep better. I think I'll let others be the judge of whether I or the guy who says Drango, Fuller, Hilliard and Broxton are weak is a clown but I must say - I like my chances.
GoldMind
Jay Lee threw a TD to Coleman for our second score of the game. Then we threw that pass to McGowan.

Why did holy briles feel the need to result to trickery?
PervertedLittleTarts
Mothra said:

Ah Broxton must be weak then. Lol.

Whatever you say sport. If that helps you sleep better. I think I'll let others be the judge of whether I or the guy who says Drango, Fuller, Hilliard and Broxton are weak is a clown but I must say - I like my chances.

Strange how act as if it's personal to me. I suppose emotionally and mentally fragile folks like yourself seem to think every discussion is personal.

No, on the contrary, I remain big fans of those guys and wish the game hadn't gone down the way it did, the way that folks with an understanding of football much deeper than your elementary at best level recognize that it did. And in those players' defense, it's not their fault; all S&C programs have to choose their priorities, which all require some sacrifice in other areas in order to achieve the overarching goal, and in Briles' case he opted for conditioning as the priority so that his players could run a hundred plays per game. That philosophy will unavoidably sacrifice some strength and mass as a result, just like the inverse would be true as well. And it worked more often than it didn't, so certainly no complaints there. But at the end of the day in the Cotton Bowl, it was one of the deciding factors in the loss.

But I've got better things to do with my time than fruitlessly attempt to educate you further, so I'd suggest you brush up with some reading. A good start for you would probably be Football for Dummies.
Mitch Blood Green
GoldMind said:

Jay Lee threw a TD to Coleman for our second score of the game. Then we threw that pass to McGowan.

Because MSU played D1 scholarship athletes, too.
REX
tommie said:

GoldMind said:

Because MSU played D1 scholarship athletes, too.

Ouch
Mothra
Briles strength and conditioning program got better results on the field that any program in Baylor history. I know you're a bitter dolt, but those are the facts pervert, which you claim to deal in. Even your little buddy gold mine recognized that it Callahan had done his job we wouldn't be having this conversation. The strength and conditioning was fine and won us tons of games. We can only hope that CMR can come close to that success.
Mothra
We agree on this. There was no need for the trickery. Coaching lost us that game, and some bonehead decisions by a few members of the team.
Mothra
I'm still laughing at the idea that Drango, Broxton, Muir and Hilliard were weak. Smh...what an idiot.
BUBear24
Mothra said:

Briles strength and conditioning program got better results on the field that any program in Baylor history. I know you're a bitter dolt, but those are the facts pervert, which you claim to deal in. Even your little buddy gold mine recognized that it Callahan had done his job we wouldn't be having this conversation. The strength and conditioning was fine and won us tons of games. We can only hope that CMR can come close to that success.

I can agree that Kaz was a great S&C coach, and he had a program developed to fit the type of players CAB wanted. But there's been a few guys from Temple that have come by and watched BU practice with Rhule that are current NFL players. I can't remember which one it is (Brian/Ashley are going to need to help me on his name), but he attested his S&C coach (Jeremy), for helping get him NFL ready.

We can all go by how upset we were by last years results. But I am going to give the S&C coach his chance just like CMR this year. The Sic Em guys have a nice continuing series over on premium called "Views from the Brazos". You can notice quite a change in the bodies of several key players, including Hasty/Brewer/Hand/OL Guys. Again they're being trained to fit the mold of what CMR wants not what CAB wanted. But they look good from the videos I've seen.
Keyser Soze
Mothra said:

Correlation is not causation.

Bill Winnington has three NBA Championship rings with the Bulls.

Not trying to put down Kaz, but you need more evidence to call him the straw that stirs the drink - that was Briles. IMO Briles would have had success with any number of S&C guys.

Forest Bueller
Mothra said:

I'm still laughing at the idea that Drango, Broxton, Muir and Hilliard were weak. Smh...what an idiot.
Muir was an UFA and stuck with Atlanta on the practice squad in 2016.

Like most UFA players he bounced from SF to GB to Atlanta to the Colts in 2017 placed on Injured reserved, then cut before the season started by the Colts.
Mothra
BUBear24 said:

Mothra said:

I can agree that Kaz was a great S&C coach, and he had a program developed to fit the type of players CAB wanted. But there's been a few guys from Temple that have come by and watched BU practice with Rhule that are current NFL players. I can't remember which one it is (Brian/Ashley are going to need to help me on his name), but he attested his S&C coach (Jeremy), for helping get him NFL ready.

We can all go by how upset we were by last years results. But I am going to give the S&C coach his chance just like CMR this year. The Sic Em guys have a nice continuing series over on premium called "Views from the Brazos". You can notice quite a change in the bodies of several key players, including Hasty/Brewer/Hand/OL Guys. Again they're being trained to fit the mold of what CMR wants not what CAB wanted. But they look good from the videos I've seen.

My comments regarding Kaz are in no way a slight toward the current strength and conditioning coaches. I'm merely mystified that anyone would suggest Briles and Kaz had weak players It's absurd.

As a premium board member I've been watching the videos you are referencing and agree. We have guys who seemed to have added a lot of bulk. While I have my doubts whether bulk and strength over speed and conditioning is the proper approach in our conference, Rhule gets to employ the kind of system he wants and I'm happy to give him time to prove they will work here. But we do need to see significant improvement this year.

Mothra
Keyser Soze said:

Mothra said:

Correlation is not causation.

Bill Winnington has three NBA Championship rings with the Bulls.

Not trying to put down Kaz, but you need more evidence to call him the straw that stirs the drink - that was Briles. IMO Briles would have had success with any number of S&C guys.

I agree that Briles could have succeeded anywhere but those around the program k ow how important Kaz was to our success. He wasn't merely along for the ride. It was an integral part of our program.
Dnicknames
Some forget Coach Kaz was the strength coach at South Florida before Baylor, where he helped USF become the #2 ranked team in the county his last year. USF, number 2, nationally.

Kaz left USF for a downtrodden Baylor program, where he helped Baylor reach #1 nationally. Repeating the success from USF at Baylor wasn't luck.

SMU coaches are telling parkies they hired the top college strength coach in the county. I agree with them.
GoldMind
Dnicknames said:

Some forget Coach Kaz was the strength coach at South Florida before Baylor, where he helped USF become the #2 ranked team in the county his last year. USF, number 2, nationally.

Kaz left USF for a downtrodden Baylor program, where he helped Baylor reach #1 nationally. Repeating the success from USF at Baylor wasn't luck.

SMU coaches are telling parkies they hired the top college strength coach in the county. I agree with them.

We've never been ranked number 1. #3 was the highest. Just FYI
Mothra
Dnicknames said:

I remember when we ran over a good UCLA team in the Holiday Bowl, how the UCLA coaches were talking about how big, strong and well-conditioned our players were. Kaz did indeed do an amazing job. The players loved him and he got the most out of them.

Hopefully we will feel the same way about the current staff in a few years.
Mothra
Forest Bueller said:

Mothra said:

Muir was an UFA and stuck with Atlanta on the practice squad in 2016.

Like most UFA players he bounced from SF to GB to Atlanta to the Colts in 2017 placed on Injured reserved, then cut before the season started by the Colts.
Gosh, he must have been really weak!

Forest Bueller
GoldMind said:

Dnicknames said:

We've never been ranked number 1. #3 was the highest. Just FYI
When the Baylor football team takes the field Saturday against West Virginia, it will do so in a way the Bears never have before as the No. 2 team in the nation.
In both major polls released this week (the AP and Coaches Poll), head coach Art Briles' squad is ranked No. 2 the highest ranking in the program's 113-year history. The Bears had previously reached No. 3 in the rankings twice, in 1953 and 2013.
More than 20% of the Associated Press writers who voted in the AP poll put the Bears at No. 1 on their ballots, as Baylor received 13 first-place votes believed to be the most in program history.
What has propelled the Bears to such record heights? Well, there's the offense, of course, which again leads the nation in both points per game and yards per game (after having paced the country in both categories in 2013 and 2014, too). Baylor is the only program to be among the nation's top 10 in both passing (8th) and rushing (2nd) yards per game. Quarterback Seth Russell leads the country in five categories, including passing efficiency and passing touchdowns, while wide receiver Corey Coleman tops the nation in touchdown catches (13 one shy of the Baylor single-season record) and scoring, and ranks 4th in receiving yards per game.

Oct. 13, 2015

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.